PDA

View Full Version : Official Instrument Talk!

Pages : [1] 2

Harnum
06-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I'm gonna try it anyway. Also, if this is the wrong forum, I'm very sorry.

Just post whatever interesting stuff that happened/you're doing/etc. to your instrument! Conversations will progress. Anyway, that's enough.

I just found out last week that my bass strings will cost $50. I got so pissed off. I never got a job for the summer either and now I don't know if I can afford a new bass and amp. This sucks! :(

Ryder1234
06-10-2007, 05:15 PM
im gonna make a tele/ strat combo ( like make my own guitar ) tele body w/ all strat components. how the hell do bass strings cost $50?!?! well i guess im lucky i get $50 allowance once a month

coke_a_holic
06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
im gonna make a tele/ strat combo ( like make my own guitar ) tele body w/ all strat components. how the hell do bass strings cost $50?!?! well i guess im lucky i get $50 allowance once a month

Fucking die.

I recently had to mess with my Jazz Bass' strings, too. None of them were sounding, so I had to detune them all (causing the G to snap for no real reason whatsoever), raise the saddles, and then restring it. This was over the course of about 3 weeks because I've been so busy/unable to find Alan's Head screwdrivers. Also, the input jack on that bass is busted, which is starting to severely bother me.

My guitar, however, is in tip-top shape. I recently turned all of my effects on at once and managed to replicate a dying animal. I plan on using it at some point.

Btw, anyone know of any good MIDI Keyboards that sell for cheap but aren't shit? I'm borrowing my friend's synthesizer, but she never gave me a MIDI-out cable, so I have to plug it in as a normal instrument, which isn't as nice-sounding. Thanks!

Harnum
06-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Looks like this thread might just work out.

Mike, I don't know where to get a MIDI Keyboard, sorry man. I'm lucky if I could find a normal one. My city = shitt-ay! Good luck though. My G-string broke too! (lol G-string!) I popped off the bottom string and it all uncoiled. I got all pissed at it and haven't played it in a week. Suckz! :(

Ryder, I love the Telecaster body shape and headstock. If I were you, I'd customize it somehow or something. I don't see the purpose in Strat components. Go buy some cool shit for it!

Professor Chaos
06-10-2007, 05:49 PM
My bass could use some new strings too...

Other than that, it's pefect. <3

I'm thinking about getting a new guitar... soonish... kind of...
The locking Floyd Rose on mine is kind of a bitch when I'm changing strings.
I've had my eye on a few, but I'm thinking about getting a Gibson Faded Flying V (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Flying-V-Faded-3-Pickup-Electric-Guitar?sku=512846).

And I want to get a distortion pedal, possibly an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339) But, I'm not quite sure yet.

Aaannndd, I kind of need new amps for both bass AND guitar.

I dunno, there's so much stuff I want/need to buy, and my job hardly pays me anything, so it's gonna take a while to get all of it. Like... a loooong while.

Thomas
06-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Um, here's some of the stuff I have

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/Drummerguy123/226331.jpg
A Custom 22" Ping ride. beautiful.

Now for others I don't have in my photobucket...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-Export-EX-5Piece-Drum-Set-with-Free-10-Tom?sku=447874
I recently bought this kit and my God, it's powerful. Especially with the Evans EC2 heads and an Aquarian Superkick II on my bass. *drools*

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Zildjian-K-HiHats?sku=443847
These are my hi-hats and they are better than yours. 'nuff said

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-P2000B-BeltDrive-PowerShifter-Eliminator-Bass-Pedal?sku=448279
I got this as an expansion to my new kit and it is easily the best bass pedal I've ever used before. So many ways to adjust it and it feels so wonderful. Amazing pedal.

Everything else about my set is not all that great, so I won't share it. :)

Thomas
06-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh, and to any other drummers here, I need a light ride cymbal that I can use for jazz but is also adaptable to being a crash in rock. Any suggestions?

Harnum
06-10-2007, 06:01 PM
You're not alone, Professor Chaos. I need a new amp/bass for this summer, AND I need an amp for my Fender Bronco. She's a 1974(76?). A real beauty. She sounds awesome when she's plugged in. That also needs strings too. Poor guitar is in horrible shape, though. The previous owner gave it to us and it was all scratched and dented up. I love it though. =]

EDIT: Thomas, almost the 1337 post! =O

coke_a_holic
06-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Roger: Flying V's are pretty meh. I've played one and it was really uncomfortable to sit and play. Plus, you're pretty much stuck with that trebley ear-rape tone constantly when playing it, which sucks. But go for the Big Muff Pi; I've had mine for about a year and a half, and it gives great tone.

Professor Chaos
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I heard they suck to play sitting down, and I'm not very good at playing while standing, so I was kinda hoping it'd force me to play standing, and get better at it... But knowing me, I'd just be like "pff, fuck this," and just sit down and play my other guitar. :\

I'm not exactly positive on what I want to buy. I was also considering a hollow body, but... I dunno. I'd probably order one, and then hate it.

I definitely want to try it before I buy it, but that's pretty impossible where I live... The selection here is lame, and every thing's either used or just plain sucky. I want a new one dammit!

I was thinking of getting a Fender of some sort too, but... I dunno...

I guess it's a good thing I've got a while to make up my mind.

opivy21
06-10-2007, 10:49 PM
I just ordered a Peavey Classic 30 (an amp) yesterday off eBay. I've heard nothing but good about them and the sound clips I've heard are nice. So, I'm pretty happy about that.

Harnum
06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I was looking at new amps the other day and I am thinking about a Fender 60-watt Rumble. 2 of my friends have it and I think it sounds pretty sick. Any thoughts/advice?

Homer
06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Thomas: Pearl Export, eh? Good kit, but I like my Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D28348%252526CTID%25253D,00.html) better.

Also, I pretty have the same kind of hats, except mine are a grade lower (A Custom, not K).

As for the ride situation, I can't help you there. But just look for something in the same series as your other cymbals, and you'll be fine. Just don't get a heavy ride. I made the mistake of getting one of those.

Homer
06-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey, ho, so, instead of making a new thread, I've decided that I'll just make a post in this thread. Anyways, I recently figured out that I've got around 300 dollars just sitting there (from birthdays, acting, etc.) and I've decided that I will most probably spend that money on an acoustic guitar. Now, what I'm looking for is just something that I can use to write songs, get better at singing, and hey, maybe even put up some crappy acoustic covers on Youtube! So, basically something with a good tone, but that also sturdy and just overall a good sound. Any suggestions?

neocon58
06-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Ryder, your idea is faggoted, I mean, come on, their hardware/electrics is almost identical in some ways you'd have to say. You sound like you don't really know what your on about.

Um, well as far as myself & instruments, my Rainforest RG project is fucked, I dropped it. This pushed my shitty-workmanship into a completely unplayable state, so I'm in the process of selling the parts off. On the rebound I bought a 2005 SZ 520 which I'm super happy with. Got straplocks for it today, so with them on, I'll have my 05 SZ, 05 RG and my home-made strat with invader (coz i was a fag and liked blink lots back in the day).

With my band starting to pick up, I'm on the prowl for a half stack. My combo isn't cutting it anymore :/ ... I'd love a hughes and kettner head but highly doubt I could afford one, I make fuck all money so it'll be a fair effort to afford one. and my combo dosen't have a speaker out so I can't run extension speakers either. Ahhdfklgdfjdg.

Harnum
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
So, basically something with a good tone, but that also sturdy and just overall a good sound. Any suggestions?

My dad has an old black Vester acoustic. I don't know if it's a cheap or an expensive guitar but I love it.

mrconeman
06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey, ho, so, instead of making a new thread, I've decided that I'll just make a post in this thread. Anyways, I recently figured out that I've got around 300 dollars just sitting there (from birthdays, acting, etc.) and I've decided that I will most probably spend that money on an acoustic guitar. Now, what I'm looking for is just something that I can use to write songs, get better at singing, and hey, maybe even put up some crappy acoustic covers on Youtube! So, basically something with a good tone, but that also sturdy and just overall a good sound. Any suggestions?

I'm looking to get an acoustic for the same reasons, with roughly the same budget, after alot (months) of searching the net, guitar shops etc, I've come to the conclusion that this is best for me:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEAHB
Great warm tone, they look beautiful, very well made, perfect for what you want a guitar for, seemingly. Try one out if you can.

btw I didn't search around for a better price, I'm pretty sure they can go for cheaper than $299

Homer
06-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Alright, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Harnum
06-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Holy shit coneman, that is a beautiful guitar! I've been really into playing the acoustic guitar lately. My friend wrote a song and we should record it soon. When I do, I shall post. It sounds really great.

Oh, and I am still wondering about the type of bass I should get. Any suggestions at all? All appreciated please. My band playing just the basic bland rock stuff. Nothing original, lawlz. Nirvana, Green Day, The Offspring (lolz). Basically another run of the mill thing. So, suggestions for a punk/rock type of sound in a bass and amp I guess?

Thomas
06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Thomas: Pearl Export, eh? Good kit, but I like my Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D28348%252526CTID%25253D,00.html) better.

Also, I pretty have the same kind of hats, except mine are a grade lower (A Custom, not K).

As for the ride situation, I can't help you there. But just look for something in the same series as your other cymbals, and you'll be fine. Just don't get a heavy ride. I made the mistake of getting one of those.

Ooh. Nice. I'm just not a Yamaha guy, though. For some reason, their feel and tone don't just appeal to me. And that was a bit more expensive than how much I actually paid for mine (a bit lower than the price listed).

And that 22' Ping ride is a very heavy ride (perfect for just about any style of rock) but I recently really got into jazz drumming and that ping ride is WAY too harsh for jazz. So that's my situation. I'm thinking of just saving a bunch of money to get that Armand Sweet Ride.

Homer
06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, Yamaha has a pretty distinct sound. The toms are really what sets it apart from most kits. They are very distinct and full of sound. Also, the bass drum is amazing, one of the best I've heard. It's also really fun to fool around with, and I guess I should mention this, but when I was buying a new kit, it was either between the Yamaha, or the Pearl Export.

About the ride situation, I've never heard of the Armand Sweet Ride, since I haven't really been "in the know" of drumming ever since I took up guitar about a year ago, but as long as it's a Zildjian, then it's all good. Though, I still kick ass at drumming.

Harnum
06-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Pfft, thanks you guys. For listening to me, and having conversations with me, in my thread! :(

lawlz, Homer. Those are some sweet looking drums. My friend has a nice set of Taye Rock Pro drums. 2 bass drums and the like. It's very fun to play.

Homer
06-14-2007, 04:22 PM
My friend also has Taye. I haven't played it, but he says he likes mine more, so... yay.

NDM1
06-14-2007, 07:17 PM
With my band starting to pick up, I'm on the prowl for a half stack. My combo isn't cutting it anymore :/ ... I'd love a hughes and kettner head but highly doubt I could afford one, I make fuck all money so it'll be a fair effort to afford one. and my combo dosen't have a speaker out so I can't run extension speakers either. Ahhdfklgdfjdg.

What kind of venues do you guys play at? Usually if you have a tube combo with about 40-50 watts thats plenty and under normal circumstances you would mic guitar amps.

Thomas
06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Yamaha has a pretty distinct sound. The toms are really what sets it apart from most kits. They are very distinct and full of sound. Also, the bass drum is amazing, one of the best I've heard. It's also really fun to fool around with, and I guess I should mention this, but when I was buying a new kit, it was either between the Yamaha, or the Pearl Export.

About the ride situation, I've never heard of the Armand Sweet Ride, since I haven't really been "in the know" of drumming ever since I took up guitar about a year ago, but as long as it's a Zildjian, then it's all good. Though, I still kick ass at drumming.

Yeah, and my school's drum kit is an older version of the Pearl Exports, except with jazz head, so I'm very used to the feel of Pearls. I like how they give nice thumps without being too harsh. I'm a huge John Bonham fan, so naturally I don't like very staccato sounds, but rather BIG drum sounds.

There was also a Sabian ride that caught my eye. It was called the "Sabor ride." If you couldn't tell, it was made for latin, but it is supposed to be very playable with jazz and some sorts of rock. Basically, though, I want a crashable ride.

Pfft, thanks you guys. For listening to me, and having conversations with me, in my thread! :(

lawlz, Homer. Those are some sweet looking drums. My friend has a nice set of Taye Rock Pro drums. 2 bass drums and the like. It's very fun to play.

The way I see it, drum kits with two basses are like double necked guitars. They were only made to make up for something that's lacking, if you get my drift. Double bass pedals are easier to play and you only have to tune one drum, and you don't really even need those unless you are playing death metal o something that requires bass rolls. Other than rolls, there is nothing I can do on double bass that I can't do on single bass. I owe much of that to the AMAZING heel-toe technique and my amazing bass pedal.

I like to mess around with double bass every once in a while, but it's uneccesary.

And how are Tayes? I've seen them, but never heard them. They always seemed to be heavy metal kits to me.

Apathy
06-14-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm looking for a new bass amp.

It's really the first one I would have bought, because my old one was a shitty one that I bought from a friend. It was horrible condition, I only bought it because I was just learning and it was fifty bucks. It finally blew out, and now I'm in the market for a new one.

I was hoping for somewhere in the $400-$500 price range, but other than that I'm pretty much stuck. I've been playing bass for about four years now, but I've never really had to buy an amp before.

Suggestions?

Homer
06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I owe much of that to the AMAZING heel-toe technique and my amazing bass pedal.

Oh yeah, I love that technique, it took me a while, but I've got it mastered. My friends always use double pedal, but I'm more of a single foot person.

Thomas
06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah, I love that technique, it took me a while, but I've got it mastered. My friends always use double pedal, but I'm more of a single foot person.

I used to have a double bass pedal. Then I realized that it is completely unnecessary. And I found the ride I want to get. It's a Sabian AAX 20" Stage ride. And boy, that thing sings.

Harnum
06-17-2007, 09:23 AM
And how are Tayes? I've seen them, but never heard them. They always seemed to be heavy metal kits to me.

I really like their sound. Of course, I'm not a drummer by trade, but I can play them half decent. I was just messing around when I was playing but it was sooo fun.

Llamas
06-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Btw, anyone know of any good MIDI Keyboards that sell for cheap but aren't shit? I'm borrowing my friend's synthesizer, but she never gave me a MIDI-out cable, so I have to plug it in as a normal instrument, which isn't as nice-sounding. Thanks!

I have a really old MIDI keyboard at home in the US. It was one of the first ones ever made. It looks like this:
http://www.ghastlycomic.com/mirage/miragedsk.jpg

I actually had been wanting to sell it. It's so old you have to use disks to load the sounds into the keyboard! I have probably 10-15 disks, each with three sounds. It's almost like a collectors item by now, which is kinda cool and makes me almost not want to sell it, haha. I know shipping might be obscene, but if that's something you think you'd be interested in, let me know.

I just can't wait to get back to the US and have all my instruments at my disposal, primarily my alto sax and my guitar.

All you are wusses, complaining about $50 strings and stuff. :P Last time I got my sax repadded, I got a hugely good deal of like $150. A pro sax player gets new pads every year, but I'm clearly not. But normal music stores charge anywhere as high as $500, as I have a professional horn. The only reason I got it for so cheap is cause I had the hook ups and knew people who knew people.

Anyway, I've been wanting an acoustic guitar for over a year. I'd been looking at a Yamaha with a wood body that ran around $250. But I saw that at Guitar Center, who I'd never actually support. I might get an acoustic once I'm back in Wisconsin and have a job... and I'll get it at Cascio, because hello, way better store.

German Andres
06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Mmmm I think that $250 for an acoustic guitar is expensive, even for a Yamaha. Don`t really know the relation between prices (by this I not mean the relation between a peso argentino and a dollar, I mean the relative price which seems to be similar in many places) but maybe you could get a good one for $100-150.

T-6005
06-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Yamaha guitars are worth it. I've believed this since I've started playing guitar with the crappiest model they had, and it actually played and sounded (and took more beatings) than some of the more expensive models other people went for.

I'm not so certain on the acoustic front - I have an Aria Dreadnought 28 and it's still holding on to being playable after many parties, including one where a friend of mine fell on it and put a massive crack in the side. But just because I like it doesn't mean it's for everyone. I haven't played many acoustic guitars precisely because I've had so few problems with mine.

In other news, I think I'm going to go buy a new guitar this weekend, when I get my paycheque. It's going to be wild!

neocon58
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
What kind of venues do you guys play at? Usually if you have a tube combo with about 40-50 watts thats plenty and under normal circumstances you would mic guitar amps.

Our practice space is a rehearsal studio, Bass player is either playing a hired half stack or his 70s 50watt tube bassman, so he's always loud, drummer is loud as fuck obviously and singer has a hired massive pa, and i've only got a 60watt combo. So yeah I only need something to keep up in jam situations, pretty much in any gig situation you would be miced up obviously.

So basically 100 watts Solid State or 50 Watt Tube is my aim, now I just need to cash. I'd cream for a Rockerverb 50.

NDM1
06-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah man im in the same boat as you. I have a 120 watt solid state that sounds like poo at loud volumes so im looking for a 50 watt tube amp. I play in 2 bands one metal and one more rock based so im trying to get the best of both worlds here. Right now im considering a Genz Benz El Diablo 60 but i also need the cash first...:(

Harnum
06-19-2007, 06:13 AM
I'm still unsure on what to buy for a bass and/or amp. I play punx rawkzorz! \m/ and I need something that would sound nice along with this. Suggestions are great, my friends.

coke_a_holic
06-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Brianna - Thanks for your offer, I am interested in that keyboard (I'd use it with Garageband, so programming the sounds isn't an issue), the only problem is that I'm 16 years old and my parents have no idea that I'm in contact with people that I met on the internet. They're going into the 21st century kicking and screaming; they disapprove of... well, the internets. There's no way for me to get it from you without revealing that I'm talking to "sexual predators."

I'm just going to continue saving up and will hopefully have enough money for one by the end of the month, when I have to give the synthesizer back to the girl who lent it to me.

Wolfbutter
06-19-2007, 10:31 AM
If you have an acoustic guitar, does that mean you're pretty much know how to play electric, too?

mrconeman
06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
If you have an acoustic guitar, does that mean you're pretty much know how to play electric, too?

In terms of the musical theory behind both instruments, yes. Meaning the chord shapes are the same on both, scales are played the same, everything plays the same on both.

But the technique is quite a different experiance, in general the answer to your question is yes, if you can play an acoustic you will pick up an electric quite easily, but there are some people who would class them as two vastly different instruments.

German Andres
06-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey guys tomorrow I`m finally getting an electric guitar. It`s a Fender Squier Stratocaster model. It costs $700 but it worths it.
Oh I have a question: and amp. of 20W is a good choice or should I get a bigger one? I`ll play alone a time.
Any suggestion will be very appreciated!

Homer
06-21-2007, 05:24 PM
20 watts is fine if you're just going to use it at home to fool around or to practice. But, if you're thinking about joining a band (with drums, of course) you'll need something bigger.

German Andres
06-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Homer for the suggestion.

adombomb222
06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Well tomorrow I'm going to go look at some hi-hats. I've played the crap cymbals that come with the set, Metors and Ziljian K/Z's. I liked the K/Z's, but theyíre too heavy for what I wan to be playing. So I want something a bit more crisp and bright. Got anything in mind?

Thomas
06-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Well tomorrow I'm going to go look at some hi-hats. I've played the crap cymbals that come with the set, Metors and Ziljian K/Z's. I liked the K/Z's, but theyíre too heavy for what I wan to be playing. So I want something a bit more crisp and bright. Got anything in mind?

14" K's. Best hi-hats I've ever heard in my life. They aren't too heavy so the sound isn't really clangy, but they are also not too light so they aren't way too obnoxious. They have a perfect chick sound and they work for any style of music, from jazz to heavy metal (I've played them all on them). Seriously the best fucking cymbals I've ever heard in my life. Get them. They are WELL worth the price. If you are looking for a really bright sound, though, the 13" K's are really good, too. Not as good as the 14"s, but definitely good.

And I recently got my hands on some money so today I'm gonna go buy me a 20" A Custom crash cymbal. I'm VERY excited. :)

adombomb222
06-22-2007, 11:02 AM
I wanted to get a k custom dark 22in ride, however after looking around I found a Sabian HH Heavy Ride 20in, it is so much better, plus the custom K was very thin for a ride cymbal... I'd figure I'd destroy that cymbal so I go the heavy ride, its very versatile. The bell is fairly small, however, the power bell I was looking at was pure metal and I didnít want a vaguely un-versatile cymbal, the HH is very nice if you just add a cymbal stacker with a 6in Zil-Bell it makes a very nice combination. I got the HH for I think like $200 from a local drum store called Drum City, and I got the bell and stacker off musicanfriend.com for under $100.

Thomas
06-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I just got that A Custom 20" crash cymbal. Oh my God. It's freaking beautiful. I can't wait until I can set it up on my set. :)

Also, I got a cowbell (LP Li'l Ridge Rider) and mount for my bass drum and basically, I'm gonna have a lot of fun on my kit when I go home. ;)

Homer
06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I myself have an A Custom Crash cymbal, and I think it's 20", but I'm too lazy to check. Good cymbal.

Andy
06-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Drummers read this, and feel my pain.

I lent my mate's drummer my cymbals a few months back (14" Paiste sig dark crisp hats, 18" Paiste sig full crash, 18" Paiste 2002 medium, 22" Paiste dry heavy ride). Anyway, I got them back the other week, only to find that there was an almightly chunk fucked out of the edge of the full crash.

I am sad. That was one beautiful crash.

Needless to say, I'm never letting anyone use my Paiste's ever again.

adombomb222
06-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I love my 16in K Custom Special Dark crash cymbal, so deep and crisp... omg its great.

adombomb222
06-22-2007, 06:25 PM
an almightly chunk fucked out of the edge of the full crash.

Ouch, why isn't he paying for it... or is he?

Thomas
06-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Drummers read this, and feel my pain.

I lent my mate's drummer my cymbals a few months back (14" Paiste sig dark crisp hats, 18" Paiste sig full crash, 18" Paiste 2002 medium, 22" Paiste dry heavy ride). Anyway, I got them back the other week, only to find that there was an almightly chunk fucked out of the edge of the full crash.

I am sad. That was one beautiful crash.

I never really saw the charm of Paistes before. They always seemed to metallic and clangy for my. THe only line of Paistes I actually like are the 2002's, but I prefer A Customs anyway. But yeah, that sucks. Charge him for it. That's probably what I would do.

haha. This reminds me of the one time during one of my band's shows. It was at the end of the bridge of one of our songs and there is a HUGE crash to go into the last chorus. Our frontman/singer decided to make it even bigger by slamming the mic stand into the big crash cymbal (technically a ride, but it worked), thus knocking over that cymbal and my A Custom 22" Ping ride. Luckily, my ride wasn't hurt but the other "crash" now has a humongo dent in it. Luckily again, it was his cymbal because he also plays drums, so now I just make fun of him for it. Close call, though.

Thomas
06-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I love my 16in K Custom Special Dark crash cymbal, so deep and crisp... omg its great.

Yeah, you can't go wrong with K's. Ever. Easily the best cymbals in the world.

btw, which do you prefer, K's or K Customs? I actually prefer the K's. They seem to have a softer, more rich tone than the customs. Anyone else think the same or am I just crazy?

adombomb222
06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I love the Dark K's they are amazing... a bit thin but produce an amazing sound none the less. Custom K's are nice too, darks just sound better to me.

mrconeman
06-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Friends + instruments = nooooooooooo.
Especially if they aren't musicians themselves, I fucking hate people that I bring into my house just deciding it would be fun to pickup and fuck around with one of my guitars, they just don't understand that its not a fucking toy.

A friend of mine also broke the input jack on my amp once, he was standing on my bed (having a smoke and blowing it out the window), I was playing guitar through the amp, he went to stand off my bed and stood directly on the wire and it had gotten tight with my distance from the amp and it just pulled the input jack right out of the amp. I wasn't happy.
Well, I still made him take care of the repair bill, fuck that shit.

Andy
06-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Ouch, why isn't he paying for it... or is he?

That involves me getting in touch with him; A task that unfortunately is nigh-on impossible with this guy, the state of his phone means I have to wait for him to get in touch with me. He's like fucking Morpheus.

T-6005
06-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I got a new guitar today. So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/images/reviewpix/prs-se-custom.JPG

I bought a PRS SE with a red-yellow sunburst, the same model as pictured. 2 humbuckers, a step away from my last guitar, which was a humbucker and a single coil - but so far I haven't noticed the difference, this guitar is that perfectly suited to everything I've tried so far. The tuning and volume knobs feel smooth and adjust perfectly to whatever slight differentiations in the guitar's sound I might want. The neck's great - not exactly the thin Yamaha/Strat necks I've played for the last three years, but a slightly rounder neck which is actually quite comfortable (but still not too round, unlike the ones on most Gibsons, which I find awkward).

I haven't played it standing up yet, but it's made of solid mahogany, so I can't imagine it being too heavy - probably heavy enough to feel but still in the comfort zone.

At this point I feel the need to admit that I did get a little suckered in by the paint and the finish. I've never seen a more beautiful finish than on the PRSs I've looked at in stores - it's like they've got 12 small vietnamese kids willingly giving up their souls and working hard for 4 years to finish it so perfectly. It's absolutely beautiful.

So far, the only possible downside I can see is the lack of a single coil pickup, although like I said that hasn't come into play yet. And for once I decided to go without the option of a tremolo on my guitar - for guitars that don't have systems to completely lock in your tuning, it seems like a waste of time that you'll have to spend retuning the thing.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase, which is nothing less than I expected - I've always viewed PRSs guitars as an example of quality and durability in rock guitars, and I don't imagine I'll be disappointed.

Although to keep up with the ultra-chic feel I get from this guitar, I've decided that soon I'm going to invest in a bottle of lemon oil to keep my fretboard taken care of properly.

adombomb222
06-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow that looks nice.

The band I use to play with, the guitaristís father collected old electric guitars, and he has a very nice collection... very expensive.

mrconeman
06-22-2007, 09:25 PM
mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.
You've got good taste friend, good taste. I always like to see people buying PRS, they're just outside of the trend of a Les Paul or Strat/super strat, but equally as awesome. I'm kind of just rambling because I'm really tired, but excellent choice indeed, I've always found them to have a great warm and professional tone, versatile guitar too.

And yes, their finishes are fantastic. One of the owners of the music shop here has a blue flamed one, its probably the nicest guitar I've ever layed eyes on in person.

To re-assure you of the single coil pickup issue, I can't really see it being much of a problem, I don't really know the style you play all the time, but I assume its like, rock/soft rock and your own songs like that kind of ambiant song you uploaded, and I'd personally reccomend the richer tone of a humbucker for that.

If it does become a problem though, you can get a humbucker pickup coil-tapped. That is to say that you can switch the wiring in your guitar so that one of (or both) of the humbuckers have a second option to switch to only using one of their magnets, essentially turning it into a single coil pickup.
It doesn't sound as much like a single coil than it sounds like half a humbucker, but it does work if you really feel the need to do it.

Although to keep up with the ultra-chic feel I get from this guitar, I've decided that soon I'm going to invest in a bottle of lemon oil to keep my fretboard taken care of properly.
This is something every guitarist should do. Seriously, changing strings and cleaning the fretboard lightly with lemon oil = best feeling you will ever get playing your guitar.

T-6005
06-22-2007, 09:44 PM
You've got good taste friend, good taste.

To re-assure you of the single coil pickup issue, I can't really see it being much of a problem, I don't really know the style you play all the time, but I assume its like, rock/soft rock and your own songs like that kind of ambiant song you uploaded, and I'd personally reccomend the richer tone of a humbucker for that.

This is something every guitarist should do. Seriously, changing strings and cleaning the fretboard lightly with lemon oil = best feeling you will ever get playing your guitar.
Clearly I do have awesome taste. I thought that was over and dealt with, seriously. How could I not?

About the type of music - if I wanted kind of that non-trebled, almost washed-out jazz tone, it actually wouldn't do too badly if I could keep the lower notes from running together into a muddy sound. They're not really the very harsh humbuckers that you can get - I've never understood the appeal of getting a guitar that only panders to one kind of sound.

At for coil-tapping, I don't think it's going to come down to that at any point. It seems more trouble than its worth, and will probably only serve to give the guitar that half-pickup buzzing sound again. It's always been such an aggravating problem.

One complaint, though - I always liked 5-way switches. I don't know why but it's always felt like I've gotten more possibilities right on the fly with a 5-way switch. This PRS is obviously using a 3-way switch, but it's countered by the fact that none of the settings have any of that aggravating background hiss you get with a lot of pickups used with 5-way switches.

PS - I have fine tastes.

Homer
06-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah, you can't go wrong with K's. Ever. Easily the best cymbals in the world.

btw, which do you prefer, K's or K Customs? I actually prefer the K's. They seem to have a softer, more rich tone than the customs. Anyone else think the same or am I just crazy?

I donno, my heavy ride is a K, and I'm not liking it.

Anyways, about the K, K Custom thing: my friend has a K Custom, and like I said, I have a K ride. Yeah, I definitely know what you mean by the softer part, but in terms of which one is better, I don't know, I'm kind of leaning towards K Custom, though I haven't heard enough from both to make a complete judgment.

Man, I've got to go to Long & McQuade one of these days...

Thomas
06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Actually, I never actually found any K or K custom ride I was all too pleased with. I think A Custom rides are easily the way to go. The 22" Ping ride, the Armand Ride, the sweet ride, the stage ride, the projection ride, all amazing cymbals.

btw, I forgot to mention that K Customs are incredible concert band cymbals. Especially with the pairs of crashes. Beautiful sounds for the concert settings.

Harnum
06-23-2007, 02:04 PM
My friend just brought his drums out to where we live so now our band can jam. It is going pretty good. Maybe if we get a video, I'll post a link.

Also, is it a good idea for this to be stickied? =]

coke_a_holic
06-23-2007, 02:28 PM
It's always at the top, anyway, dude, no need for stickies.

Speaking of drums: anyone know of a good free drum machine program that won't make me hate myself? I've tried iDrum and Hydrogen, and both were angering to the point where I've reduced myself to Apple loops. plz help?

T-6005
06-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Beatcraft Acoustica isn't free, but it's what I use. I think it's awesome. You could always crack it, I suppose - probably not that hard.

I remember when Rhythm Rascal was free and I used that. Then the world changed on me...

coke_a_holic
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Beatcraft Acoustica isn't free, but it's what I use. I think it's awesome. You could always crack it, I suppose - probably not that hard.

I've looked into that in the past; I downloaded the trial and everything, only to learn it was a Windows program and there was no Mac port. =(

I've settled on Doggiebox, which is working pretty well for me right now; it even uses Garageband's drum sounds, which means it doesn't sound awful.

adombomb222
06-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Spent $310 today. I got a Tama Hi-Hat stand, and a set of Zildjian A Custom 13in hats.

Thomas
06-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Spent $310 today. I got a Tama Hi-Hat stand, and a set of Zildjian A Custom 13in hats.

ooh. not bad. Personaly, I've never been a fan of A Custom hi-hats (Except for the New Beats), but I'm EXTREMELY picky about my hi-hats. How are the 13"s?

Harnum
06-23-2007, 07:54 PM
It's always at the top, anyway, dude, no need for stickies.
Heh, riiight. I'm an idiot

Speaking of drums: anyone know of a good free drum machine program that won't make me hate myself? I've tried iDrum and Hydrogen, and both were angering to the point where I've reduced myself to Apple loops. plz help?
I've also been looking for one and I can never find a sensible free one. =[

adombomb222
06-23-2007, 10:32 PM
How are the 13"s?

So far not bad, they’re bright enough for me and they have a nice crisp sound when held close together but not shut. They have a nice sound when dropped (I use a drop clutch) and they can take quite a beating while retaining a good crisp sound while dropped... however their a little clingy when opened and hit multiple times.

They had 14's but their were cracked... oh yea the hats I got were used, very little but still used a few times. They look remarkably new and the guy said the owner only used them for a few weeks and returned them. So I got a pretty good deal on them. They also had 15's but it was a little too much sound for me.

Thomas
06-23-2007, 10:42 PM
How do they sound when closed tightly? usually cymbals lower than K's sound really bad when closed really tightly.

adombomb222
06-23-2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't really close them tight too much, but when I did it was descent... wasn't really defined with my crash buzzing off.

Thomas
06-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I don't think I would ever buy hi-hats that aren't 14 inches.

adombomb222
06-23-2007, 10:53 PM
14in is the way to go... but I'll give these guys a try.

Thomas
06-23-2007, 10:57 PM
What sort of music do you play?

adombomb222
06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Punk-rock, rock.

Thomas
06-23-2007, 11:01 PM
The small hi-hats would probably be nice for punk. I'd bet that they'd be amazing for ska, though.

adombomb222
06-23-2007, 11:03 PM
They're bright, they wrok pretty well for what I'm playing right now... actually I love my set.

Thomas
06-23-2007, 11:09 PM
What kind of set do you have?

adombomb222
06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I've got a PDP set; 14in snare, 12in and 13in rack toms, 16in floor tom and a 24in base drum. All my heads are Remo Sound Control heads and I have the Eveans E-rings. A 16in K Custom Dark Crash, Sabian HH 20in Heavy Ride, 6in Zil-bel and now 13in A Custom Hi-Hats, and a PDP double base kicker.

Homer
06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
13" A Custom hats are what I have, and they've never let me down. Good choice.

Thomas
06-24-2007, 04:21 PM
I've got a PDP set; 14in snare, 12in and 13in rack toms, 16in floor tom and a 24in base drum. All my heads are Remo Sound Control heads and I have the Eveans E-rings. A 16in K Custom Dark Crash, Sabian HH 20in Heavy Ride, 6in Zil-bel and now 13in A Custom Hi-Hats, and a PDP double base kicker.

I used to have that double bass pedal. It's good for beginners, but I wouldn't want to play with it anymore. Not a very good pedal. Then again, I don't even use double bass anymore so whatever.

Harnum
06-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I finally got a job for this summer! Wooohoo! New bass & amp! =] I'm overjoyed right now!

Steve-O
06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Need a few suggestion after this summer I have $7000 (canadian) to blow on a guitar and amp throw some good combinations together and get back to me please.

adombomb222
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
I used to have that double bass pedal. It's good for beginners, but I wouldn't want to play with it anymore. Not a very good pedal. Then again, I don't even use double bass anymore so whatever.

It wasn't too cheap or over expensive, plus it works fro right now. I'll get an Iron Cobra when i get around to it.

Harnum
06-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Need a few suggestion after this summer I have $7000 (canadian) to blow on a guitar and amp throw some good combinations together and get back to me please.
I loveloveLOVE mrconeman's guitar. Epiphone Black Beauty. Makes me smile! xD Ask him how it sounds. As for an amp, hmmm.... I'm not too sure. Marshall Amps are an obvious front runner for nice sound. A 30-100 watt amp should be enough.

mrconeman
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
I just googled and 7000 Canadian dollars is like 3000 pounds. So you will probably want to aim a bit (alot) higher than my Black Beauty. You could easily get yourself a Gibson Les Paul and quite a good amp setup.

My advice is to spend more on the amp than the guitar, but if you are spending all of your money, divide it roughly half way for guitar, and amp. Still, spend more on the amp, any player will tell you that the amp is that bit more important for tone than the guitar.

Still, before I reccomend any specific models, what music do you listen to, what do you play, what do you hope to play in the future etc etc...

However if all you listen to is pop punk, all you play is pop punk, and all you want to play is pop punk, I'm not even going to bother, you can get a decent pop punk or punk tone out of absolutely anything.

Andy
06-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Got myself an electric kit. Granted it's a very old model (Roland TD-7) but it's fucking badass. Feels SO liberating finally being able to practice at home. Scratch that, it feels SO liberating being able to practice at all!

Although 6 months off the skins = weak girly skin; So my hands are shredded to hell. Annoyingly, my right hand is in a worse state than it was when I first started (count: 3 blisters on each finger.... Including thumb).

Harnum
06-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I just googled and 7000 Canadian dollars is like 3000 pounds. So you will probably want to aim a bit (alot) higher than my Black Beauty. You could easily get yourself a Gibson Les Paul and quite a good amp setup.

I suggested this because I figured all of his money wouldn't be devoted to a guitar and amp.

But then again, it might.

Got myself an electric kit. Granted it's a very old model (Roland TD-7) but it's fucking badass. Feels SO liberating finally being able to practice at home. Scratch that, it feels SO liberating being able to practice at all!

Although 6 months off the skins = weak girly skin; So my hands are shredded to hell. Annoyingly, my right hand is in a worse state than it was when I first started (count: 3 blisters on each finger.... Including thumb).

I always wanted to try an electric kit. I can also remember the first time I ever tried to play the drums. It was interesting. I had A LOT of blisters on my hands. At one point, one on my thumb popped on the drumstick. Ew?

Andy
06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
When I first started playing I got so overenthusiastic one day that every single blister opened on my hand, and combined with a nasty gash on my knuckle I got after smacking it on the rim made one hell of a mess on my snare. Pretty gruesome, but looked pretty cool.

Harnum
06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Haha, drumming violence and gore. Always fun. I'm after cutting my fingers open on bass and guitar strings too. The plucking on the bass resulted in a nasty blood blister and it exploded everywhere. Fun times!

adombomb222
06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
I haven't gotten blisters yet... only coulisses. But I wear drumming gloves sometimes.

Harnum
06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I hate gloves. I think it looks so gay. "Ooh! Look at me wearing my gloves so I don't get blisters and the like! Ooh! Ouch!" Meh, not for me...

Andy
06-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Had a jan on am acoustic kit tonight. Battered the fuck out of my right hand. It's a sweet pain though. I love the feel of my hands being battered by sticks, there's something wholly tribal about it.

adombomb222
06-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Nah, I like the gloves because sticks tend not to slip as often, plus before I bought the gloves one of the sticks that left my hand projected its way as to hit the only light in the room. So I had to clean up the glass and take out a broken light bulb, which is a bitch with light from a flashlight. They only work well with Dip sticks, fully wooden stick slip out more. Their nice gloves I got them because I didnít want to pay for shipping, so I ordered them up as well.

I've hit my self with my sticks a lot... mostly my hands and arms. But Iíve hit myself in the face, the back of the head and my legs.

Andy
06-28-2007, 04:21 PM
I got a pair of drum gloves a year or so back. Didn't like them. They seemed artificial. I much prefer the feel of the wood on skin, makes me feel more at home with the instrument.

Pretentious much?

adombomb222
06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
What kinda of sticks do you use?

Homer
06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
I hate getting blisters. I really, really hate it. So, to avoid it, instead of wearing gloves I just tape my fingers. Works a lot better.

Also, Vic Firth is the only brand of sticks I use.

adombomb222
06-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Like ducktape tape?

I use Pro-Mark and Zeljian and many others.

5B baby! I find that is size is just the right length and isn't too heavy very basic but it's the best. I also like the Zeljein Rock stick (not Pure Rock) they're my warm up sticks, not too much longer then the 5Bs but a lot heavier and they have a big head that sound really nice on cymbals and closed Hi-Hats - they also bring out a much louder crack and pop on a piccolo snare.

Thomas
06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I used to use 7a's because I thought it would make me play faster. Then I turned 13.

I love using heavy sticks. They have so much more power and control. I am usually a Vic Firth guy, but I one day I bought some Promark 2B's and I fell in love with them. They have the perfect feel to them and they last incredibly long. Try 'em out.

And I don't call them blisters. I call them battle scars. Actually, I haven't had a blister in a long time. I tend to get calluses (sp?) now.

adombomb222
06-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Yay. I love Pro-mark... they have a huge line and most of their stick are made out of Japanese Oak or American Hickory which not only looks good, but is really strong. I usually break one of these every few weeks not as often as other sticks. And I love their nylon tips are amazing, they never chip like wood and look better then other sticks nylon tips.

Actually, I haven't had a blister in a long time. I tend to get calluses (sp?) now.

Me too.

Homer
06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Like ducktape tape?

... yeah. Well, not just duct tape, whatever's there. Anything works fine, but medical tape (?) works the best, since with other tape it sort of limits your finger movement.
I know a lot about tape.

Also, Vic Firth 7a nylon tipped stick. Amazing.

adombomb222
06-28-2007, 10:31 PM
I love medical tape!!! It's easier to get off then bandaids... I just get medical pads and make my own-on-the-spot bandaids! They work very well, I'm the best at first aid!

I had one pair of 7As and I snaped them after about the second time playing with them... I think i'll get another pair, they're a lot lighter so maybe i'll be able to play faster.

adombomb222
06-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok so Tama came out with their new Warlord collection. Personally I love the collection, all of these drums are amazingly beautiful. This is the kind of set you don’t want to play; every set has the signature Warlord lugs and genuine Swarovski crystals. They are all made out of the best hand picked wood (or metals). These are truly beautiful drums; Tama has done a great job.

The Masai (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/TamaMasai.jpg)

The Spartan (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/TamaSpatan.jpg)

The Praetorian (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/TamaPraetorian.jpg)

The Valkyrie (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/tamaValkyrie.jpg)

The Exotix (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/Tama.jpg)

I’ve seen the Exotix at my local drum store, Drum City, and it is amazing. They said they had already sold one set and was on the verge of selling another while they still had a third to show. They said that the set sales for ten thousand US dollars! When I researched the set I found out that only one hundred sets were made fifty of them went to the USA. Now when I grow up and have a nice house and a lot of money to waste, I want to buy a set like this. And I’ll set it up in my living room with nice looking cymbals and every thing, top of the line. However I would play it… Its just too beautiful, I think that would be pretty cool, to have a kick ass drum set like this set up in you living room for all your guest to look in awe and envy.

Thomas
06-29-2007, 12:24 AM
I've seen the Masai one before. I can only imagine how good those sound. I think more than that were made, though, because you can get it a musiciansfriend.com. Or at least you could last time I checked.

but OH MY GOD! I want that set. Now.

Thomas
06-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Hey, has anyone ever tried the Regal Tip Jazz Nylon series? They are absolutely amazing. No good for hard rock, obviously, but they give off such a nice sound for jazz. Seriously. Try them now.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here uses traditional grip? Since I started my jazz lessons, I have been using traditional grip more and more. I've actually gotten to the point where my left hand is faster in traditional grip than matched. Obviously not for sweeps, cross-overs, or rolls up and down my toms, but just straight 16th notes on my left hand or snare singles are much faster with traditional grip. This is pretty cool except my drumline marches matched grip, so I kinda screwed myself over with that one. Oh well...

Homer
06-29-2007, 01:14 AM
The Masai (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/TamaMasai.jpg)
The Spartan (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/TamaSpatan.jpg)
The Praetorian (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/TamaPraetorian.jpg)
The Valkyrie (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/tamaValkyrie.jpg)
The Exotix (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/Tama.jpg)

Well...

Time to change my pants.

Thomas
06-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Well...

Time to change my pants.

That's what I was thinking. How much do you think they cost?

Andy
06-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I used to use 5B's, but I hit so damn hard I thought it'd be interesting to use 5A's. I never turned back. Nowadays 5B's just feel too big and cumbersome. Also, funnily enough, I break 5A's much less frequently than 5B's, so it makes financial sense as well.

Brand of choice? Vic Firth.

Thomas
06-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, overall, I am a Vic Firth guy, but those freaking Promark 2B's are just fantastic. And Promarks are by far the most durable stick out there.

Oh, and DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy the Vic Firth Extreme 5B's. Crappiest stick ever.

Hey, I have a question. I'm messing with my bass drum and I tried putting a pillow inside of it to muffle the ring a little bit. I have an Aquarian Superkick II head, so I actually don't need to muffle it, but I found that if I muffle it a little bit, it gives a bit more of a punch. The thing is, though, after putting a pillow in there, it made my bass drum about half as quiet as it used to be. I'm sure it won't be a problem as long as I always play with a mic on my bass in shows, but that's not always available. Any suggestions?

Andy
06-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Is the pillow:

- Resting on the batter-side head?
- Filling up pretty much the entire drum?
- Thick and heavy?

Thomas
06-29-2007, 12:30 PM
All of the above!

I fail. :(

So get a smaller pillow?

I think all I have is a travel-size pillow. COuld i use a rolled up towel?

Andy
06-29-2007, 12:35 PM
From what I've learnt the best thing to have is a nice flat pillow that'll rest happily along the bottom of the drum. If it's resting against the head it'll take the majority of the batter impact, and if it's big and thick it'll absorb the sound. A towell might work, but the best thing is a small shallow pillow, preferably not one stuffed with feathers as they'll absorb too.

Thomas
06-29-2007, 12:37 PM
I was also thinking of getting one of those nice 2-ply resonant heads or maybe even not using a resonant head at all. You think that'll work?

Andy
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Depends what you're after really. You like your bass to sound punchy or BIG?

Thomas
06-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Personally, I prefer big (John Bonham fan right here) but a punchier sound would be a lot better for my band, so I think I'll go for punchy.

Andy
06-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Then go for the 2-ply reso. Personally I've found that in normal situations reso heads make little or no difference, but with a nice mic it'll channel and define the punch nicely. Although, to be honest, any head's fine for that.

Thomas
06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Alright. I have actually been thinking about getting one of these babies.

http://www.vintagelogos.com/

Look at some of the pictures. They are amazing.

Andy
06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
You've gotta go for the classic Buddy Rich style, with just your initials framed in the shield design.

adombomb222
06-29-2007, 01:37 PM
That's what I was thinking. How much do you think they cost?

The Praetorian lists for about $2600 and the others from $900. It's Exotix that's the most expensive, but they onlt made 100 of them, the set sales for $10000.

adombomb222
06-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Thomas, I have my bass set up as to give it a real nice punch and it just sound great. All I did was but a regular sized pillow that was thin inside the shell and I got a Remo sound Control head (which are amazing) and its not too tight, there are no wrinkles but still itís lose. The back does not have a mic hole, but it sounds amazing.

mrconeman
06-29-2007, 02:03 PM
New guitar day!

I'd been after the Epiphone Hummingbird since I played it in December and decided it just needed to be mine, it looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, and I love how it kind of feels like an acoustic version of my Les Paul.
I got this cheaper than I usually seen it, I've seen it on the net upwards of &#163;300, and the cheapest I've ever seen it was &#163;200, I got it for &#163;230, not a bad deal at all, especially considering I blagged some picks, new strings and a gig bag out of them :)

pics....
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/mrconeman/hummingbird2.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/mrconeman/hummingbird3.jpg

Homer
06-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I want... now.

Wait, wait, £300? Aw man, how much is that in CAD dollars? $430? Damn... looks like I'm not getting that guitar... unless, I can somehow find it for a cheaper price...

Llamas
06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
300 pounds is $600 USD, which makes it like $640 canadian dollars.

adombomb222
06-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Wait pounds... countries still use pounds?

Thomas
06-29-2007, 10:40 PM
You've gotta go for the classic Buddy Rich style, with just your initials framed in the shield design.

Actually, I'm thinking of getting one of the 3D ones. I'm planning on getting the little 4-piece Gretch Catalina Jazz kit (I've used it before, and it was the most fun I've ever had on drums) eventually so I might get it then.

I'll probably change my mind and just end up getting the Buddy Rich design, though.

Thomas
07-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Hey, drummers, you all probably have heard of it, but the heel-toe technique thing is amazing. it's EXTREMELY easy to learn and it adds SO MUCH to your playing!

I almost got that thing that like everyone can do with double bass pedals on one foot with the heel-toe technique! It goes like this:

T|oo--oo--oo--oo--oo--oo--oo--oo--|
B|--oo--oo--oo--oo--oo--oo--oo--oo|

Like, you know, that 32nd note pattern that Neil Peart and Danny Carey use alot with their double bass pedals? Yeah, it's that but with only one pedal.

So if you are a drummer, look up Derrick Pope on youtube. He has a video that teaches you this technique (and the Buddy Rich one-handed roll, but I'm not good enough for that just yet). Seriously. Try it. it's changed my drumming forever.

Andy
07-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I've never tried the heel-toe. Personally, I just prefer to have a really tight pedal and use the tip of my big toe when I play fast songs; that way I can easily get some very sexy Bonham-esque triplets out of my kick.

adombomb222
07-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok, I'm getting a painful bilster on my pointer finger in two spots... and it sucks ass.

And I tried the Heal Toe thing, and I think if i deelop it a bit more I could use it a lot... But right now I'll stick to heal up.

Homer
07-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Oh yeah, the heal-toe thing is awesome. I remember when I first mastered the technique... it was awesome, and I saw that video of the "single foot double pedal" a while back. I tried it, but unfortunately my floor tom sounds no where near the sound of my bass drum. Meh.

300 pounds is $600 USD, which makes it like $640 canadian dollars.

Pounds? Oh yeah. For some reason I was thinking Euros. I'm stupid.

Thomas
07-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I've never tried the heel-toe. Personally, I just prefer to have a really tight pedal and use the tip of my big toe when I play fast songs; that way I can easily get some very sexy Bonham-esque triplets out of my kick.

Oh, I've actually applied heel-toe to Good Times, Bad Times, and that song has some of Bonham's craziest foot patterns.

The only downside is thatr now that I've mastered heel-toe, my heel-up is starting to lose strength. =/

Ryder1234
07-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Fucking die.

I recently had to mess with my Jazz Bass' strings, too. None of them were sounding, so I had to detune them all (causing the G to snap for no real reason whatsoever), raise the saddles, and then restring it. This was over the course of about 3 weeks because I've been so busy/unable to find Alan's Head screwdrivers. Also, the input jack on that bass is busted, which is starting to severely bother me.

My guitar, however, is in tip-top shape. I recently turned all of my effects on at once and managed to replicate a dying animal. I plan on using it at some point.

1 of my beginer guitars is, bacically dead, it needs new pickups because mine are so bad, that if i take my hands of the strings, for some reason i get killer static, the neck is warped beyond repair, but still playable, and that makes the string a good half inch off the neck at the joint, but a milimeter off at the nut. the bridge sucks really bad, i had to lower it so low to try to even out my strings. so im going to convert it to a hardtail bridge, get new pickups from seymour-duncan and between a 1960 to 1980 strat reissue neck, because this guitar is a strat copy. search my post history and one of my first threads is called " i gots a new guitar" and its about this one. mean while the only thing bad on my ibanez gio is big scrathches in the paint, and my squier tele is like 3 weeks old, so its all good

Steve-O
07-05-2007, 05:12 PM

My advice is to spend more on the amp than the guitar, but if you are spending all of your money, divide it roughly half way for guitar, and amp. Still, spend more on the amp, any player will tell you that the amp is that bit more important for tone than the guitar.

Still, before I reccomend any specific models, what music do you listen to, what do you play, what do you hope to play in the future etc etc...

However if all you listen to is pop punk, all you play is pop punk, and all you want to play is pop punk, I'm not even going to bother, you can get a decent pop punk or punk tone out of absolutely anything.

So ok I'm sorry that i didn't respond earlier but i've been busy lately. O.k firstly i would like to spend a little more on a guitar than the amp, I like to listen and play alot more heavy music for example Metallica, pantera, Maiden some ozzy mabye etc.\
I would also like to try to get a kick ass paint sceme on my guitar (do you think that its possible to get a guitar like your black beauty with a very nice paint sceme on it?)

Ryder1234
07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Roger: Flying V's are pretty meh. I've played one and it was really uncomfortable to sit and play. Plus, you're pretty much stuck with that trebley ear-rape tone constantly when playing it, which sucks. But go for the Big Muff Pi; I've had mine for about a year and a half, and it gives great tone.

for the sound, it might not be better but ibanez copies the flying v i play one last month its got the rg headstock

adombomb222
07-05-2007, 11:09 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/Pictures007.jpg

This ting is amazing, I love it, and it sounds so beautiful. Itís a hell of a lot better then all you crash cymbals ĖEnd of story!

Thomas
07-06-2007, 02:01 PM
What size is that? 16"?

But yeah, very nice. I think I'd still prefer my A Custom 20" crash, but that's just me.

adombomb222
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Yea, 16"... now I just need something that'll go well with it, something that'll complement the Custom Dark K, while also retaining a good sound and have a strong cutting accent. Got anything in mind that I could try?

Thomas
07-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Not K Custom Dark?

I suggest Sabian HHX. I'm not usually a Sabian fan, but these are excellent cymbals that I would almost compare to K's (although not quite there). I have recorded with those HHX's and they have terrific sound.

adombomb222
07-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh, but it is a K Custom Dark.

Thomas
07-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, yeah. I know that. I meant are you looking for a cymbal that isn't K Custom Dark?

adombomb222
07-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Yea, I don't want it to be the same type of cymbal... something that has a different sound, but that will go good with the K.

Thomas
07-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, try Sabian HHX's or HH's. Very high quality cymbals. Sabian Vaults are also not too bad, but I don't know if they would work as well with the K Custom Darks.

You could also just try some regular K's. Those are always very nice.

German Andres
07-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Sorry for changing the subject, but man I`d really love to play drums! Yesterday I was in a friend`s house and I picked up the bass and I really enjoyed it! And if I could play drums, that`d be awesome!
Is it as easy as the guitar?

mrconeman
07-15-2007, 11:40 AM
You can't compare instruments in terms of difficulty really. I mean it can be harder to apply music theory and the physical technique could be more of a challenge, but some people are just built for certain instruments.

I picked up guitar quite easily and naturally once shown a few 'rules' of playing, but I just can't wrap my head around a drum kit. I know drummers who simply don't 'get' the way to play a guitar.

Harnum
07-16-2007, 12:43 PM
You can't compare instruments in terms of difficulty really. I mean it can be harder to apply music theory and the physical technique could be more of a challenge, but some people are just built for certain instruments.

I picked up guitar quite easily and naturally once shown a few 'rules' of playing, but I just can't wrap my head around a drum kit. I know drummers who simply don't 'get' the way to play a guitar.

Truer words were never spoken. Some people can pick up things easier than others. I, for instance, play bass. A lot of people will be all like, "lolol bass iz sooo much eayser dan g-tar! git a real instrumnt!" Sure, in a lot of categories of music, bass is easier than guitar. But, every instrument has it's own superb level of difficulty depending on what exactly you play. Like for bass, I find that the funk slapping and popping is a very hard technique to learn. It takes quite a bit of time and not everyone can do it.

Just stick with what you enjoy and with practice, you'll be a good bassist. Then you can play those harder elements of music and finally feel like you have achieved a great level of difficulty. lawlz.

/speech

German Andres
07-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I thought that the bass would be easy to play, but when I picked it up last Saturday it was`t as easy as I had thought. That`s what it seemed to me

Homer
07-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Our bassist isn't the greatest, but I guess that's because he's been playing piano his whole life, which is very different from the bass. I thought he'd be great, because of all the finger moving and crap, but meh... it hasn't been long, so we'll see. Anyways, I consider myself a pretty good drummer, and I've been drumming for about 5 or 6 years until I picked up the guitar and decided to play it for my band. I must say, it was easier than I thought, but that may be due to transferable skills. I had good rhythm, I could keep a good tempo, and I was coordinated enough to actually play it pretty well. I don't know, maybe I'm just awesome at everything...

Just kidding :( .

Harnum
07-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Haha! Homer, I'm the same way. I can play bass, guitar, drums, and I can sing half decent. One man band much? =]

Homer
07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what it's like. Now, only if I had a mixer... that'd be good. But the only problem is that I don't really NEED a mixer, since we use our guitarist's mixer to record all of our songs and stuff. Oh well, once I get enough money just to be able to throw around, I'll probably get one.

German Andres
07-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what it's like. Now, only if I had a mixer... that'd be good. But the only problem is that I don't really NEED a mixer, since we use our guitarist's mixer to record all of our songs and stuff. Oh well, once I get enough money just to be able to throw around, I'll probably get one.

Je you should try

Harnum
07-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Ok. On a totally different topic, I just wrote the coolest thing ever. It's insane! On my bass, it's like a techno/disco/cool-o thing. I will have a recording and an upload later. If it wasn't almost 12 A.M here, I'd record now. Expect one within a few days. =]

coke_a_holic
07-21-2007, 08:26 PM
One man band discussion: If I could play drums, that would make things easier. Unfortunately, the best I can do is guitar, bass, keyboards (which I'm still trying to teach myself), and drum machine programming. My brother plays drums, but he recently decided he'd rather be a sk8rpunx instead. Blegh.

Ok. On a totally different topic, I just wrote the coolest thing ever. It's insane! On my bass, it's like a techno/disco/cool-o thing. I will have a recording and an upload later. If it wasn't almost 12 A.M here, I'd record now. Expect one within a few days. =]

The best songs are written after 3 AM. Seriously, try staying up even later and THEN recording it (quietly). Every song I've written that I've deemed "listenable" was started after 2 AM. I do not sleep.

Harnum
07-21-2007, 08:51 PM
lol @ sk8rpunx.

Well, the only problem with having it written after 3 A.M, it that fact that it's done already.. =[ I also keep forgetting the little riff and my friends have to remind me ot it. I'm gonna have to record! Right now.

Andy
08-14-2007, 03:06 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/Adombomb222/Pictures007.jpg

This ting is amazing, I love it, and it sounds so beautiful. Itís a hell of a lot better then all you crash cymbals ĖEnd of story!

Better even than my 18" Paiste 2002 Medium?

Ooooooooooooooooooooh doubtful :D

Oh how I love my Medium.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
08-14-2007, 10:09 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/Rabble4life/100_1930.jpg
1st: My shitty beginner strat lookalike. This guitar is shit to such an extent i wont even explain

2nd: My Ibanez Gio GRG, its good, not great, and 1/4 of quality of an RG

3rd: My Squire Telecaster, note how it has a humbucker instead of a single coil at the neck. This by far is my best guitar, used more for mellow stuf instead of my customary distorted sound, but very capable

mrconeman
08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm only posting so that I don't have to see ~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~ on the home page of the forum again.

coke_a_holic
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
thx thx

Thomas
08-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Better even than my 18" Paiste 2002 Medium?

Ooooooooooooooooooooh doubtful :D

Oh how I love my Medium.

paiste 2002's are great cymbals (I'm particularly fond of the hi-hats), but they've got nothing on the K's. Nothing at all.

Thomas
08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
um.... yeah.... I can do that....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XhE5HJc0wyI

:( :( :(

DexterWannabe
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
i'm planning to buy an SG-build-it-yourself-kit, it comes with all pieces, but i want a good pickup, i mostly play play hardcore and punk rock. i want a pickup at least "heavy sound" as a p-90.
anyone? emg, seymour duncan, dimarzio?

huh?

Harnum
09-09-2007, 12:10 PM
*bump*
Me and a friend went and made a footswitch for his guitar amp today because we were bored as fuck. Anyway, this is how it turned out!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/harnum721/Footswitch.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/harnum721/Footswitch2.jpg

mrconeman
09-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle.

Vera
09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
What note? G?

mrconeman
09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
It's a D. And I got it for free. And It's awesome.

Dr.evil
09-10-2007, 05:06 PM
im gunna ask you all this question because i cant be fucked making up my mind. i am a drummer and am looking at replacing/repairing my kit, should i repair the one i have or should i buy a new one?

German Andres
09-10-2007, 05:31 PM
im gunna ask you all this question because i cant be fucked making up my mind. i am a drummer and am looking at replacing/repairing my kit, should i repair the one i have or should i buy a new one?

Well since Iam a guitarrist and I don`t know much about drums, but I have a friend that is an amazing drummer (someday I`m gonna upload a video so you can hear him) and we were talking and he commented me that its much more expensive to repair a drum kit than to get a new one.

Dr.evil
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Well since Iam a guitarrist and I don`t know much about drums, but I have a friend that is an amazing drummer (someday I`m gonna upload a video so you can hear him) and we were talking and he commented me that its much more expensive to repair a drum kit than to get a new one.

ok... 2nd question... mapex or pearl? the mapex is cheaper but the pearl is better quality. both are without cymbals and stool (but i have both)

Thomas
09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
ok... 2nd question... mapex or pearl? the mapex is cheaper but the pearl is better quality. both are without cymbals and stool (but i have both)

Pearl. Easily. Get either one of the Exports or one of the Visions if you are on a budget. Amazing drums.

Harnum
09-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle, I got a tin whistle.

But... but.. I made a footswitch! :( Where's my 15 minutes of fame?! Oh hell... nevermind... :( :o :(

Lawlz, tin whistle. =]

Sinister
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Once again I go hunting for every guitarist's elusive dream : the perfect tone. Right now one thing I could use help with is the best order to put my effects:

-DigiTech Death Metal Distortion
-DigiTech Turbo Flange
-DigiTech Whammy

Also, please suggest EQ settings. And should I have the EQ on my DDM matching the one on my amp as closely as possible ?

T-6005
09-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Firstly, before you go tone hunting it's highly recommended to decide on a tone.

Secondly, you're looking for a tone with something called Death Metal Distortion?

Sinister
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Currently I'm trying to go for this (http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7C90sLh5Ok) lead sound (0:21).

I'm not sure I understand the question about my distortion though.

coke_a_holic
09-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Funny, I was under the impression that finding a tone meant actually finding your own tone, not aping Kirk Hammet's.

Sinister
09-11-2007, 08:26 PM
*sigh*

I thought it was implied that I would only use a tone like his as a starting point.
edit: would you know what T meant with the question ?

coke_a_holic
09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Uh, yeah, if you want to get all arrogant at me, I can play that card, too.

It was obvious that he was making fun of you for picking a pedal that has the name DEATH METAL as an object for determining your tone because distortion pedals are notorious for wrecking tone, rather than causing it. You'd be better off throwing your guitar at a wall until it makes a sound you like than using something that intense to define "your sound."

/pretension

Sinister
09-11-2007, 08:36 PM
I meant no arrogance, sorry if that's what it looked like. Anyway, I just realized it's quite likely that there will never be two people who can agree on the greatness of any given tone; so let's drop this.

And as a side-note, I got that pedal for the sound it gives, not because of its possibly "impressive" name.

opivy21
09-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Anyway, I just realized it's quite likely that there will never be two people who can agree on the greatness of any given tone; so let's drop this.
I don't know about that. I think that tone can be a pretty objective thing. Personally, I like tones that would be considered "bad" by the majority of serious guitarists. I don't know exactly why, but I just do, and I'm happy to acknowledge that my tone is "poor". Of course I like the way it sounds, or else I would change my settings, but that brings up my point that "good" and "bad" are just relative terms in this case. For example, I imagine that the vast majority of serious guitarists would agree that Brian May has a very good tone, regardless of whether or not they like his music or playing. Anyway, I'm too tired to take this any further. I don't really know why I chose to bring this up.

mrconeman
09-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Once again I go hunting for every guitarist's elusive dream : the perfect tone. Right now one thing I could use help with is the best order to put my effects:

-DigiTech Death Metal Distortion
-DigiTech Turbo Flange
-DigiTech Whammy

Also, please suggest EQ settings. And should I have the EQ on my DDM matching the one on my amp as closely as possible ?
Don't buy/use a digitech Don't buy/use a digitech Don't buy/use a digitech Don't buy/use a digitech. Don't buy anything with Death Metal written on it.

Currently I'm trying to go for this (http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7C90sLh5Ok) lead sound (0:21).

I'm not sure I understand the question about my distortion though.
Don't cop Kirk Hammett's tone, it's arguably the worst tone for lead metal guitar playing in the history of lead metal guitar playing. Yes this is my opinion, but it's one shared by basically anyone who knows anything about tone...I know this is a tone discussion but he also has the worst vibrato of any professional musician I have ever heard.

I meant no arrogance, sorry if that's what it looked like. Anyway, I just realized it's quite likely that there will never be two people who can agree on the greatness of any given tone; so let's drop this.

Disagree. There are large agreements on who has nice tone, and who doesn't, I mean you're generally right, there is no such thing as definable good with no exceptions tone, but you will find that in general people agree on what's bad and what isn't.

Sinister
09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I've come to realize a few things already :

1) Petrucci's tone on "About to Crash (Reprise)" is eargasmic. Much more so than any tone ever used on any Metallica song, but Fade to Black was right at the top of my mind last night as I'd spent about an hour practicing it.

2) I'm a fool to think I can get any sort of half-decent sound out of a solidstate Crate GTX212, and I don't have the budget for a tube amp with equivalent volume output (110dB or so).

One thing that's still beyond me is, what the fuck is apparently so inherently wrong with DigiTech ?

mrconeman
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM
The only decent pedal they ever made was the whammy. I mean the regular everyday distortion pedals you get from digitech aren't exactly the worst things on the planet, but there is better out there for in and around the same price, but to be frank their multi-effects units are laughable, and they still have some plastic casing pedals floating around. Plastic casing for an effects pedal is like...well it's like plastic casing on an effects pedal. Wrong...wrong and horrendous. In conclusion Boss > Digitech for single effects pedals, Line6 >>>>>>>>>> digitech for multi effects pedals

T-6005
09-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm just saying that I can't imagine a death metal pedal with enough variety to provide satisfactory tone - then again, I personally like to stray into the fuzz settings on my multieffect, and that's a debateable area as well. In any case, if you're just looking for a metal tone, it's easy to turn everything to full, lower your midrange and raise your high-end and low-end EQ. That's probably halfway to your average death metal tone, especially with the distortion you're sticking to. For Kirk Hammett just stick a wah pedal and a bit of reverb to whatever you're doing.

And I think the argument about the amp is irrelevant - everything I've gotten since I started has been based more on familiarity with my equipment (I currently use a tiny, shitty little 10-watt) than on any inherent qualities of more expensive gear. Not that you won't get more powerful, more versatile equipment if you move up a price bracket (for the most part, anyway), but even then you have to learn how to get the best out of your gear through experimentation and endless fiddling.

Since that's the key to the post, I figured it deserved to be bolded.

mrconeman
09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
The only thing I'd add to T's post is that all experienced players sound like themselves on other peoples gear. It's a debatable area in where a players tone comes from, pretentious morons like to get into arguments weather its all from the guitar, all the amp, all the pedal, or all in fingers. People with any intelligence will tell you as an indisputable fact that it comes from everything between your brain and your speakers. Basically what I'm saying is you can clone any rig you want, but unless you happen to have a feeling and musical sense exactly like whoever you try to sound like, you're still going to sound like you.
Example:
Steve Vai once played through Eddie Van Halen's rig, and was very disappointed at just how much he still sounded exactly like Steve Vai and not Eddie Van Halen.

mrconeman
09-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I got a midi keyboard I got a midi keyboard I got a midi keyboard I got a midi keyboard.

T-6005
09-22-2007, 01:04 PM
What kind? My MIDI keyboard is pretty cool, except that the power source occasionally comes out the back while it's hooked up, which makes the entire MIDI freeze.

coke_a_holic
09-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a MIDI keyboard, but no MIDI Cables. Which negates the purpose of it. I'm sadz.

mrconeman
09-23-2007, 05:56 AM
What kind?
MIDI, this kind:

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/images/m-audio_keystation_49e_usb_midi_controller_keyboard. gif
It's nothing special, but it's all I need for now.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 08:48 AM
i have a keyboard but i havent used it in a while its so hard to play theres so many buttons

Harnum
10-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Guess who got a new bass?! =]

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/harnum721/100_9235.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/harnum721/100_9236.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/harnum721/100_9259.jpg

German Andres
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Very nice!

Harnum
10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks! But even nicer is the sound. <3 lawlz

opivy21
10-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Snazzy. ;lk

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
mmh, im pretty shure im getting an Ibanez RG321MH hardtail for christmas http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/Rabble4life/?action=view&current=RG321MH_GN_1P_02.gif its so nice its got infinity pickups. i love ibanez guitars tho because this is only $318.95 and made in indonesia. but then i went to long and mqcuade and there was a used Ibanez RGT42DXFM http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/Rabble4life/?action=view&current=RGT42DXFM_BBL_1M_02.gif except it was candy apple red
and it was only $180.99 instead of $450.95 and for some reason there was 2 input jacks on the BACKPLATE of the guitar and none in the sidee, so i was like wtf? i could understand it if there was one on the back, but 2? so ya anyway i think im gonna get the rg321MH hardtail tho, i want a hardtail rg for a change. (well i guess a gio and an rg but some basic design)

mrconeman
10-04-2007, 03:26 AM
Posting again, just so his name isn't on the front page.

Harnum
10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Rabble4life? What the shit are you on?

Anyway, you like the bass coneman? What's been going on with your musical endeavours?

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-04-2007, 08:20 PM
^^Um, i dont really know what i was doiin when i posted that, but all i know is rg321 = sexy. oh and thats a damn nice bass dude, totally missed it, i know what is also sexy, is fender jaguar basses, i saw a red one and sounded so good. but ya how many guitars/basses/musical stuff in general do you have? ive got a squier telecaster w/ a humbucker, an ibanez gio, hevily upgrade, and a crappy strat style guitar, witch im giving a complete overhaul, seriously, like the only thig i kept was the body of the guitar, not even the wires

coke_a_holic
10-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Posting so his name isn't on the front page.

Vera
10-05-2007, 12:31 AM
I appreciate the effort but at least attempt to stay vaguely on topic when doing that, mmmkay?

Harnum
10-06-2007, 06:55 AM
but ya how many guitars/basses/musical stuff in general do you have?

I have that Squier 70's Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, A Barracuda P-Bass Copy, and I have a very old Fender Bronco guitar. I think it's from the 70's.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 06:52 PM
I have that Squier 70's Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, A Barracuda P-Bass Copy, and I have a very old Fender Bronco guitar. I think it's from the 70's.

nice, im no wizard w/ basses though, so i cant really say that its awsome or not, except for the looks of the bass. Although i played a very nice Fender P - Bass a few days ago, and it sounded so good (also it was matte/flat 3-tone sunburst. i wasnt exactly used to such large frets, but punk rock on bass is pretty relavent to guitar, so it wasnt so bad. i might be getting a squier p bass though, but first im saving up for a epiphone sg in 1 tone sunburst, with the rg321 on top of that for x-mas

mrconeman
10-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi. I'd like to pop in and say my name is mrconeman, which is coincidentally better than ~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~'s or whatever the fuck.

I have a few things to adress in this and the other thread, but I'm really droned out at the minute, so I'll get back to it tomorrow.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi. I'd like to pop in and say my name is mrconeman, which is coincidentally better than ~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~'s or whatever the fuck.

Your point being?

seriously, fuck off, whats wrong with my name, it perfecly fine and i dont give a fuck if yours is better, i chose this name, fuck you

u and coke a holic can go fuck yourselfs

Homer
10-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Uh, no. Go fuck YOURselves.

(posting to take that name off of the front page)

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Uh, no. Go fuck YOURselves.

(posting to take that name off of the front page)

fucking die, im not gonna go away

Homer
10-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Your name goes away when I post.

Anyways, to stay on topic...

Uh, so yeah, I've got two cymbals that both have cracks around the bell. Anyways, one day I went to the kit to play the drums, and I noticed that my brother had drilled some small holes at the ends of the cracks. Can someone tell me what the fuck he did? I mean, I can understand that it kind of prevents the crack from spreading, but now the cymbals sound like shit.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Your name goes away when I post.

Anyways, to stay on topic...

i never wanted to go off topic, but, ya evry1 was like:mad: and i was like why:mad: , so ya...

but anyways, im thinking of buying an epiphone sg, its used for 175.99 dollars, and i was wondering, are the epiphone sg's good, especially if its only that much. and i cant say much about your cymbals as im not a drummer, somif you dont get an explanation id have to say you need new cymbals

coke_a_holic
10-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Taking his name off the front page.

I never saw why SGs were that great or why anyone would buy so many guitars. I have been playing for 5 years now and have only ever owned two guitars: a Strat and an acoustic guitar I got for free from my school because they were going to throw it away.

EDIT:
i never wanted to go off topic, but, ya evry1 was like:mad: and i was like why:mad: , so ya...

Rofl Mao.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Taking his name off the front page.

I never saw why SGs were that great or why anyone would buy so many guitars. I have been playing for 5 years now and have only ever owned two guitars: a Strat and an acoustic guitar I got for free from my school because they were going to throw it away.

i collect guitars and im getting an sg for a differnt sond, as i will have 2 ibanez', two fenders(well 1 is a squier, and one im just overhauling so its a fender) so i want a 3rd sound, which is an sg (if im not mistaken sgs are sort of crunchy, right?)

coke_a_holic
10-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Just as a question, what kind of music do you play?

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Just as a question, what kind of music do you play?

punk rock, mostly offspring, social d and bad religion, but my tele is used for more melow sounds, and my strat is taken apart right now. i would record somthing, but i have nothing to recrd w/, not even a mic, and my ibanez gio just doesnt cut it anyway. ill go to my freinds when i get my rg and record some, well, ill record the creeps by social d and smash by offspring and ya the sg is for the older punk stuff, and my rg is for newer stuff/ low end sounds when palm muting

coke_a_holic
10-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, it's a good thing you've spent so much money on guitars that have such wildly different tones for playing Offspring songs.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, it's a good thing you've spent so much money on guitars that have such wildly different tones for playing Offspring songs.

ya man its not just for offspring tho, im not like crazy fan or somthing. i also dont play just punk. its amazing i can even play much, because im self taught, so my playin aint that great yet. now im just tthinking i could just post a vid on youtube of me playin

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 08:35 PM
and anyway my most expensive guitar was $390, and its the only guitar ive actually bought, the other 2 were for xmas, as will my rg, and im buyin the sg

Homer
10-06-2007, 08:37 PM
There are tons of models of Epiphone SGs. I learned this when I went to purchase mine.

I bought the G-400, which, I think, is the best model in terms of overall quality. It's also red and not gay/black/white.

coke_a_holic
10-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Posting so his name isn't on the front page.

Also, ell oh ell ell ell oh oh oh ell oh ell oh ell oh oh oh ell.

Congratulations.

EDIT: thx Carson.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
and i cant seem to get good sounds out of distortion pedal. is it i just dont have a good setup or is it just that Boss DS-2s arent good

Homer
10-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Distortion pedals give you a distorted sound. Fact.

EDIT: thx Carson.

ur welcme.

EDIT:

x 2! :eek: :eek:

Professor Chaos
10-06-2007, 08:49 PM
You aren't using enough gain.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 09:55 PM
k
(and because of ten letters,backflips,therefor)

T-6005
10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Your point being?

seriously, fuck off, whats wrong with my name, it perfecly fine and i dont give a fuck if yours is better, i chose this name, fuck you

Numbers and symbols are generally unappreciated. They take away from whatever you're going to say by pointing out that you're obsessed with frivolities.

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 10:48 PM
i want those taken out but im shure others arent satisfied w/ their names but still i chose the name and must of had a motive at the time 4 the symbols but not shire of it now but still thik of the other ppl w/ , umm, "naughty words" in their names, its not like my name is directed at you or anything ure concerned w/

EDIT: what are frivolities?

~!@#$_Rabble4life_$#@!~
10-06-2007, 10:52 PM
LAwLz, george bush is a NoOb! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60wpkJIWN7o)

srry that was totally off topic, but totally worth it

mrconeman
10-07-2007, 02:47 AM
Your point being?

o.k. Thanks for this advice.
(posting to get rid of his name, and now I'm really hung over, and will post in depth about those things I was talking about earlier, but later.)

Vera
10-07-2007, 03:34 AM

I love this guy. Get his name on the front page!

On-topic! Oboe - real instrument or just sort of gay?

Thomas
10-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Sort of gay until you see how well paid professional oboe players (oboeists?) make. I know a kid who is probably going to get a free ride to college on his oboe.

Homer
10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
So, I was looking at acoustic guitars today, and I found two that I think I am going to to end up having to choose between.

One is the Epiphone Hummingbird at $340 (? around there) and a Yamaha at $390.

I was pretty determined on getting the Hummingbird until I was pleasantly surprised at how the Yamaha sounded. I'm still leaning towards the Hummingbird after the raving review mrconeman gave it, so I'm here to get some opinions.

P.S. I'm probably going to buy one or the other this Friday.

Homer
10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Okay, so here's my story:

I went into Long and McQuade hoping to pick up a Hummingbird. But you see, I wasn't 100% sure of whether or not I wanted it. So, I fooled around with it, played some more of the Yamaha, then I decided to take my mind off of it for a while to play the electric drum kit.

Anyways, I went back to the acoustic section, I picked up the Hummingbird, played it for a while and finally told myself that I was not going to have any second thoughts and I was going to get the Hummingbird, but that's when I saw another guitar. It was right in the corner, I picked it up, played it, and instantly liked the sound. I looked at the price, and what do you know, it was only 20 bucks more than the Hummingbird! So I picked this one up instead:

http://www.gear4music.com/pimages/31ej200eb.jpg

The EJ-200. It sounds and looks amazing, especially for the price of $400... wait, I probably could've gotten in cheaper in the States... damn Canada.

Thomas
10-31-2007, 08:15 PM
So I'm saving up to get this snare drum:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/Drummerguy123/464550.jpg

I've played on one before and it sounds great, like, as good as it looks. I've been looking for a big big snare drum, and this is the biggest one Pearl offers, and I've always like the warm sound of Pearls, so I figured this one is just about perfect. I can get it for about $215, too, so I'd have to be stupid to not get it.

Harnum
11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
I just recently bought my new Squier Vintage Jazz Bass and I am looking at amp options now. I would like some advice or suggestions! I just want a nice clean sound but also when I want to, I can make it nice and funky with lotzzzzz o treble n stuff. I just want a nice, versatile amp that can switch up the sound like my bass can.

Mr. Gepetto
11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I play the guitar, and I've messed around with basses at my local shop and really enjoy just making lines up as I go so I decided I'm going to buy a bass so... any recomendations for an inexpensive bass? I'm think an OLP because I just love the MuisicMan look, and also the Line 6 Variax, they're going pretty cheap on ebay...

Harnum
12-20-2007, 04:02 PM
*bump*

I just lowered the strings on my bass because they were waaaay high off the fretboard. I did it by the little screwy things on the bridge. But it seems that my 17th fret is dead on my E and A strings. Any tips on how to potentially solve this without having the strings go back to 6 inches off the fretboard?

mrconeman
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Keep highering it up a little bit, bits at a time, until there are no dead spots.

Autonomist
12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
i have a guitar that i never learned to play?

Thomas
12-21-2007, 11:45 AM
So I didn't get the pearl because it was a bit out of my price range and just wouldn't really be used because of my band's style, so I ended up getting the Pork Pie 7" x 13" Little Squealer.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/3/9/0/498390.jpg

Holy crap, this baby sings. It has a very nice high pitched crack when tuned up (which is how I have it) and it still has GREAT sensitivity and buzz. I can't quite figure it out, but for some reason, if I ever need a quick short hit, I can make it play a quick note with no resonance at all after the initial impact, but if I take that same stroke and apply it to a fast rool, it resonates amazingly. Also, the rim shots are the best I've ever heard on a snare, and I've played on everything from Tama Starclassic Bubingas to Pearl References. Nothing beats this snare. I'm sure if you tuned it down, it would be GREAT for jazz because of it's sensitivity. Unless you are in an 80's hair-metal band, I can't think of a genre this snare COULDN'T be played with. Don't let the name fool you, it does a WHOLE LOT more than just squeal (although it is quite good at that...). I'm thinking of buying it's smaller counterpart for a side snare, although I don't see why I would need to because of the vast amount of sounds I can get out of it. In other words, GET THIS SNARE!!!!!

btw, put a Remo Ambassador singly-ply white coated head. A thin head is a MUST to allow this drum resonate to it's fullest potential.

adombomb222
12-21-2007, 03:27 PM
I haven't really played on too many deep snares. I prefer the slim steal/metal piccolo snares, I own a 3 inch think Tama snare. I was looking at a smaller Pearl piccolo snare.

Oh and as for a head, I'd go, at least for a piccolo snare, a Remo sound control head with the black/clear dot and an E-ring.

Thomas
12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
So I guess you're one of those guys that prefers to not have any resonance out of your snare?

adombomb222
12-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Hell I get plently of responce out of it, loud and quick thats all I need.

Thomas
12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, i need my drums to ring. I can't stand having a dead snare drum.

Punk-Freak
12-22-2007, 10:24 AM
So today I was all moste done, with my guitar (I'm building one). I gave it the last spray of paint, but noooo... I had to listen to a guy who said "go out now 'n give it some more"
But now the fucking paint's totally fucked, and I've godt a few days work to do.

It fucking sucks:mad:

Harnum
12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Keep highering it up a little bit, bits at a time, until there are no dead spots.

I started to do that, but constantly having to tighten/loosen the strings to check and stuff was a hassle. I don't have the right equipment (if there is any like an allen key or something) to do it with. So, I just stuck them back to normal. I'll get my friend who knows what he's doing to fix it I guess.

Harnum
12-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I got my new amp for Christmas! <3 It's a Fender 60-watt Rumble. She's amazing for my first amp other than a 16-watt Kustom. =] I'm happy. Maybe I'll post pictures later in the 'Pictures' thread. yay4me!

Anyone else get anything music related for Christmas?

Marco
12-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I think I'm getting new pickups for my Ibanez...
Probably diMarzio.

Do you think you can combine a Super Distortion on the neck, a stratocaster single-coil in the middle and a PAF on the bridge?

Homer
12-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Anyone else get anything music related for Christmas?

I got a guitar case for my acoustic... except that it's waaaay too small, not meant for my guitar, and not meant for an acoustic.

I lol'd.

Harnum
12-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I honestly don't follow. :(

Me FTL! :o

Homer
12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
The shape of the case =/= the shape of my guitar.

Then I proceeded to lol.

Harnum
12-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Oh. Now I get it..

.. and I lol'ed a bit too. :o

Homer
12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
We all lol'd a bit.

Especially those bastards down at Long and McQuade...

Harnum
12-30-2007, 08:29 AM
So I guess you never picked out your case yourself?

Harnum
01-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Um, well as far as myself & instruments, my Rainforest RG project is fucked, I dropped it. This pushed my shitty-workmanship into a completely unplayable state, so I'm in the process of selling the parts off. On the rebound I bought a 2005 SZ 520 which I'm super happy with. Got straplocks for it today, so with them on, I'll have my 05 SZ, 05 RG and my home-made strat with invader (coz i was a fag and liked blink lots back in the day).

I totally missed this post from way back and now I am uber-sadz! WHY?! =[

Mr. Gepetto
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok so basically I am joining a band and need a bass amp that will be gig-playable. I really want to keep it under $300 so to anyone with suggestions, I would apreciate it.=]

coke_a_holic
01-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't really own a bass amp, I play my bass through my guitar amp (lol), but you're going to want it to be at least 100 watts and you should look for it used if you don't want to pay over $300. Go to a guitar shop where they have used amps, tell them you want a gig-worthy bass amp that isn't too big and tell them what kind of music you want to play on it. They'll hopefully be able to help you out.

That_Guy91
01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I play my bass through my guitar amp.

Won't that make the universe explode?

Harnum
01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Won't that make the universe explode?
It usually does. I broke the universe once. People got very mad at me. Scary people.. :(

Ok so basically I am joining a band and need a bass amp that will be gig-playable. I really want to keep it under $300 so to anyone with suggestions, I would apreciate it.=]
I just got a brand new Fender 60-watt Rumble for Christmas and I can tell you that it's decent quality. Not 100 watts mind you, but still a very nice amp. I bought it for $285 (Canadian) and I was super surprised. I loveloveLOVE it!

This is the amp in question.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/harnum721/100_9555.jpg
(lol@tilefloorz)