PDA

View Full Version : So like, can I sing?

mrconeman
08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Because I don't really know. But I tried just there now for the first time ever.
It's like, I'm the sort who never would sing infront of people, then I bought an acoustic guitar so like, everyone tries to make you sing, but I was like shy an shit about my voice, so I would never sing unless someone else was playing and singing with me, or with like joke songs or something.

I used to be like that with guitar too, but I got over that, I guess.

Then a conversation I had last night just made me think "well fuck it, why not try?"
So I just done a cover of Tom Petty's Learning to Fly. I'm even nervous uploading this, so like try not to shatter my self esteem plz.

Well no, but just keep in mind that it's the first time I've ever tried, and I think the chorus of that song is too high for me or something.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=262777

On actually listening to it back, yeah I think the chorus was high for me..:-/
ways to improve would also be nice, I suppose.

whoops, fixed the link

randman21
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Hmm, I don't quite know the exact thing to say. It wasn't bad, and it was good for your first time...Were you, by chance, a bit nervous while recording? If so, I could tell. The tone of your voice is good, but it sounds like you were singing falsetto (it's because of the low volume of the vocal track that I can't tell). Overall, I liked it, but it would be easier to tell with a song with a bit more diversity. Potential is probably the word of the day. Definite potential.

mrconeman
08-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks, man. :)

Yeah, I was definitely a little nervous recording.
I didn't think I was going to post it until I realised I had no idea if it was decent or not, so I just did the guitar and singing all at once, so yeah the quality wasn't too great either. I think it's mostly from me not projecting my voice very well.

I know I'm no Robert Plant, I was just checking to see if there's something there worth practicing and pursuing. I'll practice at it. Thanks for the tips.

SkunkIt
08-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Not bad at all. You should try being louder though, use more production in your voice and you should cover a Punk song. I think you'd sound awesome if you were screaming. You should cover, "I wanna Destroy You" by the Circle Jerks. get a woman accompaniment, also. Screaming will also help you produce your quiet voice into a louder one.

This is what I pictured:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3709/conerw8.png

OffspringPsycho
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Great! Well, I might just be saying that because I love that song...but still, good for a first time. Next time try being a lot louder ;)

mrconeman
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Firstly

This is what I pictured:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3709/conerw8.png
I love that.

Secondly, thanks, both of you.

I put this on another forum and the general consensus is that I need to practice projecting my voice, and sing from the diaphragm. And yes, Learning to Fly is an awesome, awesome song.

opivy21
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't really have anything new to add. It sounded good, except for the volume. It bothers me when people sing quietly, whether they're a good singer or not. My band director says, "If you're going to mess up, mess up loud."

All About Eve
08-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Singing from the diaphragm is so overrated.

But seriously, the trick with singing is to sing in whatever way fits the mood/song. People who sing the same way all the time are boring for the most part.

NDM1
08-08-2007, 09:06 PM
That definitely doesn't sound bad but its a little hard to crit it when the level is quiet..but yeah if you worked on it i'm sure you could start singing with more confidence thus probably making it sound better.

Llamas
08-09-2007, 03:19 AM
I finally got around to listening. :) I think, for all intensive purposes, you can sing. You don't have a singing voice that should be hidden from public, haha. You can definitely carry a tone, and your voice isn't annoying. As many people said, you really need to project. Perhaps the chorus is too high, but that can be helped with projection. I am an alto, but with enough projection and strength, I can sing most soprano parts (unless they're like ungodly, haha). Projection, self-assurance... I think once you work on those a bit, others and I will be able to give you better advice. All we can really hear right now is that you're hitting the notes... can't really tell anything about quality. I couldn't even hear the lyrics. :P

A suggestion might be to record the guitar part, and then to turn it down pretty low and practice singing over it. Once you're comfortable, try singing it without the guitar. And record it so you can listen to yourself, of course. One big thing about playing and singing simultaneously is making sure you can really do each separately before putting them together, though that's probably obvious. But if you don't, one part will be clearly dominant to the other... in yours, the guitar is super dominant... in my songs, my voice is dominant because I'm never comfortable with the guitar part. So yeah. I probably just wrote way more than you cared to hear. :) So umm, like, good luck! :P

PS: ur gud @ guitar... INRI? Guitar lessons, plz. And yes, I realize that the guitar in that song wasn't anything special. This is just sorta unrelated. :D

Paint_It_Black
08-09-2007, 09:19 AM
for all intensive purposes

I'm sorry, but can you reassure me that was a joke?

Conedude, that wasn't bad. But it's not really possible to give you a definitive answer on whether or not you can sing. You definitely don't suck at it, and you shouldn't be embarrassed to sing in front of people. At the same time, you really do need to learn to project, or just be louder, or just play more quietly...though I pretty much always think the singing gets swallowed up during live music anyway.

You should post up some more stuff. Ideally a range of stuff with different styles. I suspect you aren't most suited to the style of singing on that one, and could be far better with something that suits you more. But again, that definitely wasn't bad.

Oh, and do something Irish for me. You're breaking my heart.

Edit: I just listened to Repose and was going to say it reminded me of Final Fantasy in a way, and then I scrolled down and saw On The Other Side of The Mountain. Am I perhaps detecting an influence?

Edit 2: I want Crazy Train in it's entirety with accompanying vocals. Get on it. That solo was freakin' nice though. Not as nice as when I totally nailed Bark at the Moon on Guitar Hero, but hey, we can't all be guitar heroes.

All About Eve
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry... we can't all be guitar heroes.
Christ you're long winded.

mrconeman
08-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Those are some good replies.

I finally got around to listening. :) I think, for all intensive purposes, you can sing. You don't have a singing voice that should be hidden from public, haha. You can definitely carry a tone, and your voice isn't annoying. As many people said, you really need to project. Perhaps the chorus is too high, but that can be helped with projection.
Thx2u. Yeah thats the general opinion I've been getting, to project more and sing less from the throat and more from the diaphragm. I've tried along those lines and I think I'm sort of hearing results. I'll record something again sometime.

A suggestion might be to record the guitar part, and then to turn it down pretty low and practice singing over it. Once you're comfortable, try singing it without the guitar. And record it so you can listen to yourself, of course. One big thing about playing and singing simultaneously is making sure you can really do each separately before putting them together, though that's probably obvious.
Good call. As I said earlier, I usually give this advice to guitar players who sing, but didn't think of it for myself, you're definitely right.

PS: ur gud @ guitar... INRI?
What can I say, I'm awesome.

Conedude, that wasn't bad. But it's not really possible to give you a definitive answer on whether or not you can sing. You definitely don't suck at it, and you shouldn't be embarrassed to sing in front of people. At the same time, you really do need to learn to project, or just be louder, or just play more quietly...though I pretty much always think the singing gets swallowed up during live music anyway.
Cheers. Yeah, it's something I'll try to get over, I'm just really quite shy. I think the main volume problem in this clip though was that I recorded guitar and singing at the same time, so I couldn't do any production tricks to raise the singing in the mix, I didn't know I was going to post it until after I was done, but I'll record them separately next time.

I'm afraid I'd shatter everyones fantasy of my voice, I don't have the stereotypical oIrish accent.

Edit: I just listened to Repose and was going to say it reminded me of Final Fantasy in a way, and then I scrolled down and saw On The Other Side of The Mountain. Am I perhaps detecting an influence?
Definitely, and I'm glad you noticed. People often find it strange that I list a composer that composed solely for video games as one of my largest influences, but I've been listening to his music from I was like 7 years old, it's definitely had an effect.

Edit 2: I want Crazy Train in it's entirety with accompanying vocals. Get on it. That solo was freakin' nice though. Not as nice as when I totally nailed Bark at the Moon on Guitar Hero, but hey, we can't all be guitar heroes.
If you're srs I have both of those songs recorded in video. I wouldn't try to sing like Ozzy though, not even Ozzy can sing like Ozzy. Oh and that Crazy Train makes me almost cringe, it's like a year old.

randman21
08-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry, but can you reassure me that was a joke?

it's
;)................

Paint_It_Black
08-10-2007, 01:10 AM
;)................

Er, sorry friend, but that's completely different.

If you're srs I have both of those songs recorded in video. I wouldn't try to sing like Ozzy though, not even Ozzy can sing like Ozzy. Oh and that Crazy Train makes me almost cringe, it's like a year old.

Yeah, totally serious, I'd love to see those.

By the way, you wouldn't need to sing like Ozzy to sing those songs. I generally only enjoy covers when they are done differently than the original, otherwise what's the point?

mrconeman
08-10-2007, 05:27 AM
By the way, you wouldn't need to sing like Ozzy to sing those songs. I generally only enjoy covers when they are done differently than the original, otherwise what's the point?
That was just a joke. Because Ozzy's live albums, the singing hasn't ever been live. And I hear these days his live band tune down a ridiculous amount just for him to be able to sing in the same register as the music, but thats cool, he's like 100 years old. But still I imagine it'd be hard to sing his stuff, he had a fairly high voice.

Yeah, totally serious, I'd love to see those.

fo sho.
Crazy Train : http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wkP18D-A4oY
Bark at the Moon: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuNpAwxt0A
Excuse the head banging, and the rock and/or roll antics.

mrconeman
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM

O.K I lied the first time, I just covered ..probably my favourite traditional Irish song actually. Spancil Hill. It's a great song and story too, it was originally a poem written by an Irish immigrant who moved to California, and misses Ireland, and where he lived, Spancil Hill. It was brought back to Ireland by his nephew I think, and it was then put to music, and has since become folklore.

I think I did better on this one anyway. I found a better way to mic myself up, and I tried to sing louder. This was mostly thrown together because the song is awesome, and the request though.

Llamas
08-10-2007, 05:20 PM
No, it wasn't joke. I'd actually never attempted to use that phrase before, and I wrote that post at like 5am... and for some reason, I had this strange urge to use this phrase that my mom uses all the time... didn't really think about it. I went back and looked, and I was like... wow, I don't even know. I don't even know what that phrase even means... so I looked it up. It annoys me now that people say that, because it's almost as stupid as "I could care less".

All About Eve
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I think he was saying that it's generally said, "For all intents and purposes".

Llamas
08-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes, that was my point... saying "for all intensive purposes" makes no sense and came from someone/people mishearing "for all intents and purposes".

Paint_It_Black
08-11-2007, 05:27 AM
I think I did better on this one anyway. I found a better way to mic myself up, and I tried to sing louder. This was mostly thrown together because the song is awesome, and the request though.

Loved it. Loved it loved it loved it loved it. You just made my day with that.

I still want to hear you do a wide range of stuff though. Keep it coming.

Edit: The Crazy Train video was impressive. I especially liked how it looked like your head was on backwards through most of it. But sing, damn it, sing!

Edit 2: I just watched the other video. So now I'm really wondering, how hard is this stuff to play? I know nothing about playing an instrument so to me that looked incredibly hard, though it appears you find it rather easy.

mrconeman
08-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Loved it. Loved it loved it loved it loved it. You just made my day with that. I still want to hear you do a wide range of stuff though. Keep it coming.
Woah. I'm glad. I kind of really love that song, so it's good you enjoyed it, and that I didn't kill it or anything. Thanks. And yeah, I'll try to learn and record a bit of a range of stuff.

Edit: The Crazy Train video was impressive. I especially liked how it looked like your head was on backwards through most of it.
Haha! I've been known to put sunglasses on over my hair at parties. It usually goes down well. It works at the back or the front.

Edit 2: I just watched the other video. So now I'm really wondering, how hard is this stuff to play? I know nothing about playing an instrument so to me that looked incredibly hard, though it appears you find it rather easy.
That's a really hard question to answer. Um. Well in terms of playing difficulty, both songs are hard to play. And I'm trying to answer this without sounding like I have an ego, I think it depends on many things if someone will become good on an instrument, how natural it came to them, and after that if they put the hours in etc. hmm. Learning a song is probably the hardest part, you know? Once you've learned it, sat and fussed over every little bit and piece, you can just put it all together in your head, which I think probably makes the actual performances of it afterward look easy. And I mean, once you've memorized it all and got it down good, it is easier, but there is definitely effort going into it at the same time to keep it at a good standard. Now that I think about it it's really hard to explain. Hope that worked a little.

Paint_It_Black
08-11-2007, 09:17 AM
That's a really hard question to answer. Um. Well in terms of playing difficulty, both songs are hard to play.

That about covers what I wanted to know really. I just didn't know how to phrase the question clearly. Of course anything gets easier with practice, so I didn't mean it to sound like a retarded "is playing the guitar hard?" sort of question.

mrconeman
08-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Lets keep the ball rolling...or I should say the stone, I've covered another one of my favourite songs of all time, Like a Rolling Stone. The only thing learning, singing and recording this taught me was that I should really learn to play the harmonica, seriously.

I'm not sure of how good or whatever this is, but I actually had alot of fun with it.

Paint_It_Black
08-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Dude, that was really, really good. You nailed the singing on that. You're getting more confident, right? It sounds like you are anyway.

Someone more knowledgeable than me needs to listen to that because I can't give a single constructive criticism. I'm sure praise is nice, but I can't give anything more useful I'm afraid.

How long did you spend learning that?

mrconeman
08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Cheers again, dude. I'm definitely getting more confident, yeah. That was the first one of the three that I felt no nerves at all while recording, which let me enjoy it more, I seem to be getting used to this singing lark. I guess it helped that there was no one else home and I got to be as loud as I liked.

On learning it...I think I've known the chords to that song since forever, I learned it very early on in playing, singing wise I just sang along to the track a couple times before I recorded it, but it certainly helped that I know the song quite well. Although I suppose you could say I didn't finish learning it, I had to do that with the lyrics in front of me, I tried it a few times without and the chorus kept throwing me off, it changes everytime.

Paint_It_Black
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I'd say that was definitely your best so far. Not my personal favorite, but technically your best.

So, what you got for us next?

H1T_That
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Offtopic, that Repose thing you recorded is pretty much outta this world amazing.

mrconeman
09-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I'd say that was definitely your best so far. Not my personal favorite, but technically your best.

So, what you got for us next?
I meant to reply in this thread and actually forgot about it until that latest update. I was actually going to record a song today, but I broke a string in the process. I'll get some new strings during the week and hopefully find the time to get something new up.

Offtopic, that Repose thing you recorded is pretty much outta this world amazing.
Thanks alot man. That's probably the thing I most enjoy to play that I wrote myself, some other things I get bored with, but I always like to relax and throw that out there, it probably helps that it's so short.

mrconeman
09-15-2007, 10:16 AM
So I covered Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd), with guitar and vocals. I've always been pretty rubbish at recording things, but I did everything on this track by track and I think I actually got it to turn out pretty well.

The inspiration behind covering this song in particular is a little while ago a buddy of mine died, and in the coming months we're gunna hold a little charity gig to raise money for a hospice that was taking care of him, and my other friend asked me if we could pull together a little make shift band of friends to go on to perform this one tune. We haven't found anyone willing to sing yet, so I've decided I may or may not sing it live on the night. (I've never performed live to an audience, and I'm not exactly a big bag of confidence, especially when it comes to my voice.)

Other than that I just really wanted to cover the song, it's one of those tunes that just has a meaning for me, and I really like everything about it musically. I figured it'd be cool to record too, to see if I could replicate that compressed radio sound they have at the start, and track all the solos on a different track. I hope I did it justice, let me know.

T-6005
09-15-2007, 10:33 AM
There's no doubt about for me, you can definitely sing - that was pretty damn good, and I thought your voice fit the song quite well. You also did a great job covering it.

The recording was also well done, although I thought that the guitar was a little loud in parts, and there's a little bit of hiss.

EDIT - I listened to it again, it's really, really well done. The lead acoustics are recorded perfectly, as well.

JoY
09-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Singing from the diaphragm is so overrated.

you mean that singing, using the diaphragm for breath, expanding your lungs using your intercostal muscles as little as possible, but using your diaphragm instead.. is a bad thing? because honestly, seriously, I swear to god.. singing with mainly the help of your intercostal ribs screws over your voice to the point you grow blobs on your vocal cords.

I definitely want to listen to your recording, but my sound system was stolen by my roomy.:( hopefully temporarily, though, but it could take a while before I get everything back from her.

mrconeman
09-15-2007, 11:07 AM
There's no doubt about for me, you can definitely sing - that was pretty damn good, and I thought your voice fit the song quite well. You also did a great job covering it.

The recording was also well done, although I thought that the guitar was a little loud in parts, and there's a little bit of hiss.

EDIT - I listened to it again, it's really, really well done. The lead acoustics are recorded perfectly, as well.
Thanks alot man, I appreciate your feedback. Yeah, when I was listening to it back I had it on a very low volume, so I didn't notice the hiss..which is definitely there. I think I can get rid of it easily enough, I'll try and fix the upload, I'll let you know.

I'm glad about the leads too, thanks.

JoY - No problem, hope you get your system back soon.

JoY
09-15-2007, 11:09 AM
like I said, it could take a while. she's in hospital & her room is locked (pretty logical in this part of Amsterdam, or well, any part of Amsterdam).

but I just read the whole thread & now I want to listen to it even more. boo.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 12:17 PM
i actually think you can sign very well i was suprised

platinumpt
09-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Sorry, off-topic. I'll take it back.

mrconeman
09-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Hmm?
What went on there?

platinumpt
09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I posted a link to a youtube video, but it didn't have anything to do with the present topic, so I took it back. Sorry.

I'm listening to your Pink Floyd cover. To be perfectly honest with you, you have an amazing guitar play. However, on the vocals, you seem to have some trouble reaching the higher notes. At least, that's what it seems to me, in the chorus part.

mrconeman
11-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I'd forgotten about this thread again. Thanks for listening man. Yeah, listening back to it a little while after having made it I can actually here where I could better myself now, thanks about the guitar too.

I'll hopefully get something else up soon, but my microphone is in a friends house... he lives about 10 meters from my house, and I'm always there, but I always forget to grab it. I'll try.

mrconeman
11-16-2007, 07:53 AM
So the ultimate party tune ever is Afternoon Delight by the Starland vocal band, popularised by the channel 4 news team in anchorman. Scratch that, it's the ultimate song, ever. So I covered it, for a laugh really, I'm not trying to impress anyone here. I don't even know why I'm posting this, but it's fun, and it's use in Anchorman was hilarious. Generally you should all learn it and play it at parties for your friends. I'll get my acoustic duo buddy to learn it too, we'll totally do the harmonies and everything.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=262777

mrconeman
12-13-2007, 10:39 PM
New cover and stuff, for the small chance that anyone actually checks this thread anymore. Little Wing, by Jimi Hendrix.

I've always been fascinated with Little Wing. Jimi's rhythmic music writing skills were fabulous, it's such an expressive song, and it's just, well, awesome.

I decided I'd do an acoustic version, and try my hand at singing and playing it at the same time (not an easy task, it turns out). But I
A. Managed to do it in the end.
B. Caved and recorded the solo electrically on my Squier Strat (Hey, it's Jimi, I wasn't gunna use my Les Paul)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=262777

Let me know what you think. Take note that I originally wasn't going to do the solo, and I just threw it together as a last minute decision, and Squier Strat = not awesome tone. Listening back, both the singing and guitar playing could have been better, and they threw each other off because I was doing them at the same time, this is something I'll work on getting better at.

Let me know what you think though.