PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring.

Jakebert
07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I figured this could be fun, maybe lead to some lols, or even some epic lulz if this goes really well. Did you ever like the Offspring? Do you still? What caused you to stop liking them? Do you have any humorous Offspring stories? Would you like to rip on the Offspring for being lame? This is your thread.

I stopped listening to them because of my musical tastes evolving, and from being scared away from them based on the fans in the on-topic section. I'm actually afraid to go there a lot of times.

Also, maybe funny story: I used to be a member of the original Green Day forum, back when it was basically just a giant off-topic board and most of the people there didn't like Green Day, much like the off-topic section of this board. Well, when American Idiot came out, a lot of the people at the on-topic section of this board got incredibly jealous because no one likes the Offspring anymore, so they spammed the hell out of our board. Only to their surprise, they found that no one there gave a shit. Also, I believed it's that event that brought bd007h to our board, and he quickly became one of the board's most made-fun of people ever, and he tried to tell us that he was a respected memeber here. lol.

JohnnyNemesis
07-28-2007, 12:02 PM
As I read, I rolled my eyes about a million times a second (making fun of The Offspring in GC happens so often that it doesn't need its own thread).

But then I read this:

Also, I believed it's that event that brought bd007h to our board, and he quickly became one of the board's most made-fun of people ever, and he tried to tell us that he was a respected memeber here. lol.

And I damn near cried tears of joy.

Jakebert
07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I know it may not need it's own thread, but things are so slow here lately that I figure it can't hurt to try.

mrconeman
07-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree. It doesn't have to be directly aimed at Offspring lulz either, Jakeberts lulz were good, and not aimed at the band.

Unfortunately I myself can think of no lulz. But yes, I still like the band.
I got into them between Americana and CO1. I'll admit I did go through that obsessed phase for a bit, but I soon got over it, and they were my favourite band. I still listen to them, but it'd be like an album a month, or less these days, I'll still look forward to their latest stuff. I don't really take the band all that seriously anymore, they're just good fun.

Jakebert
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I never really got obsessively into them. They were in my top 5 for a while, but I wasn't "OMGZGREATESTBANDEVAR!" or anything like that. Now when I listen to them, I get BBS in-jokes stuck in my head. I onced giggled to myself while listening to "Gone Away".

nieh
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Yes, they were my favorite band in high school. I don't hate them now (though I'm not terribly fond of their last two albums or Smash aside from a couple songs on each) but I almost never listen to them anymore because there's a lot of bands I like a lot more. I don't have any crazy stories though, sadly.

coke_a_holic
07-28-2007, 12:36 PM
omg today i wore 1 of my offspring shirts and this kid see's it and bad mouths them. he said that there gay and suck and stuff and we got into this huge fight i kicked his ass dont worry and any way i thought id metion it cuz its been bugging me all day

i broke his arm and you might say offspring is his new favorite band

EDIT: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16147

JohnnyNemesis
07-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I get BBS in-jokes stuck in my head. I onced giggled to myself while listening to "Gone Away".

YESSS! "Gone Away" came on the radio and it just had a completely new meaning for me. The same has happened with "Amazed", and Linkin Park's "Crawling".

I was completely obsessed with The Offspring from late 1993 (when they hit the radio) right through 2000, even though I was so disappointed with Americana when it came out. Then it died down a bit, and The Offspring are just one of those bands I always say I love even though I never listen to 'em.

omg today i wore 1 of my offspring shirts and this kid see's it and bad mouths them. he said that there gay and suck and stuff and we got into this huge fight i kicked his ass dont worry and any way i thought id metion it cuz its been bugging me all day

This got my penis hard and I didn't even have to click the link for the reminder.

nieh
07-28-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16147

That fucker edited the post today.

JohnnyNemesis
07-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I was just gonna point that out. Fortunately, some people in the thread already quoted him. Lawlz.

Oh, and Sinister posted there too. Further lulz.

Harnum
07-28-2007, 01:30 PM
EDIT: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16147

My favorite post! (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=563194&postcount=7)

I used to really like the Offspring in grade 9. I was in the obsessing stage and it annoyed a few of my friends. I just stopped listening to them for probably the most common reason in this thread, I grew out of them and started to like new bands. I will sometimes (like, every few months) put on an Offspring album and rock out a little. But only once in a while. Ah, nostalgia.

jacknife737
07-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Meh, i’ve liked them since I was around 10 or so, and they are still my favourite band to this day. Granted I’m not listening to them on a daily basis, I usually go through a phase every once and a while where I’ll throw a couple offspring cd’s into my play list.

Side note: although I don’t really consider myself to be a “fanboy” or “ZoMG Offspring = Tru PUNX ANARKY!!!” I usually end up rolling my eyes at the amount of “hey lets ridicule the band” posts.

wheelchairman
07-28-2007, 02:08 PM
The Offspring were my favorite band since Pretty Fly. Which wasn't cool back in 2001 because that's when they became all commercial, seeing as they were a commercial success and all. So that wasn't a cool move on my part.

You all remember Mark? He used to run a website called OffspringFans.com which was all about the Offspring. He also had a section on individual fans. I remember his email address was also dexterholland@hotmail.com. Ironically he used to hate Offspring fans because they were punk-pussies and they made him look bad among his metal head colleagues.

Really I only like Americana anymore, and Splinter actually. The rest of it I usually find boring.

Harnum
07-28-2007, 02:08 PM
LOL @ sigg. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/member.php?u=2969) It's his birthday today and I saw his signature. I laughed a little.

coke_a_holic
07-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I was in love with the Offspring for two years, from age 13, when I got Splinter, through age 15. By then, though, I had realized that I stopped listening to them entirely in favor of more experimental music. The last time I purposefully listened to The Offspring was when I put on Pay The Man, which is still a damned good song. This was a few months ago. Ho hum.

JohnnyNemesis
07-28-2007, 02:21 PM
i broke his arm and you might say offspring is his new favorite band.

DeAtHsTaR
07-28-2007, 02:29 PM
he broke my arm and you might say offspring is my new favorite band :mad: :mad: :mad:

BustedKnuckles
07-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Where is Little Miss to give a sermon of respect for the band?:rolleyes:

Jakebert
07-28-2007, 03:17 PM
LM1565 is right in what she's doing though. Most of those posts in the on-topic section that she clashes with are just whiny babies who are mad because the Offspring are totally not trupunx. I'd make fun of them too.

Oh, and

Originally Posted by Sinister
everyone at my school thinks The Offspring suck, and they all like to make me feel bad about liking them... people at my school are a bunch of assholes. I wish I could just beat them up but that would get me into big trouble
and they dont get anything for constantly picking on me

Apathy
07-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I liked the offspring when I was 3-4 years old, when Smash came out. I claimed them as my favorite band until I was about 14, even though I stopped listening to them when I was about 12.

I enjoy them. I will probably buy the new album, and enjoy that as well. But they're not very... good.

Homer
07-28-2007, 03:44 PM
When did I get into The Offspring? Hm... I believe it was around 4 years ago when I was 12. I downloaded Pretty Fly because hey, it was just so awesome. Then after listening to it, I asked myself "I wonder what their other songs sound like?" So, I downloaded a couple more (pirate 4 lief) and they sounded hardly anything like Pretty Fly to my surprise, and I liked the sound. So... there you have it.

I did in fact go through a lite obsession stage, then I started to not listen to them as much anymore after I started listening to Bad Religion (lawl) and when I further delved deep in to the world that was punk rock, which was about 2 and a half years ago. I still listen to a couple of songs here and there from each album, but only when it comes on on the playlist.

Oh, and

I'm already doing that for the emo kids. theres a girl at my school who's really awfully emo ... so when I was going back home on my bike one day I saw her walking there. I slowed down next to her, screamed "EEEEMO!" so she'd hear it through the sound of mcr on her iPod. she screamed back "FUCK YOU!" while I sped off.

Does anyone else imagine Sinister wearing a helmet while riding his bike?

- -Lauren- -
07-28-2007, 04:27 PM
How I got into them? I was 12. I saw the Hit That music video on MTV. HAHAHAHAHA.

Pretty much got addicted to that song. Bought Splinter, became addicted. It was like a drug. You got addicted to one, it got old, so you tried a bigger and better one.

...Then you "go to rehab". I got out of it when I turned 15. I liked them, but they started fading away since my music tastes evolved. I used to only listen to them. Now I have a giant variety of music I listen to, and it just keeps growing.

killer_queen
07-28-2007, 04:57 PM
I used to like them and I still like them. My taste in music haven't changed a lot. And the stuff I like is so much better than The Offspring but you can't listen the same shit all the time. You want something different. And Offspring is fun and pretty much better than other pop-punk bands. Most of their songs make me want to learn to drive, get a car, open all of its windows and drive it veeeery fast. I can't see a reason why I should be ashamed of liking them.

Oh and, Me and My Old Lady is still one of my favourite songs. yes.

All About Eve
07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
I was similar to Mike, liking from Splinter on, although I started/stopped slightly younger than him. However, there was no arm breaking.

My penis broke when I found out other bands I was 'supposed to like' if I liked the Offspring, though. I stopped listening to them a lot when I realized that I was only still listening to them because I had nothing else, and didn't really like the genre a whole lot any more.

Harnum
07-28-2007, 07:38 PM
...Then you "go to rehab".
"They try to make me go to rehab, I say NO, NO, NO!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U)

ZagmenO
07-28-2007, 08:22 PM
The Offspring is the greatest band ever in the history of the universe!!!!!!!! That's right. I said it. Offspring is the bomb!!! No better band in the world. All of their songs just kick ass!

I got into them after hearing "The Kids Aren't Alright" on the radio. I was 16 when this happened. I bought Americana and...I just could not stop listening to them. I musta heard that album 200 times from July-November 2004. After several months, I bought Splinter. I heard "Hit That" on the radio and figured: "since I like Americana so dang much, why not give this other album a shot?" After hearing Splinter, I knew that The Offspring was the greatest band known to man. I got all their albums, their greatest hits, T-shirts, poster, other collectibles, eventually got all their B-sides, (that was just recently, actually.) The Offspring was a gateway to other bands such as Green Day, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, then I went onto some hard rock shit like Guns 'n Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Motley Crue, etcetcetc. Holy shit! Offspring opened the world of music to me.

The Offspring was, is, and forever will be...the greatest band of all time!!!!!!!

KEEP LIVING DUDES!!!! Even with the new drummer, Pete Marada, they will be just as awesome as they were with Ron & Atom.

wheelchairman
07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
"They try to make me go to rehab, I say NO, NO, NO!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U)

Going Back To Rehab by Sage Francis is infinitely better.

but I could only find a shitty live recording so I offer the lyrics posted by Sage himself. (http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34237&sid=083bbcf4822b08308b5c1574d33c2827)

ninthlayer
07-29-2007, 03:40 AM
I remember grooving to Keep 'Em Separated whenever that shit came out but never bought an album by the Offspring until Americana came out. For a while I listened to the band frequently (primarily Ixnay and was all "zomg, teen ANGST!". I bought Conspiracy of One in high school and wasn't a big fan, but still liked the band and wanted to eventually see them in concert.

I ended up watching the Offspring play like two songs at Warped Tour after they cut into Billy Idol's set (they opened with that song that's like "Okay, yeah yeah yeah yeah!", which was the one I'd always wanted to see them do). After they launched into on of the songs from Splinter (I'm assuming) I quickly lost interest and went to go see Reggie and the Full Effect play (again).

I can't even remember the last time I listened to the Offspring, to be perfectly honest.

zacsta
07-29-2007, 03:52 AM
I remember grooving to Keep 'Em Separated

:confused:

ninthlayer
07-29-2007, 04:51 AM
gb2tasmania, faggot

endlesst0m
07-29-2007, 07:16 AM
There's some bands I grow out of a little bit, but I never stop listening completely. I'll at least give them a listen every few months or so, even if it's just a few favorite songs. How in the world do you guys grow out of a band so much that you actually never listen to them, ever?

Trippy_
07-29-2007, 07:23 AM
The Offspring is the greatest band ever in the history of the universe!!!!!!!! That's right. I said it. Offspring is the bomb!!! No better band in the world. All of their songs just kick ass!

I got into them after hearing "The Kids Aren't Alright" on the radio. I was 16 when this happened. I bought Americana and...I just could not stop listening to them. I musta heard that album 200 times from July-November 2004. After several months, I bought Splinter. I heard "Hit That" on the radio and figured: "since I like Americana so dang much, why not give this other album a shot?" After hearing Splinter, I knew that The Offspring was the greatest band known to man. I got all their albums, their greatest hits, T-shirts, poster, other collectibles, eventually got all their B-sides, (that was just recently, actually.) The Offspring was a gateway to other bands such as Green Day, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, then I went onto some hard rock shit like Guns 'n Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Motley Crue, etcetcetc. Holy shit! Offspring opened the world of music to me.

The Offspring was, is, and forever will be...the greatest band of all time!!!!!!!

KEEP LIVING DUDES!!!! Even with the new drummer, Pete Marada, they will be just as awesome as they were with Ron & Atom.

Zag is so right. They are the greatest, dexter and noodles. <3

Paint_It_Black
07-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Loved them from about 15 to 18. I hadn't ever really heard anything like them before. Was pretty much obsessed for a while, then gradually found other stuff and moved on.

Americana got me into them. I heard 'Pretty Fly" and bought the album, suddenly discovering I didn't really listen to "Pretty Fly" much. I bought Ixnay a week later and loved it. I just kept working backwards from there. When Splinter came out my obsession was already waning due partly to CO1, and then Splinter killed it.

I still enjoy some of their older stuff very rarely.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Going Back To Rehab by Sage Francis is infinitely better.

but I could only find a shitty live recording so I offer the lyrics posted by Sage himself. (http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34237&sid=083bbcf4822b08308b5c1574d33c2827)

WCM, I saw a video on YouTube... and in my opinion, I like Amy Winehouse's better. It's so damn catchy but shitty all in the same sense!

For the record, I hate Amy Winehouse with an undying passion. She sounds like a 50 year old washed up black soul singer. I thought she was some 90's singer. It sounds like something from that time.

Jakebert
07-29-2007, 11:16 AM
There's some bands I grow out of a little bit, but I never stop listening completely. I'll at least give them a listen every few months or so, even if it's just a few favorite songs. How in the world do you guys grow out of a band so much that you actually never listen to them, ever?

It's pretty simple. Most people have things that they used to love but not can't stand to listen to.

Mannen som blev en gris
07-29-2007, 01:36 PM
It was like a drug. You got addicted to one, it got old, so you tried a bigger and better one.

I honestly thought this was some sort of a reference to Hit That and tried to sing it in my head. Then I realized that that's not how it goes at all... Well, the first sentence was almost correct.

Me and Teh Offsprungz:

Bought Americana after hearing Why Don't You Get a Job, was 7, they became my favourite band, realized they were no longer my favourite band when I was around 14 (ironically just a few weeks after I registered here...), still listen to a song or two whenever it comes up on my playlist. I was never that obsessed, but I used to write "The Offspring" or draw that little skull on some schoolbooks and stuff... And for a long time they were more or less the only thing I listened to.

wheelchairman
07-29-2007, 04:06 PM
WCM, I saw a video on YouTube... and in my opinion, I like Amy Winehouse's better. It's so damn catchy but shitty all in the same sense!

For the record, I hate Amy Winehouse with an undying passion. She sounds like a 50 year old washed up black soul singer. I thought she was some 90's singer. It sounds like something from that time.

Yeah the video sucks, download the song. He's a great artist, the first hip hop artist signed to Epitaph.

Back in the day, that would've been shameful for an Offspring fan to like, epitaph.

KyleW
07-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I'll admit I did go through that obsessed phase for a bit

Yeah, im still going through that, but i love it :D:D:D:D

Ithey opened with that song that's like "Okay, yeah yeah yeah yeah!".

I believe you are refferring to the song All I Want

coke_a_holic
07-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I broke his arm and you might say offspring is his new favorite band.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Back in the day, that would've been shameful for an Offspring fan to like, epitaph.

Epitaph is so not punx and the Offspring are! down wit epitaph!!1

Per, the song is downloading as we speak. Let's see if I like it.

Betty
07-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I really enjoyed the singles off Smash when they came out but never really pursued the band (but I wasn't really into into music at this point). When I was about 15 I babysat this 11 or so year old who was absolutely OBSESSED with the Offspring. I think his dad got him into them. So that combined with hearing The Kids Aren't Alright on Much Music got me hooked. Never actually bought Americana for a while. Got Ixnay, then Smash, then Ignition, then S/T, then the newer ones in the appropriate order. I was obsessed obsessed for a good few years. I still like the band and they get a little more play time than most of the punk rock albums I own (which is still about half my collection of 300 or so CDs).

I've made this connection before, but mostly my friends don't make fun of me if the issue comes up cause they were all around when Smash got big and so most of them recognize them for that (one of the greatest popular punk rock/rock albums ever). Although every once in a while people will recognize the band for Pretty Fly, or worse, some of their newer attempts at Hit Singles.

I've had some pretty ridiculous Offspring-road-trip-related adventures and misadventures.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I've had some pretty ridiculous Offspring-road-trip-related adventures and misadventures.

Ooh, do tell more. Misadventures sound exciting.

DeAtHsTaR
07-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Atom backwards is mota.

mrconeman
07-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Pete backwards is Etep.

nieh
07-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Oh right, I never said how I got into them. When Smash first came out I used to steal my brother's copy and listen to it every now and then (I wasn't really into music at the time so I never bought any albums. I did the same thing with the blue album by Weezer, Dookie by Green Day and I think even one of his Primus albums a couple of times). I forgot about them for a few years and then got into them when Pretty Fly came out, not realizing it was the same band, and was convinced into getting Americana by my friend and then went back and got everything else and was incredibly obsessed for a while. They were the band that got me into music in general, so I still have kind of a soft spot for them even if I don't think they're all that amazing like I used to.

wheelchairman
07-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Per, the song is downloading as we speak. Let's see if I like it.
so....verdict?

Harnum
07-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Oh, shit. Sorry Per. Haha! It was actually quite good. I liked it a lot, even though hip-hop isn't my type of music. It's not bad at all.

EDIT: aaaand my computer just crapped out on me. I can't find the file anymore. Can you upload it for me? I liked it and my computer is fucking retarded.

wheelchairman
07-30-2007, 08:06 AM
I bought it off of itunes (Coca Cola Denmark has a campaign where it's a free song per bottle cap), so it might not be possible. Just a sec, I'll see if I can help you though.

Harnum
07-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Sure thing.

EDIT: Nevermind! I found it! This fucktard of a computer is so fucking fucked.

Jebus
07-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I got into them when I heard a couple songs from Americana sometime during middle school. I think they were pretty fly and TKAA. I wasn't heavily into music back then so I think I just ended up choosing them as my favorite band since I didn't know many and eventually became obsessed with them. Of course, those were were what I call my "kroq" years where I pretty much like most things on that radio station. Later on I discovered a magical thing called the internet and also started playing guitar which help me to expand my musical tastes. By the end of 11th grade, I pretty much completely stopped listening to them, but had already gotten addicted to this board so I continue posting here.