PDA

View Full Version : I need to shoot someone.

nieh
08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Someone at work just got an order for Carlos Mencia. After announcing this, EVERYONE AROUND ME simultaneously started proclaiming how much they love him and how hysterical he is. I feel dirty for just being here.

Jack the Tripper
08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Carlos Mencia is one of the greatest comedians ever.

JohnnyNemesis
08-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Looking at that last post, at least now we know who the "someone" in the thread's title should refer to.

All About Eve
08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Wow, nieh... I'm... so sorry. Is there anything I can do? Besides, you know, being shot and all that.

Mota Boy
08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Just this morning I mentioned to a friend of mine that I've never heard anyone say something like "Oh boy, I just can't get enough of Carlos Mencia!", to which she replied "Yeah, there's only one person I know who likes 'Mind of Mencia'... and I hate him."

I'd really hate to pop up in whatever alternate universe you're currently residing, where he's apparently considered a comic genius.

nieh
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM
The other day, one of these people also claimed that The Day After Tomorrow was an amazing movie.

ZagmenO
08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
If you ain't laughin'... you ain't livin'!!!

Jakebert
08-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I've always found situations like this interesting. There's a general feeling that Mencia sucks, yet his show is still incredibly popular. Of course, everyone knows that it's 13 year olds who watch it, but still it's interesting.

All About Eve
08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Of course, everyone knows that it's 13 year olds who watch it
And Dain.

ZagmenO
08-02-2007, 05:01 PM
And me

nieh
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
And the 24-30 year olds I work with.

Jack the Tripper
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
And everyone in High School.

Apathy
08-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Just this morning I mentioned to a friend of mine that I've never heard anyone say something like "Oh boy, I just can't get enough of Carlos Mencia!", to which she replied "Yeah, there's only one person I know who likes 'Mind of Mencia'... and I hate him."

I'd really hate to pop up in whatever alternate universe you're currently residing, where he's apparently considered a comic genius.

Everyone I know loves him, and it sickens me. Of course, a large percentage of the people I know are currently attending high school.

The only good thing to come from Carlos Mencia is the video of him exposed as a complete shithead by Joe Rogan and various other comedians for stealing jokes.

Jakebert
08-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Not true. The majority of the people I knew in high school hated him. I've met very few people outside of the internet that actually think he's funny.

All About Eve
08-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm in highschool and I hate him. The only ones in my school that like him are the dumb Hispanics and wanna be dumb Hispanic white guys.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Actually this is almost true. I think I'm the ONLY person in my high school that doesn't like him. Most people love him, some people like him, and few have never heard of him. But I have yet to hear someone else in my school say he sucks.

Homer
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm lucky. No one here knows who he is.

Betty
08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I was just gonna say... is it a bad thing if I don't know who this guy is?

Homer
08-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Actually, it's better for everyone to not know who he is.

God, I love Canada.

0r4ng3
08-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I think in my case, most people I know have forgotten about him already. So if anyone does like him, I don't have a clue. As it should be.

mrconeman
08-03-2007, 08:19 AM
I have an E-buddy, who I secretly kind of hate, that always has Mencia quotes in his name, and lists Mencia as his favourite comedian on his myspace. It only adds to the hate :(

H1T_That
08-04-2007, 03:23 AM
I agree with whoever said his best work was being exposed as a fraud by Joe Rogan.

zacsta
08-04-2007, 09:49 PM
ive never heard of him.

Paint_It_Black
08-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Come on guys, I know this is cliche, but ever since Bush got re-elected I don't understand how the stupidity of average people can ever again be truly surprising. Yes, anyone who counts hates Mencia. Yes, he's wildly popular anyway.

nieh
08-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah, but I live in NJ which is known for being a blue state. There's no chance of me ever being completely surrounded by people shouting "I voted for Bush!" even though I know a small handful of people in the office that did.

Ryder1234
08-05-2007, 08:03 PM
God, I love Canada.

woot Canada!!!!!

DAVE CHAPELLE!!1!!!!!11!1!!!111! lol go victoria

Nina
08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
The other day, one of these people also claimed that The Day After Tomorrow was an amazing movie.

that's all I need to know to consider the value of their opinion.

Sin Studly
08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
First, I gotta say this ; I don't care how much you like Newsradio ; Joe Rogan is an idiot, a self-aggrandising liar, and a shitty comedian.

That being said, I actually watched a Mencia routine on youtube to see what the big deal was, and I'm not ashamed to say I got a few chuckles from it. But yeah, if all a comedian can give you in a 10 minute routine is a few chuckles, he's a shitty comedian.

Still, he could be worse. He could be Billy Connolly.

edit ; And The Day After Tomorrow was amazing. Amazingly shitty.

Dr.evil
08-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Who's he??????

sKratch
08-08-2007, 09:29 AM
That being said, I actually watched a Mencia routine on youtube to see what the big deal was, and I'm not ashamed to say I got a few chuckles from it. But yeah, if all a comedian can give you in a 10 minute routine is a few chuckles, he's a shitty comedian.

The real annoyance with him, for me at least, stems from the fact that EVERY SINGLE ROUTINE HE DOES is "lol mexiancs lol black people lol white people."

JohnnyNemesis
08-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Comedian: Yo, check this out: black guys drive a car like this.
[Leans back, as though his elbow were on the windowsill]
Do, do, ch. Do-be-do, do-be-do-be-do.
Yeah, but white guys, see, they drive a car like this.
[Hunches forward, talks nasally]
Dee-da-dee, a-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee.
[Audience howls with laughter]
Homer: Ah ha ha, it's true, it's true! We're so lame!

nieh
08-08-2007, 11:09 AM
The real annoyance with him, for me at least, stems from the fact that EVERY SINGLE ROUTINE HE DOES is "lol mexiancs lol black people lol white people."

And the fact that when he doesn't get laughs, he claims it's because he's too edgy when in fact his jokes are just stale and predictable. And the fact that he occasionally tries to get 'philosophical', if that's the best word for it, and ends up sounding like a naive 15 year old stoner. Those are the things that put him past being just forgettably bad and into the realm of obnoxiously bad.

Mota Boy
08-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Come on guys, I know this is cliche, but ever since Bush got re-elected I don't understand how the stupidity of average people can ever again be truly surprising. Yes, anyone who counts hates Mencia. Yes, he's wildly popular anyway.
Yes, but the people who re-elected Bush, as a rule, hate Hispanics, so in Mencia fans we see an entirely different slice of idiocy.

Sin Studly
08-09-2007, 04:59 AM

Well, I think the obvious problem there is that you've watched more than one of his routines.

Why the fuck would you do such a thing?

Jakebert
08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
And the fact that when he doesn't get laughs, he claims it's because he's too edgy when in fact his jokes are just stale and predictable. And the fact that he occasionally tries to get 'philosophical', if that's the best word for it, and ends up sounding like a naive 15 year old stoner. Those are the things that put him past being just forgettably bad and into the realm of obnoxiously bad.

That's the thing that annoys me more than anything else. He's developed this huge defense mechanism to make up for the fact that nothing he says is remotely original or funny, and people buy it, because if someone on stage tells them something, it must be true.

To quote Jerry Seinfeld: "There's no such thing as a bad audience. If they don't laugh, it's your fault, not their fault."

ZagmenO
08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
That's the one flaw he has. He'll either say they weren't laughing because it was too edgy, or because the audience is too stupid to get the joke.

Other than that, he's awesome!!!

WebDudette
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
It's amazing how much someones taste can change in less then a year. When I was probably 13 he was the funniest thing I had ever seen. I watched one of his specials like 4 times. Then I grew out of the 'racism is shocking and funny' phase and now he's just fucking lame.

0r4ng3
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Other than that, he's awesome!!!
Yeah, that's another flaw: his fanbase.

ZagmenO
08-09-2007, 12:38 PM
If you ain't laughin'... you ain't livin'!!!

Markus
08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Someone at work just got an order for Carlos Mencia. After announcing this, EVERYONE AROUND ME simultaneously started proclaiming how much they love him and how hysterical he is. I feel dirty for just being here.

Is your company aware that you are browsing the net on their time?

nieh
08-09-2007, 02:18 PM
They're willingly blind to that fact.

Markus
08-09-2007, 02:20 PM
lol, good for you! I love office jobs.

Markus
08-09-2007, 02:23 PM
As for Carlos Mencia, he's ok, I enjoy racial jokes.......but then again theres not too many comedians who don't use them.

Jebus
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
eh, I was a huge fan when I was in 10th grade. I felt I could relate to most of his jokes which why I liked him so much. I was all like "omg, we do fit a lot of people cars! lololololol." Heck, there's a still a few bits here and there that still make me laugh when I think about them. By the most part though, I don't find original or funny as I used to anymore. and yes, I am ashamed for it taking me that long to stop liking him.