PDA

View Full Version : Paptown ; 3007 AD

Sin Studly
06-13-2007, 03:56 AM
So, earlier this week I hear the rumbling of a helicopter directly over my house. I walk outside to see why it's so damn close, and it's a police chopper searching the streets nearby with the searchlight. Immediately, about five or six police cars slam their sirens on real close, keep them going for about thirty seconds, then turn them off. The chopper sticks around for about an hour, rattling the plates and cups in the cupboard and making an ungodly noise while it searches for whoever it is that did whatever they did wrong.

I live in a fairly decent neighbourhood now, so it's not especially common around these parts, but certainly not unheard of either. My first thought was, naturally, that somebody committed a regular kind of crime that happens in a regular town, and the police were chasing them. Nothing special, probably just kids in a stolen car drag-racing or ramraiding storefronts. Maybe a schitzophrenic father kidnapped his wife and kids and was trying to run from the cops. Maybe some methed-up addicts tried to rob a liquor store with a screwdriver. Like I said, nothing special, nothing that doesn't happen from time to time in every city of moderate size in every nation in the world. There was no news report on what happened the following few days, and I pretty much forgot all about it.

Then today, I find out what really happened on the news. Apparantly somebody did a drive-by. Now, drive-bys aren't the thing here, as far as I know they've only happened twice before in my city. But whatever, hardly noteworthy, right? Wrong ; he did the driveby with a fucking modified superpowered laser beam, on the cockpit of a low-flying passenger jet, temporarily blinding the pilot and co-pilot. When the police helicopter was called out, the guy started firing at them with his laser and forced them to retreat several times. And then the police and aviation officials come out saying that laser attacks on their planes are an increasing problem, with incidents occuring 4-5 times a night, from all over the city.

So, that brings me to the point of my thread. Is this what we can expect from the youth of tomorrow? Forgoing the quaint, innocent delinquency of their ancestors, and trying to bring down motherfucking jetliners over metropolitan areas? What kind of vicious little narcissistic assholes can we expect in our children's time, or in that of our children's children? Please discuss.

TBD
06-13-2007, 04:00 AM
Iphones are coming out this month.

khaaaaan
06-13-2007, 04:02 AM
Peow! Peow! Lasers are cool.

Offspring-Junkie
06-13-2007, 04:02 AM
You've got strange problems, man. You're already that old? What happens with youth these days.....You sound like like a grandpa. :D

noodlesfan
06-13-2007, 05:30 AM
In about ten years everyone will act like ZagmenO.

wheelchairman
06-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Is this what we can expect from the youth of tomorrow? Forgoing the quaint, innocent delinquency of their ancestors, and trying to bring down motherfucking jetliners over metropolitan areas? What kind of vicious little narcissistic assholes can we expect in our children's time, or in that of our children's children? Please discuss.

Peow! Peow! Lasers are cool.

Well there you have it....

Sin Studly
06-13-2007, 06:47 AM
God have mercy.

T-6005
06-13-2007, 08:32 AM
I read an article about that just yesterday, I think. It didn't mention a superpowered laser in it.

I think it goes beyond the bounds of getting into regular trouble when you start looking for shit that directly interferes with law enforcement. That's just comparable to going into a bear's cave with nothing but a rubber band. It's not a good idea, and it'll probably piss off the bear.

There's just something odd about how, instead of knifing someone you don't like or robbing someone at gunpoint to prove how hardcore you are, people actively look to get themselves canned in the dumbest ways "lol ill shine this lite at the police chopper! nothing cun go rong!"

ZagmenO
06-13-2007, 10:42 AM
In about ten years everyone will act like ZagmenO.

Rock n' Roll!!!

And Sin...laser beams? From a jet??? Weeiirrd stuff. Just when ya thought ya heard everything. How these people got their mitts on those is a mystery, I'll bet. To be honest, I thought laser guns only existed in sci-fi movies. :eek: That's just f'n crazy.

nieh
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Do you have an article? I'm trying to search google for "laserbeam australia" but the only thing I'm finding is an article from 02 saying that they successfully teleported a laser beam in Australia. Googling "laser attacks" gets me to this (http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/Topics/Issues/capa_laser_statement.pdf) which talks about something similar in America in '05.

All About Eve
06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
There's just something odd about how, instead of knifing someone you don't like or robbing someone at gunpoint to prove how hardcore you are, people actively look to get themselves canned in the dumbest ways "lol ill shine this lite at the police chopper! nothing cun go rong!"
It's probably a matter of pride or something, trying to prove how brave or adventurous or whatever you are. It's stupid; basically guys that take Jackass to the next level and in the real world.

Harnum
06-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I heard about this on the news once. It's hard to believe kids are trying to bring down big fucking commercial airliners with lasers. I wonder how big the sentence would be? Oh, and the court session would be funny.

"You are sentenced to 20 years in prison for killing the lives of 250 people with the use of a laser beam..." lolol year 3007!

Sin Studly
06-13-2007, 02:05 PM
nieh, I saw it on the television news, but I'll have a look on google.

There are a few very short news stories. On the television, they showed the laser in action, it was big, green, and powerful as hell, but in the internet articles they make it sound like one of those little laser pointers kids annoy their teachers with. It looked kinda homemade, it was like a little green light bulb set into a cylander of wood wrapped in cloth or something.

A very short newsclip here (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21893434-5001028,00.html) and here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200706/s1949316.htm), both leaving out many things I saw on the news.

noodlesfan
06-13-2007, 02:11 PM
They've got lasers that can aim a dot a few feet wide over a thousand feet

nieh
06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Awesome. I'll check them out once I get back home.

Endymion
06-13-2007, 02:34 PM
They've got lasers that can aim a dot a few feet wide over a thousand feet

that's a pretty lousy laser. it should be no more than maybe 5 times it's aperture size after a thousand feet.

noodlesfan
06-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I was just guessing how big it was, but they have some super-powerful hand held lasers. They've got one that can set a piece of paper on fire.

T-6005
06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Do you have an article? I'm trying to search google for "laserbeam australia" but the only thing I'm finding is an article from 02 saying that they successfully teleported a laser beam in Australia. Googling "laser attacks" gets me to this (http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/Topics/Issues/capa_laser_statement.pdf) which talks about something similar in America in '05.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,21893434-5005940,00.html

That's the one I read. Like I said, it doesn't say anything about superpowered - it's just a very short article.

H1T_That
06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I was just guessing how big it was, but they have some super-powerful hand held lasers. They've got one that can set a piece of paper on fire.

Where have you been that past 15-20 years?

Didn't you see Goldfinger?

MrJoe
06-13-2007, 03:48 PM
We had helicopters with searchlights over our village [where nothing ever happens or has happened] last week. There was several helicopters. Turns out some mental bloke was running loose with a knife. Nothing happened. Thats how boring our place is.

Endymion
06-13-2007, 03:58 PM

you can buy a modified pen laser that will do that on ebay.

nieh
06-13-2007, 04:19 PM
You can modify a DVD-R laser so you can use it to etch plastic and cause blindness.

noodlesfan
06-13-2007, 05:58 PM
I hear that you can do the same thing with an IED. You and I should go into business together.

Sin Studly
06-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Like I said, it doesn't say anything about superpowered - it's just a very short article.

That might be a mistake on my part, I know nothing about lasers. I just figured that 'superpowered' was a suitable adjective for something capable of taking down a jetliner. If it's some kind of class or catagory for lasers, then I apologise for causing any misunderstanding.