PDA

View Full Version : Favorite night time albums.

Jakebert
06-15-2007, 11:24 PM
For the past 4-5 years, I've been on a quest to find some of the best albums to listen to at night. So this is why I turn to you, oh great BBSers, to share some of your favorites with me.

Here are some of mine:
R.E.M.- Automatic For the People
Mazzy Star- Among My Swan
Cat Power- Moon Pix
Sufjan Stevens- Seven Swans
Pink Floyd- Meddle
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
Air- Moon Safari
Joshua Radin- We Were Here
Elliot Smith- Either/Or
Zombi- Cosmos
R.E.M.- UP
A Perfect Circle- Mer De Noms
Red House Painters- Red House Painters (Rollercoaster)

coke_a_holic
06-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
The Postal Service - Give Up
Bomb The Music Industry! - To Leave Or Die In Long Island

It all depends on my mood. If I'm angsty, I'll go for BTMI or Postal Service, but I want to chill out, I'll put on Sufjan or Miles. Either way, one of those cds is gonna play.

Little_Miss_1565
06-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Morphine, The Night

XYlophonetreeZ
06-16-2007, 02:22 AM
At night I often listen to electronic and post-rockish stuff like Telefon Tel Aviv or The Mercury Program.

All About Eve
06-16-2007, 03:03 AM
I have to go with "Futures" by Jimmy Eat World.

mrconeman
06-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Pink Floyd- Meddle
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
Joshua Radin- We Were Here

These would have easily been on a list of mine, nice choices. Echoes is absolute win during a tired dark night, and Great Gig in The Sky is awesome to just close your eyes to.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

You are correct, sir.

I'll do a bit of my own list just as soon as I'm actually awake, I'm just out of bed.

H1T_That
06-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Sigur Ros's Album. I've forgotten what its called.

Iamstupid
06-16-2007, 06:51 AM
The Sex Pistols - Kiss This

All About Eve
06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Matt Nathanson - Beneath These Fireworks

Is my night.
Yes.

And also, "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits.

wheelchairman
06-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins is the perfect album for taking walks at night.

nieh
06-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Didn't you already make a post about this like a month ago? I swear I remember reading almost the same thing word for word already and I can't find it.

These are a bit different than the albums you posted already so I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for but they're great to drive around to alone at night. They mix post-rock/ambient/metal into an awesome, epic soundscape...thing,
Isis - Panopticon
Red Sparrowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun

They both have kind of a similar sound caused partially by having some of the same band members, but Isis has a meathead on vocals while Red Sparrowes are all instrumental and tend to be a bit less metally. I have others I'm sure, I just can't think of any right now.

Apathy
06-16-2007, 09:04 AM
I third Illinoise.

and I add Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me.

Llamas
06-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Nights always bring different moods for me, so I don't have any night albums... I can feel the same one night that I felt in the morning a few days before. But when I think of a typical night feel, or what you're probably referring to, I think of these albums.

Aaron Copeland - Appalachian Spring

Chick Corea - Light as a Feather

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Beethoven's Last Night

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Mellon Collie... - Smashing Pumpkins

Every song sounds so much better at night on this CD. Actually, pretty much any Smashing Pumpkins song sounds unbelievable at night.

ZagmenO
06-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Anything Linkin' Park! Except Reanimation! That's all a bunch of crappy remixes of stuff off of Hybrid Theory.

Jakebert
06-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Didn't you already make a post about this like a month ago? I swear I remember reading almost the same thing word for word already and I can't find it.

I made a thread about ambient music, but this is different, because it's not limited to just ambient stuff. I want any genre or style that anyone can think of, whether it be really moody stuff, or really simple easy pop stuff.

Steve-O
06-16-2007, 02:51 PM
hmmmm...favourite night time album has to be The wall- pink floyd because it is mellow and it always helps me sleep.

Huge Offspring Fan
06-16-2007, 03:12 PM
The Offspring - The Offspring
The Offspring - Ignition
The Offspring - Smash
The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre
The Offspring - Americana
The Offspring - Conspiracy of One
The Offspring - Splinter

F@ BANKZ
06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
The Offspring - Greatest Hits:P

ZagmenO
06-16-2007, 03:36 PM
The Offspring-Club Me!

Forza
06-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm listening to Radiohead now so I guess that's my night time band now.. The Bends is awesomeness.

H1T_That
06-17-2007, 05:18 AM
I was thinking of checking Radiohead out. Whats their best album?

H1T_That
06-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks.

WebDudette
06-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Afi - Sing the Sorrow
Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel/Violator/Any other DM album.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way, I used to play that a lot at night.
Ladytron - Witching Hour
Heavens - Patent Pending

This are the ones I can think of at the moment. These aren't really albums I like to listen to at night but more so when I go to sleep. I'll make another list later.

offspring dude
06-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Someone should have mentioned Jose Gonzales-Veneer by now.

This album gives you such a great feel when you're just there at home tired with nothing really fun to do. Relaxing to the max.

H1T_That
06-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Someone should have mentioned Jose Gonzales-Veneer by now.

This album gives you such a great feel when you're just there at home tired with nothing really fun to do. Relaxing to the max.

I agree, Gonzales is pretty damn relaxing.

Yatesy
06-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Ladytron - Witching Hour

That's definitely night time listening, also:

-Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
-Placebo - Sleeping With Ghosts
-Placebo - Meds
-Silverchair - Diorama
-Silverchair - Neon Ballroom

There's more but I'll list them later.

wheelchairman
06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Afi - Sing the Sorrow

Yes, particularly hot summer nights.

Tired_Of_You
06-17-2007, 02:31 PM
- Bjork - Vespertine possibly for winter nights
- Stars- Nightsongs for summer nights
- The Album Leaf - In a safe Place Definitely a good album for this category. It's their only album I own, so maybe others are better.
- Maybe some calm classical stuff, but I can't think of anything paricular.

Lars
06-17-2007, 02:32 PM
These are a bit different than the albums you posted already so I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for but they're great to drive around to alone at night. They mix post-rock/ambient/metal into an awesome, epic soundscape...thing,
Isis - Panopticon
Red Sparrowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
I'm soo burning a copy of Red Sparowes for my car now, I can't believe I didn't think of it before.

-Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
I need to check this album out properly, I downloaded some poor mp3's before it's release and it didn't spark much, but remember the new songs being pretty good when they played them on the short DVD tour they did.

Diving I haven't taken out Dredg's Live at the Fillmore since I put it in my car, it just goes with night time driving for me.

I get the train to gigs in London and have to walk home at night after always, some albums I've spammed on those walks are:
Opeth - Still Life
65daysofstatic - One Time for All Time
Secondsmile - Walk Into The Light And Reach For The Sky
Spiritual - Pulse
Jesu - Silver

Jakebert
06-18-2007, 12:11 PM
So far out of the albums listed in the thread, I checked out Morphine- The Night, and the Postal Service album. I liked the 2 Postal Service songs I've downloaded so far. But the Morphine album is just plain awesome. I was going to download 2 songs off of each album reccommended, then go from there based on what I like, but I ended up downloading all of The Night because I was so impressed. Good work.

Yatesy
06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I need to check this album out properly, I downloaded some poor mp3's before it's release and it didn't spark much, but remember the new songs being pretty good when they played them on the short DVD tour they did.

I can upload it?Album of the year imo.

All About Eve
06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I can upload it?Album of the year imo.
If you do, send me a link as well if you don't mind.

65daysofstatic - One Time for All Time

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
I love these! I should have added them, but forgot :(