PDA

View Full Version : City Love

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Just Friday, I went to River Days with some friends, a week long thing Detroit is having right Downtown and along the riverfront that includes many concerts, lots of food, carnival rides, games, competitions, and shows, all for free. So we ate somewhere in Mexicantown, hung out in the RenCen, saw a couple bands, rode around on the People Mover, and went to a little local sports store to pick up some Tigers gear.

And it got me thinking, I love this city, and I never want to leave it.

Now, I live ten minutes outside of Detroit, and if I go to end of my street, I can see its amazing skyline. I go there quite frequently to see sports games, go to concerts, buy some things, and eat. When someone asks where I live, for anyone who lives in Wayne County, Iíll be specific, but for everyone outside, Iíll just tell them I live in Detroit.

But I really, really, really love the sports here, the music scene here, and most importantly, the people here. Even with the extremely struggling economy and the high crime rates, I never want to leave the area, never ever. Iíve grown attached to the city and would rather live here than in Florida, Seattle, Chicago, anywhere in the Northeast, and most other places.

Iím just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit*. Does anyone else have this kind of love for where they live?

*Any other fans of ďDonít Stop BelieviníĒ by Journey?

khaaaaan
06-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I feel exactly the same way about Copenhagen. I was born and raised here and I really love it. I think it's a pretty common feeling to have for your home town though.

H1T_That
06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I hate my hometown. As soon as i make enough money to live in the city, i will do so. Flat prices are pretty fucking high though.

khaaaaan
06-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I guess that proves me wrong:o

killer_queen
06-24-2007, 03:37 PM
I love, lovelovelovelove the city I live in. I was born here. Lived in another city to be with my parents when I was little but came back here.

It's a pretty small city with a small river, which isn't very clean, in it. It only takes 30 minutes max. to meet with your friends. yet you can find anything you want and there are tons of activities for the young people since there are two huge universities. And the people are very modern if you compare with the other cities' people in Turkey.

So yeah, I have that kind of love for this city. But I definitly want to leave it one day. living in the same place forever sounds like the worst thing that could happen to me. I'm sure I'm not that kind of person.

H1T_That
06-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, I guess that proves me wrong:o

I bet its true in most cases, apart from people who live in my village.

wheelchairman
06-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I love both Eugene and Copenhagen. Eugene has none of the "impressiveness" (lol) of Copenhagen, but it has a lot more charm. I think lighting of a city has a lot to do with it, both cities have a lot of nature and the sun just makes you want to be outside during the summer.

Tizzalicious
06-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Or the ones who live in my hometown.

Copenhagen, however, where I spend most of my time now, I love love love. I can just bike around the city thinking about how much I love it. Yesssss.

H1T_That
06-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Or the ones who live in my hometown.

Copenhagen, however, where I spend most of my time now, I love love love. I can just bike around the city thinking about how much I love it. Yesssss.

People get murdered and raped in your village weekly too?

Tizzalicious
06-24-2007, 03:54 PM

No, but is that the only reason why someone can not like a place?

H1T_That
06-24-2007, 03:59 PM
No, but is that the only reason why someone can not like a place?

Well, its pretty much a dump. Drug addicts everywhere etc. Unless your a familliar face, its not recommended you wanter the streets alone at night. All of these factors just generally give the village a horrible feel.

I personally have lived here all my life, and know pretty much everyone on first name basis, or by face, so i'm kinda safe.

killer_queen
06-24-2007, 04:06 PM
h1t that, do you know punkangel? You two live in the same town, I guess.

H1T_That
06-24-2007, 04:08 PM

punkangel.....Doesn't ring a bell. Before my time perhaps?

Tizzalicious
06-24-2007, 04:12 PM

I think they do too.

H1t That, that wasn't my point. The fact that my hometown is just ugly and boring and doesn't have druggies and killers all over the place like it's Paptown, doesn't mean I have to love it. That was the point.

H1T_That
06-24-2007, 04:14 PM
I think they do too.

H1t That, that wasn't my point. The fact that my hometown is just ugly and boring and doesn't have druggies and killers all over the place like it's Paptown, doesn't mean I have to love it. That was the point.

Oh. I totally interpreted that wrongly.

I see what you mean now.

Tijs
06-24-2007, 04:34 PM
I love my city too. I will never leaver it, except maybe for a few years of education in another city.

I love it's history, I love it's big events even though Nijmegen isn't that, I love the centre, I love it's location, I love... it!

JohnnyNemesis
06-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Something tells me H1T_That is from Paptown.

T-6005
06-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Toronto's alright. If I had to settle down in one city for the rest of my life, I'd choose Tokyo in a heartbeat, but I strongly hope to never have to do that. I'm simply too used to moving around, and I love to do it.

Staying more than 4 years anywhere makes me restless.

Llamas
06-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I think I'm easily attached to cities. I lived from 3 to 12 in Cedarburg, WI, and I love that city. It was only 18,000 people and is extremely historic. I loved it and would so live there again.

Then I lived in New Berlin, WI from 12-18. I didn't really like it, but am moving back there at the end of July... so I guess it's tolerable.

Then I lived in Whitewater, WI for a year. I hated it.

Then I lived in Minneapolis, MN for four years. I adored it. Where to start on why? Oh, man. I love the size, for one. It's a little under 400,000 people, which is big enough that I don't feel trapped, but small enough that I'm not overwhelmed. It's a perfect size. The arts scene there is really nice, including the jazz scene and rap scene. I love the hockey culture, and even though I'm not HUGE into hockey, it's fun to be involved with. I love the weather. I really adore extreme temperature, and I miss the -40C/F winters and +40C/+102F summers. I loved my University there, and loved my job calling students who were interested in it and telling them all about how great it is. :)

Then I moved to Graz, Austria and have been here five months. I like this city a LOT, but I don't think this city is one I'd want to live in for the rest of my life. I'd stay for a while, even for a few years (I'm going back to the US next month, though), but not really long term. It's about 250,000 people, which is a nice size, and the transportation system is great. I just feel like the bulk of the city isn't that big, and tends to feel rather cramped... so every time I want to go into the city, I feel really crowded and claustrophobic. However, I think that Budapest is the only European city that I haven't felt that way in, so I'm sure it's not just Graz that's like that.

In conclusion, Minneapolis > all. I love other cities I've visited, but Minneapolis is the only city I *know* I could live in for the rest of my life and really love it.

And, uh,
I’m just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit*.
Seriously. Let's get married. <3 Please tell me you take the midnight train going anywhere. I really, really want the excuse to say this line sometime in real life.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-24-2007, 10:16 PM
http://i9.tinypic.com/632yovm.jpg

Like you were saying, a lot of people are like that here too, not really caring about Detroit, or hating it. "Detroit? I don't want to get shot." "Detroit? There goes the economy."

This post is great.

And, uh,
Seriously. Let's get married. <3 Please tell me you take the midnight train going anywhere. I really, really want the excuse to say this line sometime in real life.
Well, are you a small town girl living in a lonely world?

Llamas
06-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Well, are you a small town girl living in a lonely world?
I believe we're streetlight people. Damn... I love that song. I mean, I listened to it every single day last summer at work and still adore it.

I tend to get really annoyed when people automatically think that, because a place is possibly more dangerous than other places, people shouldn't want to live there. I know people from New Zealand who are like, "I'd never go to Eastern Europe. I value my life too much to risk a war starting." This just bothers me. My favorite apartment I've lived in was in a pretty bad neighborhood where I came home to shootings several times throughout the year. No, not the most fun neighborhood, but that doesn't mean you can't LOVE other things about the place that balance it out.

RODNEYMULLEN
06-24-2007, 11:14 PM
I live in detroit too. IT FUCKING SUCKS! Well i live near detroit. But i'm allways in detroit.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-25-2007, 01:08 AM
What positive image? This place is fucking hell, i can't sleep because there is always someone blasting ghetto rap music or some shit. And theres broken glass EVERYWHERE! I don't know where in michigan you live but detroit fucking sucks. But atleast there are good skatespots. And you have no idea how many people i've seen looking through my garbage. MICHIGAN SUCKS!

Case and point.

coke_a_holic
06-25-2007, 02:11 AM
I live in, apparently, the single most affluent county in the entire country. Montgomery County, MD is full of the most inconsiderate, self-righteous assholes I have ever met, which seems to be an effect of said affluence. I have lived here my whole life and have never found a single reason why I should stay once I can leave, unless I lived in Washington, DC or something, rather than in this oblivious small town.

Yes, I know I shouldn't be complaining about living in a super rich town, but I feel horrifically out of place here. I think that the hardest part about living here is knowing that, theoretically, everyone here should be collectively much smarter than any other group of kids that I meet; this is an issue because almost everyone here is completely idiotic. There are, of course, a couple exceptions.

I guess the real issue here is the people. I could do without all of the stupid chain restaurants and the lack of forests, but if I lived over in DC, or something, I would be happy. It's cold in winter, hot in summer, which I like, and the architecture in DC is fantastic. Basically, I hate the small patch of land that I'm on and I'm desperate to get off of it. I'm so glad I start college in a year; I don't think I can last much longer here.

ninthlayer
06-25-2007, 05:13 AM
Detroit
http://www.chieftain.com/archive/2006/nov/23/styHomeImprovement.jpg
I will always imagine Home Improvement whenever someone mentions Detroit. I spent an hour at a Detroit airport once and saw a cool t-shirt at kid's store while I was walking around. I meant to go back and buy it but didn't manage to do so (Uh, hi. It had a bear on it and just said Michigan, how cool is that?).

pap pap pap

T-6005
06-25-2007, 05:42 AM
everyone here should be collectively much smarter than any other group of kids that I meet
The more well-to-do people are when their kids are born, the dumber their kids tend to be, it seems.

Noodfan
06-27-2007, 02:23 PM
I second all the things killer_queen said. But half of you wants to stay the other half is always trying to escape.

Endymion
06-27-2007, 03:05 PM
i generally like the orange county area, which is where i was born, raised, and still currently reside. however, i have a feeling i'm going to love davis and not want to leave. the town has so much character and is collectively much more educated than basically anywhere else (it's ranked as the second most educated city in the nation by percentage of residents with a graduate degree).