PDA

View Full Version : The timeline.....

rlplaymaker
06-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I know this might belong in the new album thread, but ....

what is normally the timeline for making an album. Music seems to be finished. Now the lyrics are being added in. Typically, how much longer does it take before the album actually hits the shelves?

DexterWannabe
06-01-2007, 09:22 AM
4 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 13 hours and 57 minutes

malibu43
06-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I know this might belong in the new album thread, but ....

what is normally the timeline for making an album. Music seems to be finished. Now the lyrics are being added in. Typically, how much longer does it take before the album actually hits the shelves?

I'm sure you could combine a bunch of times and come up with an average, but there is so much variation from band to band, album to album, genre to genre, label to label that the average you come up with would be meaningless. There is no typical time.

Peedr
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I think, in most cases, when the recording and mixing of album is finished and cover art, book art and other graphics are done, then bands make some info (like tracklist and maybe cover art) public. Few days after the CDs go to be pressed. And then it usually takes 2 or 3 months to hit the shops. But it all depends on band and label and differs from every single album.

Lord_Gabo
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I think that Columbia choises about album release are a lot important. Maybe can be happens that album could be finished in june but released in september...

(excuse me for my english! :D )

DexterWannabe
06-02-2007, 06:23 AM
isn't forever and a day about making albums? :p

nightvision
06-03-2007, 12:28 AM
isn't forever and a day about making albums? :p

Yeaahahhaha

-=xanathos=-
06-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Depends on the way the bands write the music and release dates the record company sets...

Zee
06-03-2007, 04:57 AM
I think that Columbia choises about album release are a lot important. Maybe can be happens that album could be finished in june but released in september...

For sure. Album sales are very weak on summer.

DexterWannabe
06-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Album sales are very weak on summer.

how come?

(10)

BustedKnuckles
06-04-2007, 02:36 AM
how come?

(10)

Something about American kids being too lazy when school is out to walk down to the store and buy music or realize that the world continues to turn even though they are not in school.

Iamstupid
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Something about American kids being too lazy when school is out to walk down to the store and buy music or realize that the world continues to turn even though they are not in school.

Wow...:eek:

So we can easily expect the album for September, it's kinda confirmed with this information about American kids. But if I were The Offspring it would piss me off to wait for people to hear the music I did, just because they're to lazy to move their ass (it's just my opnion...^^).

Jojan
06-04-2007, 09:06 AM
2 months of demoing songs
4 months of recording and writing lyrcis
3 months of making album art, promotion and other such crap.
And during this time they have about 1-2 months vacation.

malibu43
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM

This is retarded. It doesn't even make sense.

BustedKnuckles
06-04-2007, 12:10 PM
This is retarded. It doesn't even make sense.

It may be different in your area, but that's how it works in my area.

Iamstupid
06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
I personnaly thinks that what BustedKnuckles said totally make sense. America is kinda known because of the fat people who is living there (maybe it's just a stereotype...I'm not sayin that every American has to be fat to be recognized as a real American...:rolleyes: )

Or maybe they'll sell the new album in September because in July & August almost everybody is in vacation and people usually don't take their hi-fi system and can't listen to the album if they buy it during the holidays. People just take their mp3 or I-pod in vacation, walkman is over nowadays, so The Offspring have to sell the new Album in September.

malibu43
06-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I personnaly thinks that what BustedKnuckles said totally make sense. America is kinda known because of the fat people who is living there (maybe it's just a stereotype...I'm not sayin that every American has to be fat to be recognized as a real American...:rolleyes: )

First of all, go f*** yourself.

Second of all, that argument does not make any sense. IF, the stereo type were true, that means things like sports equipment sales and bikes and things would not sell well. Kids won't go to the park, or won't go swimming.

But they would still get off their asses and go out an buy video games and music and stop at McDonalds on they way home.

You're an idiot.

BustedKnuckles
06-05-2007, 10:09 AM
First of all, go f*** yourself.

Second of all, that argument does not make any sense. IF, the stereo type were true, that means things like sports equipment sales and bikes and things would not sell well. Kids won't go to the park, or won't go swimming.

But they would still get off their asses and go out an buy video games and music and stop at McDonalds on they way home.

You're an idiot.

Did you forget your midol today? Also, seeing that most American schools are not in session, word does not travel as fast as in some areas about new albums that are out. It's business. You want the maximum amount of units moved right away so that the album is successful. If no one knows the album is out, then it won't move.

malibu43
06-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Did you forget your midol today? Also, seeing that most American schools are not in session, word does not travel as fast as in some areas about new albums that are out. It's business. You want the maximum amount of units moved right away so that the album is successful. If no one knows the album is out, then it won't move.

This is a descent argument. I'll buy this. (Well, except the midol part.)

However, it has nothing to do with American kids being fat and lazy. That is the argument that I was calling retarded.

Iamstupid
06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
1) First of all, go f*** yourself.

2) Second of all, that argument does not make any sense. IF, the stereo type were true, that means things like sports equipment sales and bikes and things would not sell well. Kids won't go to the park, or won't go swimming.

3) You're an idiot.

1) I loved the intro, it gives me your feeling straightaway like that.

2) About the bikes and sport equipment shops, their purpose is to sell on all the year their goods, to make profits on the whole year. An album has to be buy when he's coming out, the label is here for that, and that's why there is a lot of promotion, publicity, with the album's single played on the radio and all. The album must be buy now or it's a flop (for the label). The argument of American kids being fat & lazy is not totally lame in my ears. I don't mean that American kids are all fat and lazy. Let's explain, I think that the labels maybe think that American kids (or just kids globally) are lazy (maybe fat too) and that's why they would sell the album on September, just to prevent. The purpose is to sell, so they try to put together the best condition for the album to be buy, even if kids aren't fat or/and lazy. Business is business. [I dunno if I managed to be clear here, kinda hard to explain what you think in another language... :/...Sorry if I just failed]
I also point out the problem of people going on vacation, without hi-fi system or walkman to play the CD if they would buy it during holidays, while they're more or less away from their home. So if they can't hear the CD during their holidays, they won't buy it, they'll buy when they'll be back in their home. It could explain why the album will be selling in September.

3) The outro was cool too, kinda like the intro, good way to end your post.

And Malibu43, I have a little question, is your nickanme about the alcohol Malibu or about the TV program, with this blond bitch with big boobs, or about somehting else ?

malibu43
06-05-2007, 12:23 PM
1) I loved the intro, it gives me your feeling straightaway like that.

2) About the ....

....way to end your post.

And Malibu43, I have a little question, is your nickanme about the alcohol Malibu or about the TV program, with this blond bitch with big boobs, or about somehting else ?

I still don't think you made a case for why kids being fat or lazy has anything to do with them not buying albums.

Malibu came from my car (1967 Chevy Malibu).

Iamstupid
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh okay about your nickname ^^

It's not about kids being lazy and fat or not, it's about the label thinking that they're lazy and fat. And, if they think that they're too lazy and fat to buy the album on holidays, they prefer to sell it on September like that the kids can buy it on the way, when they come back from home. Just a way to be sure that the album will be buy. Even if the kids are lazy or not, it don't matter, they just want to sell their good right now, it must be within range to everybody, whatever if the buyer is lazy, fat, blind, stupid, blond, deaf or musulman. (I'm not sure, I'm not into business)

malibu43
06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Oh okay about your nickname ^^

It's not about kids being lazy and fat or not, it's about the label thinking that they're lazy and fat. And, if they think that they're too lazy and fat to buy the album on holidays, they prefer to sell it on September like that the kids can buy it on the way, when they come back from home. Just a way to be sure that the album will be buy. Even if the kids are lazy or not, it don't matter, they just want to sell their good right now, it must be within range to everybody, whatever if the buyer is lazy, fat, blind, stupid, blond, deaf or musulman. (I'm not sure, I'm not into business)

I've seen good arguments citing vacations and lack of 'buzz' due to kids not being at school, but I have yet to see anything that suports the 'fat and lazy argument'.

If somone that speaks better English can make the 'fat and lazy' argument more clear for me, please do.

Iamstupid
06-06-2007, 04:52 AM
I've seen good arguments citing vacations and lack of 'buzz' due to kids not being at school, but I have yet to see anything that suports the 'fat and lazy argument'.

If somone that speaks better English can make the 'fat and lazy' argument more clear for me, please do.

I'm sorry, my english is poor :o
Anyways, if you didn't understand what I meant, it don't really matter, what I said is probably just some bullshits.

joey1234
06-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Do you guys know how to read? Maybe you have to go get some glasses..... look at the siteīs front page.... now look at the tour dates..... exactly, they are going to Japan in August, so I think itīs fair to say the album will be out early the same month, or do you think they would begin touring with no album out? That makes no sense to me. :)

malibu43
06-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Do you guys know how to read? Maybe you have to go get some glasses..... look at the site´s front page.... now look at the tour dates..... exactly, they are going to Japan in August, so I think it´s fair to say the album will be out early the same month, or do you think they would begin touring with no album out? That makes no sense to me. :)

They aren't touring. They're just playing a couple festivals. And, bands can start tours before albums come out.

I may need glasses, but at least I think before I speak (or type).

dexandnoodles
06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
hey, i was wondering.. don't they have to release it before their tour? because isn't that what the tour is for - the new songs? they're going in august but they're gonna release it after that? i don't get it... :confused:

jacknife737
06-06-2007, 05:10 PM
hey, i was wondering.. don't they have to release it before their tour? because isn't that what the tour is for - the new songs?

No, a band can tour without any new material. Some bands (ie Against Me!) tour prior to a record release to introduce fans to the new material. And even after a new album is released some bands (ie NoFx) will only play 1-2 new songs, so its not like touring is just for record promotion, bands often just want to play a live show for the hell of it.

dexandnoodles
06-06-2007, 07:05 PM
No, a band can tour without any new material. Some bands (ie Against Me!) tour prior to a record release to introduce fans to the new material. And even after a new album is released some bands (ie NoFx) will only play 1-2 new songs, so its not like touring is just for record promotion, bands often just want to play a live show for the hell of it.
oooh. alright i gotcha. thanks :D

Little_Miss_1565
06-06-2007, 07:45 PM
First of all, record sales slump ALL OVER THE WORLD when schools aren't in session! Are you retarded? Kids go home from college and away from the hip record stores, go on vacation, do whatever. I don't know why it happens, it just happens. For fuck's sake, some of you sound like you think Americans do nothing but sit around on the couch all day when it gets hot. I wish I could be so lucky.

Timetable mentioned earlier in this thread is generally true. It's usually about 3 or 4 months after the final masters are delivered for the record to be set up at retail and marketing and press etc., you know, and get everything underway.

BustedKnuckles
06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
For fuck's sake, some of you sound like you think Americans do nothing but sit around on the couch all day when it gets hot. I wish I could be so lucky.

When it's 120 outside and I'm not working, that's exactly what I do. If I wanted to look like a Christmas ham, I'd go stick my head in an oven.

Iamstupid
06-07-2007, 05:54 AM
When it's 120 outside and I'm not working, that's exactly what I do. If I wanted to look like a Christmas ham, I'd go stick my head in an oven.

I suppose that you're talking on degrees fahrenheit ? :p

Well Little_Miss_1565, I dunno if I sounded like I was saying that Americans kids are all retarded and that they sit on the couch all the day when it gets hotter, but if I does, it didn't what I wanted to mean. All the Americans kids aren't fat and they aren't sitting on the couch all the day.
I can't tell nothing about the fact that they're retarded (I'm kidding... Don't yell out at me ^^)