PDA

View Full Version : Declining Quality/Popularity Thread.

Jakebert
06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
We've had this discussion in the new album thread a bunch of times, and it's usually somewhat interesting. And in the interest of keeping that thread free of this conversation, I think it might be a good idea to just make a whole thread about it.

Before it gets started, I need to tell people to not act like asses. Just because someone's opinion of the Offspring isn't as high as yours doesn't make them an idiot, and the pointless name calling crap that goes on in most of the threads here when someone questions their quality isn't wanted here. And Venom, since you seem to think you're the most intelligent, bad-ass person in GOD, I want to specifically point out that your usual crap isn't what I'm looking for in the discussion, so unless you want to make an actual point instead of just spewing out a bunch of retarded insults, you're going to be ignored.

Anyway, I have a theory as to why the band has been somewhat lower quality on the last 3 albums. Most punk bands tend to slip in their later years, given that punk rock bands generally don't have a long lifespan compared to other genres. Punk rock is a very limited genre, and even the greats like the Dead Kennedys and the Bad Brains saw their quality going down quite a bit at the end. The limitations of what you can do with punk rock got to them, and I think it's getting to the Offspring as of right now.

Americana, CO1, and Splinter have all 3 seen the band trying to change while retain their edge. In my opinion, none of them have succeeded. The trappings of their earlier style is present, and they can't seem to capture that style with anything other than generitc alternative rock, nu metal, or simple pop rock. And it just seems like the band has become trapped in it's own formula, wanting to break out but not able to. Personally, I think the next album needs to be a departure and an experiment, or the band will probably just keep tredding the same dull waters of the past 3.

Venom Symbiote
06-14-2007, 05:17 PM
And Venom, since you seem to think you're the most intelligent, bad-ass person in GOD, I want to specifically point out that your usual crap isn't what I'm looking for in the discussion, so unless you want to make an actual point instead of just spewing out a bunch of retarded insults, you're going to be ignored.

Gee, thanks chief.

But you bring up some good points: you're right that they've kind of stagnated since Ixnay, and seem to be riding a few fads/trends with their "experimentation", blending their classic sound with other styles.

Although I don't think you can really lump in Americana with Co1/Splinter, it's a very different record. It's not an album I necessarily love (I like Co1 better, for example), but it probably shouldn't be put in the same category as the last two.

GBH2
06-14-2007, 06:44 PM
i personally like americana, co1, and splinter. i don't think they're as good as ixnay, but they're better than smash. i think splinter was definitely a step in the right direction. they got a little darker and more "punk"(<--subject to dispute), and i hope they continue that in the next album. if anything, i really really hope they stay away from anything metal, cause that would suck balls

Jakebert
06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
i personally like americana, co1, and splinter. i don't think they're as good as ixnay, but they're better than smash. i think splinter was definitely a step in the right direction. they got a little darker and more "punk"(<--subject to dispute), and i hope they continue that in the next album. if anything, i really really hope they stay away from anything metal, cause that would suck balls

I think Splinter was a step up from CO1, but there's still a long way to go.

Gee, thanks chief.

But you bring up some good points: you're right that they've kind of stagnated since Ixnay, and seem to be riding a few fads/trends with their "experimentation", blending their classic sound with other styles.

Although I don't think you can really lump in Americana with Co1/Splinter, it's a very different record. It's not an album I necessarily love (I like Co1 better, for example), but it probably shouldn't be put in the same category as the last two.

I think Americana is on the same level as Splinter, just a little better. The stuff on Americana that worked did so very, very well, but the stuff that didn't was just as off as the stuff that was bad about the other 2.

addmister
06-14-2007, 09:06 PM
In my opinion their best album is easily The Offspring. Every album up until Americana blew my mind. I loved the early years when the offspring were truly punk, and not just another fad like blink-182 or AFI or Greenday...the list goes on. The newer albums though, starting from Americana , seemed to turn more pop, and rather than producing the hardcore punk sounds fans had become used to, changed to more teenybopper radio friendly music. That being said, it is fair enough for the band to want to grow musically and experiment, but I really, really hope that they return to their roots with the new album. Once again I fear that the traditionalist fans will be let down though, as any punk rock album that takes more than a year to record is trying to do too much. Once again this is only my opinion. But hey no matter what they do I will still buy the album and give it some solid listening.

Thomas
06-14-2007, 09:46 PM
They definitely aren't as good as they used to be, but hey, not many band are.

Anyhoo, I think one thing that kills The Offspring is the fact that everybody expects and wants hardcore punk music from them, but that's just not what they are. When I first got into them, I didn't consider them a punk band. I just considered them a good band that had a lot of good songs and a certain something that appealed to me. People are always complaining that they aren't punk anymore, which might have pressured them to make music that they just can't do anymore without repeating what has already been done. They are always trying new things and evolving from album to album, but the whole "punk" label is limiting them severely. The way I see it, the just need to flat out say that they aren't a "punk" band anymore and write what they are good at, just plain old alternative rock. Obviously, they don't have to change their music at all, but by making that claim, people would judge them from a different angle and they'll be much more respected than they are right now.

at least that's the way I see it.

Jakebert
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
That's basically what I was saying. You can tell that they want to change and try different things, it's a pretty obvious vibe, especially on Splinter. But they seem afraid to try anything drastic, especially with the initial reaction that "Pay the Man" got from their fanbase.

I agree that they try new things every now and then, but I really haven't seen any huge steps forward. "RAM", for example, may have tried a little something, but it was still so rooted in pop-punk, that the heavy, metallic feeling to it was shoved down to make way for a more generic sound. "Worst Hangover Ever", while an experiment, was nothing completely new for them. Everything just sounds so restrained, like they're not taking it as far as they can.

Splinter especially had the "we want to change" vibe to it, which makes me think that the new album will at have at least a little bit of something new to it, but you really can't tell with them.

HeadAroundU
06-15-2007, 04:18 AM
I agree. I consider 'Americana' as a peak of their career. It's absolutely catchy with a good amount of musical quality. It's a perfectly balanced record. I don't perceive it as a mix of good and bad songs...

'Ixnay' showed the most musical quality so far. The stuff like 'Me & My Old Lady', 'I Choose', 'Gone Away', 'Amazed' or 'Change The World' is fucking great.

CO1 is good, that shit is still platinum. It's kinda balanced but in a different way than Americana. Not many stand-out tracks except 'Million Miles Away' but even that's not as good as 'Me & My Old Lady', musically.

And finally, Splinter. This album is great but it needs 3 or 4 'Me & My Old Ladies'. :D

Thinking about it, AFI's and Incubus' last albums show much less musical quality than their previous records. I don't know what's pushing them that way.

BustedKnuckles
06-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Americana, CO1, and Splinter have all 3 seen the band trying to change while retain their edge. In my opinion, none of them have succeeded. The trappings of their earlier style is present, and they can't seem to capture that style with anything other than generitc alternative rock, nu metal, or simple pop rock. And it just seems like the band has become trapped in it's own formula, wanting to break out but not able to. Personally, I think the next album needs to be a departure and an experiment, or the band will probably just keep tredding the same dull waters of the past 3.

I think you're off base. I don't see Americana/CO1 as "trying to retain their edge and failing," but rather an amalgamation of all the lessons they've learned through the years. Americana was a crowning achievment on the world stage because it related to a large listening audience. For any band to follow up a great record is tough, as is evident with CO1. It feels as if they went slightly heavier with CO1, which could of led to a loss in listeners from the pop infused Americana.

It always confounds me when people want them to "go back to their punk roots." For The Offspring to completly go back to those roots would end their popularity almost entirely as that is not what is really popular on the world stage these days, or so it seems. I can understand them blending more of it into their new album, but not devote themselves wholly to it.

Splinter did sound like they want to try new things, I just hope that they use the lessons they learned from Americana/CO1.

Dexter_italy
06-15-2007, 08:08 AM
The cool thing about americana was that it wasn't a dark album and it was damn good! "ruined" only by its own success. Conspiracy is theyr most experimental album, special delivery, vultures, denial,revisited, living in chaos...are all tracks that really takes 'em far away from theyr root but still cool songs. Splinter took the sound of conspiracy and got darker; and really it was too damn short. I really hope for a different sound, we always said that the last 2 albums are overproduced, they have no feeling....
________
ALASKA DISPENSARIES (http://alaska.dispensaries.org/)

BustedKnuckles
06-15-2007, 08:19 AM
The cool thing about americana was that it wasn't a dark album and it was damn good! "ruined" only by its own success. Conspiracy is theyr most experimental album, special delivery, vultures, denial,revisited, living in chaos...are all tracks that really takes 'em far away from theyr root but still cool songs. Splinter took the sound of conspiracy and got darker; and really it was too damn short. I really hope for a different sound, we always said that the last 2 albums are overproduced, they have no feeling....

How can you have an album "ruined by it's own success"?

Just because the greater part of society enjoys an album instead of a select few of "underground superfans" doesn't mean that it ruins the music.

Lord_Gabo
06-15-2007, 08:29 AM
They definitely aren't as good as they used to be, but hey, not many band are.

Anyhoo, I think one thing that kills The Offspring is the fact that everybody expects and wants hardcore punk music from them, but that's just not what they are. When I first got into them, I didn't consider them a punk band. I just considered them a good band that had a lot of good songs and a certain something that appealed to me. People are always complaining that they aren't punk anymore, which might have pressured them to make music that they just can't do anymore without repeating what has already been done. They are always trying new things and evolving from album to album, but the whole "punk" label is limiting them severely. The way I see it, the just need to flat out say that they aren't a "punk" band anymore and write what they are good at, just plain old alternative rock. Obviously, they don't have to change their music at all, but by making that claim, people would judge them from a different angle and they'll be much more respected than they are right now.

at least that's the way I see it.

respect!!!!

Dexter_italy
06-15-2007, 09:16 AM
How can you have an album "ruined by it's own success"?

Just because the greater part of society enjoys an album instead of a select few of "underground superfans" doesn't mean that it ruins the music.

By ruined I mean that there are a lot of people that don't like that album just because it's famous.... without even listening to if carefully... When you have a big single like PFfawg people start calling you sellout and don't care in anything else you do... That's what I meant
________
HOT BOX VAPORIZER (http://hotboxvaporizers.com)

Jizzy Jeff Punk Man
06-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but what band hasn't sold out? Pretty much every "alt/pop-punk" band of the early 90's did, and a lot of people that listen to old school punk still appreciate it. I disagree with a lot of people who put down Smash, I don't really understand why people do. It's my favorite, and I think a lot of people put it down because it's some what of a "claim-to-fame" for them. I don't think it's their fault, they were still on Epitaph during that album, so I think it's a whole thing of right sound at the right time.

I think their later stuff is much worse, even more so musically. Sure, it was more produced, but that's a major record-label for ya. A lot of people think Americana is their "height" or whatever, but I disagree. They use the same shape chord progression on like every song on that album. Maybe Americana has some of the more recognizable songs, but I think the height of their career as far as sound, music and experimental-ness is Ixnay; and I think that it would have been better received if it hadn't of been something the fans had to get used to being on a major label and what not.

As far as experimental sounds go, I think Ixnay was the height of their experimentality, except for Pay the Man(but that was supposed to be released on Ixnay). I hope the new record doesn't so much go back to their roots like Ignition and S/T but has more of a direction like Ixnay; Even if it's not as "hard-core" as the other stuff! (they pretty much lost their so-called "punk" credibility before Smash anyway.)

RageAndLov
06-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I think because Offspring switched label, they got lesser punk and more pop.
they maintained some of the true punk music in Ixnay, but Ixnay is also pop-inspired. Americana and Co1 was even more poppy. I wouldn't call Splinter that much pop, but it's neither true punk as S/T/Igntion/Smash were. I really like the music Splinter has, and I hope they go further with that sound on to the next album.

Forza
06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Whether it be popmusic or punkmusic doesn't really matter that much. Either of those types are highly enjoyably. Personally I'd like them to continue at the point where they were at when they released Americana. Just this time without songs everybody dislikes.. Without Feelings, PFFAWG and WDYGAJ Americana is an incredibly solid album. If they manage to make another Americana without joke songs and covers, things will be so fine.

jacknife737
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
As a fan I’m somewhat in the section who thinks the first four albums were better then the last three (although I love Americana). Like HeadAroundU I think that Americana is at the peak of the band’s career. It showed musical progression as it didn’t really sound like most of the band’s previous work, and it had widespread mainstream appeal.

CO1, although it’s enjoyable (hey, its an offspring album after all!) is the most forgettable album musically. To me it seemed as if the band was trying to make a carbon copy of Americana, and for the most part it failed.

Splinter is a completely different story. I think Splinter definitely had the most potential of the last couple albums musically, it was just lacking something. It had the band trying to retain the ‘punk’ vibe to it, while expanding on it. Granted the somewhat “experimental” songs failed horribly (ie Race Against Myself and Worst Hangover Ever). Splinter’s main failing is that it would have been a great EP if you had cut out the rubbish, but as an album it is lacking something which is why several people dislike it.

People in this thread have been wanting “change” with the band, but honestly I often hate it when people want experimentation for the sake of experimentation. I’m not against musical progression, far from it I welcome it, its just that at the end of the day I listen to the band for their traditional “offspring” sound.

Lastly, a quick response to Thomas,

The way I see it, the just need to flat out say that they aren't a "punk" band anymore and write what they are good at, just plain old alternative rock.

The problem with this, is that (at least in the way that I see it) is that the band considers themselves to be a “punk” (or at least a “punk” sounding) band and if they were to step in the direction you suggest, it would most likely alienate many of the remaining fans which they have. Not that they can’t expand into other genera’s of music, its just I think the band wants/needs to retain their “punk” edge.

Jakebert
06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I think because Offspring switched label, they got lesser punk and more pop.
they maintained some of the true punk music in Ixnay, but Ixnay is also pop-inspired. Americana and Co1 was even more poppy. I wouldn't call Splinter that much pop, but it's neither true punk as S/T/Igntion/Smash were. I really like the music Splinter has, and I hope they go further with that sound on to the next album.

This is why I hesitated making this thread for so long. I knew that the majority of the people here wouldn't understand what I was saying. It's the exact opposite of the band becoming poppy, it's the band being afraid to fully go for anything that isn't punk rock, and punk rock gets stale because it's so limited.

Oh, and changing labels had nothing to do with it. Smash was a pop punk album. So was Ignition.

Short_Attention_Span
06-15-2007, 05:52 PM
The way I see it, the just need to flat out say that they aren't a "punk" band anymore and write what they are good at, just plain old alternative rock. Obviously, they don't have to change their music at all, but by making that claim, people would judge them from a different angle and they'll be much more respected than they are right now.

I agree with this sentiment. One of my all time favorite Offspring songs is "Million Miles Away," and that is more alternative rock than punk. And they do a good job writing songs from that angle.

However, I don't think it's going to happen. Splinter was too much of a failure for them to try anything that isn't what they think the fans want. Their understanding, I think, is that their fan base wants more short, adrenaline-rush, punk rock. It's kind of a pity, because they have the potential to do more than that.
________
Weed Bubblers (http://bubblers.net/)

Thomas
06-15-2007, 05:57 PM
One thing that I don't understand is why all the teeny boppers don't buy into them like Green Day. Both are in the same genre and both claim to be "punk" (which gets all the little gets nuts because they want to be "rebellious" without having to listen to the simplicity and messiness of hardcore punk). Both have made concept albums that did very well commercially. Both are hated by underground punk fans. The only real difference is the difference in technical ability by all the band members (except for Greg K, but that's okay because of his little swaggering thing on stage), and that doesn't seem to matter in society at all anyway.

I guess my point is that if The Offspring hit juuuust the right nerve (like American Idiot did) they can definitely become just as big, or even bigger than Green Day is today. The real challenge is to do that without making it seem like they are milking from the success of other bands. A rock opera won't work (Green Day, MCR), a double album won't work (Foo Fighters, RHCP, SOAD), so what is left? It's a tricky thing to do, but they can find a way to do something COMPLETELY different from anything in the past 15 or so years (because before that it's basically considered "classic rock" and doesn't count anymore as something completely new). Maybe they could pull a Dark Side of the Moon and have all the tracks connect with each other? Maybe in the next album...

Oh, and sorry for bringing up the Green Day vs. The Offspring issue again. It was just the best example to illustrate my point.

Thomas
06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh, and changing labels had nothing to do with it. Smash was a pop punk album. So was Ignition.

Thank you. I hate it when people get so offended by anything associated with the word "pop." Pop isn't bad. Look at The Beatles, Led Zepellin, Black Sabbath, The RHCP, Rage Against the Machine (haven't you noticed how they have a billion huge hits on each album?), and countless others.

Venom Symbiote
06-15-2007, 07:16 PM
This is why I hesitated making this thread for so long. I knew that the majority of the people here wouldn't understand what I was saying.

*bows down to our mighty overlord*

I'm sorry, we just can't compete with you, Oh Exalted One!

Ninty Man
06-15-2007, 10:21 PM
*bows down to our mighty overlord*

I'm sorry, we just can't compete with you, Oh Exalted One!

I Lol'd Rocko.

Anyway... I really think that CO1 rocks so hard... but the main problem was the singles (hey... they have great ballads, punk rock songs, more rock stuff and an overall of good songs)...

And unfortunately.. Splinter it's mediocre at best. I love The Noose, Lightning Rod, Can't get my head around you, Spare me, Never gonna find me, and I like Long way home and Neocon. But the fucking shit of Race against, worst hangover, Da Hui and when you're in prison make it blow... and it was too short for Offspring last album standards...

But hey... I hope they will release a great album

Jakebert
06-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Splinter really isn't overwhelmingly short, it's just that once you get done skipping over the bad songs, there's not much left. That length is perfect for a simple rock record, if all of the songs are good.

Alleviate
06-16-2007, 04:17 AM
I loved the early years when the offspring were truly punk, and not just another fad like blink-182 or AFI or Greenday.None of those bands are fads, neither are The Offspring. All had been around for years and always had fanbases.

addmister
06-16-2007, 05:06 AM
None of those bands are fads, neither are The Offspring. All had been around for years and always had fanbases.

I guess what I mean to say is that they have a couple of big hits and find it hard to maintain the standard. You develop an expectation of what the new album should sound like. And what do you think about Bob Rock producing the album? After watching Metallica's 'Some kind of monster' I would say that he is one of the industries biggest wankers and played a major role in helping Metallica come out with one of their worst albums. Who else has he worked with? I haven't really done any research on him.

And I love smash! It was the first album I got on tape and only just recently got the CD so I guess it has some sentimental value. When I first heard The Offspring I didn't think much of it but it gets better with age. I can't wait to hear a track from the new album to see where they are heading musically. I think the difference between the older and newer albums could also be the fact that they get better at playing as a band, and their instruments in general. They can start experimenting with new sounds and styles.

Thomas
06-16-2007, 08:07 AM
First of all, it was Lars and that other douchebag that ruined Metallica (even worse than hey already were). Bob Rock tried convincing them to not move in that direction, but they wanted to do this and Bob Rock couldn't stop it. If anything, he tried to save Metallica.

I am very excited about Bob Rock producing The Offspring's upcoming album. I think he can do a lot for them.

-=xanathos=-
06-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I think the offspring has changed quite alot over it's career. Like every band, they'll never stick to one certain style. Look at earlier work by bad religion or millencolin, or whoever, it's all quite al lot diffrent then the stuff their producing now.

I think in the beginning of their career they had a completely diffrent view on life and everything in it, that made S/t, ignition and smash sound more...sincere or something, at least, in a diffrent way. The albums have been getting more poppy and chart-friendly over the years, and i'm definately not saying that's bad, but it's just not the same anymore for the guys. With the level of maturity they've developed since the beginning of their career, they must have a diffrent look on recording albums now. Your first album, your first succes is completely diffrent then when you've recorded a whole bunch of albums. You've got other stuff to say, other energy to put out.

Right now it's less their passion to grow big or to get a message through, cause they allready achieved that. Right now they're doing it for the fun of it, and to give their fans what they want, while at the same time handling the same standards required by the critics. Cause, Like it or not, when something new is tried by this band (hit that, pretty fly, spare me the details) it's mostly not accepted by the hardcore fan base, cause it's "not true to their roots". I say; give them a break, let them experiment and don't push them back in that booth they have been in for years. Maybe they don't even want to make regular punk music anymore, but they have to, to keep the fans satisfied, who gave them everything they have.

On a last note: I guess the pressure of the quality of the albums is even bigger cause of the time they spend making an album. Gotta wonder; does it take a long time to make a new album? Are they getting old? Or do they just don't want to make them as bad anymore...

DeAtHsTaR
06-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I loved the early years when the offspring were truly punk, and not just another fad like blink-182 or AFI or Greenday
FUCKING IDIOT. Green Day has been immensely popular for 13 years.

Blink? They were pretty big 10 years ago and still are, which means it's not a fad.

r0Lo
06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
the fact that they're different doesn't mean they aren't as good as Smash for example.

I think you should see how good they are in their own way, like, Splinter for example..
A lots of people said it was crap or i wasn't any better than Co1, for my , is very better, but you can't compare them becouse Splinter is a very loud-kickass-heavy album, nothing like Co1.

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I guess the pressure of the quality of the albums is even bigger cause of the time they spend making an album. Gotta wonder; does it take a long time to make a new album? Are they getting old? Or do they just don't want to make them as bad anymore...

It really can take that long to make a new album.

rlplaymaker
06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
We've had this discussion in the new album thread a bunch of times, and it's usually somewhat interesting. And in the interest of keeping that thread free of this conversation, I think it might be a good idea to just make a whole thread about it.

Before it gets started, I need to tell people to not act like asses. Just because someone's opinion of the Offspring isn't as high as yours doesn't make them an idiot, and the pointless name calling crap that goes on in most of the threads here when someone questions their quality isn't wanted here. And Venom, since you seem to think you're the most intelligent, bad-ass person in GOD, I want to specifically point out that your usual crap isn't what I'm looking for in the discussion, so unless you want to make an actual point instead of just spewing out a bunch of retarded insults, you're going to be ignored.

Anyway, I have a theory as to why the band has been somewhat lower quality on the last 3 albums. Most punk bands tend to slip in their later years, given that punk rock bands generally don't have a long lifespan compared to other genres. Punk rock is a very limited genre, and even the greats like the Dead Kennedys and the Bad Brains saw their quality going down quite a bit at the end. The limitations of what you can do with punk rock got to them, and I think it's getting to the Offspring as of right now.

well....i would like to point out one huge falsity.....the offspring aren't a punk band anymore. havn't been since......okay, i'll say it.....IGNITION!!!!! Smash was an alternative/grunge album, ixnay was pure alternative, americana and co1 was pop punk( trying to sell more albums, believe it or not, children, this is a business), and splinter was a beautiful mix of metal infused punk.

truth is, this "decline " that you speak of is called PROGRESSION. they're trying to find themselves musically. and because the narrowminded punks think that they've gone away from punk, which is true. but i think its amazing........i'll listen to the dead kennedy's, and then pop in some metallica, and then some fallout boy after that, and top it off with sublime.

What I'm trying to say is expand your horizons, douchebag. By the way, americana, splinter, co1....some of their best shit

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2007, 10:10 PM
No need for namecalling, just about everything in this thread has been said with love and from a place of respect. People aren't going to agree with what's being said, but those involved are being respectful, so shape up.

Venom Symbiote
06-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Or she'll crush you with the ancient art of crushinetics.

rlplaymaker
06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
No need for namecalling, just about everything in this thread has been said with love and from a place of respect. People aren't going to agree with what's being said, but those involved are being respectful, so shape up.

you are right.....sorry

Wolfbutter
06-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I know a lot of people who know The Offspring, they are not as unpopular as you think.

I see no downfall in quality.

MasoN
06-19-2007, 12:40 PM
By ruined I mean that there are a lot of people that don't like that album just because it's famous.... without even listening to if carefully... When you have a big single like PFfawg people start calling you sellout and don't care in anything else you do... That's what I meant

In my oppinion by ruined is ment not that it had some poppy songs and therefore true fans didnt enjoy it as much. Its still a decent record with much to offer for true Offspring fans. But, because it was that successful in general, Dexter and the crew tried to repeat themselves with Co1 and even Splinter. Which means they tried to have a joke songs like Pretty fly and WDGAJ were. If it wasnt that big who knows what would Co1 and splinter sounded like. Thats how I understand the word ruined in terms of their music and sound experiments.

BustedKnuckles
06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
In my oppinion by ruined is ment not that it had some poppy songs and therefore true fans didnt enjoy it as much. Its still a decent record with much to offer for true Offspring fans. But, because it was that successful in general, Dexter and the crew tried to repeat themselves with Co1 and even Splinter. Which means they tried to have a joke songs like Pretty fly and WDGAJ were. If it wasnt that big who knows what would Co1 and splinter sounded like. Thats how I understand the word ruined in terms of their music and sound experiments.

WTF is a "true fan." If you are a fan of the band and their music you are a fan. This tru punxz shit is frickin pointless. I'm an Offspring fan and I don't really like S/T. Does that make me not a true fan?

Just stop with the "true fan" crap. If some people get their panties in a bunch because the band wants to be successful and have blended different generas of music together then that's their problem.

I also don't see why some call Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ "joke songs." They aren't so much of a joke as a statement of some of societies problems. Just because you view them as a joke doesn't mean that it actually isn't a problem.

Thomas
06-19-2007, 01:02 PM
well....i would like to point out one huge falsity.....the offspring aren't a punk band anymore. havn't been since......okay, i'll say it.....IGNITION!!!!! Smash was an alternative/grunge album, ixnay was pure alternative, americana and co1 was pop punk( trying to sell more albums, believe it or not, children, this is a business), and splinter was a beautiful mix of metal infused punk.

truth is, this "decline " that you speak of is called PROGRESSION. they're trying to find themselves musically. and because the narrowminded punks think that they've gone away from punk, which is true. but i think its amazing........i'll listen to the dead kennedy's, and then pop in some metallica, and then some fallout boy after that, and top it off with sublime.

What I'm trying to say is expand your horizons, douchebag. By the way, americana, splinter, co1....some of their best shit

You are now my favorite person for thinking that "falsity" is a word.

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
I just want to take a moment to thank those of you who are committed to having this be a civilized discussion and remind those of you not quite there to please fall in line.

You are now my favorite person for thinking that "falsity" is a word.

Whatever, if the Magnetic Fields use it, it's totally a word :)

Thomas
06-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm totally using that word from now on.

addmister
06-20-2007, 06:35 AM
I guess in the end it doesn't matter what they do, some one will be left feeling that the band has 'duped' them or changed. If they return to their punk roots people like me will be happy, but from what I am seeing here not many others will. I think it would be cool if they went for a totally new style with the new album. I wouldn't mind hearing a more metal or darker side to the offspring. I don't think that the direction they are heading with splinter was their best move so why not go all out and try something a little radical? There are some other bands that I've been listening to and and it has been an awesome progression from hardcore punk to a slightly more metal sound. Strung out for example.

And would the cunt who keeps trying to log into my account fuck off please? Shit.

Little_Miss_1565
06-20-2007, 12:21 PM
And would the cunt who keeps trying to log into my account fuck off please? Shit.

Note: This is happening to many people whose names begin with A. Make sure your PW is a good one, y'all, someone is working their way through the user list. Send me any messages you receive regarding this.

Mart2Play
06-20-2007, 06:58 PM
I love all the Offspring albums and think they are all great, Smash the most...Splinter the least due to the more metal sound and half boring lyrics....i personally don`t agree that they are a band on decline. I hope they go more punk on the next album, but no matter what i`ll still play it to death. Hey my first post, yeah bb!

Ninty Man
06-21-2007, 02:37 PM
I love all the Offspring albums and think they are all great, Smash the most...Splinter the least due to the more metal sound and half boring lyrics....i personally don`t agree that they are a band on decline. I hope they go more punk on the next album, but no matter what i`ll still play it to death. Hey my first post, yeah bb!

Smash is overrated, and Splinter it's mediocre... Nuff said:mad:

German Andres
06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I respect everybody`s opinion, but honestly I think that Splinter is, by far, their best album along with the self titled. Followed closely by Ignition.
It`s true that Splinter has some strange songs (strange, not bad) like The Worst Hangover Ever and When you are In Prision. But I think that all the other songs are a lot better than the ones in Americana and CO1. These 2 albums are extremely commercial, very poppy in relation with the previous ones.
But it seems that, despite the different opinions, we all agree that Ixnay is an exceptional record.

Ninty Man
06-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I respect everybody`s opinion, but honestly I think that Splinter is, by far, their best album along with the self titled. Followed closely by Ignition.
It`s true that Splinter has some strange songs (strange, not bad) like The Worst Hangover Ever and When you are In Prision. But I think that all the other songs are a lot better than the ones in Americana and CO1. These 2 albums are extremely commercial, very poppy in relation with the previous ones.
But it seems that, despite the different opinions, we all agree that Ixnay is an exceptional record.

OH SHIT... now you will tell me that Splinter is underground??? Come on dude, you gotta be fucking kidding.

German Andres
06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
OH SHIT... now you will tell me that Splinter is underground??? Come on dude, you gotta be fucking kidding.

Jaja no I`m not kidding. For some reason I love the album, and it was my first Offspring album.

Ninty Man
06-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Jaja no I`m not kidding. For some reason I love the album, and it was my first Offspring album.

Bleh, splinter sux

Little_Miss_1565
06-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Point of order: Liking Splinter has nothing to do with whether or not it was underground (btw--it wasn't underground).

Mart2Play
06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Smash is overrated, and Splinter it's mediocre... Nuff said:mad:

Smash overrated? Overated compared to what? Name one other punk album, released in the same time period, that was/is better then Smash....i might even go and give it a listen then)) Anyways Smash is the highest selling album released on a indie label of all time for a reason.

I`m not fimiliar with the term "Underground" the way you are using it, what do you guys mean?

ChickenChaser
06-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Straight from Urban Dictionary:

1) A genre in music and other forms of media intended for an elite audience, that is often characterized by its high levels of originality and experimentation, and does not conform to typical standards, trends, or hypes as set by the popular mainstream media.

2) Art, opinion or organization that exists outside of mainstream society or culture. Also known as "independent" or sometimes "counter-culture".

BTW I think Splinter was an amazing album too, most people's problem with it is that it is too short or it had 'joke' songs on it like Hangover or Prison. They just conveniently forget that it also has some of the best songs they've ever done on it (I've said that before and I'll say it again).

Llamas
06-23-2007, 04:46 AM
I really disagree with that definition. I consider underground to be music that's not in the mainstream. Not all bands in the underground want to be underground, also.

Omni
06-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Smash overrated? Overated compared to what? Name one other punk album, released in the same time period, that was/is better then Smash....i might even go and give it a listen then)) Anyways Smash is the highest selling album released on a indie label of all time for a reason.

I`m not fimiliar with the term "Underground" the way you are using it, what do you guys mean?

"Better" is purely opinion, so no one can provide a real answer to that without sounding like a biased idiot. But Dookie was released around the same time, and it's Diamond certified, which means more people bought Dookie than Smash, which went I think 5-8x Platinum. Diamond certification is 10,000,000 copies in the united states alone (10x platinum I think). Smash is the highest selling album on an independent label, Dookie is the highest selling punk album Period.

And as for Splinter's underground status, it's been Gold certified, it's sold in most places that carry music (with the exception of Wal-Mart, possibly Target), and it's produced two highly charting singles. So, no, it's not underground at all.

Ninty Man
06-23-2007, 09:47 PM

Smash... it's even a punk album??? Fuck, it has the grungy self esteem, the ska what happened to you, and the weird fucking good come out and play...

I'm not saying that is a bad album... but it's NOT THAT good you know... to make my point listen ignition and ixnay on the hombre... and americana, and conspiracy... they are better that smash... at least in my opinion

nameless
06-24-2007, 04:20 PM
their problem seems to be all the songs come from the same source, whereas you hear about bands like pennywise who apparently have around 30 songs then narrow them down for the album and who argue as to whose songs get used, the offsprings songs all come from dexter and the other members all seem ok with this. everyone talks about how they hate the joke songs on the last few albums and maybe its just come down to them running out of ideas!

H1T_That
06-24-2007, 04:24 PM
their problem seems to be all the songs come from the same source, whereas you hear about bands like pennywise who apparently have around 30 songs then narrow them down for the album and who argue as to whose songs get used, the offsprings songs all come from dexter and the other members all seem ok with this. everyone talks about how they hate the joke songs on the last few albums and maybe its just come down to them running out of ideas!

I totally disagree. Bands like Pennywise seem to be running out of ideas more. I mean come one, most of thier songs sound the same, and msotly all follow the same structure and subject of lyrics.

Now show me where The Offspring have repeated themselves musically. And don't use the excuse for joke songs being because they have run out of ideas.