PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bunny

Llamas
08-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Today we found a baby bunny in our garage, hiding and looking very afraid and alone. We were worried if we let him go, he'd die... so he's currently in a spare bunny cage downstairs with me. He can't be more than a few weeks old, and I'm wondering if anyone knows any advice on how to tame it. So far, he's letting me pet him after a couple hours of trying. He doesn't run away when I reach in his cage anymore. He seems to be eating the lettuce I put in there for him, but I'm afraid that he's too small to figure out and use the water bottle. Is there another way to get water to a rabbit? Are dishes of water okay?

Anyway, a thread about a baby bunny isn't complete without photos... so

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v117/26/116/13907182/n13907182_40376950_7627.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v117/26/116/13907182/n13907182_40376952_8000.jpg

Oh, and any ideas for names?? I'm actually not sure yet if it's a boy or a girl, haha.

JohnnyNemesis
08-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Awww, so cute! What are you going to eat it with?

drex878
08-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Nice bunny.

:D

...name it Lenny.

Jakebert
08-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Awww. Wook at da widdle bunny!

I literally lol'd at this.

mrconeman
08-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Seriously, name it Anya.

nieh
08-11-2007, 07:45 PM
He can't be more than a few weeks old, and I'm wondering if anyone knows any advice on how to tame it. So far, he's letting me pet him after a couple hours of trying. He doesn't run away when I reach in his cage anymore. He seems to be eating the lettuce I put in there for him, but I'm afraid that he's too small to figure out and use the water bottle.

There's really no trick to taming something like that, and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to do it. Wild rabbits are notorious for going into shock and not eating enough when they're taken in and possibly dying as a result. That said, he's probably better off with you guys than he would've been on his own. Just be patient and don't try to force yourself on it by reaching for it (unless you have to for cleaning/feeding/etc) until it starts getting comfortable with you nearby. It could take a few weeks before it starts acting completely normal around you. You may want to stick your arm in the cage for like 5-10 minutes at a time, again, without reaching for the bunny, so it's able to go up to you on its own free will and familiarize itself with you and your scent.
Is the water bottle low enough that it could stumble up to it without actively looking for it? It's more likely to randomly sniff it and accidentally get water and learn that way than if it's high up enough that it has to make an effort.

Llamas
08-11-2007, 09:40 PM

I also literally lol'd at that.

Seriously, name it Anya.

NERD. :P I do love the idea, though...

There's really no trick to taming something like that, and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to do it. Wild rabbits are notorious for going into shock and not eating enough when they're taken in and possibly dying as a result.
omd :( I would seriously cry...

That said, he's probably better off with you guys than he would've been on his own. Just be patient and don't try to force yourself on it by reaching for it (unless you have to for cleaning/feeding/etc) until it starts getting comfortable with you nearby. It could take a few weeks before it starts acting completely normal around you. You may want to stick your arm in the cage for like 5-10 minutes at a time, again, without reaching for the bunny, so it's able to go up to you on its own free will and familiarize itself with you and your scent.

This is a good idea, to have him approach my arm... at this point, he is calm when I hold him, though. He skitters away when I first reach to pet him, but when I try a second time, he's fine and lets me hold him. He's very calm like that, too. I'll try putting my arm in there a while and letting him approach me, but he seems very reserved right now, so he might not bother. He's not really exploring at this point.

Is the water bottle low enough that it could stumble up to it without actively looking for it? It's more likely to randomly sniff it and accidentally get water and learn that way than if it's high up enough that it has to make an effort.
Yeah, it's about at the level his head is at when he's walking. It's at the lowest point it could possibly be. I really hope he figures it out... I was just gone for like 3 hours, and I really hope that he explored his cage while I was gone, because he's in the same area he was when I left. I really, really hope he doesn't die. :( :(

Sunny
08-11-2007, 10:22 PM
awww baby bunneh!

you could give him water with an eyedropper. then again, he doesn't look *that* small... hm.

name him lawrence! :D

Lizardus
08-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Name him Pedro, and he'll make all your dreams come true.

Thomas
08-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Has anyone else noticed the irony in her avatar?

OffspringPsycho
08-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Nice bunny.

:D

...name it Lenny.:D

10chrlmt

killer_queen
08-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Aww, I want a bunny too! It looks so cute. Just like I do. That's why you should name him Gülşah.

Paint_It_Black
08-12-2007, 06:20 AM
All wild animals run the risk of dying. Tame ones, too. Personally, I would have taken it to a safe spot and released it.

Lizardus
08-12-2007, 12:06 PM
All wild animals run the risk of dying. Tame ones, too. Personally, I would have taken it to a safe spot and released it.

Like an oven.

HeadAroundU
08-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Aw, cute. Name him HAU. Bunny HAU.

Llamas
08-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I went to the pet place today and told them the situation. They said that he probably is better off with me, and I can keep him and such, but that he takes a lot of special care. He can't have normal food, so I have to feed him formula... he can't have litter, so I had to put towels in his cage (ew)... and I had to buy a heating pad to put underneath. So I spent like $50 today for all this... if he dies, I'm gonna be so mad, haha.

BunnyHAU... that would be so weird.

I'd name him Gülşah, but I don't know how to pronounce it... so that would be kinda awkward... :P

nieh
08-12-2007, 04:21 PM
he can't have litter, so I had to put towels in his cage (ew)

Did they explain why? I don't think I've ever heard that before.

Llamas
08-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Because, like someone mentioned his skin is sensitive. I'm not supposed to touch him much until he's a bit older, and the litter can bother his skin, too.

0r4ng3
08-12-2007, 04:31 PM
All wild animals run the risk of dying. Tame ones, too.
Unless, of course, said animal is immortal.

HeadAroundU
08-12-2007, 04:56 PM
BunnyHAU... that would be so weird.

I'd name him Gülşah, but I don't know how to pronounce it... so that would be kinda awkward... :P
No baby bunny hau? :( :( :(

Guuulsha?...maybe...

Paint_It_Black
08-13-2007, 04:03 AM
Unless, of course, said animal is immortal.

Hi Jesse, I see you and my point are already aquainted.