PDA

View Full Version : Oversight Committee on the Vice President and Classified Information

nieh
06-22-2007, 06:36 AM
After going along with inspections/reviews on their classification/declassfication activities in 2001-2002, Cheney has refused to allow the inspections to continue in his office every year since then. He is claiming that the Office of the Vice President is "not an entity within the executive branch" and thus, the executive order to allow these inspections does not apply to his office. This has been going on since 2003 and they're just now getting to the point of writing him a stern letter. It bothers me sometimes how bureaucratic some things are.
http://www.speaker.gov/blog/?p=507

sKratch
06-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I swear Cheney is the lovechild of a snake and Igor. He creeps the shit out of me. Although I'm appalled by this, I'm not that surprised. He's a motherfucker.

nieh
06-22-2007, 05:15 PM
It doesn't surprise me that he's pulling this, but it kind of surprises me that it's been going on this long and they haven't done anything more than write him a few letters. What do you think he's trying to hide? Or do you think he's just trying to flex his muscles?

T-6005
06-22-2007, 08:28 PM
I was pretty surprised when I heard him going on about the VP's office not being part of the executive branch. My knowledge of the current state of government in America being rather shady, I'm just falling back on what I learned about the entire process of American government, and it just seems like a very confusing statement.

I'd just like to have someone help me clear this up - the vice president sits in on the Senate, yes? For all that, he's not part of the Legislative branch, is he? It would seem to defeat the entire point of a checks and balances system.

Any short answer will do - classes dealing with politics were never a major point of interest with me.

nieh
06-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Every time we've ever covered the branches of the government in school, the Vice President was considered part of the executive branch. I'm searching online now to see if I can find any sources that show otherwise and everything I'm finding shows it's part of the executive branch as well, even USA.gov (http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/federal.shtml). The only thing he really does senate-wise is cast tie-breaking votes.