PDA

View Full Version : I feel pretty good about myself right about now.

Omni
06-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, I was on my way to Hardee's to eat some greasy, unimaginably fattening food like the American I am, and on the corner there were these three people holding up a sign that said something like "BROKE AND HUNGRY." I went to the restaraunt and ordered my food, and while I was waiting I couldn't help myself from looking out at them and watching every single car pass them by. I'm sure a lot thought they were just gonna use any charity given for booze or something else undeserving of generosity, but I couldn't help but feel guilty for the fact that I had money (even if only a little) to spare. So on my way back, I pulled over and gave them $20. The guy came up and gave me a hug (that hug was completely A-Sexual, btw), and talked with me for a little bit. I have to tell you, it feels really good for you to do kind things for other people even when it's really strenuous to do so. All I have is $65 to last me 13 more days. I know this sounds like I'm just throwing it around to inflate my ego, but I just had to say that a little kindness makes you feel justified for surviving.

Have any of you ever done this sort of thing?

Rag Doll
06-29-2007, 09:11 PM
i give a pretty decent amount of money (compared to what i make, anyways) to charities. mainly toys for tots or centers for domestic abuse and sexual assault. it does feel pretty nice to cut a $100 check to toys for tots 2 days before christmas and know that a whole bunch of little kids will get something for christmas, maybe for the first time ever.

buh. i am such an emo sap, i could cry.

Omni
06-29-2007, 09:14 PM
That is a pretty nice contribution. Kind of shadows mine, since these people were adults. I'm kind of a sap for stuff like this, too. I can't help but get all teary-eyed when I see someone less fortunate than me and no one even chips in a little to try to bail them out. It amazed me of how jovial the guy I gave the money to, was. They're apparently just kind of hitchhiking everywhere, they recently attended some sort of hippie festival a few counties away. I mean, here I am, with SOME money, a place to live, a job, and I still find reasons to bitch.

Mart2Play
06-29-2007, 09:36 PM
How sweet of you guys....yeah, i have done similiar....living in Africa my familie has made it a habit of giving old house hold items/clothing/food away to the less fortunate or let them do gardening/house cleaning for money.

Paint_It_Black
06-29-2007, 10:41 PM
It amazed me of how jovial the guy I gave the money to, was. They're apparently just kind of hitchhiking everywhere, they recently attended some sort of hippie festival a few counties away.

I'd be jovial too if I didn't have to work and could just travel around the country being a damn hippy. And I'd be sooo fucking jovial if someone was silly enough to give me $20 for nothing.

adombomb222
06-29-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm all for charity... but sometimes people are so ungrateful... and sometimes they chase you. Once I handed five dollars to a man, he asked for more – I felt bad, I game him a few more dollars and he said, “You don’t got any more!” and walked off. Then when I was in downtown Denver, I was messing around with my friends and knocked over a homeless mans cart thing. He got all kinds of pissed and was cussing me out telling me that he was like me once, a wise guy messing with the less fortunate and look where he ended up. So I said I was sorry and helped him clean up and gave him some money “for his troubles”. Then we walked down to a stoplight. And we turned back to a bunch of talking, the guy was following us… so we walking a few blocks and he still followed us. So when we came to the next light we took the corner and ran, that didn’t stop him he chased us with his cart. Finally we jumped into the street and ran to the other side and lost him, thanks to traffic (carts don’t go past halted car very easily).

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-30-2007, 12:18 AM
I work in a special kitchen and cafeteria in Detroit for the homeless every year. I helped make the food like everyone else, but afterwards, I wasn't the person dishing out the food, I helped carry plates for little kids, or old people, or disabled people, or just people that could use an extra hand. I found them seats, got to talk to a couple of them, and was basically their waiter. Some of them I felt so bad for, like the really nice mom with the five little kids.

It was one of the best things I've ever done, but I don't get to do it again until October.

--
Now I know you guys were also talking about on the streets. Sorry, but there are no homeless people wandering the streets in Detroit.

Omni
06-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Ha, I knew it was only a matter of time before the hippy jokes started. They're such an easy target, like the Jews.

And that's really generous, 1979. I should start doing something like that. Unfortunately, this isn't a huge city like Detroit. This was the first time I'd actually ever seen anyone so broke they were begging.

calichix
06-30-2007, 12:56 AM
dude my philanthropic biceps are so huge. I went to nicaragua last year with habitat for humanity and that cost almost $2000 not including all the ice cream and nutrigrain bars I bought for street kids.

dude ugh I hate when people get pissed cause you didn't give them enough. these little homeless girls all attacked me and called me mean cause I didn't have enough skrilla for all of them.

Omni
06-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Sigh, way to make us all feel like pussies, calichix. How do you find the money to do that?

BustedKnuckles
06-30-2007, 01:30 AM
My buddies and I didn't have any money, but we did give a hobo a beer and a cigar. He was stoked.

JoY
06-30-2007, 01:50 AM
it's happened a few times, when a junk asked me for money, I asked him what it's for & we start a conversation about his life. there were a few times that I gave them some food or a cigarette, instead of money, because seriously, there's no need to fund the drug abuse in Amsterdam. there were also times I offered to buy them a sandwich, instead of giving them cash, & they reacted more like "I don't need no fucking food bitch".

Paint_It_Black
06-30-2007, 02:16 AM
Ha, I knew it was only a matter of time before the hippy jokes started. They're such an easy target, like the Jews.

What jokes? You said they'd been to a hippy festival.

I'm all for being charitable, but only to people who really deserve it. People who choose to travel around the country going to hippy festivals don't deserve it in my opinion.

calichix
06-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Omni- I've been working since I was like 14. I gots money in the baaank I'll buy you a draaank.

Llamas
06-30-2007, 04:48 AM
I don't give money to street bums anymore. Two reasons:

One month, I had absolutely no money. I was so broke I couldn't afford food. My friend's parents came to town and took her grocery shopping, and she picked up like 10-15 dollars worth of extra food than she needed and gave it to me. I was walking home with my little plastic bag of foods, and this bum stopped me. He said he'd been on the streets for a long time and hadn't eaten in eight days. I told him I honestly had no money (which really was the truth), and he looked down at my bag of food. I said, "Oh, this food. Sure, you can have an apple, if you'd like." He grabbed the bag and said, "YA GOT CRACKERS??" I had one box of crackers, and I wasn't sure if he wanted to take the whole box of them, or if he expected me to open the box and give him a few. I was really mad at him for grabbing my belongings from me, so I took it back and said, "No, this food isn't mine, so I can't give you anything besides an apple." I took the apple out of the bag and handed it to him. He looked at it for a second, and then handed it back to me, giving me a disgusted look. I was like, if you haven't eaten for EIGHT DAYS, I'd think you'd be ecstatic to get an apple.

Then there was the time I tried to help someone. My friend and I were waiting for the bus, and this lady came up to us and sat down and asked us if we had $1.50 for the bus fare, because she had no money and really needed to get home. I believed her, and said to my friend, "I have 75 cents if you do." We each gave her 75 cents. Instead of thanking us, she said, "Do y'all have $5 each? Cause I need to get to Roseville." I was like, "What? Why do you need $5 to get to Roseville?" and she said that she needed to pay for a taxi. I asked her why she asked for bus fare, when she needed a taxi; I also told her that a taxi is not going to get her to Roseville, and especially a bus isn't going to. After I questioned her, she made some fake tears, insulted us, got up and walked away. I was like, Fuck, there goes 75 cents.

I won't give anything to bums ever again.

killer_queen
06-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Brianna, don't you think it's kinda..stupid? You know, there are millions of hungry people. Why do you stop helping because of two weirdos?

I'm not really a good person. I usually don't realize that there are other people besides me and that they have problems too. When I'm happy I never care about helping someone. But when I feel depressed, which happens a lot, and someone asks for money I just give all of money. But I never feel like doing something nice. It's my father's money, he earns it and when I'm back home I can get that money from him again.

Sin Studly
06-30-2007, 05:37 AM
My response to the homeless asking for money has come a long way.

1. "Sure, here you go"
2. "Oh, I'm really sorry but I don't have any money on me"
3. "I don't have anything."
4. "I don't have anything for your kind."
5. "Sorry friend, I only give charity to white people"

Naturally, I only say the last one if there are cops nearby and/or the black guy is crippled or younger than 10.

ninthlayer
06-30-2007, 06:34 AM
I'm all about that cold shoulder.

Paint_It_Black
06-30-2007, 07:27 AM

Do you hate them more than fat people?

1. "Sure, here you go"
2. "Oh, I'm really sorry but I don't have any money on me"
3. "I don't have anything."
4. "I don't have anything for your kind."
5. "Sorry friend, I only give charity to white people"

I've currently reached level 3 after progressing rather rapidly through 1 and 2.

A few months ago I moved to one of the shittiest parts of town, lured in by the cheapest rent in town. For the most part I love it, but it took a brief adjustment period. At first, every time I stepped outside someone would be asking me for money. They wouldn't just come right out with it though. First they'd walk up smiling, and ask me how I am doing. Maybe comment on the weather. Then ask for a dollar. This was a new experience for me and so, being taken by surprise, I handed out money. It took me about a week of this to reach level 3.

It's sort of interesting though. So far, all the women have made up a sad story. The best started off asking for some change for the bus, which I gave. This was within that first week of course. Then she immediately asked for for more money, saying her car had broken down and needed to be fixed. I said I didn't have any more. So then she asked for money for a cab. I politely said no and started walking away because she was already starting the next one.

The men, on the other hand, tend to just make some random greeting while grinning suspiciously then immediately ask for money without bothering to make up a story. I much prefer this method. We both know what's going on, so let's just get down to me saying no and waiting to see if you pull a knife.

Their persistence is impressive. One morning I was walking my wife to her car, something I have to do regularly now. I had stopped at the gate, about 20 feet away, and was waiting for her to get safely in the car. Suddenly this guy comes out of nowhere and asks her for a cigarette because he's waiting for the gas station to open so he can buy some. She says she doesn't have any, so then he asks for money. She's in her car at this point, and he's partially stopping her from closing her door. I begin to move in. I only get a couple of steps before she gets her door shut and begins to leave. By this point the guy has seen me and is now heading in my direction, so I get back behind the gate and shut it. It should be noted I'm wearing sweat pants, a t-shirt and no shoes. I got out of bed to walk my wife out. So this guy reaches me and asks for a dollar. I truthfully tell him I have nothing with me, since I just got out of bed to walk my wife out. He says something like "oh ok man that's cool". Then he asks for a cigarette. I repeat that I just got out of bed and have nothing with me. Then he asks for 50 cents and I walk away.

Another time I was walking home from the bar with my wife and a friend of mine. We pass two women walking the other way, who of course start some elaborate tale and ask for money. My wife gave them some, even though we're completely broke. We only went out because my friend insisted and paid for us. But ok, whatever, it's her money to waste I guess. Then they immediately ask for more, and my wife started reaching in her purse again. I quickly cut in and gave them the entire contents of my pockets, probably about 70 cents, hoping to stop my wife giving them more. The woman just looks at me and says "thanks", dripping with sarcasm, before turning back to my wife who's still digging out the last of our money. I try telling my wife we've already given enough but she won't listen, so I even try to gently pull her along, but she shakes me off and this bitch starts yelling "that's not coo sir! That's not coo!" and my wife's all like "it's ok honey, I understand, here" and gives her more fucking money. At this point I walk off in disgust. Once she'd sobered up the next morning she couldn't believe she'd actually given away the last of our money.

Part of what irritates me about all this is that I live in this area. That's usually obvious to these people, and so they should be able to assume that I don't exactly have lots of spare money to be giving away, or I wouldn't be living here. And yet they keep on asking. It's like they see a white guy and just expect me to have money. I never see any of the black people getting hit up for money, just me and the few other white people who live around here. I also never see the white people sitting outside begging for money, though it's reasonable to assume everyone who lives around here is in a similar financial situation.

Alright, rant over.

Llamas
06-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Brianna, don't you think it's kinda..stupid? You know, there are millions of hungry people. Why do you stop helping because of two weirdos?

So you're suggesting that I keep giving my money to liars, in hopes that sometime I'm actually giving to someone who needs it? Sorry, no way. Plus it's not just me. I've seen lots of people get taken for a ride.

And all the sob stories... I've seen people walking around with photos of their children taped to their shirts and whining about how their daughters are in the hospital with some disease and will you help them? Or this guy who said he and his wife just got off a bus from Chicago and need $20 to stay in a hostel. I was like, why the hell did you spend all your money on a bus from Chicago if you don't have any money for a place to sleep? Escaping the law?

Do you hate them more than fat people?
Nope, same. ;)

Part of what irritates me about all this is that I live in this area. That's usually obvious to these people, and so they should be able to assume that I don't exactly have lots of spare money to be giving away, or I wouldn't be living here. And yet they keep on asking. It's like they see a white guy and just expect me to have money. I never see any of the black people getting hit up for money, just me and the few other white people who live around here. I also never see the white people sitting outside begging for money, though it's reasonable to assume everyone who lives around here is in a similar financial situation.

I feel this same way about college campuses. In the twin cities, bums SWARM to campus. It's illegal for them to actually be on campus, and the police come if they are begging on campus, but they loiter directly across the street from it so students pass them on the way to and from class. They often hang out in the union, too, because there are always a couple thousand students in there during the day and it's hard to spot one bum in that crowd. But seriously, students don't have money. Students eat easy mac and ramen and scrounge up the couple dollars they do have to pay $5 for beer at a party once a week. Most students don't have jobs, and if they do, it's going directly to rent. So why do bums target them? I know very few students who ever help out bums, due to being rather poor themselves. Do they think they have money? Or do they just think they're really dumb and naive? I just don't get it.

Andy
06-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I'd be jovial too if I didn't have to work and could just travel around the country being a damn hippy. And I'd be sooo fucking jovial if someone was silly enough to give me $20 for nothing.

I love you, Richard.

Omni
06-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Like I said, I don't live in a particularly bad town, just overflowing with homeless people, and this was the first encounter I'd ever had. You said even you had given the first couple of weeks. I'm a naturally soft person for these kinds of things, so I just couldn't help myself.

JoY
06-30-2007, 10:57 AM
to all the people who actually gave beggers money; what do you think that's spent on? I only give money to streetmusicians, because at least they do something for it. & hey, it's cute.:)

calichix
06-30-2007, 11:11 AM
dude so what if a hobo ripped you off. hobos are great. if they're cracked out and disgusting, it's hilarious (depending on the situation). if they're sweetie pies, it'll brighten your day. if they fuck you over, you can giggle about it with other people and compare hobo stories. I don't give more than a dollar to hobos ever because if I have a dollar in my pocket it's never just a casual dollar, I need a serious taco or something. I think it's probably more conducive giving your time or something material that can't be pissed away.

I was at a free concert last night (herman's hermits. cooool.) and this meth freak chick kept dancing up on me so I grooved right back but she kept falling over onto me and shoving her armpits in my face and grabbing her fat and saying, "PREGNANT PREGNANT PREGNANT" so I shimmied away then at the end of the song she ran over and kissed my toes. thanks for the hepatitis madam.

Llamas
06-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Calichix, did you even read Richard's stories? I don't think his qualify as funny or day brightening...

Endymion
06-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I was at a free concert last night (herman's hermits. cooool.) and this meth freak chick kept dancing up on me so I grooved right back but she kept falling over onto me and shoving her armpits in my face and grabbing her fat and saying, "PREGNANT PREGNANT PREGNANT" so I shimmied away then at the end of the song she ran over and kissed my toes. thanks for the hepatitis madam.

best story ever, babe!

Andy
06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I grooved right back

I really have to start using Groove as a verb.

sKratch
06-30-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm very disappointed with myself for not banging Laura on a regular basis :[

Edit:
Or at all for that matter.

Jakebert
06-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I usually don't give money to bums. I usually give to charities and stuff collecting money at school or whatever, though.

A few months ago I was in Chicago on a school trip, and there was thing homeless guy walking around handing people 3 day old newspapers that smelled like cat piss. People would take them just to get him to leave them alone, but the second they took one, he'd grab their arm and yell "YOUGOTTAPAYFORTHAT!" One of my friends decided to give him money, and accidentally pulled out a 20 while looking for some ones. Well, the guy grabbed the 20 without asking and ran.

wheelchairman
06-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't give money to street bums anymore. Two reasons:

You are such an idiot sometimes. You hate people who discriminate, but left and right you judge entire groups of people based on one or two bad encounters you've had with. You're not stupid, but why do you try so hard to make people think you are? It's so insanely mindboggling.

to all the people who actually gave beggers money; what do you think that's spent on? I only give money to streetmusicians, because at least they do something for it. & hey, it's cute.:)
If you're gonna give money to a homeless person, why judge what they buy it on? I don't get where people think that it's wrong if some homeless drug addict goes and spends it on drugs or booze. That's obviously what they need the money for in some cases. If you want to help them, do that. If they wanted help they'd go to the places providing help, if they haven't gone to those places, they have not sought the help you seem to haughtily want to give them. I don't get it.

Personally I haven't given money to bums in years. This is because the homeless in Denmark are homeless voluntarily. Should they want a place to live they could get it. It's fine they have the right to live the life they choose, I'm not gonna fund it though. When I'm in Eugene I might give something. I almost never give money to charities, and when I see those UNICEF employees I want to punch them.

HeadAroundU
06-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Omni, there is the south park episode about what happens when you give a hippie the money.

Llamas
06-30-2007, 03:18 PM
You are such an idiot sometimes. You hate people who discriminate, but left and right you judge entire groups of people based on one or two bad encounters you've had with. You're not stupid, but why do you try so hard to make people think you are? It's so insanely mindboggling.

What?? I'm not discriminating. I didn't say, "All bums are lying." I'm not saying, "I don't trust any bums." I am saying, "I choose not to run the risk of being ripped off by giving money to bums." It doesn't feel okay for me to give money to them when there's a decent chance that I'm throwing my money away. If you go to the casino two times and play the coin slots, and both times you lose all your money, you're probably going to start questioning going again. How is that any different? I didn't say I hate bums, or that they all do something, or that they're horrible people... I didn't say ANYTHING that was judging them or discriminating against them. I said that, due to bad experiences, I won't give money to people anymore. I also won't play poker for money anymore because I lost my money when I played it in the past. omg I am discriminating against poker! :P I don't think bums are liars, or even that MOST of them lie. I didn't generalize about bums at all.

You did the same thing when I said I don't like most of the Austrians I've met. I didn't say that I hate all Austrians, or that they all are bad people, or that I don't want to meet any... I said I haven't liked most of the ones I've met. I wasn't discriminating against anyone. I still approach Austrians and try to befriend them, and don't hold negative opinions about them before meeting them. It's NOT discriminating to simply notice that I haven't liked the people I've met. I have liked most of the Finnish and Croatian people I've met. It's the same type of observation.

JoY
06-30-2007, 03:21 PM
dude so what if a hobo ripped you off. hobos are great. if they're cracked out and disgusting, it's hilarious (depending on the situation). if they're sweetie pies, it'll brighten your day. if they fuck you over, you can giggle about it with other people and compare hobo stories. I don't give more than a dollar to hobos ever because if I have a dollar in my pocket it's never just a casual dollar, I need a serious taco or something. I think it's probably more conducive giving your time or something material that can't be pissed away.

hey I love you gimme sex.

HeadAroundU
06-30-2007, 03:31 PM
What exatly happens HAU?
Homeless people from the whole country will come to your little town and make a never-ending festival. They are everywhere. Never ever give them a 20$ change.

EDIT: Whoops, I think I mixed 2 episodes together.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
06-30-2007, 03:34 PM
After reading this thread and its responses, I came to the conclusion that Detroit has the nicest hobos in the world, and there's a lot of them here too.

Every single one will joke with you, and will not beg. Will not beg at all. There's actually a lot of musicians, a good amount of them. If I was homeless, and had an extra 50 bucks, I'd go get myself a cheap instrument. It's a good way to make money. I must have gave a good 20 bucks to people playing music. And they always acknowledge it too, with a nod of their head while they're playing or a "thank you". Oh, and there's always a guy sitting on the corner outside the stadium with a sign saying "I want tickets", but they never get tickets.

Plus, you get to see some interesting things. Have you ever seen a black guy with no arms play a trumpet before? Exactly.

I wasn't kidding when I said I love the Detroit mostly because of the people here.

Now I know you guys were also talking about on the streets. Sorry, but there are no homeless people wandering the streets in Detroit.

This was sarcasm, by the way.

Llamas
06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
After reading this thread and its responses, I came to the conclusion that Detroit has the nicest hobos in the world, and there's a lot of them here too.

Every single one will joke with you, and will not beg. Will not beg at all. There's actually a lot of musicians, a good amount of them. If I was homeless, and had an extra 50 bucks, I'd go get myself a cheap instrument. It's a good way to make money. I must have gave a good 20 bucks to people playing music. And they always acknowledge it too, with a nod of their head while they're playing or a "thank you". Oh, and there's always a guy sitting on the corner outside the stadium with a sign saying "I want tickets", but they never get tickets.

Plus, you get to see some interesting things. Have you ever seen a black guy with no arms play a trumpet before? Exactly.

I wasn't kidding when I said I love the Detroit mostly because of the people here.

Bums in Graz are much less aggressive, it seems. I've never been approached by someone here asking for money. They always are sitting or kneeling and holding a hat or cup, and just say "please" as you walk past. I really have no problem with them at all, and if you talk to them, they're really nice. Sometimes if you talk to them, they'll get a bit pushy, but then you just walk away.

I've never met a non-aggressive bum in Minneapolis, though. I'm sure they're not all like that, but the ones I've met try to make you feel really, really bad if you don't give them money.

calichix
06-30-2007, 03:56 PM
it's not like if you don't give a hobo money he won't find some way to feed whatever drug addiction he has and there's an off chance he'll be feeding himself and it's just a nice thing to do. addiction aint fiction. check out someone going through heroin withdrawl, you wanna stick a needle in them yourself. bad news all over.

he'd grab their arm and yell "YOUGOTTAPAYFORTHAT!"

dude, lolololololollolooololl.

bellastephawnmarryme

wheelchairman
06-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Bums in Graz are much less aggressive, it seems. I've never been approached by someone here asking for money. They always are sitting or kneeling and holding a hat or cup, and just say "please" as you walk past. I really have no problem with them at all, and if you talk to them, they're really nice. Sometimes if you talk to them, they'll get a bit pushy, but then you just walk away.

I've never met a non-aggressive bum in Minneapolis, though. I'm sure they're not all like that, but the ones I've met try to make you feel really, really bad if you don't give them money.

oh wait, you're saying people are different in a Austria as compared to Minneapolis? Well shit. Either way, you're doing it again.

JohnnyNemesis
06-30-2007, 05:35 PM
One time I gave a bum some food (a sandwich) instead of money and he nearly cried because he was so happy. It was cool.

I tried it another time but the guy was like "no, I want money" and I was like "I don't have it" and he was like "grrrrr".

Another time, this bum was like "I've never met you before. Can I ask you for a first time five dollar donation?". I laughed and complimented him on his approach, but I only gave him one dollar, not five.

Llamas
06-30-2007, 05:50 PM
oh wait, you're saying people are different in a Austria as compared to Minneapolis?

I was replying to 1979's post about how the bums are in Detroit. Obviously people are different in different parts of the world. What's the problem in comparing and contrasting people in different cultures?

wheelchairman
06-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Comparing and contrasting cultures based on extremely limited perspectives can lead to extremely incorrect understandings of these cultures.

Llamas
06-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I think that 6 months in a fairly small to average sized city with a very concentrated center which I live extremely close to is fair exposure. I wasn't comparing bums in all of Austria; I never used the word "Austria" in that post. I was comparing bums in one city that I've lived in for six months to bums in another city that I lived in for some time. An observation I've had about the behaviors of people in different cities I've lived in isn't sweeping.

JohnnyNemesis
06-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah, but 6 months compared to how long you were in Minneapolis? That's kind of a stretch...

Llamas
06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Right, the amount of time I was actually in Minneapolis totaled a maximum of three years (I lived there longer, but went to my hometown and on week-long trips a lot). So from that, one could argue that perhaps, being in Minneapolis so long, I got burned out and annoyed with the bums and am still experiencing some cultural euphoria here. However, the bad confrontations I had with bums in Minneapolis were some of my first exposures to bums in the area. If you were to solely base my experiences on my initial encounters in each city, the results would yield that I had a bad impression of them in Minneapolis and an okay impression of them here. If you compared my first six months in each city, you'd find the same thing. My opinion in Minneapolis didn't get worse over time or anything.

On that note, I noticed a lot of differences in them between Milwaukee and Minneapolis, also. I still find bums on average to be much more aggressive in Minneapolis than in Milwaukee. I'd only had one person ever to approach me aggressively in Milwaukee. Again, I'm only speaking on personal experience. I've not once tried to imply that my experience is god's word.

Autonomist
06-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Once when I was drunk I emptied my wallet to an aboriginal man in my area who rides around a scooter. Now whenever he sees me he'll head straight for me and ask for more, completely ignoring anyone else.

sKratch
06-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I think 6 months is a very fair amount of time to judge a place...

calichix
06-30-2007, 06:57 PM
can't we all just bond over epic tales of hobo romance..?

one time I was working in a hobo shelter in england and they were all going completely insane cause one of them saw a woman walking her cat. a fooken cat on a fooken bloody lead!!! <3

Llamas
06-30-2007, 07:00 PM
No! I hate hobos. They're all horrible people who lie and fake their ways through life!

Hey, if I'm gonna get ragged on, might as well deserve it!

My sister had a big to do once, though, cause a bum was playing a french horn. She was like, "If he's homeless, he shouldn't have a french horn!" She was like 7 years old, so it was awesome.

calichix
06-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I love that. my mama does that too! if he's so homeless then WHY did I see him drinking chocolate milk the other day? EVERYONE KNOWS that chocolate milk would be the last thing on a REAL homeless person's mind. <333333!!!!!!!!

Llamas
06-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Um, yeah, dude. Everyone knows that bums can only afford Tang.

Omni
06-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Johnny's story was the best. 'he was like "grrr".' And the 5-dollar Hobo. Too bad his donations weren't good enough to really compete in this generosity pissing contest.

Paint_It_Black
07-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Like I said, I don't live in a particularly bad town, just overflowing with homeless people, and this was the first encounter I'd ever had. You said even you had given the first couple of weeks. I'm a naturally soft person for these kinds of things, so I just couldn't help myself.

I didn't mean any offense to you. It's obvious you were just being kind, and that's admirable. Just because I think it was a dumb thing to do doesn't change that. And then bragging about it on an internet forum is just kinda cute.

Omni
07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Point taken. It was pretty impulsive looking back. And right now I'm 20 bucks shorter and he's probably in no better shape than when I gave him the money.

Paint_It_Black
07-02-2007, 03:49 AM
Yeah, but you felt good at the time, and he felt good at the time. You did something out of the ordinary, and probably learned something from it. No harm there.

Betty
07-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I agree with Bella. I give money to people that entertain me, it doesn't matter what they use it for. Some street musicians are pretty incredible. Like the ones that set up these huge drumkits with a bunch of random objects, etc. Or the dude standing outside of McDonald's who would hold open the door for each patron. I think I gave him a quarter.

The concentration of hippies/bums in Victoria is really high since the climate is so nice year round, and the drug laws are fairly relaxed. For the most part they're pretty easy-going though.

Mota Boy
07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
The saddest thing ever is hobos that turn down free food. Happened to me just a couple weeks, when some guy asked me for a dollar "for a hamburger" outside of Subway and I offered him a sub. Deflated, he lowered his voice and half-heartedly continued his schpiel "...well... at Wendy's I can get free refills..." When I offered him a sandwich again, he mumbled a bit, averting sunken eyes and shuffling his scarred arms about in weak gestures before offering a barely audible "thanks" and trudging off into the dark.

On a better note, I've totally gotten into the habit lately of picking up garbage and cigarette butts wherever I go and just generally attempting to make the world a better place. It's so sickly saccharine that I'm almost looking forward to the inevitable pendulum swing back to raw cynicism. I figure I'm long overdue for getting my heart broken.

Tizzalicious
07-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Urgh, idiots who won't take free food. Even if they are just lying about money for food to get money for drugs, why say no to a free sub?

I buy those homeless newspapers sometimes, because they have to buy them before they sell them. If they are willing to invest in that when they have some money, instead of running to a dealer right away to get some drugs, they deserve to have their papers bought.

Paint_It_Black
07-03-2007, 02:06 AM
I'll take a free sandwich. Anyone still offering?

wheelchairman
07-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Shit am I the only person who if someone offered free food to, would worry that it was poisoned or in some way undesirable?

Tizzalicious
07-03-2007, 05:35 AM
I would be too, but not if someone offered to buy me one while I was standing next to it.

JohnnyNemesis
07-03-2007, 08:43 AM
TI'm almost looking forward to the inevitable pendulum swing back to raw cynicism.

Yes, I too am looking forward to the day your penis returns to your body. I've missed it.

Shit am I the only person who if someone offered free food to, would worry that it was poisoned or in some way undesirable?

You're a true American.

Nina
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM

I think that all.the.time.

I dont drink much/often (yeah I know, it's unhealthy) so I often expect to finish my drink when I actually dont. I hate throwing food or drinks away so I always have the thought of giving it to someone else. But it never happens cause I knooow they'll think I poisoned it.

sKratch
07-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I figure I'm long overdue for getting my heart broken.
You haven't seen me in a year, how is your heart intact?

WebDudette
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
This thread reminds me of something that happened a couple of months ago at a Borders. A woman came to me and my friends and offered us a whole sandwich. She told us how is was not poisoned or bad in any way she just didn't want it and didn't want to waste food. Out of the three of us one of my friends refused to eat it and though that we were going to be poisoned, but we ate it regardless. Soon after finishing our free sandwich it came to our attention that there was a bum sitting a table away and WE ate the free sandwich. I felt pretty bad.

wheelchairman
07-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I think 6 months is a very fair amount of time to judge a place...
Just saw this. You would be like um... pretty wrong. Especially when doing cross-continental countries. People who have just arrived after 6 months tend to be rather bitter actually.

T-6005
07-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Just saw this. You would be like um... pretty wrong. Especially when doing cross-continental countries. People who have just arrived after 6 months tend to be rather bitter actually.
How very true.

JohnnyNemesis
07-04-2007, 09:45 PM
oh shiz, I just noticed that too. This is the first time I've disagreed with my sKratchy-poo in ages. Sadz.