PDA

View Full Version : Against Belief - 3 new songs

Homer
06-03-2007, 05:10 PM
If a mod can edit the title of the thread, that'd be greatly appreciated... or can I do that myself?

Invincible [07/18/07]
So after spending days and days reading through the vast torrent of comments in this thread, I learned what was needed to begin recording. Anyways, my band started recording about a week ago, and we've got our first song recorded: Invincible (http://www.myspace.com/againstbelief). I put the tracks all together tonight, fix a bit of stuff, and put it up on the Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/againstbelief).

Also, I've made a 'revised' version of Invincible, which can be played from MP3.com here (http://www.mp3.com/albums/20146437/summary.html). All that was revised was that I toned the reverb down, and I centered the guitars some more.

So yeah, we're recording. That's what the album's going to sound like. So, if you feel that something isn't right, something sounds off, the sound quality's bad, or the song sucks. Then tell me. Don't wait until we've recorded a bunch of stuff to tell us that we were doing it all wrong.

Also, we're probably going to re-do the drumming, just so we can get the mics in better positions. So yeah, comments begin now (don't worry about the other stuff down there, that's old, but I'm keeping it anyways).

[Previous post]
Hey, so yeah. As you've probably known for some time, I have a band called Against Belief. We've played some live shows (http://www.youtube.com/againstbelief) and we've recorded some crappy demos, but today I'm here with something different... sort of. My band and I recorded three more demos in one night, and I've put them all up on our Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/againstbelief) for your listening pleasure.

The three new demos are: Body Count, Rise, and Blood Rain.

Now, I think these demos turned out pretty well, except for the fact that I couldn't remember what note I was supposed to sing at for Blood Rain, but it still worked out. I also think the quality is pretty damn good for a two-port, 8 track mixer.

After listening to these, give me some feedback, both good and bad. Like the song? Hate it? Think something doesn't fit or the sound levels are off? Tell me! That's why they're demos.

Homer
06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Come on, no comments? We really need to know exactly what people's thoughts are, because we're recording for our album this summer.

qwertywarrior
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I find the rythm, syncopation and general dna of your melodies too squished together and suffocated - but apart from that you could have something if you worked on it some more.

Indeed, we all have different styles so although your music won't appeal to me anyways, it might to someone else.

Organise and augment your rythm/syncopation to bring out a noticeable melody and that will increase the number of listeners you get and/or positive comments.

coke_a_holic
06-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I can't hear your voice very well, but I really like Body Count. It's not my type of music, really, but Body Count is still stuck in my head from when I listened to it yesterday.

EDIT: wow, a thoughtful comment in Your Bands! Welcome, qwertywarrior (totally dig the screen name, too)! I can agree with what he's saying; it's hard to make out a vocal melody in most of the songs, but I can see how one could be made easily with some higher quality recording, which is what you're going to be doing soon, anyways.

Homer
07-15-2007, 10:37 PM
[old post]
Hey, thanks for the comments, some of the most constructive I've seen on this forum.

So, basically, from what I understand, what's being suggested is that the vocals need to stand out more, whether it be volume-wise, or just a lot more clear. Or is it that the sound levels for everything need to be switched around in certain parts in order to be distinguished more? Because I can see the "squished together" part, since I spent one night on them, and the quality isn't the greatest.

EDIT: Okay, yeah I understand the rhythm part now. So, a part of what's being said is that we need to play "tighter", if I'm not mistaken?
[/old post]

Homer
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Bump... Yeah, people need to listen to this, since this is most probably what our album's going to sound like, and I want to know if we're doing it right.

Also, I've made a 'revised' version of Invincible, which can be played from MP3.com here (http://www.mp3.com/albums/20146437/summary.html). All that was revised was that I toned the reverb down, and I centered the guitars some more.

Dexter_italy
07-19-2007, 12:55 AM
I quote the other comments, I can't ear the melodies well, but the songs don't sound bad, just work on them. Lucky you people are answering to your post...mine was totaly ignored. we put 6 songs on our space and nobody answered like always, if you want you can listen to them and leave a comment in our post! www.myspace.com/rubbihsdump. By the way keep working on the songs, they can be cool
________
Maine Medical Marajuana Dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org)

Homer
07-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, this thread was more directed at Invincible, since we made that one AFTER the comments. But anyways, thanks for the comment, and I'll take it into consideration, and I guess I'll be a good citizen and comment on your music... bah.

Wolfbutter
07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
No offense, but I think Invincible is the only good song on there. The others are okay, but's that's just the problem...They're so O-K that there's nothing really to say other then "meh". I'm just trying to be helpful, please understand.

Invincible is really good, 'cause of the awesome, catchy, addictive vocal melodies. I've just listened to it three times.

Next time, maybe try making your songs more different or catchy, and try to make them winners. They're not bad, though.

Good luck.

Also, just to let you know, I like the Myspace version better than the MP3 version, but maybe that's because I heard it first. What did you make different?

Homer
07-19-2007, 01:54 PM
On the MP3.com version I toned down the reverb on the vocals and centered the guitars more, meaning that instead of having guitar 1 more to left and guitar 2 more to the right, I had them only a little bit to the left and right. Also I think the MP3.com version sounds much better when you download it and play it on a music player, but meh, whatever works. If you REALLY like the Myspace version over the MP3.com version and want to download it, just give me the word and I'll upload it to a site.

Anyways, yeah, we're all entitled to opinions, so no need for the 'no offense' line. It's music, offense is part of it. Also, that 'catchy-ness' should be fixed, since we're re-recording the songs (not counting Invincible, since that's the album version, while the others are early demos) with stronger vocals and such. Anyways, thanks for the comment!

Wolfbutter
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
I hope I'm not imposing or anything, but I REALLY LOVE the Myspace version. You can upload if you want, but not if it's a burden.

Also, I sound like a total n00b here, but how come when I press a song to listen to, the number of plays doesn't go up? It stays at the same number. Does it update over time. This also happens with stuff like Youtube, and I never understood it.

Homer
07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I hope I'm not imposing or anything, but I REALLY LOVE the Myspace version. You can upload if you want, but not if it's a burden.

Nah, it's not a burden. Anyways, I've put it up here (http://www.mp3.com/artist/against-belief/songs/), so all you've got to do is click on the 'view tracks' button at the bottom, then click the 'mp3' button to download it.

Also, I sound like a total n00b here, but how come when I press a song to listen to, the number of plays doesn't go up? It stays at the same number. Does it update over time. This also happens with stuff like Youtube, and I never understood it.

I think it's because it just randomly updates the numbers, or the numbers appear to be the same, because you're not refreshing the page.