PDA

View Full Version : Concerts

Apathy
06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Fuck. So on July 4th, Streetlight Manifesto, Against All Authority, Reel Big Fish, and Less Than Jake are all coming to my town and playing. For Free.

Where will I be? At work. Ten Minutes Away. Not Listening to rad music.

So everyone try to cheer me up with a detailed description of the last concert they went to. Person who attended the strangest one will win a prize.*

Prize does not actually exist.

Professor Chaos
06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Quit your job.

It's worth it.

Seriously, go to that shit.

Apathy
06-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I can honestly say that I considered it.

What's horrible is if it were any other day I could get off. But since it's the 4th of July everyone refuses to take my shift for me. Everyone wants the stupid holiday off.

Bazza
06-25-2007, 04:07 PM
No chance of ringing in "sick"? I've done it a few times to get time off for gigs.

Apathy
06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Normally maybe.

But since it's a holiday and I already asked virtually every employee to cover for me, it would seem a little too suspicious.

coke_a_holic
06-25-2007, 04:14 PM
What the fuck kind of hours do you have?

Anyways, I won't be home for the RBF/Streetlight show in my town, either. It's like, the ONE DAY they are here is the only day in the entire month that I won't be home. It drives me fucking CRAZY.

The last show I went to was my friend Adam playing for, like, 30 minutes at some acoustic night at a bar. He did really well, but I got there halfway through and felt bad that I missed the first half, especially since he played my my favorite song first. Oh well, it was still fun.

Apathy
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
What the fuck kind of hours do you have?

Erratic ones.

The way I'm scheduled I can see Reel Big Fish, and ten minutes of Less Than Jake. But those are the two bands that I was least excited to see. I mainly just wanted to see Streetlight and call it a day.

Fuck the Fireworks, I just want a little 'Failing, Flailing' action.

Endymion
06-25-2007, 05:11 PM
last show i went to was this really ghetto scene punk show in santa ana. i went to see Mika Miko but ended up having to sit through some of the most scene, boring crap i've ever seen. hey kids, go back to myspace.

RODNEYMULLEN
06-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Fuck. So on July 4th, Streetlight Manifesto, Against All Authority, Reel Big Fish, and Less Than Jake are all coming to my town and playing. For Free.

So everyone try to cheer me up with a detailed description of the last concert they went to. Person who attended the strangest one will win a prize.*

Call work, crying about how your aunt or somone close in your family just died.

adombomb222
06-25-2007, 09:25 PM
No... Just say "Hey, I'm take the 4th off weather you like it or not, take one of my vacation days or sick days or just comp me."

All About Eve
06-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't know if those guys are coming here, but I don't think so. I probably wouldn't see them either way; bands don't come anywhere closer than Atlanta which adds up with gas and stuff.

The last concert I saw was Army of Freshmen, Punchline, Lucky Boys Confusion, and Bowling for Soup. The first two were bad/boring, but Lucky Boys Confusion was awesome and fun, and Bowling for Soup can be catchy and can be funny too.

This weekend I'm seeing Army of Freshmen, Quietdrive, Melee, and Bowling for Soup. I know AoF won't be good, Quietdrive doesn't seem bad, just boring. From what I've heard on MySpace, Melee are awesome, and are the main reason I'm going. Bowling for Soup should be fun too, though.

But yeah, notice any patterns? Not a whole lot of bands come through here. You'd think they would, Atlanta being Atlanta, but the demographics here don't make for a big rock/alt scene. The place rock is probably most popular is in Athens, Georgia, but that's because of the college and is 4-5 hours away anyways.

I'm hoping I can go to Warped this year. There seem to be a lot of good bands on it this time around.

Apathy
06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't know what comp me means.

You guys are kinda getting off topic of what I had intended though.

adombomb222
06-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I think comp means not pay you, but I could be wrong. Like you have paid days off... Just give you a day off and not pay you.

All About Eve
06-25-2007, 09:54 PM
You guys are kinda getting off topic of what I had intended though.
Hey, I followed the rules!

But why do you want to hear about other concerts? Won't it make it worse? Anyways, where do you actually work?

Apathy
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
I have a semi shitty job at marcus theatres. Which, unless you're from Wisconsin, Illinois, Iwoa, Ohio, or North Dakota you will probably not have heard of.

Basically, they pay me shit, but I get all the free movies/food I want so I don't complain.

DeAtHsTaR
06-26-2007, 01:43 PM

1. Call in sick.
2. Why are they playing a free show?

Professor Chaos
06-26-2007, 02:46 PM
1. Call in sick.

How do I read thread?

No chance of ringing in "sick"? I've done it a few times to get time off for gigs.

Normally maybe.

But since it's a holiday and I already asked virtually every employee to cover for me, it would seem a little too suspicious.

Llamas
06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I have a semi shitty job at marcus theatres. Which, unless you're from Wisconsin, Illinois, Iwoa, Ohio, or North Dakota you will probably not have heard of.

Basically, they pay me shit, but I get all the free movies/food I want so I don't complain.
Oh god... you don't work in the one in New Berlin, do you? My friends used to work there... treated like shit, and minimum wage. Sucky.

And lol at dain saying the same thing two other people had already said and apathy had explained twice why it's not possible... it's not like it's a long thread...

WebDudette
06-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm most certainly going to the Streetlight Manifesto show here in Arizona. It's on my best friends birthday. Also, if I am lucky I will be in Oklahoma when they play a show there. I honestly think I just wouldn't go to work that day. Even if it would cost me my job. I am irresponsible like that. Plus, I work for my father.

I was going to see the Chinese Stars the early this month but they canceled there tour :(. This is kind of the second time I don't get to see them. The first time The Blood Brothers had three different opening bands for the whole tour one of them being The Chinese Stars but instead some shitty band played in Arizona.

Apathy
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Oh god... you don't work in the one in New Berlin, do you? My friends used to work there... treated like shit, and minimum wage. Sucky.

Nope. Brookfield/Waukesha. It's brand new, Marcus Majestic.

Summerfest, at a free stage. There are so many ways to get free tickets too.

Endymion
06-26-2007, 11:53 PM
I was going to see the Chinese Stars the early this month but they canceled there tour :(. This is kind of the second time I don't get to see them. The first time The Blood Brothers had three different opening bands for the whole tour one of them being The Chinese Stars but instead some shitty band played in Arizona.

=/ i've never seen them either

Llamas
06-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Summerfest, at a free stage. There are so many ways to get free tickets too.

FYI, if it makes you feel any better, I go to Summerfest every year. I've gone for the past 5 or so years straight... and I used to go pretty much every day. I had a fabricated bus pass so I could take the shuttle for free, and I'd get the Summerfest pin for $3/$5 so I could get in free each day...

This year, not only do they no longer have the pin, and no longer do any of my friends go to UWM for me get a bus pass, but I'm not even in the country. The lineup is very awesome this year, and I can't go at all. :( Summerfest is by far my favorite thing about summer... there goes two weeks of free concerts! Lame. I really wanted to go see Streetlight, as well.

adombomb222
06-27-2007, 07:03 AM
I wanted to go to the Fair To Midland concert last night with the 69 Eyes, but no it was a 16+ show... I was mad. But I'll go to their next show, which I believe the tour starts late August and they're opening for the Smashing Pumpkins so that odd to be cool, but they haven't released the tour dates yet.

Apathy
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
FYI, if it makes you feel any better, I go to Summerfest every year. I've gone for the past 5 or so years straight... and I used to go pretty much every day. I had a fabricated bus pass so I could take the shuttle for free, and I'd get the Summerfest pin for $3/$5 so I could get in free each day...

This year, not only do they no longer have the pin, and no longer do any of my friends go to UWM for me get a bus pass, but I'm not even in the country. The lineup is very awesome this year, and I can't go at all. :( Summerfest is by far my favorite thing about summer... there goes two weeks of free concerts! Lame. I really wanted to go see Streetlight, as well.

This year is probably the best year in terms of what bands are playing, according to my tastes anyway. My friend works there so I get in free every day (that I'm available anyway). I'm seeing the Violent Femmes tomorrow on opening day.

Edit: It's kind of funny to think about other members of the forums at the same place as me. Since I'm not from New York or anything I've never been to a meet-up or anything.

Llamas
06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
haha. Well, at the end of July, I'm moving back to the Milwaukee area for the first time in 5 years. I lived in Minneapolis and now Graz Austria, both places where nobody from this board lives. But now I'll be moving back... omg maybe you, me and wishomie can meet up! lol. Oh god.

Do you actually live IN Milwaukee, by the way? I'm from a suburb.

Yes, the line up looks fantastic. Violent Femmes, Jack's Mannequin, REO Speedwagon, Flyleaf, Sum 41, Fuel, Goo Goo Dolls, Sister Hazel, Social Distortion, AFI, Plain White T's, Sevendust, Dashboard Confessional, Live, Guster, Collective Soul, The Gufs, Bob Schneider, Streetlight Manifesto, Northern Room, and Shock Stars. Fuck. (Bolded are the ones I really, really wanted to see.) At least you get to go, Mr. Whiney Pants! :P

H1T_That
06-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Yes, the line up looks fantastic. Violent Femmes, Jack's Mannequin, REO Speedwagon, Flyleaf, Sum 41, Fuel, Goo Goo Dolls, Sister Hazel, Social Distortion, AFI, Plain White T's, Sevendust, Dashboard Confessional, Live, Guster, Collective Soul, The Gufs, Bob Schneider, Streetlight Manifesto, Northern Room, and Shock Stars. Fuck. (Bolded are the ones I really, really wanted to see.) At least you get to go, Mr. Whiney Pants! :P

You don't want to see Flyleaf?

Llamas
06-27-2007, 03:35 PM
All of those bands are the ones I wanted to see. The bolded ones were the ones that would've paid to see (the others I'd just see cause I like them). There are a ton more bands that are playing... those are just the ones I'd go see.

Apathy
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Nope, not in milwaukee. A little town Called Lannon. It's in the Menomonee Falls/Sussex Area. If you still don't know where that is, It's pretty close to brookfield as well.

And you're moving back at the end of July. You could go to warped tour. I'm paying the ticket price just to see Big D and the Kids Table and then leave.

H1T_That
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
All of those bands are the ones I wanted to see. The bolded ones were the ones that would've paid to see (the others I'd just see cause I like them). There are a ton more bands that are playing... those are just the ones I'd go see.

Oh, i see.

Well, i reccommend seeing Flyleaf. They're a good live band.

Llamas
06-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Nope, not in milwaukee. A little town Called Lannon. It's in the Menomonee Falls/Sussex Area. If you still don't know where that is, It's pretty close to brookfield as well.
I know Menomonee Falls. I used to live in Cedarburg when I was a kid.

And you're moving back at the end of July. You could go to warped tour. I'm paying the ticket price just to see Big D and the Kids Table and then leave.
Yeah I'm thinking about going to the warped tour. I haven't gone since 2003. We'll see if I find anyone who wants to go.

Oh, i see.

Well, i reccommend seeing Flyleaf. They're a good live band.

Well like I said in my post, I don't have an option. I can't go see any of the bands.

H1T_That
06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I know Menomonee Falls. I used to live in Cedarburg when I was a kid.

Yeah I'm thinking about going to the warped tour. I haven't gone since 2003. We'll see if I find anyone who wants to go.

Well like I said in my post, I don't have an option. I can't go see any of the bands.

Oh yeah. Sorry.

Marco
06-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers tonight - Udine.
I live in Trieste but I can get there in less than an hour...:D
It's sunny today, so I'm going to the beach, relaxing...and then concert!
I'll give you the description tomorrow...cheers

Marco
07-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Ok so, RHCP - live in Udine.
The openers were shitty rappers...I couldn't stand them.
Then Flea, Frusciante and the drummer came on stage performing a jam, arriving 30 minutes late:rolleyes:
Then Kiedis came on stage and the intro to Can't Stop began.
The played wonderfully for all the show, which lasted 1h 45m.
Many fans said that it was a horrible show, because they haven't played Californication (which didn't fit in the show because it was based on energetic songs) and because the lightning and stage design was not great. I think that people go to see RHCP for the music, not for special effects. If you want special effects, wait for New Year and watch the fireworks!:p
Anyway, I enjoyed being there and will remember it for the rest of ny life!

Yatesy
07-01-2007, 10:17 AM
The last gig I watched was Head Automatica in May. The support act Nex were nothing I've never heard before and I had no idea if they wanted to be taken seriously or not, the guitarist constantly pulled faces and the lead singer looked like Prince Harry with eye shadow on. Fortunately they weren't on for too long and they left. Then during the sound check they had a DJ session with someone called DJ Crazy (I think...) and did remixes of songs from the following bands (from what I remember):
-Wolfmother
-Bloc Party
-Daft Punk
-Death from Above 1979

I know there was more but I forgot. Then Head Automatica came on who were quite good live minus the fact Manchester Academy 2 has crappy sound and the microphone was barely working. The set list was pretty good playing a good amount of songs of songs off each album.

DeAtHsTaR
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm seeing Social Distortion tomorrow!!! This is going to be fucking amazing :D

coke_a_holic
07-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Anyways, I won't be home for the RBF/Streetlight show in my town, either. It's like, the ONE DAY they are here is the only day in the entire month that I won't be home. It drives me fucking CRAZY.

Alright! The Streetlight show sold out because there was a chance I'd be able to make it, and I'm going on vacation over the Gogol Bordello concert! God dammit.

At least there's still Warped Tour, I guess. :(

WebDudette
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Warped Tour = I never want to see the sun again.

Instead of the venue they chose last time (baseball field), they picked a place where everything would be on black top.

Thomas
07-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I came home from Roskilde yesterday where I saw:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Who
Beastie Boys

And yes, it was AwEsOmE!

Did you really see the Who? wow.

And I envy you for seeing RHCP and the beastie Boys.

WebDudette
07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
I would love to see the Beastie Boys. Did they play Paul Revere? Probably not, I don't think thats a very popular song.

DeAtHsTaR
07-13-2007, 08:49 PM
SOCIAL DISTORTION. OMFG. They kept us waiting FOREVER but it was worth it. They come out playing an instrumental song, while Mike Ness comes up a little after wearing a bandana over his face and a bouquet of roses that he threw into the crowd. They started in with "Reach for the Sky." The crowd went fuckin' insane. The pit was the biggest one I've ever seen, at least 100 people, and it never let up for more than a couple minutes for the rest of the night. The next song they played was Highway 101, and Mike's voice was still getting warmed up so it wasn't the greatest performance ever but still good. Next was Bad Luck I think, AWESOME. After that I lost track of what order the songs were, but here's all the songs they played through the night that I remember.

Reach for the Sky
Highway 101
Bad Luck
Far Behind (New song, it's on my page I think if you haven't heard it)
Ball and Chain
Mommy's Little Monster
Prison Bound
When She Begins
Nickels and Dimes
Under my Thumb (Rolling Stones cover)
Making Believe
Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash cover)
Pleasure Seeker
Sometimes I Do

There might've been a couple more, but I can't remember. The pit was craziest during Mommy's Little Monster as you might expect. In that song I crowd surfed for the first time ever, and I got like 15 feet across the crowd until some asshole security guard grabbed me by the neck and told me to "Stay the fuck down, you might get hurt" Oh, and I won't get hurt by some asshole putting me in a chokehold? Whatever though.
Ball and Chain was amazing. Everybody there knew the words to it, so you could actually hear the whole crowd singing louder than the band. For some reason people were moshing, which didn't make a lot of sense for a song like that, but oh well. FUCK this building was hot. I think I lost a gallon of sweat, haha.

All in all it was one of the best nights in my life. Best songs of the night: Mommy's Little Monster, Ring of Fire, When She Begins, Nickels and Dimes, Sometimes I Do, Ball and Chain, Far Behind. The only thing that could've made the show better is if they played "Story of my Life" and "Sick Boys." Mike Ness's voice was exactly like it is on the albums after the first few songs. The encore was Prison Bound and Ring of Fire, and those were great. In between the two, he called up the 5 youngest members of the audience and just talked to them for a while about stuff and asked them questions and made a point to everyone else in the building. I don't know what that point was because too many people were talking. The thing about Mike Ness is, well, I don't know. When you see him, it's like, "holy shit, it's Mike Ness!!!" like he's some kind of celebrity. At the same time, it seems really personal, like he knows everybody in the room. I was about 10 feet away from him. Before most of the songs, he tells the story about why he wrote it and what was going on in his life at the time, kinda like that VH1 Storytellers show. You can really tell he cares about his fans and he actually wants to be there. I've seen so many local bands who think they're better than everyone else and they don't care if the fans enjoy the show. But Social Distortion are legends and they've been around for 30 years, yet you can totally tell they would still be playing if 25 people showed up. From what I can tell Mike Ness is just a great guy and it was so awesome to be standing that close to one of the most legendary men in the history of punk rock.

WebDudette
03-10-2008, 12:01 AM
I finally got to see the Chinese Stars! They played a pretty amazing show regardless of the shitty sound system. The other 2 bands were also really good, especially These Are Powers, they were amazing.

Anyway, I bought A Rare Sensation vinyl and got it signed by 2/4 members, the bassist and the singer. I had talked to both the drummer and the guitarist at one point in the night and was going to get theres two but by the time I got the chance they had left for some bar.

From the very, very little time I spent with them the bassist was a really cool guy. The drummer seemed kind of like that assholish guy that is awesome regardless. Did talk much to the others.

There was one couple at the concert that smelled so unbearably bad. It was ridiculous, and they threw them selves all over people, which wouldn't bother me if they didn't smell so fucking bad. When I was outside after the show everyone was talking about them. there was also a really weird droog-esque couple. They had the hats and shit, one of them had a croquet mallet...

offspring182
03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Last concert I went to was an Angels and Airwaves acoustic show. It was at a music store so it was very hard to see, that and I was shorter than anyone else there. They were pretty good. I brought my friend along with me. While AvA was doing the signing we were about 6 feet away from them and my friend was yelling "I love you Tom!", and my friends' a guy. And, whenever Tom looked over my friend would start yelling "Oh my god he looked at me!". It was very entertaining. I've gone to only 2 other shows before that, Bumbershoot (Schoolyard Heroes, Gym Class Heroes, Panic at the Disco) and the Honda Civic Tour (+44, Fall Out Boy, Cobra Starship, The Academy Is, and unfortunatley, Paul Wall). When +44 played Mark was jumping around all over the stage and he managed to break it.

Kayla
04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
wow, some of you guys go to a lot of concerts. i'm 16 and i've only been to 2 (1 being a festival, but still) and i'm going to see the foos this summer! and someone mentioned beastie boys-paul revere earlier, so i'm just gonna point out that i love that song, haha

Short_Attention_Span
04-03-2008, 11:26 PM
wow, some of you guys go to a lot of concerts. i'm 16 and i've only been to 2 (1 being a festival, but still) and i'm going to see the foos this summer! and someone mentioned beastie boys-paul revere earlier, so i'm just gonna point out that i love that song, haha

Eh, don't feel too bad. I'm 18 and I've never been to a concert. The closest thing to a concert that I've been to, is watching people play at the school student center for an hour during lunch.
________
Buy vaporizers (http://twitter.com/vaporizer)

Marco
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Going to see Queen + Paul Rodgers on the 28th of september...
sooooooo excited!!!

XYlophonetreeZ
04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I am SO bummed that I'm gonna be in South Carolina (aka North Carolina Jr.) when Man Man and Yeasayer come here.

jacknife737
04-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Against Me! took a break from opening for the Foos a couple weeks ago to play a small bar where I go to school, and it was epic. A lot of the set consisted of New Wave stuff, which was great, since this was the first time iíve been able to see them since they released it. Theyíve definitely gotten a lot tighter live then when I saw them last promoting Searching. The venue was great too, no barricade, kids were sitting on the stage, probably one of the closet things youíll get to seeing them play a basement show again. But yeah, one of the best shows Iíve ever been too, and Tom Gabel has got to be the happiest man on earth when heís playing live.

Kayla
04-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Eh, don't feel too bad. I'm 18 and I've never been to a concert. The closest thing to a concert that I've been to, is watching people play at the school student center for an hour during lunch.
well that's cool, still i hope you get to go to a concert eventually :) the one's i have been to were great

H1T_That
04-05-2008, 08:01 AM
This year for seeing bands looks pretty awesome thus far for me.

Going to Download and Leeds festivals.

Which means i see all of these bands

www.downloadfestival.co.uk

www.leedsfestival.co.uk