PDA

View Full Version : Hey you!

Lodat225
08-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I got into this argument with my friend because he was saying Weed is not addictive, nor harmful. Is it? I thought it wasn't, but he brought up good points. Is it harmful to the body, and/or addictive?

JohnnyNemesis
08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
It's only relatively harmless. Compared to most other substances, it's nothin'. But it's not exactly perfect for your health either.

Sunny
08-02-2007, 11:10 AM
well, inhaling smoke of any type is not exactly good for your lungs. you can minimize the toxicity by using a vaporizer, but yeah. still.

it's still pretty much harmless compared to alcohol and other drugs.

0r4ng3
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
A negative effect is that, well, see for yourself.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25131

JohnnyNemesis
08-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Fuck you, Jesse, I was just about to do that!

Andy
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
As with anything, its danger depends on how much and how often you have.

Mart2Play
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM
I got into this argument with my friend because he was saying Weed is not addictive, nor harmful. Is it? I thought it wasn't, but he brought up good points. Is it harmful to the body, and/or addictive?

Smoking the weed fucks up your head, causes mental illness you see...read the other day that smoking it once increases bocoming scitsofrenic(sp?) by %40!!! ...and that just after ONE joint! I know it messed me up a bit(i dont do it no more though)....smoking weed is only harmless if your life is already fucked up.

Sunny
08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
um, wow, seems like that one joint messed you up pretty bad.

nieh
08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
smoking it once increases bocoming scitsofrenic(sp?) by %40!!!

Schizophrenic. And no, it doesn't. You might be thinking of LSD which has a chance of triggering schizophrenia but there's no way that's true of weed, at least not anywhere near the extent that you claim.

JohnnyNemesis
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Does anyone else think of this song (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LWDGbBGiXuM) when they see the title of this thread?

All About Eve
08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Actually they realesed a study recently that proves that even infrequent users of weed have a fairly significant increase chance of psychosis, wich schizophrenia being of the main things with it.

killer_queen
08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I've seen a couple of episodes of Weeds and found it amusing. I wish I had time to see all episodes. It really looked like something I'd love. And yeah, I like saying something even though I've got nothing to say.

mrconeman
08-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I've seen a couple of episodes of Weeds and found it amusing. I wish I had time to see all episodes. It really looked like something I'd love. And yeah, I like saying something even though I've got nothing to say.

I was totally about to do that!

nieh
08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Actually they realesed a study recently that proves that even infrequent users of weed have a fairly significant increase chance of psychosis, wich schizophrenia being of the main things with it.

a) 40% after one joint? No way.
b) are they sure it's a cause and effect thing and not anything like if someone has psychological disorder, they're more likely to start doing drugs than someone that doesn't?
c) is it unbiased and not just an attempt to squash the idea that marijuana is a 'safe' drug?
d) links?

All About Eve
08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
a) 40% after one joint? No way.
b) are they sure it's a cause and effect thing and not anything like if someone has psychological disorder, they're more likely to start doing drugs than someone that doesn't?
c) is it unbiased and not just an attempt to squash the idea that marijuana is a 'safe' drug?
d) links?
a) 40% after one joint, no. I don't know the specific numbers, but that's a big overstatement.
b) Yeah, it develops farther down the line
c) There were statements by doctors, clinical study proofs, etc, so I assume so
d) No link, unfortunately. I saw it while browsing on the internet on my friend's phone the other day.

mrconeman
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I did actually see the same article, I can't remember if it was in the news paper or online, but I didn't actually read past the 40% remark, I just thought "bullshit" and left it alone.

BREAK
08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Of course it's harmful and addictive, just not by much. Try it yourself.

Sunny
08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
well, from what i've read, young adults genetically predisposed to have schizophrenia can experience earlier onset of the disease caused by cannabis use.
apparently those people happen to have (in addition to their predisposition for mental illness) malfunctioning cannabinoid receptors.

nieh
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM
b) Yeah, it develops farther down the line

The thing about most psychological disorders is that they tend to only get disagnosed in the mid to late teens or even into the person's 20s and mostly come from genetic predispositions which gets triggered by their environment. A lot of people have minor symptoms long before they ever progress to the point that anyone could diagnose them. I'd have to actually find some info on the study before I say anything for sure but it seems like a sketchy claim. I'm not denying that long term use would probably have these effects, but I find it difficult to believe that such minor use can have that strong of a permanent effect when you take into account just how many people there are that have casually smoked pot and ended up fine. Introducing a completely new substance to the body CAN throw your chemistry a bit out of whack but that's normally temporary and works itself out sometime after the substance leaves, unless the presence of that substance is enough to trigger your predisposition to whatever disorder you end up with.

Great Mike
08-02-2007, 02:38 PM
A study concluded that sustained early-adolescent cannabis use among genetically predisposed individuals has been associated with a variety of mental illness outcomes, ranging from psychotic episodes to clinical schizophrenia.

From wikipedia.

Harnum
08-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Does anyone else think of this song (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LWDGbBGiXuM) when they see the title of this thread?

I actually though of this one (http://youtube.com/watch?v=5iClh73JIkM&mode=related&search=) for some fucked up reason.

All About Eve
08-02-2007, 04:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-9P3ZQaUC_k

...lol

XYlophonetreeZ
08-02-2007, 04:43 PM
How is it that "Hey You" brings to mind all these obscure songs and not Pink Floyd? You people are weird.

ZagmenO
08-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Because I got high! Because I got high! Because I got high!!! Yadadadadadada... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=305vRNoofr8)

sKratch
08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I greatly increased the amount I smoked this semester and my GPA went up. Go figure.

JohnnyNemesis
08-02-2007, 05:25 PM
How is it that "Hey You" brings to mind all these obscure songs and not Pink Floyd? You people are weird.

I, for one, actively avoided that one.

nieh
08-02-2007, 05:35 PM
That was the first song that came to my mind, but I've never been a fan of it. That whole album is pretty weak aside from couple songs.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-9P3ZQaUC_k

I clicked on that link at 6:30, and stayed on YouTube until just now, and it's 7:45. Is there something wrong with me?

XYlophonetreeZ
08-02-2007, 07:16 PM
It's not my favorite song or anything. It's OK. Meh. I just know it's a well-known song and thought it would be the first to come to people's minds.

FrancoDaHui
08-02-2007, 07:42 PM

holy crap....that was fucking amazing

i love you JN

Mart2Play
08-03-2007, 03:09 AM
um, wow, seems like that one joint messed you up pretty bad.

Thx for your concern...

Yeah, schizophrenia a disorder from psychosis....by the way here is the link for that article where i got my information earlier.
>>Believe it or not (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19980923/wid/11915773?gt1=10150)<<

nieh
08-03-2007, 06:17 AM
"The researchers said they couldn’t prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis, a category of several disorders with schizophrenia being the most commonly known.

There could be something else about marijuana users, “like their tendency to use other drugs or certain personality traits, that could be causing the psychoses,” Zammit said.

"Scientists cannot rule out that pre-existing conditions could have led to both marijuana use and later psychoses, he added."

The article says pretty much everything I tried to say earlier. And it never says smoking it once increases your chances by 40%, it says "infrequent use" which it never defines. It also says that even after the increase in odds, it's still incredibly unlikely anything will happen. 0.5% of people are expected to become schizophrenic, raising that by 40% leaves you with a 0.7% chance. It says that "heavy users" risks can increase by up to 50-200% and even with that thrown in, they only think about 800 new cases of schizophrenia would be able to be prevented by not using marijuana (I'm not sure how .25% of a few million people is only 800, but I digress).
Nobody believe marijuana is 100% safe except for the people that have already had their brains fried by it like Mark Bryan, but most of the anti-pot things out there are ridiculous. Hell, people exposed to cat feces (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060125082853.htm) are more likely to become schizophrenic too, maybe people should start preaching against the sale of cats?

Wolfbutter
08-03-2007, 06:34 AM
You people might as well face it: Marijuana is not good for you and should not be done. It is normal to argue that it's not "that bad", but that's just part of the problem.

mrconeman
08-03-2007, 07:06 AM

That's exactly what I thought of. Just like I did the last time a "Hey You!" thread was made.

Great Mike
08-03-2007, 07:53 AM
You people might as well face it: Marijuana is not good for you and should not be done. It is normal to argue that it's not "that bad", but that's just part of the problem.

You mean abusing Marijuana is not good for your health.
What's good or bad for you depends on what are you looking for. If you want to be an athlet ist's bad, if you just want to relax/laugh/get inspiration Marijuana works wonders. I'm not saying it's okay to be allways high, but when you do it in mesure it can be even healthy.

Offspring-Junkie
08-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Yeah, healthy, that's the word I was looking for. Abuse is unhealthy, but if you do it with measure it's even healthy. You wish! You know what? It's healthy to get drunk, did you know that? But only if you're drunk in measure! The same goes with cocain and heroine!

H1T_That
08-04-2007, 04:19 AM
I miss MB420.

Great Mike
08-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Yeah, healthy, that's the word I was looking for. Abuse is unhealthy, but if you do it with measure it's even healthy. You wish! You know what? It's healthy to get drunk, did you know that? But only if you're drunk in measure! The same goes with cocain and heroine!

Why don't you try to get some information from an objective source? If you trust wikipedia you can read Cannabis' article and/or cannabis effects. In some situations and with measure it can be even heathy (similar to a medicine).

Wolfbutter
08-04-2007, 06:22 AM
There are other, better and healthier ways to relax. The point is to never try it so you won't know what it feels like.

Great Mike
08-04-2007, 06:32 AM
There are other, better and healthier ways to relax. The point is to never try it so you won't know what it feels like.

I don't share this point of view. I'm not one of those who try everything at leat once; but there are quite a few things that you should experiment with before you get a solid opinion about it.

HeadAroundU
08-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Hey You, more like NO DOUBT! Bitches.

Oh, and drugs are bad.

Jakebert
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't see why you guys are believin' that pot is bad for smokin'. If you look here www.potisfuckingawesome.com/proofthatpotrawks you'd be seein' that pot is good for you. It's even curin' cancer www.seanhannity.com/hatemecixans. You guys are totally hatin' while I'm givin' you all the proof you need www.myspace.com/dtoxrockers.

ZagmenO
08-04-2007, 10:48 AM
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/shit.gif

ruroken
08-21-2007, 10:26 PM
My focus increases when I smoke weed.

How come nobody has mentioned how there are many types of weed? Shouldn't that be taken into consideration?

All About Eve
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Holy shit I love Jakebert.

Szandi
08-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Hey You, more like NO DOUBT! Bitches.

Oh, and drugs are bad.

Oh no........... :-)