PDA

View Full Version : Tell me please

Rocky-girl
06-21-2007, 12:21 PM
what's your traditions? I think everyone here knows about Russian Maslenitsa or celebrating New Year. But there are a lot of little traditions like: when my friends come to my place I always ask them to take off thier shoes and give them slippers.

aztecsun1
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Hey! In the great state of Texas , we always ask visitors if we can get them some iced-tea, or something to eat, it really matters most who it is , relatives and good friends get offered meals from the jump, while more casual visitors, like salesmen, cable installers etc. get tea, just depends :cool:

killer_queen
06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
what's your traditions? I think everyone here knows about Russian Maslenitsa or celebrating New Year. But there are a lot of little traditions like: when my friends come to my place I always ask them to take off thier shoes and give them slippers.

We do that too. But it's not a tradition, I guess. It's just because our streets are fucking dirty. You can count at least a thousand spits on the ground on a walk which lasts ten minutes.

We have holidays but they are a little different than other Muslims have. Instead spending the day with praying and that kind of stuff we visit our relatives. Which is far more boring than praying.

Guests? People used to offer candies and cologne (yeah, I know, wtf) to the guests but these kind of things got old. In, I don't know, 20 years we won't have any of them probably. People are watching American movies and tv shows and try to act like those people. It could be worse, though. You know, if they could watch Bollywood stuff like Sanni. I don't think I can deal with people who sing and dance 24 hours a day. No thanks, I love my american wannabes.

Sin Studly
06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
We drink Fosters lager and go to the kangaroo boxing after every shank-war.

SkunkIt
06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
These aren't really traditions, but we usally put out food on the table and give people meals if it's around a meal time, we let people decide whether to keep their shoes off or on and if people are sleeping over, we give them a bed and a room if we can.

Mart2Play
06-21-2007, 06:34 PM
what's your traditions? I think everyone here knows about Russian Maslenitsa or celebrating New Year.

Well, i don`t......and i like Russia so please tell what you do.))

I am decendant from Dutch settlers in South Africa and speak Afrikaans.....so that makes me a white african.)) The european comunity here in SA have a "make yourself at home" approach towards guests, meaning they do whatever makes them feel comfortable (as long as they are not disrespectful)....on arrival we always shake hands and later offer whatever drinks are available. If the guests stay for a long period we offer them food or a bed in the guest room if they are staying over night.
Its popular for friends and family to get together for a Braai(barbique), everyone usually brings their own meat and drinks....and we play music and drink beer all day in the sun by the swimming pool.
When it comes to weddings its common practice for the groom to pay for the wedding ring....his family pays for the beverages at the wedding. The brides family pays for the expences of the wedding ceremony. The newly weds pay for their own honeymoon.
Chistmas time we just have a big family meal and open all the prezies....and go to church.
New years we make a massive fire, watch the fireworks and get happy with alchahol))
Thats all i can think of right now...and btw my spel check does not work.

wheelchairman
06-21-2007, 07:07 PM
On Saturday we celebrate the Evening of Saint John the Baptist (Sankt Hans Aften, in Danish). Originally this holiday was meant to celebrate the summer solstice. The early Danes lit bonfires so that the evil forces of nature would be scared away, it's also thought that they propped up scarecrows of witches to prevent any witches of even thinking of cursing next fall's crop. (stupid barbarian farmers.)

I usually offer guests whatever I have, and if I know in advance that they are coming I try and have something prepared. But that's not really tradition but more a sense of how a good host should act, that my family has always fostered.

Otherwise I'm a white westerner, everyone acts like us.

Tired_Of_You
06-21-2007, 07:19 PM
On Saturday and Sunday, it's Saint-Jean Baptiste as well for Quebecers. Nowadays, this day is almost only meant to celebrate how fast a Quebecer can ingurgitate une caisse de 12 beers (or more). The Quebecers lit bonfires or fireworks while drinking their beers.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that it's our fête nationale. National holiday in English, perhaps. Anyway, for accurate info, you should probably google it.

Sin Studly
06-21-2007, 07:39 PM

I am decendant from Dutch settlers in South Africa and speak Afrikaans.....so that makes me a white african.)) The european comunity here in SA have a "make yourself at home" approach towards guests, meaning they do whatever makes them feel comfortable (as long as they are not disrespectful)....on arrival we always shake hands and later offer whatever drinks are available. If the guests stay for a long period we offer them food or a bed in the guest room if they are staying over night.
Its popular for friends and family to get together for a Braai(barbique), everyone usually brings their own meat and drinks....and we play music and drink beer all day in the sun by the swimming pool.
When it comes to weddings its common practice for the groom to pay for the wedding ring....his family pays for the beverages at the wedding. The brides family pays for the expences of the wedding ceremony. The newly weds pay for their own honeymoon.
Chistmas time we just have a big family meal and open all the prezies....and go to church.
New years we make a massive fire, watch the fireworks and get happy with alchahol))

lol ur president is a kaffir lol

adombomb222
06-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Well a tradition I have between my friends and I is that when they come from Kansas we all watch Eight Crazy Nights. Also when spring begins (and it is not snowing) some of use go and do a mud run down one of the hills around town. During Christmas my family gets together and has a party, we do a gift exchange and we have a friend play Santa for the younger children. In our family, when you become a big number in life, 50, 60, 80 or 90(That’s as far as we have gotten so far) we through a huge party. There are a lot of traditions our extended family have in Ireland, like we are always treated with meals, always asked to come to their house for breakfast, we sing a lot, and hang out in the pubs late at night… walk the streets back to the houses, and play rugby.

HornyPope
06-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Don't listen to Sin. Welcome to the message board, white friend.

Sin Studly
06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
He might look white, but a white kaffirboetie who elected a kaffir is no better than a kaffir himself.

Mart2Play
06-22-2007, 01:25 AM
lol ur president is a kaffir lol

Please..........don`t rub it in!lol

WTF?I don`t vote....whats the point when your outnumbered 10/1?

Please........let us not spam this girls thread with this bullshit.

Sin Studly
06-22-2007, 01:30 AM
Like the British spammed the Transvaal with rooineks? And now you live there!!! lol, way to disgrace your ancestors!

Mart2Play
06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Like the British spammed the Transvaal with rooineks? And now you live there!!! lol, way to disgrace your ancestors!

Yes, i am living off their land now(Britain), taking their money and sleeping with their women. See the smile on my face>>>:D

@hornyPope: oh and thanks for the welcome.

Sin Studly
06-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Man, life in South Africa must be really bad if you're able to smile at the thought of sleeping with British chicks. Ugh, I'm sorry for being mean, I just had no idea how bad things truly were.

KyleW
06-22-2007, 04:59 AM
I dont really have any traditions as such but we do always give my friends pizza if they come down. oh and my parents respect my privacy, thats cool too.

the_GoDdEsS
06-22-2007, 07:12 AM

We do that too, except you don't have to ask anybody to do that (unless they're a foreigner) because it's just an automatic polite thing.

We also have Maslenitsa :) Even though it's not so commonly done any more. Mainly by folk groups or in very traditional villages/town festivals.

Llamas
06-22-2007, 07:13 AM
People do that in Austria, too. Actually, if you don't take off your shoes, it's rude.

HornyPope
06-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Yes, i am living off their land now, taking their money and sleeping with their women. See the smile on my face>>>:D

Don't they all have AIDS though?

HeadAroundU
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
AIDS is nothing but made-up attention seeking faggotry.

Rocky-girl
06-23-2007, 12:35 PM
We celebrate Maslenitsa for a whole week in March! We usually bake pancakes make big fires. There is a special tradition for every day! Now it became very popular to celebrate it. They do a little amusements parks in Moscow for a week!
About shoes: I was told that some nations think that it's wild to ask guests to take off their shoes! I'll think a little and maybe I'll find another tradition. It's very hard to find out something that can seem strange, that you do even every day!

Llamas
06-23-2007, 12:49 PM
To be honest, you'll probably find a lot of overlap from the countries represented by the frequent posters here. If there were some people from say South America or Africa, for example, you might find more "traditions" that were more unique...

I can think of things that are somewhat specific to where I'm from, but they're definitely not traditions. Like Sven and Ole jokes.

the_GoDdEsS
06-23-2007, 12:53 PM
We celebrate Maslenitsa for a whole week in March! We usually bake pancakes make big fires. There is a special tradition for every day! Now it became very popular to celebrate it. They do a little amusements parks in Moscow for a week!
About shoes: I was told that some nations think that it's wild to ask guests to take off their shoes! I'll think a little and maybe I'll find another tradition. It's very hard to find out something that can seem strange, that you do even every day!

A whole week? Wow. We mainly used to burn the Morena made out of straw during Maslenitsa. It was before Easter. But great fires are still made on the 30th of April and then on the 24th of June to welcome the summer.

Mart2Play
06-23-2007, 01:51 PM

I think its because some nations are shy they have smelly feat))

Yes, its is hard of thinking of traditions. I can only think of cultural differences in food, clothing, music....you know, the usual.

I know that in England they have the baby shower after the baby is born....and in my country(and in the USA) the baby shower is before. Do they have baby showers in Russia/eastern Europe?

In my own family its tradition to place flowers around a members plate on the dining table if they are celebrating their birthday))

Betty
06-23-2007, 02:53 PM
People take off their shoes here whenever they enter somebody's house... are there places where people DON'T do that? However, it would be incredible if people gave me slippers whenever I visited, sometimes I'm tempted to bring my own around with me.

Llamas
06-23-2007, 02:56 PM
People take off their shoes here whenever they enter somebody's house... are there places where people DON'T do that? However, it would be incredible if people gave me slippers whenever I visited, sometimes I'm tempted to bring my own around with me.

I think student housing near campuses, haha. Everywhere I lived in college, my friends never did that cause the housing is so crappy that the floors are never clean enough to go without shoes. :P

wheelchairman
06-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Phil has a special pair of slippers over here reserved only for him. awww

Mart2Play
06-24-2007, 02:49 PM
People take off their shoes here whenever they enter somebody's house... are there places where people DON'T do that?

We don`t in South Africa...(ofcourse if the shoes are dirty we do) I have never been asked to do so in the UK either....its good to know this for future travels))

Tizzalicious
06-24-2007, 02:56 PM
We don't in Holland either.

calichix
06-24-2007, 10:53 PM
on christmas my family dumps whiskey all over a cake and lights it on fire.

and on mother's day we always get tons of cheap champagne and make morning mimosas.

Sin Studly
06-24-2007, 11:46 PM
We don't in Holland either.

Tell us about nigger Pete.

zacsta
06-25-2007, 05:06 AM
does having fish n' chips every saturday night count?

khaaaaan
06-25-2007, 05:12 AM
Phil has a special pair of slippers over here reserved only for him. awww

I love my special pair of Per's-old-pair-of-slippers.

Tizzalicious
06-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Tell us about nigger Pete.

Ah yes, Dutch traditions.

We have a holiday on December 5th called "Sinterklaas", we celebrate this guy's (Sinterklaas, or actually his full name "Sint Nicolaas...indeed, that's your Santa) birthday.

He brings presents to the children that have been good, and the ones that have been bad get spanked by his helpers: "Zwarte Piet" (Black Pete).

At night children place their shoe in front of the fireplace, with some food for Sinterklaas' horse, usually a corrot or something. Sinterklaas rides around on the roofs, and Zwarte Piet goes down the chimeys to put the presents in the shoes. That's why he's black. (Or not?).

Picture:

http://www.sintopbezoek.com/Sinterklaas%2016-10-06%20Sterckxhof%20081.jpg

HeadAroundU
06-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Muahahah!

Ours called 'Mikuláš' but he doesn't have 2 nigga helpers. I'll write him a letter this year and recommend him Ricky and 50 cent. :D

*Ja Rule singing around*

*I got a hundred guns, a hundred clips, Nigga I'm from New York (New York)*
*I got a semi-automatic that spits next time if you talk (you talk)*

wheelchairman
06-25-2007, 06:35 AM
On Christmas and Easter mornings my dad likes to make screwdrivers (the drink obviously). I love my Dad.

Sin Studly
06-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Dutch ppl are assholes. An opinionated African-American woman who came to your nation found your culture and traditions to be offensive and you refused to immediately change to suit her, wtf? Assholes!!!!!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_n8_v28/ai_20039487

Read the article ; not only is nigger pete offensive to her, it's so dangerous she's only managing to survive his malign presence.

HeadAroundU
06-25-2007, 09:41 AM
The Moorish-descended Zwarte Piet, lololol.

F@ BANKZ
06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
On new years eve it's traditional for the family to set off fireworks on a public roundabout somewhere in town, the police caught us on millenium night though so the fireworks are never as big nowadays.

Oh, and on boxing day it's traditional for us to have jam toasties.