PDA

View Full Version : random llama thoughts

Llamas
05-28-2007, 09:20 AM
I was just thinking yesterday about good and bad band names. Some band names are straight up really good, and some are not that great but are bettered by the context of the music they play.

I seem to like short band names, and not like abbreviations. The band name that got me thinking about this is Tool. I like it because it's short, and it's kind of elusive. I also really like Eve 6. It has an interesting reasoning behind it, and it's short and cool. Both names are easily memorable, also.

Some band names I dislike are the ones that try to sound overly powerful or something. I don't like Dream Theater, for example. Long names suck, too, like Streetlight Manifesto or Barenaked Ladies. Modern Emo bands seem to take on way too long of names... Panic at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance... ugh.

nieh
05-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Long names suck, too, like Streetlight Manifesto or Barenaked Ladies.

Long names = anything more than one word?

Llamas
05-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Long = over 3 or 4 syllables.

0r4ng3
05-28-2007, 09:25 AM
If the music's good enough, then a long band name shouldn't matter. For example, Big D and the Kids Table is kind of stupid, but it doesn't bother me. Same deal with The Fall of Troy or Bandits of the Acoutsic Revolution.

The only thing I take issue with are band names with profanity. It just shows the band is trying to hard for attention. Are people going to remember the music, or the name?

Llamas
05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Oh, I wasn't trying to say that a band's name really matters in the long run. More than half of my favorite bands have terrible names. I was just thinking yesterday about what makes a good band name. Music what's important, but it's still interesting to me. Sometimes a band name is so bad that it makes me not want to check them out, haha. It's not really logical, but it can give you a negative impression.

What are some bands with profanity in their title?

XYlophonetreeZ
05-28-2007, 09:32 AM
I fucking hate the ridiculously long names of these emo and scene bands. For example:

Panic! At the Disco. Barf.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Barf.
Fear Before the March of Flames. Barf.
Cute is What We Aim For. Barf.
The Number Twelve Looks Like You. Mega-barf.

You get the idea. I've been meaning to rant about this for a while.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Oh god. I forgot about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Cute is What We Aim For. Horrible, horrible. I wasn't even a fan of the "Taking Back Sunday" and "Hawthorne Heights". They're not long, but the former is an annoying title. The ones you mentioned are like "hey let's make our band name a random sentence of shit that makes no sense and has nothing to do with anything".

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
I completely agree with XYlophonetreeZ's sentiments and I've been ranting about that shit for awhile. The exception for me is Scary Kids Scaring Kids: for some reason I enjoy that one.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I should mention that there are some bands with long names whose names I do like. I like the title Lucky Boys Confusion. I don't know why, because it's long and doesn't make sense... but for some reason, it sounds good. And it's memorable. And I liked God Lives Underwater, but partially because their sound and music makes it really suiting.

I generally hate prog-rock band names. Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, Eternity X...

Oh, and Deathcab for Cutie is a horrible name. Angels and Airwaves borderline annoys me a lot. And I mean just the title... it annoyed me before I knew how boring their music is.

I'm also not sure what I think of all the bands who are "The" something. The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives, The Killers... it sometimes gets hard for me to keep these bands straight.

Grabbal
05-28-2007, 09:49 AM

mrconeman
05-28-2007, 09:52 AM
The Chilli Peppers and Rage are also fairly terrible names, its just that they have become so big and accepted that it sounds like a regular phrase to us.

I generally agree with everything in this thread.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Actually Rage Against the Machine came to mind after I made my last post. That and System of a Down are stupid. They tell you before you even listen to them that they're against something and are trying to sound angry. Plus they're too long.

Red Hot Chili Peppers is better than the above two, but it's not a good name. It's alright (at best) for their first albums, which were just rather poor funk rock albums, and they weren't trying to be taken seriously. They were just acting like morons, and their name represented that. However, it's a bad title for the event that you may ever write serious music and want to be respected. The same goes for the Goo Goo Dolls. Their early music was silly punk, so the name suited... but they admit now that they hate their band name and regret their choice.

Endymion
05-28-2007, 10:03 AM
For example:

The Birds are Spies, They Report to the Trees
Congratulations on Your Decision to Become a Pilot
Please Inform the Captian This is a Hijack
This Song is a Mess but So Am I

Llamas
05-28-2007, 10:04 AM
What the hell, those are real band names??

Grabbal
05-28-2007, 10:11 AM

HeadAroundU
05-28-2007, 11:08 AM
All bands I love have great band names. I guess I have a superior taste. I don't care about other band names.

opivy21
05-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm personally a fan of names that are like "blank and the blanks." I don't know why since they've been around forever, but I still like them.

Sir Bald Diddley and his Wig-Outs
Peter and the Test Tube Babies
Slaughter and the Dogs
The King Khan and BBQ Show (doesn't follow the formula, but it's a great name)
Dan Melchior's Broke Review (same as above)
? and the Mysterians
Otis and the Scrotes

Really, though, the band's name doesn't really matter. I listen to a band called the Bassholes, which sounds to me like a middle school joke, but the music is great so who cares.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I think every single person is aware that the music is what's important... that's been mentioned. Also mentioned is that sometimes a name can give a bad impression and make you not want to check them out, or it can make you interested. But the point of this thread has nothing to do with the music of bands.

Anyway, I can usually tolerate the types of names you mentioned. Derek and the Dominos is a good one.

....Jesse and the Rippers, anyone?

wheelchairman
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't think I have a problem with any band names. Although I actually never liked Tool. It sounds extremely generic, like a mix of Fuel and Tonic.

But cliche names are the worst, I generally hate when bands are "The [insert noun here]" It's so annoying.

But if it's creative it's cool. I also just don't like band names that are also first names. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Jimmy Chamberlain Complex (great band though), The Joel Plaskett Emergency. It just lacks creativity.

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 11:43 AM
The Dave Matthews Band is the worst one of all.

Also mentioned is that sometimes a name can give a bad impression and make you not want to check them out, or it can make you interested.

Except in extreme cases, that's just absolutely retarded.

Or, as I should say more diplomatically, I vehemently disagree.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I agree about Dave Matthews Band. Horrible name.

I disagree about your second point. I heard the name Hoobastank, and I automatically assumed they'd be terrible ("that sounds so gay they've got to suck"). Also, bands with horribly misspelled names is a big turn away. I avoided Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit for very long time.

0r4ng3
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
"for a very long time"? As in, you stopped avoiding them eventually? Shame on you.

Also, I agree with the dislike of band names that have a person's name in them.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I eventually was forced to hear them. I don't listen to the radio, but sooner or later, you're in a store, in someone's car, or at someone's house where the radio's playing. Limp Bizkit was the one I avoided the most due to their band name. Eventually I ended up hearing in2gether now, or whatever it was called... I actually ended up buying their cd, lol. So awful.

edit: I just read this. lol.
*NSYNC passes the similarly multiple-offense perpetrator Fenix*TX by making Lance Bass conform. The name was originally a play on the last letters of the boy band's members: Justin, Chris, Joey, Jason, & J.C. When Jason was replaced with Lance, they DECIDED TO KEEP THE NAME SCHEME anyway by giving Lance the fake full name of "Lanston." Then they made him pretend to like girls. Man, this guy's going to need a lot of therapy once he hits 40.

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 12:07 PM
("that sounds so gay they've got to suck")

Even though it was totally accurate in your examples, how is what I quoted not completely retarded?!

H1T_That
05-28-2007, 12:23 PM
To start with, i have not read this whole thread, merely the first few posts. I am however compelled to post after those few as i am extremly drunk. I'd like to say that i agree the the 'the' thing. Too many bands have that nowadays. Sum 41's video 'still waiting' kinda shows this in a good way. I also find XextremeHcoreX names annoying as fuck. Racer X,Sonata Arctica, Therion etc try to hard to sound 'yeah, we're cool, LIKE US!!!!'. I disagree with Dream Theatrer, though. I personally like the name. I disagree with Llamas saying more than "?" syabals is bad. If it pulls it off effectivley, any name can be good. For examle, Big D And The Kids Table, 36 CrazyFists, 30 Seconds To Mars, American Head Charge, Black Dahlia Murder etc etc, all to me seem to be good names for a band.

ZagmenO
05-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Did you know there's a band called "Bubble Puppy?" They're apparently rock, I think.

H1T_That
05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Did you know there's a band called "Bubble Puppy?" They're apparently rock, I think.

Thats not surprising.

DeAtHsTaR
05-28-2007, 12:41 PM
The name was originally a play on the last letters of the boy band's members: Justin, Chris, Joey, Jason, & J.C. .

How so?????

0r4ng3
05-28-2007, 12:43 PM
edit: I just read this. lol.
*NSYNC passes the similarly multiple-offense perpetrator Fenix*TX by making Lance Bass conform. The name was originally a play on the last letters of the boy band's members: Justin, Chris, Joey, Jason, & J.C. When Jason was replaced with Lance, they DECIDED TO KEEP THE NAME SCHEME anyway by giving Lance the fake full name of "Lanston." Then they made him pretend to like girls. Man, this guy's going to need a lot of therapy once he hits 40.
I think what's worse is that I actually knew all of this years ago.

And wow, way to steal my idea of giving someone a fake full name.

mrconeman
05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Sir Sidney Saitheswaite & The Garbage Collectors ftw.

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 12:46 PM
How so?????

N Sync = Justin, Chris, Joey, Jason, & J.C.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 12:51 PM
hit that... lol you are so drunk. post when you sober up :)

Ricky, how is that retarded if it's accurate??

deathstar, how the fuck do you not get that? It was very plainly explained...

Jesse, lol 2 u 4 noing that!

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 12:59 PM
how is that retarded if it's accurate??

Only in:

Even though it was totally accurate in your examples, how is what I quoted not completely retarded?!

those examples.

I mean, you DO listen to the Goo Goo Dolls, am I right? Clearly their music would still be exactly the same if they went by any other name, but they have a band name that's completely stupid yet music that's still pleasing to your ear.

I just think that rejecting a band based on a stupid name would require some really blatant lying to yourself as far as your musical tastes go, so struggling to find interest in a band for the same reason would require the same ridiculousness.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, I wasn't saying that it's always accurate to say that bad name = bad music. I was saying that a bad band name can definitely make you not interested in listening to the music, which is very true and not retarded.

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 01:07 PM
I've always agreed that it's true (I should have said so earlier though; my bad), but I still think it's completely retarded for the reasons I outlined in the Goo Goo Dolls example.

Llamas
05-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I just saw your GGD edit after you mentioned it.

I actually thought that the Goo Goo Dolls would be awful for a long time due to their name. My best friend in high school loved them, and would always try to get me into them, but I was just subconsciously turned off by their name. Then she wanted to go to their concert, and nobody wanted to go, so I went with her. I ended up really enjoying it. I'm not saying that it's smart or accurate all the time... but it's true and happens. I dunno why you're arguing with me because we agree. :P

H1T_That
05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
hit that... lol you are so drunk. post when you sober up :)

Roger that.

Coleby
05-28-2007, 06:41 PM
I think that Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down are fantastic band names. Also, I like Death Cab for Cutie because it sounds cool and rolls off the tongue.

T-6005
05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Long band names don't bother me so much - I have much more of a problem with long song titles. There's just no way that they avoid sounding pretentious, as much as I might like the actual song.

endlesst0m
05-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Some band names I dislike are the ones that try to sound overly powerful or something.

Soundgarden.

coke_a_holic
05-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Long band names don't bother me so much - I have much more of a problem with long song titles. There's just no way that they avoid sounding pretentious, as much as I might like the actual song.

"They Provide The Paint For The Picture-Perfect Masterpiece That You Will Paint On The Inside Of Your Eyelids" by The Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. I also really like "'FRRRREEEEE BIIIIIIIRRRRD!!!!!! FRRRRREEEEEEEEE BIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRDDDDD!!!!!!!'" by Bomb the Music Industry! (though the song itself has awful quality).

Sufjan Stevens probably has the longest song title, though with: "The Black Hawk War, Or, How To Demolish An Entire Civilization And Still Feel Good About Yourself In The Morning, Or, We Apologize For The Inconvenience But You're Going To Have To Leave Now, Or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are off Our Lands.'"

0r4ng3
05-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Dang, that is a long song title. I remember there was actually a thread about this a year or so ago. I thought that "The State of the End of the Millennium Address" was a long song title until I saw some of the other replies in the thread.

WebDudette
05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I fucking despise long metal band names, in fact I hate almost all metal band names:

They Died in Vain
So I Shot Him
The Human Compost
In the Eyes of Despair
Knights of the Abyss
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Through the Eyes of the Death

Most of these are shitty Death Metal bands from AZ.

Some long names I like are:

The Chinese Stars
Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution
The Blood Brothers
Streetlight Manifesto
The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower

I think I generally like shorter names though:
Das Oath
Afi (A Fire Inside)
Heavens
Hellogoodbye
Ladytron
Vyncent Flaw

DeAtHsTaR
05-28-2007, 11:25 PM

You mean songs like They Provide the Paint for the Picture Perfect Masterpiece that you Will Paint on the Insides of your Eyelids, by Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution?

EDIT: Damn you, coke_a_holic.

JohnnyNemesis
05-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think Streetlight Manifesto is such a long name? It's only two words.

Dain, read Mike's post.

Edit: Damn you!

WebDudette
05-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I don't think it's overly long. I included it though. I think near sentence length titles is wear it gets bad.

DeAtHsTaR
05-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Streetlight Manifesto isn't a long name, but it is stupid. Oh well though, most ska band names ARE stupid.

Little_Miss_1565
05-28-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't like the trend of a band's name being a full sentence. The Number Twelve Looks Like You, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, This Song Is A Mess But So Am I, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, She Wants Revenge, Cute Is What We Aim For. More here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jnestorius/List_of_Bands_whose_names_form_complete_sentences) .

For long song names, what about "Hearts Frozen Soil Thawed Once More By The Spring Of Rage, Despair, & Hopelessness" by AFI?

WebDudette
05-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Haha, I was thinking of that song. It has such a long ass title for a 39 second song. I love it though.

mrconeman
05-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.
I always liked that song name. Even if it is obscenely long.

Vera
05-29-2007, 06:57 AM
For long song names, what about "Hearts Frozen Soil Thawed Once More By The Spring Of Rage, Despair, & Hopelessness" by AFI?

That one's serious? o_0

JohnnyNemesis
05-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Yeah, that's a real song.

wheelchairman
05-29-2007, 07:28 AM
We Threw Gasoline on the Fire and Now We Have Stumps for Arms and No Eyebrows by Nofx is the longest song in my itunes.

I think the Jimi Hendrix Experience is the longest band name I have though. Shitty name.

Llamas
05-29-2007, 07:35 AM
I consider "Streetlight Manifesto" to be long because it takes as long to say as "Cute is What We Aim For". Just because it's two words doesn't make it shorter to say...

Long song titles don't bother me too much because song titles aren't important to me. There are some bands who use titles that have nothing to do with the song, so I just say "that one that goes like __________", or I make up a name that fits the lyrics, haha.

How about long album names? Fiona Apple's, "When the pawn hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing Fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo. You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand. Then You'll Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You Know That You're Right" album? I don't get the point..

wheelchairman
05-29-2007, 07:54 AM
That's just annoying and faux-artsy. The longest I got is "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness: Twilight to Starlight" or something like that. Great album that one.

killer_queen
05-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah Yeah Yeah's (or yeahs? I'm not sure) is a very cool and it's so fun to say it. And there are Hooverphonics and Scissor Sisters. And I kinda enjoy the name Limp Bizkit but don't expect me to admit that I enjoy their early music because I want to keep it as a secret.

zacsta
05-30-2007, 04:07 AM
the longest song name i have is "Under Pregnant Skies She Comes Alive Like Miss Leviathan" by cradle of filth, it dosnt even have any words which puzzles me how they came up with the name.

BustedKnuckles
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I know a band called "Irritation of the Poke"...a ska band. I don't like the name because it is an inside joke that only the band knows...kinda fucking pointless if you ask me.

I also don't like "Newfound Glory"...sounds like they know they are going to be good...

Coleby
05-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I think the long song titles people posted here, and pretty much long song titles in general, don't sound good at all and sound unnatural, for some reason.

Nina
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
"Irritation of the Poke"

Holy shit, what were people thinking?
But it's kind of amusing.

Bazza
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
"The Presidents of The United States of America" is far too long and doesn't roll off the tongue nicely.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I actually like song titles that aren't mentioned anywhere in the song and cause you to think for a minute about how they relate to the song itself. Even if they're long. Like Blood Brothers song titles, for instance- they can be long and weird, sure, but the fact that their lyrics and style are so eccentric and surreal somehow makes that sort of song title appropriate. I don't even mind "Junkyard J vs. the Skin Army Girlz/High Fives, LA Hives." I dislike it when bands give their songs long titles just to make them stand out or to be funny when it doesn't have anything to do with the song. I used to like Minus the Bear's song titles for the novelty factor, but now I think it's just weird that a band with no humor whatsoever injected "humor" into virtually every one of their song titles (this improved on Menos El Oso).

H1T_That
05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
"The Presidents of The United States of America" is far too long and doesn't roll off the tongue nicely.

I agree. Its a fucking horrible name for a band.

"Oh, yeah, i went to see The Presidents Of The United States Of America last night. Awesome gig, shame it took them 20 minuts to introduce themselves."

SkunkIt
05-30-2007, 04:37 PM
I like the long names, but not if they're using strange, big words not many people have heard before. Two of my favorite band names would have to be Fugazi and The Majestics.

Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis

-The world's longest band name, belonging to a Mexican grindcore/goregrind band that has recently started to gain recognition among the underground extreme music scene.

JohnnyNemesis
05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
I also don't like "Newfound Glory"...sounds like they know they are going to be good...

Except they were oh so horribly wrong, lawl.