PDA

View Full Version : When asked "Play me a song"

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
07-08-2007, 09:07 AM
When somebody asks you to play your instrument for them, what few songs do you normally play first, and for what instrument? (not sure if this thread has been done before)

mrconeman
07-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Depends on the situation and person. But in general when they leave it completely wide open and just say play me a song I'd play something that everyone knows, personally something like Time of Your Life by Greenday, or Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, this is of course if I'm playing an acoustic, those two usually work well at parties too, people like to sing.

Harnum
07-08-2007, 09:13 AM
I usually play a little bit of everything when asked to play my bass. I play a little bit of slap stuff, then "Money" by Pink Floyd, and maybe even "Carousel" by Blink 182. Just random, cool little lines that I like. They usually like them too.

coke_a_holic
07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Dude, either Stairway or Enter Sandman. Duh.

Harnum
07-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Nooooo! Smoke on the Water is way better! It's the most complex thing I play.

Professor Chaos
07-09-2007, 11:03 AM
FREEEEEEEEEEE BIIIIIIIIIRRRDDD!!!

adombomb222
07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't play a song... I just go crazy and try to keep some beat on the drums. And I usually play a lot of different rolls and such on the snare... cause I'm pretty fast.

SyLeS
07-12-2007, 12:50 AM
When im asked to play my guitar for people i usually just play a lot of offspring songs.

coke_a_holic
07-12-2007, 12:59 AM
When im asked to play my guitar for people i usually just play a lot of offspring songs.
Oh, so that explains why you aren't in a band!

German Andres
07-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I don`t even care if I`m playing an acoustic or an electric guitar, I think I always start playing Smells like Teen Spirit, a few from both Metallica and Offspring and then the solo from Bohemian Rhapsody, is pretty nice. Then I start just improvising.

Sinister
07-15-2007, 09:54 AM
It varies, I usually start with whatever Metallica song obsesses me at the moment - currently, that'd be the middle part of Orion.

German Andres
07-15-2007, 10:03 AM
It varies, I usually start with whatever Metallica song obsesses me at the moment - currently, that'd be the middle part of Orion.

That`s a good one

mrconeman
07-15-2007, 10:43 AM
I don`t even care if I`m playing an acoustic or an electric guitar, I think I always start playing Smells like Teen Spirit, a few from both Metallica and Offspring and then the solo from Bohemian Rhapsody, is pretty nice. Then I start just improvising.

You have the ability to play some of Bohemian Rhapsody, yet you start with Teen Spirit?

I mean some Offspring songs remain fun to play no matter how easy they are, I like throwing out a little Dirty Magic or Genocide here and there, but how you can find Teen Spirit fun, and have the ability to play other things is beyond me.

German Andres
07-16-2007, 07:08 AM
You have the ability to play some of Bohemian Rhapsody, yet you start with Teen Spirit?

I mean some Offspring songs remain fun to play no matter how easy they are, I like throwing out a little Dirty Magic or Genocide here and there, but how you can find Teen Spirit fun, and have the ability to play other things is beyond me.

Well thanks man for that! But I don`t know, I just love those songs and I really like playing them.

T-6005
07-18-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't play anything. I know very few songs all the way through any more. I've stopped learning them. I like to play along by ear and such, but learning full songs doesn't really happen for me any more, and I've forgotten a lot of others.

All About Eve
07-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I agree. I play Dirty Magic a lot when browsing the internet or doing something else, but if I want to impress someone I try a couple of mini solos that I know (note that I'm not good at guitar). I only do SLTS when joking around.

Sinister
07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
I think starting with Smells Like Teen Spirit or Smoke On The Water or any other overused, easy classic should work well, if only for the crowdpleaser value. When you managed to impress those who don't know shit about playing, you can raise the level and impress the rest of the audience, who can appreciate true skill.

SyLeS
07-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh, so that explains why you aren't in a band!

lol im in a band i play offspring when im playing by myself. With my band i usually play metallica, pantera, or slayer

mrconeman
07-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Oh, so that explains why no one has heard of your band!

SyLeS
07-22-2007, 09:11 PM
yup :p we suck

Lightning Rod
07-22-2007, 09:54 PM
i play some own
music and solo's....
oh and
the man who sold the world
come as you are
anarchy in the UK
misirlou
after dark
kinda music
some death metal trash

ninthlayer
07-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I play a mean intro to the Entertainer on my horribly out-of-tune piano.

German Andres
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
i play some own
music and solo's....
oh and
the man who sold the world
come as you are

2 awesome songs. Come as you Are has been played by almost eveybody (including myself) even by people who don`t like Nirvana. It`s a classic. Don`t know why I`m writting this, just read it.

KyleW
08-04-2007, 04:24 AM
greensleevs or fur elise, keyboards ftw!!!!!!!

i was never taught any real songs on my keyboard although im easily capable of most songs. i did get my finger out and resarch how to play wdygaj, tkaa and long way home

randman21
08-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Usually, the people who ask me to play hate the kind of music I play, so I just typically do chords and stuff (picking individual strings, mostly), or improvised bluesy-type licks.

German Andres
08-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Usually, the people who ask me to play hate the kind of music I play, so I just typically do chords and stuff (picking individual strings, mostly), or improvised bluesy-type licks.

Yeah that usually happens

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
08-08-2007, 03:43 AM
A good one I have recently discovered is 'My Friends' by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

German Andres
08-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I`m currently learning de guitar solo of "Alive" from Pearl Jam . I can`t wait to play it in front the people!

barangatang
08-30-2007, 12:36 AM
I'll play these four chords in this order. Am G F E. Anything spanish sounding. It gets people riled up.

German Andres
08-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Try this:

Am F C G

Its called El Sensei. Classic from here