PDA

View Full Version : Pass Me by & Dirty Magic Re-Recorded

sebastienfan
05-21-2007, 09:00 PM
hey guys
I just tought we could started a new thread about this because there is more chances that Dexter read it and its kinda getting confusing about that thing " We‘re not putting any songs on the new record that were previously recorded." so what happend to those two songs???

What I would like to say to Dexter and the others: okay, we are slowly getting some light on the upcoming but thats fine, take your time and get us a great album. what about " Pass Me By" ? is this song is really the song at the end of that video where we see Dexter playing CGMHAY?? And you mentioned something a bout Dirty Magic re-recorded, whats going with it?

ok, to resume take a look at this:

Got Some New Stuff (Dexter)
08/18/06
Trivia for you guys…there was one outtake from Splinter. It was called ‘Pass Me By‘. We really liked it, and all, it was sort of heavy and we just decided to hold off on releasing it. So take that one straight to the BBS!

Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06
The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums. That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it. It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…

Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
05/11/07
Hey, I‘ve read a few things out there where it has been suggested that some of the songs on our new record might be older material, like outtakes or re-recordings of old songs.
So I just wanted to let you know that the songs we‘ve recorded for our upcoming CD are all completely new. We‘re not putting any songs on the new record that were previously recorded. That would be cheating, wouldn‘t it?

Im just looking for a explanation while im waiting for the new album.

F@ BANKZ
05-21-2007, 10:48 PM
There is always a chance these two tracks will be released as B-sides to the upcoming singles. I think that would potentially be the most appropriate method of release for these tracks.

zacsta
05-21-2007, 11:06 PM
well, he didnt say they'd put pass me by on the new album, he just implyed they might, simply to throw us off. but by saying this he might be throwing us off again, you's are all saying how you want it to be a suprise or unexpected, well maybe he read this and suddenly pass me by will be the main single for the album. itd be funny if he didnt tell us and just straight out put it on the radio.
pretty much same goes for dirty magic re-recording, all he said was that he recorded it. but im guessing itll be a hidden track, b-side on a single, or on the CD bonus stuff.

Jojan
05-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Pass Me By is probably only demoed or recorded but not released. I'm sure Dexter meant that re-recordings of old songs that have been released on previous records will be recorded again.

Maybe the Dirty Magic one just won't come on the album, but maybe on Offspringnation or something.

It would be quite fun with a bonus CD along with the "real" one with The Offspring playing their old songs. Or maybe did maybe new lyrics for music and new music with old lyrics. Something like that.

And I hope the band won't put Can't Repeat on the album. Not because it's a bad song, but because it has allready been released. I hope Dexter stick to his words.

DefaultNinja
05-22-2007, 07:14 AM
It'd be sweet is Pass Me By got put on here out of kindness, then maybe on one of their singles from the 'new album'. I hope Dex tells us about this someday.

Bazza
05-22-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't suppose anyone could upload/link to the small snippet of Pass Me By that is available. I've got it somewhere but can't remember where!

Grabbal
05-22-2007, 07:38 AM

DefaultNinja
05-22-2007, 07:50 AM
If you're going to make your own interpretation of the song, then record it and upload it.

HeadAroundU
05-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Bazza, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0utghAJdkfI

It's pretty fucking clear:
NO 'Pass me by', NO 'Dirty Magic' and NO 'Can't Repeat' on the new record.

Why?
Because it probably doesn't flow with the new stuff.

At what status (demo, finished or whatever...) are those songs?
Nobody knows except the band. It doesn't fuckin' matter. I'm sure we will hear them one day.

Grabbal, I think somebody posted it already. The search button but I'm not entirely sure about it. :o

Peedr
05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't suppose anyone could upload/link to the small snippet of Pass Me By that is available. I've got it somewhere but can't remember where!Here you are: http://www.offspringthe.ic.cz/Download/Pass_Me_By_(Intro).mp3

Demon_of_Debauchery
05-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Speaking of "Pass me by", anyone have any tabs of what's shown of the song? (guitar)
Here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/pass_me_by_intro_tab.htm) is a tab for it. I think it was someone on here who tabbed it but I can't remember who.

Coleby
05-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Can somebody please tell me exactly what a demo is?

Grabbal
05-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Steady
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
hmm, for all we know, they may have played around with how pass me by sounds and decided to change it around, give it a new name etc...

Bazza
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Here you are: http://www.offspringthe.ic.cz/Download/Pass_Me_By_(Intro).mp3

Thank you very much! It's been ages since I've heard this, thanks!

The_Special_Delivery
05-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Today 03:59 PM
Steady hmm, for all we know, they may have played around with how pass me by sounds and decided to change it around, give it a new name etc...

Yeah,I'd agree with that.I don't know...Takes Me Nowhere give me the same vibe Pass Me By does.Maybe there's a link,it's weird Dexter just tells us he wrote lyrics for one random song.Or he just felt doing it.

Venom Symbiote
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
If they release "Pass Me By", whether as originally planned or as tinkering with it to evolve it into a completely new song, it better fucking be on the album.

Re-recordings of old songs should be left to bonus tracks on singles, or even just released online or something.

But "Pass Me By", being new unreleased material, should be on the album itself.

sebastienfan
05-22-2007, 05:42 PM
my interpretation of pass me by

http://files-upload.com/242500/intro.wav.html

HeadAroundU
05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
If they release "Pass Me By", whether as originally planned or as tinkering with it to evolve it into a completely new song, it better fucking be on the album.

Re-recordings of old songs should be left to bonus tracks on singles, or even just released online or something.

But "Pass Me By", being new unreleased material, should be on the album itself.
They could make 'Pass Me By' as the last track or the hidden track, like they did it with 'Pay The Man'. With 23 demos they have plenty songs that flow together so they deciced to hold on again. Maybe it's something totally different opposed to the new stuff or good enough as a single for B-side album. God knows...

my interpretation of pass me by

http://files-upload.com/242500/intro.wav.html
You should finish it so we know how it possibly sounds. :p

TheOldMark
05-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Bazza,
It's pretty fucking clear:
NO 'Pass me by', NO 'Dirty Magic' and NO 'Can't Repeat' on the new record.

Why?
Because it probably doesn't flow with the new stuff.

while it probably wont be on the new album, it is almost certain that dm will come out as a bside, bonus track, whatev. we will hear it, because we demand it. it is a beautiful song.

Zee
05-22-2007, 06:20 PM
If you're going to make your own interpretation of the song, then record it and upload it.

Hah, I got an idea. In a few days I'll continue the intro and try to make it about a three minute song. I'll try to go into Dexter's head and figure how it could go, just for fun. Of couse I'll make it so that it sounds good to me, a little challenge. I can record guitars and drums. I'll come back to this... everyone should do now their own versions of Pass Me By! It's easy because the tempo is there and stuff. ;)

HeadAroundU
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
while it probably wont be on the new album, it is almost certain that dm will come out as a bside, bonus track, whatev. we will hear it, because we demand it. it is a beautiful song.
Maybe the Japanese version will have it as a bonus track. :p

At some point we will get both songs.

Jack-UK
05-23-2007, 02:34 AM
I need a new dirty magic recording.. after getting a live version i cant go back to the ignition version :S

Venom Symbiote
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
What's wrong with the Ignition version? "Lolzolzlollipops, CHEAP! omgiggles".

Damn n00bz.

Coleby
05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
What's wrong with the Ignition version? "Lolzolzlollipops, CHEAP! omgiggles".

Damn n00bz.

After you hear a better version, it's hard to go back and enjoy a rough recording.

Venom Symbiote
05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
But it's...not a rough recording. What are you smoking?

This re-recording bullshit, I'm smelling another Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde". The original is an amazing classic, the re-recording with the Lacuna Coil chick singing backup (although she's awesome) sucks ass. "Better recording technology" my ass, if the end result is weak and unemotional.

It's the same deal with the new Iced Earth record. They're re-recording some old material using "better technology", and it just sounds inferior.

I don't want "Dirty Magic" to be ruined in the same manner.

spidey255
05-23-2007, 06:41 PM

This re-recording bullshit, I'm smelling another Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde". The original is an amazing classic, the re-recording with the Lacuna Coil chick singing backup (although she's awesome) sucks ass. "Better recording technology" my ass, if the end result is weak and unemotional.

It's the same deal with the new Iced Earth record. They're re-recording some old material using "better technology", and it just sounds inferior.

Don't forget about Streetlight Manifesto's absolutely wrecking Keasby Nights. God, that was awful.

NotTheOne_NL
05-23-2007, 11:48 PM
After you hear a better version, it's hard to go back and enjoy a rough recording.

I hate the beheaded '99 version but I like the old version very much!!!

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
05-24-2007, 07:07 AM

I agree with you, the Ignition version is special and original. We don't need a re-recording, but I think it would be cool just to see how they have improved. And do you really think they'd do it if they thought they were 'ruining' the song?

ChickenChaser
05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
If you think it will ruin the song for you, just don't listen to it

F@ BANKZ
05-24-2007, 08:26 AM

I actually think they both have different qualaties though I agree the original was better overall.

Venom Symbiote
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Don't forget about Streetlight Manifesto's absolutely wrecking Keasby Nights. God, that was awful.

Fuck Streetlight Manifesto. That isn't a band, it's a queer-factory.

Llamas
05-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Oh my god, shut the fuck up already, venom.

I only know the new version... I'm a fairly new fan.

Agreed. The sound quality is part of the song for me.

HeadAroundU
05-24-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't like Beheaded '99 version too.

NotTheOne_NL
05-24-2007, 10:38 PM
If you think it will ruin the song for you, just don't listen to it

Is that you version of the " disclaimer" ?:)

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
05-24-2007, 11:41 PM
It's too bad, I would love Dirty Magic to be released as a single. Not only to own a version, but because it's such a great song too.

I think re-recording it and releasing it as a single might be a good chance for Dirty Magic to get the attention it actually deserves. I really think people could love this one if they actually knew Offspring before Smash...

F@ BANKZ
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
It's too bad, I would love Dirty Magic to be released as a single. Not only to own a version, but because it's such a great song too.

I think re-recording it and releasing it as a single might be a good chance for Dirty Magic to get the attention it actually deserves. I really think people could love this one if they actually knew Offspring before Smash...

I don't think it is well suited as a single. Personally, I think they should leave it as the fan's favourite it is instead of effectively selling it out.