PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's Music Thought of the Night.

Jakebert
07-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I was looking at my CD collection the other day, and realized that I only have a handful of greatest hits compilations. I'm just not huge on them, because not only do I like the flow of a full album, but I can't think of too many bands that don't have a few of those underrated hidden gems that get ignored by the people making those compilations.

There's only one band that I can think of (that I call myself a fan of) that doesn't really have those hidden gems: the Doors. I have 3 Doors albums and a greatest hits collection, and I almost never listen to the actual albums because all of the best songs from them are on the comps. The album tracks aren't forgotten gems, they're just forgotten. Can anyone else think of any bands like that?

Mannen som blev en gris
07-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I have one Greatest Hits album and that's Deep Purple's "Singles A's & B's", which was the first album I got so I didn't really think about it being a greatest hits collection... But, according to LastFM, it's the album I've listened to the most, so I obviously really like it. But I'm generally against buying greatest hits albums because of the hidden gems you speak of. And if I end up really liking the band, I'll usually buy the rest of the albums anyway, and then that greatest hits one will be pretty useless... It always feels nicer to have a "real" album too.

But, to answer your question, no, I can't think of any bands without hidden gems.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I have Faith No More's greatest hits album. They're not one of my favorite bands, but every now and then they'd come out with a terrific song, most of which are on the comp, including "From Out of Nowhere," "Midlife Crisis," "A Small Victory," and their masterful cover of "Easy." I hate all the songs towards the end of the comp, but that's just because I hate just about all of the songs towards the end of their career and it's chronological.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
07-29-2007, 01:42 PM
I shouldn't say they have no hidden gems, but I have plenty of Green Day abums, but I prefer listening to their greatest hits compilation instead. I mean, there's probably less than six songs that I like that isn't on that CD.

And I might even include Red Hot Chili Peppers. Almost of their pre-Stadium Arcadium music I listen to, is on their greatest hits.

All About Eve
07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
I shouldn't say they have no hidden gems, but I have plenty of Green Day abums, but I prefer listening to their greatest hits compilation instead. I mean, there's probably less than six songs that I like that isn't on that CD.

And I might even include Red Hot Chili Peppers. Almost of their pre-Stadium Arcadium music I listen to, is on their greatest hits.
I agree on both accounts.

I enjoy Better than Ezra's greatest hits as well, although they have some unrleased songs on it/redone versions. Also, my favorites on it I don't have the actual cd for. It flows as well as any full album does however, and is actually very solid, which is why I listen quite frequently

Jakebert
07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
When I still listened to Green Day on a regular basis, I found it to be the other way around. I hated most of their singles, but really liked the actual album tracks.

Endymion
07-29-2007, 02:00 PM
the only greatest hits i have is queen. the newer one with bohemian rhapsody, not the old one which for some reason doesn't have it.

mrconeman
07-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Queen is a band I could survive only hearing their singles.

coke_a_holic
07-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Word, I have the monster 3-CD Queen Greatest Hits, which is awesome, and never even bothered buying any of their actual cds. Other than that... uh, nothing comes to mind. I have a couple mixes of some bands that my friends burned for me, but that's it.

Forza
07-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Without fully reading it I was going to say: The Doors. The greatest hits, okay, it has nearly 40 songs, really contains all you need from the Doors. But you already said that before I could even try to.

Can't think of any others. Forty Licks, for example, misses some songs I really like. Songs like Dead Flowers, Sway, Love In Vain and Jigsaw Puzzle

Mannen som blev en gris
07-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh right, Queen. My mom has one of their greatest hits things and I never bothered getting anything else.

Llamas
07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I disagree on the RHCP and green day accounts, but fully agree about Queen. I have Classic Queen/Greatest hits... and then like 6 other albums. I never listen to the other 6 albums, because their hits really were the best.

I also feel this way about REO speedwagon. I have other albums of theirs, and will occassionally listen, but it's mostly just the greatest hits that are the best.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I bought the Nirvana greatest hits CD a while back, and I'd rather listen to that than the rest of their stuff. I don't find much else interesting on their albums.

EDIT: The Offspring, when I liked them, was a case of hidden gems. A lot of the songs I liked were on the Albums and not on Greatest Hits. Only a handful of the songs I liked were on the greatest hits. I liked more on the albums than on that compilation.

mrconeman
07-29-2007, 04:38 PM
The only Nirvana album I can still listen to is Unplugged.
It's nice.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Unplugged in NY? I have it right beside me. *looks at sister's album collection* She was really into a lot of rock in the 90's. From Nirvana, to G'n'R, to Bon Jovi. She listened to all of it. My sister listens to some better music than I do. :(

coke_a_holic
07-29-2007, 05:13 PM
You know you're doing it wrong when Nirvana and Guns n Roses > The bands you listen to.

Appetite for Destruction is an awesome cd, but Guns n Roses have never done anything worthwhile since then. Nirvana.... no thanks.

EDIT: Oh, and how can people still stomach an entire Green Day cd? I like the singles so much more than the other stuff because everything sounds identical except for the radio hits, which all sound identical, but on a higher plane than the other stuff. If that makes sense.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
You know you're doing it wrong when Nirvana and Guns n Roses > The bands you listen to.

Well, Guns n Roses are pretty much a joke now and Kurt Cobain is dead. Ok, those were bad examples. Some other things she listened to "back in the day" were actually pretty cool. She's since turned to listening to mainstream hip-hop stuff that I don't like, so my music is now victorious. Geez, thanks Mike for pointing it that I'm wrong. Pfft..

coke_a_holic
07-29-2007, 05:27 PM
http://static.blog.orgday.org/wp-content/images/galleries/gallery_8/wrong2.jpg

JohnnyNemesis
07-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Some of Nirvana's best songs are missing from their greatest hits collection. Negative Creep, School, Love Buzz, Stay Away, Territorial Pissings, Very Ape, etc. I'd say you're missing out, Harnum.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Some of Nirvana's best songs are missing from their greatest hits collection. Negative Creep, School, Love Buzz, Stay Away, Territorial Pissings, Very Ape, etc. I'd say you're missing out, Harnum.

Eh, probably. I'm not a huge fan, but anything I find worth listening to is on Greatest Hits. I probably need to be introduced to more.

coke_a_holic
07-29-2007, 05:49 PM

I had Territorial Pissings stuck in my head today. Love Buzz and a few songs off of In Utero are awesome, but otherwise, I find Nirvana relatively boring. Nevermind is the most overrated cd fucking ever. Except for the entire Red Hot Chili Peppers' discography.

Fact: Nirvana as a band is better than Kurt Cobain was as a person.

Harnum
07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Kurt Cobain was fucking stupid. There is a bunch of people who look up to him in my school. He's quite the role model, with all the drugs and such and the part-retarded wife.

Ninty Man
07-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Kurt Cobain was fucking stupid. There is a bunch of people who look up to him in my school. He's quite the role model, with all the drugs and such and the part-retarded wife.

THANX GOD... there'e intelligent people after all in this planet

I have only green day's, quiet riot, offspring and... Legend from bob marley..., oh and queen V3 hits... they're quite good XD

drex878
07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I hardly own any greatest hits albums either.

The reasons why I bought Offspring's Greatest Hits is one, the dual disc extras and "Can't Repeat, and two, I support the band by buying all their albums.

Betty
07-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Most of the classic rock albums I own are greatest hits compilations. The problem is for the most part I haven't heard full albums by most of the bands and therefore could not say whether they are full of hidden gems or no.

One band I'd put in that category would be Sloan (whom nobody will know...). Every single they release is incredible. Their albums incredibly meh. I bought a Singles compilations thingy and it's really, really good.

I used to be in love with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits and then I heard a few albums, and boy was I missing out. Now that I own about 5 or 6 albums, I can consider myself a true fan.

Autonomist
07-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Nirvana wrote good songs?

mrconeman
07-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Appetite for Destruction is an awesome cd, but Guns n Roses have never done anything worthwhile since then.
I hear this so much, and while I agree that Appetite is quite a lot better than anything they ever did since (mostly because it was the full original band) there is alot of stuff on the Illusion albums that I really can't disregard, there's some really solid and just generally really fuckin' good songs on there.

Yes.

THANX GOD... there'e intelligent people after all in this planet

The first and third words proves you aren't one of them.

Nirvana wrote good songs?
Sometimes very good ones.

Harnum
07-30-2007, 06:55 AM
Yes.

lawlz, I get the simple 'Yes.'

But really, why the hell look up to Kurt Cobain of all people? Go look up to a sports player or at least a sensible musician who isn't dead because of drugs, alcohol, guns, and just plain retardedness.

Jakebert
07-30-2007, 09:37 AM
But really, why the hell look up to Kurt Cobain of all people? Go look up to a sports player or at least a sensible musician who isn't dead because of drugs, alcohol, guns, and just plain retardedness.

Yeah, they should look up to people like Michael Vick!

But seriously, athletes are just as fucked up as any other celebrities. They just get a free pass by the press because they can throw a ball.

Just so this isn't off topic: I also think that pre-Revolver Beatles could fall into "no hidden gems". Most of their non singles during that period were covers or forgettable. The only one I can think of that may be a hidden gem is "I'm a Loser", which I think was on a single anyway.

All About Eve
07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't like the Beatles, so I can't say anything there. But I do want to say that Michael Jackson's "Number Ones" Is one of my favorite cds ever. I know he has some really good non hit songs, but his hits on that CD are just amazing. "Smooth Criminal", "Beat It", "Bad", "Thriller", "Man in the Mirror", "Dirty Diana" (my favorite)... the list just goes on.

JohnnyNemesis
07-30-2007, 11:22 AM
What makes me lol most heartily about people who look up to Kurt Cobain is that they condemn rappers. LOL!

Jakebert
07-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I totally read that as "condom rappers" and assumed you spelled "wrappers" wrong.

Harnum
07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
I totally read that as "condom rappers" and assumed you spelled "wrappers" wrong.

Seconded.

Jakebert, I guess you're right about the whole athlete thing. Ok, to sum it all up. Someone who isn't Kurt Cobain or acts like him/does what he did. Now, back to topiczzz.

Homer
07-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I was so close to buying Primus' "They Can't All Be Zingers" album. But then I decided "Hey, what if I end up buying their CDs? Then the Hits album will be useless." So... yeah, I didn't buy it.

Also, yes, I have just recently discovered Primus. A little late on my part.

Apathy
07-31-2007, 09:01 PM
I was so close to buying Primus' "They Can't All Be Zingers" album. But then I decided "Hey, what if I end up buying their CDs? Then the Hits album will be useless." So... yeah, I didn't buy it.

Exactly. I never buy Greatest Hits albums because I always end up reasoning with myself that If I actually like the band, buying their other cd's becomes less fun because I've already got 2-3 of the songs in most cases.

endlesst0m
07-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Greatest Hits are a good way to get into a band really fast. Sometimes I hear a band I think I'll like, and I don't wanna wait at all to get to know thier songs. It's like I just wanna know all thier best songs as soon as fucking possible. I just like listening to songs I already know WAY more than listening to new music for some reason. It keeps me from getting around to a lot of new music.

coke_a_holic
07-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I also have Frank Zappa's Strictly Commercial cd because I own 2 of his cds (Freak Out! and We're Only In It For the Money) and didn't want to wade through 75 cds to find the other really good stuff.

jacknife737
07-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Greatest Hits are a good way to get into a band really fast.

Exactly, they point you in the direction of which albums you'll want to start off with, like when i picked up Green Day's International Superhits, i bought Nimrod and Dookie first, as i seemed to like those songs a little better.

JohnnyNemesis
08-01-2007, 06:29 AM
The Pet Shop Boys singles collection was all kinds of fucking awesome, by the way.

All About Eve
08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I want a Tay Zonday greatest hits.