PDA

View Full Version : Rugby World Cup

Sin Studly
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
So, it starts next month. Who's going to be watching?

edit ; until then, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpP3NYGe_k

T-6005
08-17-2007, 01:23 PM
I hope to be able to watch it. Toronto's badly placed for watching, though - matches starting at 8PM local time will be at 2PM for me. I guess I'll just have to find several matches close to my heart and skip out on classes for them.

Sin Studly
08-17-2007, 01:31 PM
What match-ups wouldn't you want to miss? And who do you expect to see take the cup?

.:SMASH:.
08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I will be watching!

I want Australia to take the cup, but it's gonna be close between them and New Zealand...Like it always is...and we can't forget about England either...

But go Australia!

man that youtube video got me pumped!

Alleviate
08-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I hope Australia takes it. It was hard watching a country who plays as boring a game as England does winning it. I just got back from New Zealand about a month ago and they're intent on winning it to the point they've replaced the Kiwi flag with the All Blacks flag in Christchurch and spray painted a few buildings black and white, so if anyone deserves it more than Australia it's the Kiwis.

HeadAroundU
08-19-2007, 05:16 PM
...sissykicking...

Sin Studly
08-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Quiet, soccer-player.

And while I'd like to see Australia win it, I have a feeling the All-Blacks will instead. As long as it's somebody from the Trinations I'm happy, however.

jacknife737
08-20-2007, 02:09 AM
I'll be watching, and (at least at the start) supporting the Canadian team, but since i doubt they'll advance i'll probably end up cheering for either Scotland or England.

Alleviate
08-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Quiet, soccer-player.

And while I'd like to see Australia win it, I have a feeling the All-Blacks will instead. As long as it's somebody from the Trinations I'm happy, however.Yeah thats true. Though South Africa seem to play dirty sometimes, so I'm not to keen on them. I guess as long as France doesn't get it I'm happy.

F@ BANKZ
08-20-2007, 02:55 AM
They took the cup round England and it came to our home town a few months after the win last time. It was fairly pointless since there was nobody of value there but I got to have my photo taken with the rest of the school club in front of it.
I don't upload pictures.

PS: We're winning again.

Autonomist
08-20-2007, 04:01 AM
I'm a little behind here, but what the hell is it doing in France?

Alleviate
08-20-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm a little behind here, but what the hell is it doing in France?It's like the Olympics and Soccer World Cups, it just gets held in a different country every 4 years, France obviously won the bidding.

Mart2Play
08-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I will be supporting any team that beats Australia...just kidding. I`m rooting for my team South Africa, i think they have a pretty good chance of taking it....if they don`t i hope France does, i`m sure home advantage will do them good.
But realistacly i think its between Aus and NZ.

Here is the world rankings(IRB):

1.New Zealend
2.Australia
3.France
4.South Africa
5.Argintina
6.Ireland
7.England (current world title holders)
8.Wales
9.Italy
10.Scotland

To bad i could not get vacation to go watch...the tele it is then.

HeadAroundU
09-03-2007, 05:57 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/soccer.jpg

So when exactly does it start? I'd like to see at least one match with Australia.

T-6005
09-03-2007, 07:38 AM
The opening game is on September 7th - France-Argentina.

If France doesn't walk away from that with a win I will be incredibly disappointed.

Sin Studly
09-04-2007, 03:41 AM
It's usually unthinkable to suggest any of the big 8 will lose a single game to anyone outside the big 8, but Argentina is getting real real good. France's win is extremely likely, but not certain.

snapsleftguitar
09-05-2007, 04:17 PM
We'll answer Ireland's Call! come on Ireland for the rugby world cup this year. tough against new zealand and australia but we'll give it a go.

im going to see the All Blacks play in Edinburgh against Scotland....as Im at University here,cant wait

p.s. quick fact for all you rugby fans, england are the only team in the northern hemisphere to have ever won the rugby world cup....must be that backwards spinning water down there.

calichix
09-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I need to find a sports bar or somewhere to watch it. I'm so in love with anyone in rugby booty shorts.

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
p.s. quick fact for all you rugby fans, england are the only team in the northern hemisphere to have ever won the rugby world cup....must be that backwards spinning water down there.

No, it's just that colonials are tougher than coffin nails.

Anyways, I doubt I'll get up at 3am to watch France vs Argentina, but I'll definitely be watching Australia curbstomp the living fuck out of Japan at 10:30.

T-6005
09-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I am so aggravated by France's performance against Argentina so far. They're made so many mistakes it's almost like they're doing it on purpose. It's pathetic.

Sin Studly
09-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I can't believe you're being beaten by Argentina.

T-6005
09-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Me neither. Our first half's performance was total crap. We seem to be doing better now, but it's really still not up to par.

Sin Studly
09-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Bahhaha, Argentina beat France. Oh how hilarious.

HeadAroundU
09-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm a real man now! I watched it! Bahaha, frogs lost!

Lol, Chabal is such a monster.

T-6005
09-07-2007, 03:39 PM
France played awfully the first half - it's the main reason for the loss. Although there was some redemption to their game the second time around, it just wasn't good enough. France is a much better team than that, and it was just embarrassing to watch.

Andy
09-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I know so little about rugby that it's like a gay guy talking about football, but obviously I hope that England manage to retain the trophy. Granted, it's unlikely as we've been awful over the last 3 years but hope springs a turn.

But deep down inside I have a sneaking suspicion that Ireland are going to have a good tournement. I don't know why, I just feel it.

T-6005
09-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I just want France to beat Ireland, and then Ireland to beat Argentina. I really want Ireland and France to be the 2 teams out of that pool.

We played decent rugby the second half, and if we'd played it the entire time we would easily have dominated the game, but for some odd reason France was absolutely awful the first game, It was honestly pathetic, and if they're going to keep playing like that I'd rather Ireland and Argentina made it out of the pool.

Sin Studly
09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I want Ireland to lose for being too faggy to continue the International Rules series.

Sin Studly
09-16-2007, 06:04 AM
How about those Georgians? Plucky little bastards, ain't they?

In other news, England and France are sucking harder than a seven-year old gypsie girl.

T-6005
09-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Your remarks sound to me particularly unfrench, Thibault. Any Frenchman worth his garlic will tell you that France is capable of the worst and the best, and that both performances against Argentina and Namibia weren't merely within the realm of possibility but actually to be guessed at... While other countries find it easy to just grab their place in the sun, we have to put hurdles and all sorts of obstacles to really shine - but then we can dazzle. I trust le XV de France will sail through, but there is no guarantee at all - it being, after all, French.

P.S.: france-namibia happened here in toulouse, which is like the national capital of rugby? and endless discussions with rugby players and coaches were inevitably to follow, from how rugby is being media-hogged - aggrieved status about those cams in restrooms, now the life in restrooms is hushed and preternaturally quiet... - and how we must have the guts to shatter our opponents and show what we're really worth *rolling eyes, shakes head* it's almost cute when they tell you this... but ain't cute to see them butt heads afterwards *squeamish*

Well, Maria, I have to admit that for a Frenchman I am particularly unfrench in pretty much all aspects of life.

France Namibia wasn't anything special, either - we allowed them to score a try, which should be embarrassing on its own. I find it likely that we will be knocked out by New Zealand after sailing out of our pool a miserable second.

Mota Boy
09-17-2007, 09:03 AM
They show matches at the local pub. I've really gotta go check it out.

Also, next month, just down the street their hosting the Women's Ping Pong World Cup. I'm definitely getting tickets.

jacknife737
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
I can't believe that Canada lost to Fiji......

T-6005
09-17-2007, 01:14 PM
I can't believe that Canada lost to Fiji......
Then you clearly know nothing.

Andy
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
My money has now turned towards South Africa, purely for the monster that is Habana.

jacknife737
09-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Then you clearly know nothing.

Granted i didn't really start to follow the international rugby scene until recently, but last time i checked, wasn't Canada ranked higher then Fiji? i guess i just expected them to do better.

Sin Studly
09-17-2007, 05:23 PM
My money's still on the All-Blacks, but it's become apparant that the cup is definately going to one of the Tri-Nations.

T-6005
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
My money's still on the All-Blacks, but it's become apparant that the cup is definately going to one of the Tri-Nations.
I'm amused by how big Ireland talked before the start of the World Cup.

"Watch us pull off spectacular upsets over every team imaginable to grab ourselves a World Cup this time around!"

Sin Studly
09-20-2007, 03:31 AM
You shoulda heard their talk before the 2006 international rules series.

Mart2Play
09-24-2007, 05:25 AM
I reckon its a Wallabie/All Black vs Springbok final....Its going to be NZ and OZ in the one semi and then South Africa against Scotland/Argintina/France in the other.

F@ BANKZ
10-06-2007, 07:49 AM
We're winning again.

I stand by this, hard luck Australia.

T-6005
10-06-2007, 07:58 AM
The Australians probably have a huge hatred for kicks after the last few times playing England in the RWC.

T-6005
10-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Watching New Zealand France right now. It's about what I expected with a lower scoreline.

Wow - 18-13 is a lot better than I expected 64 minutes in. Especially with 127 tackles by France and only 29 from New Zealand.

T-6005
10-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Hell yes - what a comeback to win! Go France!

F@ BANKZ
10-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Hell yes - what a comeback to win! Go France!

Don't get your hopes up too much, next round, we're going to kick them out.

T-6005
10-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Don't get your hopes up too much, next round, we're going to kick them out.

Probably. Because England is playing pretty crap - so it's pretty likely France will lose to them.

F@ BANKZ
10-07-2007, 03:23 AM
lol, we did ok last game, it's just that England has a tendency in any sport to perform miracles then waste it all.

All the rugby yesterday was great.

Bazza
10-07-2007, 09:35 AM
My money is on an England v Scotland final :rolleyes:

I have to say that yesterday was the first and quite possibly only time that I heard a pub full of people actively wanting the French to win, it was impressive. Obviously the French will be difficult opponents, what with them being the host nation, then again anything can happen (as long as JW is in our squad!).

Mart2Play
10-08-2007, 03:36 AM
[quote=Bazza;1047129]My money is on an England v Scotland final :rolleyes:
quote]

Well, how much did you lose on that one?lol

Saturday still cracks me up, wtf?

I think the England/France game is evenly matched, it could go either way...its going to be fun to watch.

I have no doubt in my mind South Africa is going to take down the pumas...sure, Fiji gave them a hard time playin their Fiji style of rugby and SA played a bit messy at times....but the pumas play more of a normal straight foward game and are less physical, the Springboks won`t have a problem and let us not forget the pumas have never beaten them in 11 encounters.

Sin Studly
10-10-2007, 07:31 AM
How in the name of all that is holy did the Wallabies AND All-Blacks get knocked out so quick? Looks like it's South Africa's cup this year.

Bazza
10-14-2007, 04:22 PM
So an England vs South Africa final, I really don't have much hope of England winning this since our game play varies so much (as shown by our thrashing in the group phase). Oh well I'm glad that we've managed to get this far considering our poor form!

the_offsprings_monkey
10-14-2007, 04:45 PM
My monies was on Wales...

Sin Studly
10-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I hope SA crushes you.

edit ; Springbrooks?

Mart2Play
10-15-2007, 02:53 AM
I believe we have the edge over the English mentally and a dangerous back line, i love Habana! I think the forwads will be equally matched.
The english seem to be lacking in the try scoring department, they will most likely rely on Wilkinson`s boot again....it might just turn out to be a kicking match against Montgomery, who can match him any day.

England did amazing to defend the cup....but its time for its return to the southern hemisphere. It feels good to be in the final!

KyleW
10-15-2007, 07:49 AM
My monies was on Wales...

Mine still is.

Bazza
10-20-2007, 01:50 PM
For fucks sake, we shoudl hvae won, we dominated the lasrt 20mins, and yes ive had a bit to drink, gonnna drown my sorrows with more now :(

T-6005
10-20-2007, 01:54 PM
0 tries in a world cup final? Way to go.

Bazza
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM

Meh, there would have been one try if it wasnt; for the vid ref!

Andy
10-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Well for being 'Britfags', the English did a pretty good job of getting to the final.

Still, crap final. Crap tournament. Give me football any day.

KyleW
10-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Ha! We lost miserably!

I knew we would, it was inevitable, I would hve liked us to win but hey, that was never gunna happen.

I almost got beaten up for shouting "Com on south africa" to a bunch of drunks!

F@ BANKZ
10-21-2007, 04:06 AM
I don't care that we lost to be honest, I'm irritated that the game was so boring: 7 penalties and that's it... The only thing that really gets me though was that bloody Aussie racist that disallowed our try.

PS. New record: 4 Brit Posts innarow!

KyleW
10-21-2007, 04:12 AM
Make that 5 brit posts

F@ BANKZ
10-21-2007, 04:19 AM
You ruined it Britfag! Where's my ignore list.

Bazza
10-21-2007, 05:05 AM
I actually think we outplayed ourselves, if it wasn't for a few stupid penalties then maybe the game could have gone a different way. We showed lack of discipline against France, yet didn't ammend that for the final thus losing us the game.

F@ BANKZ
10-21-2007, 05:54 AM
That's true, some of the penalties given were very harsh but the team made some stupid decisions aswell.

Sin Studly
10-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm surprised England scored any tries in the whole world series, all they wanna do is kick goals and make for shitty watching. I'm glad you lost, and I'm glad the dirtiest team in the competition beat you.

Mart2Play
10-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Did you check how Wilkinson greeted the French and English prime minsiters then walked past and ignored ours(SA).....what a bad loser!

They should let the loser of the final play against the winner of the bronze medal play off....i`m sure 3rd placed Argentina would give 2nd place England a good whipping.

Ahhhhh.....it feels good to be champs!

Bazza
10-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Did you check how Wilkinson greeted the French and English prime minsiters then walked past and ignored ours(SA).....what a bad loser!

More likely he didn't have a clue who he (the sa prime minister) was...

Andy
10-22-2007, 03:11 PM

I think you'll find, Mister T, there was one. Only problem was the ref's a fag.