PDA

View Full Version : Project Vera to NYC 2007

Vera
07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Long story short; I suck at life and because of it, did not get into school AGAIN this year. This means - another gap year, perhaps filled with work or alternative studies or whatever. I'm currently working at my summer job, which will end around September.

Here's the thing - my last gap year drove me nuts. Living at home drove me nuts, my mum drove me nuts, I was apathetic and feeling like crap in general.

I don't want that to happen again. I want to do something with the money I earn and after working all summer, I want a little holiday, too.

There are tons of places in the world left to visit but I figured since I already discussed going to NYC with Sunny a bit earlier this summer, NYC might be the place to be. The only place in the US I'm dying to visit at least once, so much to do & to see, plus a ton of cool BBS peeps living there or nearby AND a lot of my other net buddies closeby as well.

The only difference to the plans I discussed with Sunny are the dates. I originally planned on going there late July-early August and then returning to Finland & work. Now I want to stop working in early September and then go to NYC for like 10-14 days and then come back and rewind and start looking for work and all that stuff.

I'm making this topic basically to see who's gonna be in town, who could host me (in case Mr & Mrs Sunny aren't able to), who I could call if I get arrested etc and also to keep you guys updated on the progress. And also all these travel worry questions.. I'm putting together a list of things I need to work out before anything final.

So, basically... Aug 30th - September 15th (give or take a few days) is my planned NYC holiday.

First things first - I'll call dad tomorrow & try to explain this idea to him and how it would work (aka me crashing at internet people's places whom won't rape or kill me) and then hope he can help me convince mum etc.

Wish me luck, I might really need it.

Sunny
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
september... rar. that complicates things slightly (in terms of me being around, that is). i'm off camping for the last week of august and then i was thinking of going to poland right away afterwards (for 10 days-2 weeks). it's not set in stone yet (except for the camping part). hm. we need to figure this out.

HornyPope
07-17-2007, 07:00 PM
We were considering to go the States around september (when we're back from Europe) so count us as maybe.

killer_queen
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
There are tons of places in the world left to visit but I figured since I already discussed going to NYC with Sunny a bit earlier this summer, NYC might be the place to be. The only place in the US I'm dying to visit at least once, so much to do & to see, plus a ton of cool BBS peeps living there or nearby AND a lot of my other net buddies closeby as well.
What do you mean other net buddies? I don't think you should have net buddies other than us. You are cheating on us.

By the way, I couldn't get into school this year either. We're so cool!

Vera
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
God you ppl suck at replying.

Sarah???

Ricky???

NJ peoples??

Anyone??? Sean I thought you promised me you'd make it to NY if I was to ever come there. Don't betray my trust :(

Magdalena, I was thinking I wouldn't be in NY all the time, or not at your house all the time. Like, if Sarah could host me for some nights, that would rock. Or if I could visit some not-NYC-but-close net friends or whatever.

I introduced the idea of this to both mum & dad today, dad gave it the green light and mum's reaction was something like, "Wouldn't you rather travel to a safer place.. Bagdad or something?".

Whatever happens (meaning even if all my NY plans come crashing down horribly), I AM travelling in September so I'm gonna go renew my passport tomorrow.

A friend also said she might want to be my travel companion... I don't know if her budget allows NY, but if she comes along I of course won't be crowding your households with a person you don't know.

Um, so that's about it for the update. I realize this is sort of a crappy timing as I'm having my summer holidays after everybody else has had theirs but, ehhh.

I might have to start looking at flights real soon. What connection flights are usually the cheapest? Like, through Vienna or Stockholm or whatever?

Vera
07-18-2007, 02:19 PM
What do you mean other net buddies? I don't think you should have net buddies other than us. You are cheating on us.

By the way, I couldn't get into school this year either. We're so cool!

<333

I'm a social butterfly online. Or a net geek. :(

OF COURSE, my coolest net friends R U.

nieh
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't mind going up to NY for a visit, but I live about 2 hours the city (40 minute drive to the train station and another hour plus by train) and have an ugly little studio apartment so I'm not sure how much you'd want to stay at my place if your main goal is seeing the city. I AM right across the bridge from Philly though and am within walking distance from the train that takes you into there. So if you were planning on checking that out as well as NYC that'd be swell.

Vera
07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
nieh, I can't recall this right now but I might have a net friend who lives somewhere nearby so I guess it might work that I visit you as well or something.

I'll have to be in touch with some of my LJ buddies but since LJ isn't loading for me, I guess this'll have to wait.

JohnnyNemesis
07-18-2007, 03:47 PM
tl; dr lololololololo...so, like, just call me when you're ready to make love to me in NYC, Sanni. kthx.

Apathy
07-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm on vacation in NYC from August 30 - September 7.

Not that I'd hang out with a bunch of oldies like you. :p

Vera
07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I had a dream where me and you went to an AFI concert and were the only cool people there. It was special - and realistic, too, except I was wearing the dorkiest Offspring t-shirt. I'm surprised I didn't get beaten up. In the dream.

I don't mind uncomfortable shelter, I'm looking for cool hosts and like, FREE. Because I has $$$ but not enough for hotels.

Huzzah. Ricky plz to be serious. Can I room with you? Will you defend me from gangsters who my mum tells me make up 89% of NYC population??

ninthlayer
07-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Anyone??? Sean I thought you promised me you'd make it to NY if I was to ever come there. Don't betray my trust :(
With school starting and whatnot finances are tight and the time simply does not exist to allow for a trip to nyc. I plan on going sometime this winter, during break (any later than that and I think that Magdalena will either hate me forever or murder me).

Rag Doll
07-22-2007, 08:33 AM
i'd be willing to hang with you in nyc. i could probably host you for a night or two also. however, i live like...a half an hour or so outside of nyc. but if you want to see the famed jersey shore or jersey shore boardwalk, i'd be willing to take you there. so...uhm. yeah. i do have work and will be going back to school during that time, but yeah...

Sunny
07-22-2007, 09:51 AM
W I plan on going sometime this winter, during break (any later than that and I think that Magdalena will either hate me forever or murder me).

that's right! *glares*

JohnnyNemesis
07-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Huzzah. Ricky plz to be serious. Can I room with you? Will you defend me from gangsters who my mum tells me make up 89% of NYC population??

Serious about the lovemakin'? Hellz yeah, lololo.

I won't be able to letcha room with me because I'm still dorming it up at school/don't live at home anymore. But, I can definitely come hang out with you and stuff while you're in NYC and protect you from the gangstaz with my scrawny bod-ay.

Vera
07-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Sam, but there's a train connection or something else handy from your place to NYC, amirite?

I'mma get a passport tomorrow and then start looking for flights.. Magdalena, any of your plans formed more shape re: camping, Europe etc? I was thinking I could room with you folks half the time and half the time with somebody else (Sarah??).

Rag Doll
07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Sam, but there's a train connection or something else handy from your place to NYC, amirite?

there's a train (just hafta figure out exactly where in my town the drop off/pick up is)...i'd meet you in nyc though to make it easier. there's also a bus. and i could also attempt to pick you up in nyc. i've never driven in the city before, but hey, there's a first time for everything!

and i can definitely host you for a few days. i mentioned it to my mom the other day. she's like "whatever"...as long as you dont mind dogs/cats.

Vera
07-31-2007, 05:54 AM
That's great, Sam. Unfortunately I have trouble convincing my mum of even letting me stay with Magdalena - whom I've met and thus know that she's who she says she is etc etc. I gave her Magdalena's stats (lives in NYC with hubby, has a job, studied at top college etc etc) but she's still like BUT INTERNET PEOPLEZ IS RAPISTS.

Sigh.

I looked up flights and omfg, I can go to NYC for less than 500 euros. I didn't know travelling would be this affordable! Each of my paychecks is like 500 euros...

If I was not to room with net buddies for some irrational reason like my mother being extremely untrusting, it'd slice like 2,000 euros from my budget. Nuts.

aztecsun1
07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Just some seasoned advice, confirm everything, mark your dates on calendar- stick with them, also call & be in contact with the people you are going to stay wiyh & bring a credit card, traveler`s checks, & some cash, also, prepare for the worst, but expect the best, & never, ever underestimate the power of prayer. Hope you have a wonderful, exciting, endorphin-infused trip, take good care of yourself & be well. ;)

Vera
08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Um, thanks, random person. :)

Magdalena, plz to be replying to my PM. :(

JohnnyNemesis
08-07-2007, 03:02 PM
ya wtf y is my bed sanniless i wan sex now it is august?

Vera
08-08-2007, 03:08 PM
ya wtf y is my bed sanniless i wan sex now it is august?

Dude, I said SEPTEMBER. Sorrehhhh.

Well, Sarah, the way I see it, if it's free, I'll sleep next to the cinder or in a stash of hay if I have to. Or just that, well, if staying at Sunny's does not work out, I really don't want to spend 2,000 euros on rooming.

*cheapo*

nieh
08-08-2007, 03:46 PM
FYI, I'm going to be in Michigan at some unknown point during September.

Vera
08-13-2007, 06:55 AM
My heart is beating irregularily and fast.

I just booked my flights.

Helsinki(HEL), Finland
01.09.2007 / 07:45

London Heathrow(LHR), Uk
01.09.2007 / 09:00

London Heathrow(LHR), Uk
01.09.2007 / 11:00

New York Kennedy(JFK), Usa
01.09.2007 / 13:45

Return:

New York Kennedy(JFK), Usa
14.09.2007 / 17:55

Paris/charles De Gaulles(CDG), France
15.09.2007 / 07:25

Paris/charles De Gaulles(CDG), France
15.09.2007 / 10:50

Helsinki(HEL), Finland
15.09.2007 / 14:50

Question - does American Airlines absolutely fucking blow as an airline company? [/question I probably should've asked BEFORE booking the flight]

My mum is gonna KILL me.

ninthlayer
08-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Kind of hate you for not waiting for the winter, tbh.

JohnnyNemesis
08-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh man, I better stock up on condoms before September, amirite?

....please say i'm rite. i wanna be rite soooo bad :(

Vera
08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Kind of hate you for not waiting for the winter, tbh.

Sry. Me and Magdalena can call you, though. Or leave weird messages to your answerphone, whichever works best.

God, Ricky, you're such an internet perv.

JohnnyNemesis
08-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey! I'm just a perv who happens to be on the Internet :(

All I'm doing is following my Internet dream (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9mSKBgvHdoE). :( :(

Sunny
08-13-2007, 11:45 AM
wew wew!

ricky should come down from the poughkeepsieses and say hi2u2us.

JohnnyNemesis
08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
"the poughkeepsies"?! I'm gonna have to hug you just for that.

And yeah, I'ma gonna try to come down and be like "see, hi2u! i'm not so bad IRL (unless ninths and his sweet ass are around)", but it's always so hard to get away from this place once the semester starts :(

Sunny
08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
you better! rickyhugs=yes.

TheOldMark
08-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Long story short; I suck at life and Living at home drove me nuts, my mum drove me nuts, I was apathetic and feeling like crap in general.

You can come to new york and live it up like a faceless rodent. lots of tourists here, you'll fit in. However, if you use the word "mum" around a local, you will get beat up.

coke_a_holic
08-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Obv.

I punch anyone in the face who has an even remotely different accent from me. I expect people in New York to go for the face, then again in the stomach.

Seriously, what the fuck?

Vera
08-16-2007, 01:43 AM
And because the pronounciation difference between "mom" and "mum" couldn't be bigger!

I bet if I write "colour" instead of "color" on ANYTHING while in America, I will get killz0rzed. :(

ROFLMAO Mark. Let's not bump into each into while I'm there!

JohnnyNemesis
08-16-2007, 08:21 AM
You can come to new york and live it up like a faceless rodent. lots of tourists here, you'll fit in. However, if you use the word "mum" around a local, you will get beat up.

Yeah, New York doesn't take kindly to tourists. We're not used to them here.

...*headdesk*

Sunny
08-16-2007, 08:49 AM
we don't tolerate no faggotted "mum" bullshit here on the mean streetz of n-y-c!

*gang signs*

sKratch
08-16-2007, 09:12 AM
What is this faggotry?

Vera
08-16-2007, 10:01 AM
It's okay, Sunny housing is confirmed. If something major happens & I find myself somehow housing-less, I'll look into staying with Sam - I was actually just about to PM her about her #...

Can you come to Blaqk Audio gig with me, though?

JoY
08-22-2007, 02:39 AM
this whole situation is awful & rather awesome at the same time. I guess everything is settled then, so plans are coming closer & closer to being realised. too bad your flight won't make a stop in Amsterdam, chika.

Sanni? <33

Vera
08-22-2007, 04:23 AM
Well, my tickets haven't arrived on my door step yet - I'm getting kinda anxious since I did order them OVER a week ago, but I've got the booking number and they have charged my account so yeah, things are pretty much confirmed.

Excitement!

I know, would've been cool to drop by in Amsterdam. 3 hrs at Heathrow might be fun, too, though.

Vera
08-23-2007, 04:03 AM
I'm such a tool. No wonder my tickets haven't arrived - it's an e-ticket I have to print out. :(

Vera
08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Just to record the fact I'm the least fortunate person EVER: I've not had a cold since February and now suddenly I get one, two days before my exhausting flights.

My friend noted that I'm lucky as the US has the best cold medicine ever.. She promised to look up the name for me. So first stop after JFK? Pharmacy. :( *

* Of course gonna try to relax now etc so I won't be that sick this Saturday.

Sunny
08-30-2007, 08:57 AM
we have nyquil (liquid crack that knocks you out), dayquil (liquid crack with caffeine) and emergen-c (god's gift to earth), so have no fear. :D

oh and we decided we're picking you up by car after all. no weekend mass transit 4u!

Vera
08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Sweet! I'm going to go nurse my cold some more with the Finnish methods - relaxation & heated black currant juice.

Sunny
08-30-2007, 09:42 AM
that sounds good... also tea with lemon/honey maybe?

get better ass or i kill u :(

Vera
08-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I'll do my best. :D

Oh yeah, my friend just told me some horror stories of US flight security, which I hadn't thought of much yet.. So I guess it might take a while for me to go through all those after I land at JFK.

Sunny
08-30-2007, 11:31 AM
ya we kinda assumed you were gonna spend at least 40 minutes going through customs (long long lines for foreigners)... which sucks. :| i wouldn't worry though.

Vera
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Forty mins? Damn. :/

*prepares for the worst*

Izie
08-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Ha, try immigrating to Canadia. It took me approximately 3 hours to go through customs/immigration/whatnot. Welcome to North America!

See ya in NYC ;p

Vera
08-31-2007, 02:34 AM
I'll put that on my "things to do in New York" list... "Immigrate to Canada" - mmm.

Mom says I have to put all liquids in my suitcase into mini-grip bags. WTFFF. My shampoo's staying in its motherfucking bottle, thanks very much.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Mom says I have to put all liquids in my suitcase into mini-grip bags. WTFFF. My shampoo's staying in its motherfucking bottle, thanks very much.

Uh... unless you're joking, you're not supposed to put the actual liquid in the bag. Just put the bottles there. It's this new anti terrorist thing they're doing. Although it only applies to the hand luggage.

(am I a creepy stalker for reading this thread? ...probably)

Tizzalicious
08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
It also applies to lipgloss! And lipbalm even. To be save, put all your make up in the bag (you can only have one, not bigger than 1 litre), because one of my friend didn't and they threw ALL her make-up away, even the powdery stuff. Assholes.

But like Mannen said, that only applies to hand luggage.

Vera
08-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Psh, I'm not beauty-conscious enough to carry around my make up. :P It's going to the suitcase. Except maybe one tube of lipgloss and lipbalm (thanks to cold my lips are not looking their finest).

So putting them into the bag, that should be enough, right?

Tizzalicious
08-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Yupz, the lipbalm in the plastic bag and any other liquids that you might have too.

When they first introduced this rule I put everything liquid in my suitcase, but I didn't think about my lipbalm, so when they told me at the the airport, I had to go get a bag. I felt so ridiculous with that little bag with just a lipbalm, while other people have their entire toiletry-collection stuffed in there.

Sunny
08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
sanni, here's a chart of what/how much you can carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#1

generally though, it's 3oz or less in its original container put in a ziploc bag.

Vera
08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure I won't be needing facewash or toothpaste during/between my flights so yeah, I'm packing everything but the lipbalm/gloss.

Thanks for the link, Sunny. I'm browsing the whole item list now. What, I can't bring my cattleprod to an airplane? Facists!

Vera
08-31-2007, 02:02 PM
To bed now; wake up at 5 AM, YAY.

:/

Wish me luck.

Sunny
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
wew! i hope you have an ok flight and they give you more to eat than just pretzels!

do you have a cell phone that works in the US&A?

Vera
09-02-2007, 10:25 AM
do you have a cell phone that works in the US&A?

Turns out I don't.. :P But thankfully I got here alright.

sKratch
09-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't think I'll be able to... SCHOOOOOOOL.

Sunny
09-02-2007, 11:32 AM
;[ ;[ h8 u

Sunny
09-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Sanni's in the states!!! We need a meetup!

can you PM me yo numba? i lost it ;[

ninthlayer
09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
If there's a Sanni meet-up I fully expect a phone call.

Vera
09-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Hell yeah.

JoY
09-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I'll put that on my "things to do in New York" list... "Immigrate to Canada" - mmm.

no, no, you have to keep them out of your hand luggage.

trust me, I have experience with that shit. I didn't know about it either & because my suitcase was full, I put my shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, daycream, facewash & two bottles of body lotion in my hand luggage on my trip to Budapest. that's 7 big fat bottles of fluids. when I asked the guy if I could bring those things with me, he handed me one of those tiny plastic bags. then, when I said it wasn't quite going to fit in there, he asked me what I'd brought with me. I put on my blondest, most innocent & ignorant looking face & when I started naming everything, rambling about Herbal Essences ("you know, from the commercial! *runs hands through hair* mmmm!"), he decided I was a hopeless case, informed the rest & let me bring my things.

yay!

JoY
09-03-2007, 11:48 AM
omg, I am stupidz. everyone already explained & u is already in the States. omg!

HornyPope
09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I didn't know about it either & because my suitcase was full, I put my shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, daycream, facewash & two bottles of body lotion in my hand luggage on my trip to Budapest. that's 7 big fat bottles of fluids. when I asked the guy if I could bring those things with me, he handed me one of those tiny plastic bags. then, when I said it wasn't quite going to fit in there, he asked me what I'd brought with me. I put on my blondest, most innocent & ignorant looking face & when I started naming everything, rambling about Herbal Essences ("you know, from the commercial! *runs hands through hair* mmmm!"), he decided I was a hopeless case, informed the rest & let me bring my things.
That made me lol.