PDA

View Full Version : Why do I do this?

mrconeman
08-09-2007, 08:39 PM
It's 4.34 in the morning. I'm not in bed. I'm on the internets.

I'm officially in the wee hours. As usual I'm contemplating weather to go to bed, or click another link on wikipedia, leading me further away from what I originated from, yet gets more addicting every time. I'm also hungry, so naturally I have to eat before I go to bed, but this requires me to muster the energy to actually get up, go down two flights of stairs, think of what food to make, stand around making it, then coming back, and of course eating it. I also have no obligation to be up early tomorrow other than missing day light, which is kind of over-rated anyway.

There's some songs I have a nagging to listen to, and my guitar is also rather tempting looking right now. Not to mention I have to keep up with my forums, they might not be there tomorrow, or at least thats the only logical reason I can think of as to why I feel the need to check them every five minutes. Of course none of these activities have any kind of priority, so I need to sort that out in my head before any plans go to into motion anyway.

This thread is probably pretty boring, but like it's 4.38 in the morning, so gimmie a break.

The fact is I don't know why I find sitting here doing nothing more appealing than sleep. Which is something I love by the by. Which leads this to puzzle me even more. Do you suffer this same enigmatic problem, what keeps you awake?

All About Eve
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh god yes. It's only 11:45 here, but I have to finish some homework and I'm putting off. I can't sleep until I do it, and I know I'll be miserable tomorrow.

Lots of times I stay up just because there's this sens that I'll miss something. I don't know why. But it keeps me up. Thinking of sleeping at those points makes me sick, almost.

Llamas
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I suffer pretty much the exact problem. Sleep is so amazing, but I put it off forever and choose boring bullshit over it. I didn't even go to bed last night cause of it. I didn't feel like it. I sat at my computer all night. wtf.

Oh, and another thing on your list is making me a Pogues file. Duh.

0r4ng3
08-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Most of the time, I'm waiting for certain webcomics to upload the night before. I'm simultaneously impatient and patient like that. Also I don't like sleeping a lot. It just feels like a waste of time sometimes.

Jakebert
08-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I've been doing that for a good week and a half now. It's starting to catch up with me and I've felt like shit for the past few days because of it, but I just really don't like going to bed. The humidity doesn't help, either.

All About Eve
08-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Dude, our heat index today was almost 8 degrees higher than the actual temp at one point. You can NOT complain about humidity.

WebDudette
08-09-2007, 08:51 PM
All summer long I've been waking up at 4-6 in the afternoon, sometimes later. I stay up all night doing absolutely nothing but watching random stuff on youtube and refreshing /b/, Offspring Forum and Myspace all night sometimes. Every now and then I do something productive like work in photoshop.

I am just now getting back to a normal schedule but that is mostly because I was awake some 30 hours.

Llamas
08-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Dude, our heat index today was almost 8 degrees higher than the actual temp at one point. You can NOT complain about humidity.

I just compared the humidity from my city to that in atlanta... today our humidity is at 100% and yours is at 46%... YOU can't complain about humidity. :P

All About Eve
08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Well right now, yeah, but not a few hours ago.

Tired_Of_You
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Someone should tell me why I'm still returning here when I don't even really post anymore.

Besides that, I don't have the habit of staying up all night to check the internet. I'm also going to bed soon, waaay to tired at the moment.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Homeostasis. I have the same problem. I am addicted to whatever state I am in. When I'm awake, I want to stay awake, and when I'm asleep, I want to stay asleep. After a while this pattern results in inversion of days and nights without some serious forced intervention. Find some kind of hobby or activity to do in the morning that you NEED to be awake for. You'll only keep shooting yourself in the foot for so long, unless you're even more homeostatic than me (IMPOSSIBLE!).

Llamas
08-09-2007, 09:08 PM
haha, homeostasis? Yeah, I stay up all night trying to make sure my insides are in equilibrium for internal balance. :D I think I get how you're using it, but it still made me lol. :P

edit: you're so right, though. I'm exactly the same. I stay awake for 24 hours sometimes, but then other times I sleep for 19. The other day I slept 14 hours just cause I didn't feel like getting up. Then last night, I stayed up all night cause I didn't feel like going to bed. Haha.

Jakebert
08-09-2007, 09:14 PM

I know it's not bad here compared to most other places, but I'm not good with heat. I'm one of those people that have a fan on all year around because even when it's 40 degrees out, it's still not comfortable to sleep with it off.

mrconeman
08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I can relate most to the treeZ here. It really fucks up the internal clock.

On the heat thing, I much prefer to be a lot too cold than overly warm. It's so much easier to warm yourself up, and being cold doesn't come with the added bonus of feeling disgusting. It's probably due to living in Ireland and all, but if sometimes the heat here bothers me I'd probably like die anywhere else.

Jebus
08-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I did that yesterday/today. I had a 7 page final essay due at 12:30 pm today. I meant to start writing it yesterday at 3 pm but that somehow changed to 5 pm and then that changed to 12 am. I though, "oh shit, I'm gonna need to pull an all nighter." I specifically stayed up just to write my paper but again nothing happen other than wasting time on the internet and 6 am arrived. By that time I was tired as fuck and couldn't concentrate but I finally mustered up the will to start writing. I just don't know why I'm always doing this to myself. Having to write a paper in such a small amount of time is the worst feeling in the world yet I continue to torture myself by procrastinating.

All About Eve
08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
I did that yesterday/today. I had a 7 page final essay due at 12:30 pm today. I meant to start writing it yesterday at 3 pm but that somehow changed to 5 pm and then that changed to 12 am. I though, "oh shit, I'm gonna need to pull an all nighter." I specifically stayed up just to write my paper but again nothing happen other than wasting time on the internet and 6 am arrived. By that time I was tired as fuck and couldn't concentrate but I finally mustered up the will to start writing. I just don't know why I'm always doing this to myself. Having to write a paper in such a small amount of time is the worst feeling in the world yet I continue to torture myself by procrastinating.
Yes. Yes yes yes. Apparently I have ADD, and I recently started taking medicine, but even that hasn't prevented me from procrastination.

Jebus
08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I've always wondered if I had ADD, but I'm probably just trying to make up excuses for myself.

Paint_It_Black
08-10-2007, 01:39 AM
I've always wondered if I had ADD

Try looking into it, though you'll probably end up doing something else instead.

I completely agree/relate to what Xylo said. I'm entirely the same way. The last two days I had a total of 7 hours sleep, and I had to work those nights, spending the entire shift hating myself. But of course I didn't go to bed when I got home.

When I don't work it's not uncommon for me to stay awake for 30 hours or more and then sleep for 16. I recently went to work one night at 10pm, then got off at 6 the next morning. I didn't have to work that night, so I stayed up until after midnight and slept almost until I had to go to work again the next night. Sort of destroying any sense of having had a day off.

I regularly find myself incredibly tired just sitting around, doing nothing in particular, wasting time and knowing I should be trying to sleep. The shorter my window of time for sleep gets the less I feel like actually going to bed.

All About Eve
08-10-2007, 03:55 AM
You can actually feel tired from inactivity, you know.

DeAtHsTaR
08-10-2007, 04:20 AM
I am staying up all night so I can go to this cross-country thing in the morning. Last night I id a few lines of morphine for the first time ever, combined with Vicodin and weed...bad combo. Say no to drugs, everybody. It was fun while it lasted but I feel "Strung Out"

Paint_It_Black
08-10-2007, 04:32 AM
You can actually feel tired from inactivity, you know.

Of course, but I didn't mean it that way. I meant I'll be incredibly tired because I've been awake a long time, or had little sleep previous nights. But instead of going to bed I just sit around doing anything to pass the time other than go to bed. I hate going to bed.

Then when I wake up the only thing I want to do is keep sleeping.

wheelchairman
08-10-2007, 05:16 AM
I'd like to say that I'm also homeostatic, but that would sound really gay.

There's too many good books, computer games, and wikipedia articles around me at all times. Not to mention everything I've put off during the day.

I love the night time though.

WebDudette
08-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Very often I find myself needing to wake up in the morning. But instead of going to sleep like a normal person I just stay up until I need to go do what ever. It doesn't even stop when school comes around. Just like Jebus I have some kind of homework and tell my self I'll start at 5pm when 5 comes I decide to start at 7, when 7 comes I decide that starting at 9 can't hurt. I do this until I eventually get really tired but keep telling myself I can't go to sleep before doing the homework and I still never do it.

Oromis
08-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Very often I find myself needing to wake up in the morning. But instead of going to sleep like a normal person I just stay up until I need to go do what ever. It doesn't even stop when school comes around. Just like Jebus I have some kind of homework and tell my self I'll start at 5pm when 5 comes I decide to start at 7, when 7 comes I decide that starting at 9 can't hurt. I do this until I eventually get really tired but keep telling myself I can't go to sleep before doing the homework and I still never do it.

I do the same exact thing. I end up doing a lot of my homework in the morning before school. I also feel an urge, particularly at night time to do something. Like read a new book, or work out, or put on music I havent listined to for a long time. Im not really sure why I do that.

Apart from that, I have nights where I get in bed early and I attempt to sleep. But no matter how tired I am I just wont fall asleep. Im starting to wonder if I have insomnia. But Im not sure if insomnia could be a once in a while thing. Or if it would have to be every single night for it to be called insomnia. I should look it up.

H1T_That
08-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I used to love sitting in front of the computer until 4, 5am every night. But that was like 4 years ago when i never had to worry about getting up for work at 5am.

HeadAroundU
08-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Haha, I love you all. You're all my people.