PDA

View Full Version : Hey California Folks

All About Eve
08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm starting to look at colleges, and would like some recommendations. I know of a lot, but I'm sure there are some that I'm over looking. The majors I'm considering are Journalism and/or Psychology, and Engineering's still on the table because I did excellent in it the past two years, but I'm not interested in it.

The list I've currently got:
Vanderbilt*
NYU*
Boston*
NC State*
UNC
Davidson*
Washington and Lee*
Emory* (Georgia)
Michigan
Chicago*
San Diego
UCLA
UGA (Georgia)
Mercer (Georgia)*
Georgia College and State University (Georgia)
Georgia Southern (Georgia)

*These colleges sent me stuff based on my PSAT.

Any Georgia schools I can get the Hope scholarship for, which is a LOT of money.

nieh
08-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Drexel in Philly is known for having one of the best engineering things out there.

All About Eve
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
There's only a 2.7% chance I ever do anything with engineering again, though. It's only on the table because I got great grades in it/would have a good recommendation from my teacher.

Mota Boy
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
I'd suggest looking at the Claremont Colleges (http://www.claremont.edu/).

All About Eve
08-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Where is it located, and which would be good for psychology?

JohnnyNemesis
08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Drexel in Philly is known for having one of the best engineering things out there.

Yeah, but they're so stuck in the shadow of UPenn that it's sickening. That's more UPenn's fault than anything, though.

All About Eve
08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I added a list of colleges I'm looking at.

Pennsylvania is actually supposed to have a really great psych school, but I'm not a fan of the area.

dexandnoodles
08-08-2007, 07:55 PM
you should consider UCR (riverside)

Little_Miss_1565
08-08-2007, 09:15 PM
NYU. NYC nerd party!

JohnnyNemesis
08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
There aren't enough w's on the Internet for me to adequately express my "ewwwwwwwwww" style disgust at everything about NYU!

All About Eve
08-08-2007, 09:18 PM
They sent me stuff telling me to go there, though, so they must know something:cool:

1565: nerd party anywhere plz. We can read Alighieri or Sir Thomas More out loud with Sci-fi on in the background as we act out our dirtiest role playing fantasies. In the library after dark.

Little_Miss_1565
08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/wizard.jpg

Rag Doll
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
yes. NYU for NYC nerd party plzzzzzz.

All About Eve
08-08-2007, 10:12 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/wizard.jpg
I'd rather you take them off if y'know what I mean;)

Endymion
08-09-2007, 01:42 AM
definitely a solid choice if you want to be in southern california.

you should consider UCR (riverside)
don't listen to this retard, ucr is one of the worst schools in california. unless you want to have your own meth lab.

USC is good, but expensive. UCLA isn't bad, but you'd probably be better off with UCSC, UCB, UCSB, or UCD (santa cruz, berkeley, santa barbara, and davis, respectively). Stanford is always a good choice too, but it's more for the sciences.

JohnnyNemesis
08-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Yeah, my friend is into the Humanities and she goes to Stanford. She fuckin' hates it.

Also, no NYU anyone, plz. I will no longer be able to respect you :(

All About Eve
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Out of state tuition is deadly, so if I was going to go to a school in California it would have to be one of the lesser expensive ones. I know USC is pretty up there, and not really down my alley anyways, so I didn't add it. I thought about Cal-Berkley, but feared it might be the same situation. I'm looking up a whole lot of schools online later, for costs, average scores to get in, etc. Michigan is ~$22,000 in state and ~$43,000 out of state (Total costs, not just tuition), but I have relatives there and might be able to establish residence. So far Vanderbilt is looking amazing, but once again, it's ~$32,000 for just tuition, not total cost. I could probably get some scholarships, but getting THAT much is difficult.

Paint_It_Black
08-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Why's nobody suggested Washburn University? It's about a 2 minute walk from my apartment. We could hold hands and skip merrily past Fred Phelps together.

A good education can't possibly compare to that.

Rag Doll
08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Out of state tuition is deadly...[...]...I could probably get some scholarships, but getting THAT much is difficult.

welcome to the reason i am going to college in the same town i went to high school in.

sKratch
08-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Endy where should I go to grad school :[

Jebus
08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Santa Monica Community College FTW! Heh, I didn't get accepted to any UC. Curse my 3.0 gpa! Funny thing is we might end up going to real university at the same time.

All About Eve
08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a 3.7 or something unweighted, 14th in my class at the moment. I'm going to stop fucking around (at least some) and try to get top 10 though. At least get my GPA up to 3.8-3.9. My test scores are my big strength. I made 560 on verbal and 570 on math when I took the SAT in 7th grade.

Endymion
08-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Endy where should I go to grad school :[

uc davis.

plz?

also, what would your focus be?

a lot of schools offer some sort of accelerated state citizenship thingy so you can get instate tuition after a year or less. though it's more for grad students than undergrad, but still. look into that.

sKratch
08-11-2007, 10:55 AM
My biggest problem is I have no idea what I want to focus on in graduate study. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at entering a doctorate program. I know I fucking hate theoretical high energy particle physics, because I'm doing research with a professor and it's terrible. I know material science is where the money / industry jobs are, but I don't have experience with it. Conceptually, I enjoy cosmology and shit like blackhole thermodynamics. I saw that UCSC has a good cosmology program. I'm also looking at stuff on the East Coast though.
Most schools I've looked at give a full stipend to graduate students with good grades.
Also, I'm hoping to be published some time in the fall with a professor.

All About Eve
08-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm still waiting for more info on Claremont pplz :mad:

sKratch
08-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Hijacked !