PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's Non-music Thought of the Night

Jakebert
08-11-2007, 07:12 PM
A few days ago, I was eating at a Wendy's with some friends, when a guy came in wearing his military uniform. Some lady walked up to him, got teary-eyed, and said "thank you for everything you do for our country". Now, being the little jerk that I love to be, I laughed. I couldn't help it, it was just so damn cheesy.

One of my friends got very upset at this, though. He told me that I have to respect anyone in uniform, as it's rude. So for the past few days, I've been kind of running that over in my head.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that being in the army is a pretty selfless gesture, even if it wasn't intended to be so in the first place. But still, does that mean I have to automatically treat anyone in uniform as if they're some kind of God? I don't see how being in the army elevates someone to this God-like status of not being able to be laughed at, questioned, or being exempt from being an asshole.

I know a lot of people in the military that are huge douchebags. One of the biggest assholes I went to school with is now in the Marines. And out of all of the girls who got pregnant in my high school, I'd say that 75-80% were knocked up by guys in the military who were way too old for a 15 year old girl. Anyone who gets an underage girl pregnant but isn't in the military is called a sick, perverted dick. When a guy in the service does it, it gets ignored.

This was kind of all over the place, but I think I raised some semi-interesting points.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that I would have laughed too. And I pretty much agree with everything you said there. I'd like to add something interesting of my own, but I think you pretty much said it all there.

Jebus
08-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Anyone who gets an underage girl pregnant but isn't in the military is called a sick, perverted dick. When a guy in the service does it, it gets ignored.
Really? I don't particularly see any difference in the way military and non-military perverts get treated. I think they both generally go by unnoticed when they knock up 15 year olds. Also, it probably wouldn't matter to the parents if the man is military or not. They'd be pissed either way. Well, that's a different issue though.

I do generally with what you said though. I'd laugh my ass too.

JohnnyNemesis
08-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I generally have trouble respecting any uniform that isn't a firefighter's one. I'd explain why, but I really don't feel like having to defend my arguments later on, because I'm not in the mood.

All About Eve
08-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I agree with JN. Firefighters get more respect from me than most other uniforms unless I know the person.

Jakebert
08-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I agree with JN on the firefighters thing for sure. They have to put up with saving people from situations caused their own stupidity on a daily basis, something that I could never out up with. I respect the local cops here, because they all seem like nice guys, but I don't automatically respect a police officer's uniform.

Jebus: Where I live, it seems to be almost socially acceptable for someone in the services to date a 15 year old, and it's kind of become the norm in some ways. But then again, I live pretty close to a huge redneck/meth/heroin community that has a really skewed sense of right and wrong anyway.

nieh
08-11-2007, 10:22 PM
But then again, I live pretty close to a huge redneck/meth/heroin community that has a really skewed sense of right and wrong anyway.

Most areas near military bases are the same way. At least from what I've seen.

Jakebert
08-11-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't live near a military base though. It's just your average rural community.

wheelchairman
08-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Authority isn't always virtuous and right? Man this was common knowledge on this punk rock board 5 years ago. What happened?

0r4ng3
08-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Coincidentally, I'm watching the South Park episode where Cartman is a cop.

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!

ninthlayer
08-12-2007, 12:40 AM
The few. The proud. The bottom ten percent of your graduating class.

Endymion
08-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Where I live, it seems to be ... socially acceptable for someone ... to date a 15 year old.

where exactly is it that you live?

Paint_It_Black
08-12-2007, 06:15 AM
I would have been amused, but I wouldn't have openly laughed. Assuming the people noticed you, then you're disrespecting the woman at least as much as the soldier, and you don't know her situation. She could have a good or at least understandable reason for acting that way.

I do believe in respecting people such as soldiers. Sure, they can be horrible people just like anyone else, but the job they do earns my respect, even if I don't respect them as human beings. Respect comes in more than one form.

It comes off as if you assume all soldiers are douchebags and child molesters, while she assumes they're all heroes. What's the difference, really? Other than she approached him and told him how she feels.

JohnnyNemesis
08-12-2007, 08:42 AM

There's no way I could ever explain how much I love this.

Jakebert
08-12-2007, 12:49 PM
where exactly is it that you live?

I live in between about 4 small towns in Northeastern Ohio. Two of them are horrible shitholes, and the other 2 are more or less average small towns.

I am totally stealing this.

ninthlayer
08-12-2007, 01:59 PM
It's okay, I Dain'd it from my friend Mike.

Nina
08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I generally respect everyone until they do something to lose my respect.

I really cant relate to wanting to thank a soldier, neither the country I live in nor the country I come from is in such a situation. So it's hard for me to judge whether it's laughable/appropriate or not.

Llamas
08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I generally respect everyone until they do something to lose my respect.

I really cant relate to wanting to thank a soldier, neither the country I live in nor the country I come from is in such a situation. So it's hard for me to judge whether it's laughable/appropriate or not.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with this fully (except that the country I live in is the same as the one I come from).

Andy
08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd like to be in the Army. You get laid for doing nothing, and need no qualifications.