PDA

View Full Version : Facebook + Washington Post

Llamas
05-27-2007, 05:11 AM
I was cruising along my homepage on facebook, and I read "Will, Sarah and Robin added the The Compass application." I decided to click it and see what it was, and this is the description:

The Compass has you answer a 10-question survey to gauge your political leanings. Once the short survey is completed, a compass will be installed on your profile page that shows where you stand between conservative and liberal, based upon how you answered the questions. The Compass gets more interesting when your friends install it because you will then be able to see where you all land on the political map.

Basically, the Washington Post is using Facebook to post this application on their site so they can gain more of an audience...

The survey consists of:

-The federal government should raise taxes so it can provide more help for people who need it.
-Law-abiding citizens should have more access to guns.
-Except in rare instances, such as when a woman's life is threatened, abortion should be illegal.
-The US must do more with its military power to fight terrorism around the world.
-A same-sex couple should have access to the same marital benefits as those given to heterosexual couples.
-The military should be given a timetable to leave Iraq.
-The government should increase funding on embryonic stem cell research.
-The death penalty should be available for those convicted of heinous crimes.
-Affirmative action is still needed and should be used to promote diversity in the workplace and higher education.
-Illegal immigrants who have shown they are productive members of society should be given amnesty and receive social services.

Then you can see a map of your friends and where they generally lie.
http://www.seeingconditions.com/art/images/rob/compass-map.jpg

I have been awake for over 24 hours and might be a bit out of it, I'll admit... but I think this is quite lame on the part of Washington Post. They're supposed to be a pretty highly acclaimed newspaper, and I find it kind of annoying that they've attempted to tell people where they lie politically based on ten questions. People who actually care about politics and know their shit probably won't take this to find out where they lie, but maybe just for kicks. However, there are so many people who don't know a lot about politics and will take this to find out where they lie... then it's broadcast all over Facebook... I know it's your own personal decision to add it to your profile, but I feel like Washington Post lost creds. I don't know a ton about the newspaper, as I've never read it, but isn't it supposed to be pretty well versed in politics? Shouldn't doing something like this seem beneath them? Again, I might be off my rocker due to being awake for so long, and having been drunk for like 8 hours of it (lol I'm so popular I go out and get drunk with my FRIENDS! Who are real, by the way). Anyway, I probably should be waiting until I sleep for a while before bothering to make any posts, but I'm curious about people's opinions on this. And not necessarily responses to my opinions... just in general.

wheelchairman
05-27-2007, 07:30 AM
You should get more sleep before posting, it helps with paragraphing. :p

I don't really have an opinion, it's kind of insulting that newspapers put forth the misconception that all issues in America should be divided between liberal and conservative. But I guess it's a sign of the impotence of the people who accept it.

And it's kind of a no-win scenario. If you don't know your own political standing you shouldn't be taking a test online. If you do know you shouldn't have to take a test online unless you want to broadcast it.

Broadcasting your political opinions just makes you a douche though. I mean there's a context and relevancy for everything.

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I really despise these tests for what should be obvious reasons. Generally, I really can't stand associating specific issues with political leanings rather than a wholistic approach.

HornyPope
06-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I never heard about it, but I found the link to the story (which incidentally reads as a press-release of a promo) :
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070524/nyth132.html?.v=88

That's pretty bad. Someone tell me if Washington post is democrat or republican paper. Because if it's a democrat paper, then I suspect they are merely trying to recruit legions of democrat supporters on the liberal-haven that is collegial internet sites for the purposes of vote in the next elections.

And if Washington post is a republican paper, they probably scored a defense contract to enlist collegiate youth in the military. Because America (god bless) needs an additional 300 thousands strong contingent for the Iran front. Summer of 2009: Gulf war THRRRRRRRRRRRRRREE!

Now it all makes sense.

wheelchairman
06-03-2007, 03:04 PM
It's more liberal than republican. It has a counterpart called the Washington Times, which was Reagan's favorite paper.

Llamas
06-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Wow, I read that article you posted, Vlad... "now available for Facebook users worldwide who are interested in becoming more engaged in present-day politics." That annoyed me a lot. And that other application it talked about is dumb, too. Who cares who you bet is going to win the next election? But that's less annoying to me.