PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis bridge collapses...

Llamas
08-02-2007, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osocGiofdvc

I'm so freaked out right now... I'm sure you've all heard the news about the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis. This bridge is 4 blocks from where I used to live, and I used to take that bridge every single day multiple times... many of my friends had been on that bridge during rush hour and missed the collapse by maybe 15 minutes. One of my friends saw the congestion on the bridge and decided to take the 10th ave bridge right next to it instead... and another friend was due to drive to campus at the time (and therefore take that bridge), but stayed at home cause she had a weird feeling.

I always hear about freak accidents like this, but it never really affects you that much until it happens in your city. I don't live in Minneapolis at this time, so I'm somewhat detached from the event, but I have so many friends there, and I lived so close to it and had classes by it.

I just felt like making a thread about it to discuss the event, and so I could be whiney. So far, none of my friends were hurt. One person I know (but am not friends with) was on the bridge when it fell, but she's okay. There are still around 30 missing bodies, though, and they haven't yet announced the names of the dead or injured.

The part that really pisses me off is that, two years ago, the bridge was inspected and was assessed as being deficient. It got a 4 out of 10 in safety, and the proper officials definitely knew this. Yet they did NOTHING. I hope that maybe this will be a wake up call and construction will begin on freeway bridges across the US.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it's all over the news. I guess there's still a ton of people trapped in their cars under all the debris. Man, it sucks that the U.S. has yet another tragedy to dea with.

I'm so freaked out right now... I'm sure you've all heard the news about the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis. This bridge is 4 blocks from where I used to live, and I used to take that bridge every single day multiple times... many of my friends had been on that bridge during rush hour and missed the collapse by maybe 15 minutes. One of my friends saw the congestion on the bridge and decided to take the 10th ave bridge right next to it instead... and another friend was due to drive to campus at the time (and therefore take that bridge), but stayed at home cause she had a weird feeling.
Woah, that's strange in a cool kind of way.

The part that really pisses me off is that, two years ago, the bridge was inspected and was assessed as being deficient. It got a 4 out of 10 in safety, and the proper officials definitely knew this. Yet they did NOTHING. I hope that maybe this will be a wake up call and construction will begin on freeway bridges across the US.
Personally, I blame terrorists.

Tired_Of_You
08-02-2007, 01:15 PM
It reminded me of that bridge that collapsed last year in Laval (near of Montreal) and 4 people died. An hour before it collapsed, cement fell from it and there's a governement guy who went there and said nothing was wrong... I often drive on the highway that passes under it. Apparently, tons of other bridges could be dangerous in Quebec as well. The situation is worse in Minneapolis, though, since it's a much bigger bridge.

Mota Boy
08-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Bridges weren't designed to last forever, usually the concrete bridges that were so prevalent in the fifties were only designed to last fifty or so years, and that was before modern levels of traffic. The problem is that there's little to no will to build new bridges, due to the high costs and little available money (also, people just don't actually believe a bridge will collapse). If I had to make a guess, I'd say that momentum will really only begin if another bridge collapses in the next three or so years (thus "proving" in many minds that this isn't merely a freak accident), and then many of the replacement bridges will likely have tolls, and possible even be privatized.

Hoo-freakin'-ray.

Harnum
08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Wow Brianna, that video is fucking scary! That bridge fell very fast and was so unexpected. I came home last night and it was all over the TV about the bridge collapse. It's unfortunate..

leo3375
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I seriously thought about making a thread about this shortly after it happened. Yes, I have travelled on that bridge, but usually to go to a movie theater on the other side of the river from me. So I am as shocked as everyone else.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune's site has the most extensive coerage I've seen so far. Check it out:
http://www.startribune.com

Here's a PDF of a 2001 report concerning fatigue on the bridge:
http://www.timescapemedia.com/podcasts/FatigueEvaluationBridge9340.pdf

And here's an inspection report from 2006 detailing fatigue cracks and warped girders. Interestingly enough, this was mentioned in newscasts last night and now no one will talk about it:
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/i35wbridge/pdfs/bridge_inspection_report_06-15-06.pdf

I have yet to go down and see it for myself, and I think that there will be a lot of rubberneckers over there still. My in-laws called last night to make sure we're okay, and my parents were relieved when I called them to try and get more information shortly after it happened.

Recovery efforts have been suspended for now, despite the Army Corps of Engineers lowering the river water levels 2 feet, and Gov. Tim Pawlenty has ordered all bridges in Minnesota to be inspected.

I will do my best to keep people posted about this.

Llamas
08-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot there was another person from the cities on here. Where in MPLS do you live? I was in dinkytown... right on 6th ave and 5th st.

And here's an inspection report from 2006 detailing fatigue cracks and warped girders. Interestingly enough, this was mentioned in newscasts last night and now no one will talk about it:
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/i35wbridge/pdfs/bridge_inspection_report_06-15-06.pdf

Yep, I noticed that, too... nobody wants to accept any blame for it... :-/

I have yet to go down and see it for myself
I have no wish to see the destruction... I think that would make it worse...

Recovery efforts have been suspended for now, despite the Army Corps of Engineers lowering the river water levels 2 feet, and Gov. Tim Pawlenty has ordered all bridges in Minnesota to be inspected.
Yeah thank god for Pawlenty. Maybe they'll prevent this from happening again. Though, this bridge had been inspected and nobody did anything about it...

leo3375
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't with to disclose where exactly I am but I live west of the Mississippi. Divers have been allowed back in the water but it's so murky it's virtually impossible to see anything.

Apathy
08-02-2007, 09:08 PM
My girlfriends little sisters friend that she sorta knows dad was supposedly involved in the accident, but he's Ok.

Kinda distant to myself. But it's just so weird feeling that this affects so many people.

UgLy_eLf
08-02-2007, 09:30 PM
The really fucked up part is they were doing construction on it, which was pretty basic repavement work. They KNEW there were problems with the structure, and REPAVED instead of working on the actual flaw in the bridge. By closing off lanes to do that work,they ended up stressing the bridge to the point in which it buckled under heavy traffic. Re-routing traffic is going to be a bitch, that bridge pretty much linked North to South.

ninthlayer
08-04-2007, 03:51 AM
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v111/73/79/212700131/n212700131_30505423_9671.jpg

HeadAroundU
08-04-2007, 04:18 AM
.....:).....

Is anybody going to make Mark Bryan pix?

KyleW
08-04-2007, 04:26 AM
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v111/73/79/212700131/n212700131_30505423_9671.jpg

oh my word, im speechless, its kind of a funny/feeling bad kind of feeling when i giggled at this

leo3375
08-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Last I heard the death toll is up to 6. Divers are searching the waters but because it's so murky they can't see long disctances.

Congress has approved emergency funding to get a new freeway bridge built. I would like to see the workers take their time and built a nice, stucturally sound bridge instead of hurrying to get one built in time for the Republican Convention next year.

And Dubya is in town today for a photo-opů er, I mean to console the victims.

WebDudette
08-06-2007, 03:57 AM
I entered this page intending to post the picture if no one else had already done it. Some where deep down I knew that you would beat me to the punch.

ninthlayer
08-06-2007, 04:30 AM
I love you. I really do.

YTMND is usually pretty fail, but this one is funny:
http://lostsupermariobrotherslevel.ytmnd.com/