PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks Guitar Solos are a need in every song?

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I dont think their needed in every song but Ijust want to hear you guys' opinion

samr
01-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Not in every song.

I think drum solos are more interesting though.

greencows12
01-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Not in every song.

I think drum solos are more interesting though.exactly what I was gonna say.:D

Offspring_01
01-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Guitar solos are not needed in every song, but I think there should be a drum solo in every song depending on what kind of music it is. Drums kick ass.

L2L1
01-02-2005, 05:44 PM
If you have a 20 miniute solo in everysonfg on your album they get pretty old fast. What makes up a song is the beat and rythem. Not a 20 minute solo.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah thats what Im sayin

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-02-2005, 06:05 PM
btw I like your signature. Great song

Talman
01-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Obviously a guitar solo isn't needed in every song. It takes a good drummer to pull off a decent drum solo though. They're alot harder to put together than guitar solos.
________
SHIP SALE (http://ship-sale.com/)

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-03-2005, 06:10 AM
the bottom line is that solos for any instrument, solos should be interesting and to the point. otherwise.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. i mean, does anyone care about kenny g? :D

Offspring Pyro
01-03-2005, 07:11 AM
no theyre not

intothevalleyofdeath
01-03-2005, 07:43 AM
they should be put into a song unless the construction of the song makes it impossible to fit one in.

Satanic_Surfer
01-03-2005, 09:10 AM
I hate guitar solos... there's nothing more to squeeze out of them anymore!
Ramones, long time ago, made a solo with only one string, that's done. The big guys such as the Heavy Metal and Slayer people already made clear that 3 or 4 solos in every song is BORING... even Murderdolls have too many solos for their own best.
Why dont they all just drop the solos and let us listen to the actual music and let the songs just pass on?!
The Offspring had some good stuff on their self titled... but they were more a raw part of the melody than a solo.

I hate guitar solos! CRUSH THE DIDIDUDUDIIIIS!!!

Hysteria
01-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I dont think their needed in every song but Ijust want to hear you guys' opinion

Definitely not. The occasional song, but thats it.

offspringbaby2004
01-03-2005, 10:40 AM
I don't think they are needed in every song. I do really like guitar solos though. It would get boring if you always had a solo, but they are really cool to watch live :)

~Mandy~

wheelchairman
01-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Guitar solos are fine, but they shouldn't be long. And they shouldn't be like heavy metal solos, those are just pointless in my opinion. A guitar solo should really tell a story, give a feeling.

samr
01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Solos, where they want to show you how good the guitar player is, are usually boring. They should emphasise the music, or help build up to a climax.

The Talking Pie
01-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Solos, where they want to show you how good the guitar player is, are usually boring. They should emphasise the music, or help build up to a climax.

I disagree, because if the guitar player's good then his solo will be good and fitting also. Just look at Van Halen's solo in Beat It; they got who was considered the greatest lead guitarist, and he played a killer solo which made the whole song.

Solos should be compulsory.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-03-2005, 07:13 PM

I agree. And it wont let me post this cos its to short!

nieh
01-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Why dont they all just drop the solos and let us listen to the actual music and let the songs just pass on?!

DAMN THEM!!!! WHY DON'T THEY STOP PLAYING THEIR INSTRUMENTS SO WE CAN HEAR THEIR MUSIC!?!?!?

meaning_of_life
01-03-2005, 08:53 PM
solos are great, it helps break a song up a little and can prevent them from becoming repetitive. some solos are better than others of course. there are songs i listen to only for solos. i love the solo in kids arent alright, green days holiday, and all the rage against the machine solos

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
i agree that solos rock.. whether it be guitar.. or drums.. or trumpet.. wait.. forget that one. but yeah, they do rock, but there is a right time and a wrong time for them, so no, they are not a need.

Jebus
01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Guitar solos are fine, but they shouldn't be long. And they shouldn't be like heavy metal solos, those are just pointless in my opinion. A guitar solo should really tell a story, give a feeling.

The big guys such as the Heavy Metal and Slayer people already made clear that 3 or 4 solos in every song is BORING... even Murderdolls have too many solos for their own best.

You my friend need to stop listening to Slayer and Murder Dolls. Their solos sound awful and random. Go listen to some good metal bands. Now Dream Theater is a good band that could throw in 7 solos in one song and still sound good. In my opinion solos should be mandatory with a few exceptions. I hate todays music with guitar players who think the guitar is only good for playing powerchords over and over again. Solo's definetaly give that extra something to make a good song great. Look at alot all the old bands that people still listen to today like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Boston, and Ozzie. Alot of their success is due to their guitarist and the solo's that they produce. I doubt that there will be any memorable bands in todays music scene that will stay with us forever. There are only a few bands left that still have solos in their music and it's a shame really. The only reason why I love metal is because metal bands are the only bands left that still believe in solo's and because atleast metal bands get creative with their riffs.

Here are some good metal solos that you should probably listen too

In Flames - December Flower
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GULR5J9J9US01OFFJO2ZGWUX6

Dimmu Borgir - Metal Heart
http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3K8VM1YYZNN4Y3JD6DV3Y78V0J

You might want to fast foward to the solo. The vocals are horrible and even I admit that but the solos are great.

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
dimmu kicks ass!

Jebus
01-03-2005, 09:41 PM
I enjoy Dimmu Borgir's music but I just can't stand the god awfull vocals. Well, there seems to be a trade off with every music Genre. While metal has good guitar work, the vocals could sometimes be horrendous. Punk sounds good and it's energetic but it's lacking the in the guitar territory.

Jebus
01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
You probably mean solos from guitarist who just play fast but have no melody to thier solos like Slayer. There are lots of guitarists who are able to show of their skill with speed and still sound good. You just got to know where to look.

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 10:46 PM
about dimmu.. yeah i wouldn't mind if their vocals were a little more.. normal, maybe?

then again.. dexter's voice isn't what you would think of as a lead vocalist. i guess it's just one thing that defines them.

meaning_of_life
01-04-2005, 04:14 AM
i dont really like dimmu borgir, there weird and they scare me with there malices and axes

intothevalleyofdeath
01-04-2005, 05:56 AM
I hate guitar solos... there's nothing more to squeeze out of them anymore!
Ramones, long time ago, made a solo with only one string, that's done. The big guys such as the Heavy Metal and Slayer people already made clear that 3 or 4 solos in every song is BORING... even Murderdolls have too many solos for their own best.
The Offspring had some good stuff on their self titled... but they were more a raw part of the melody than a solo.

I hate guitar solos! CRUSH THE DIDIDUDUDIIIIS!!!

im guessin ur a drummer

wheelchairman
01-04-2005, 06:17 AM
You my friend need to stop listening to Slayer and Murder Dolls. Their solos sound awful and random. Go listen to some good metal bands. Now Dream Theater is a good band that could throw in 7 solos in one song and still sound good. In my opinion solos should be mandatory with a few exceptions. I hate todays music with guitar players who think the guitar is only good for playing powerchords over and over again. Solo's definetaly give that extra something to make a good song great. Look at alot all the old bands that people still listen to today like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Boston, and Ozzie. Alot of their success is due to their guitarist and the solo's that they produce. I doubt that there will be any memorable bands in todays music scene that will stay with us forever. There are only a few bands left that still have solos in their music and it's a shame really. The only reason why I love metal is because metal bands are the only bands left that still believe in solo's and because atleast metal bands get creative with their riffs.

Here are some good metal solos that you should probably listen too

In Flames - December Flower
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GULR5J9J9US01OFFJO2ZGWUX6

Dimmu Borgir - Metal Heart
http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3K8VM1YYZNN4Y3JD6DV3Y78V0J

You might want to fast foward to the solo. The vocals are horrible and even I admit that but the solos are great.

You quoted two different people you realize yes? One of them being me.

Led Zeppelin was a band made up of established artists, I would assume their popularity stems from the reputation of the Yard Birds and the fact that they stole a lot of riffs. But I agree with you, Led Zeppelin did good solos, however that only underlines my points, that a jazzy blues type solo is superior than airheaded guitar solos from unoriginal and braindead heavy metal. And I am talking about stupid bands like Gorky Park and Hammerfall, who while I like them, are truly bland for their genre.

Also, AC/DC is terrible, I can't listen to their music for any long periods of time.

Jebus
01-04-2005, 11:11 AM
You quoted two different people you realize yes? One of them being me
It kind of applied to you too.

Led Zeppelin was a band made up of established artists, I would assume their popularity stems from the reputation of the Yard Birds and the fact that they stole a lot of riffs. But I agree with you, Led Zeppelin did good solos, however that only underlines my points, that a jazzy blues type solo is superior than airheaded guitar solos from unoriginal and braindead heavy metal. And I am talking about stupid bands like Gorky Park and Hammerfall, who while I like them, are truly bland for their genre.\
Ofcouse nothing compares to blues and jazz but metal solos deserve their own special recognition. Either way blues and metal use alot of of the same scales to write solos. I know there's bunch of metal bands with guitarists that don't know what they're doing but all metal solos shouldn't be generalised as mindless and random souding compositions like the way a few of you made it seem. Lets take late Megadeth as an example. Marty Frieman is a musical genius in his own right. I don't think there's that many people who could write solo as melodic and as emotional as Marty Friedman can. He may have been in a metal band but he was able to express himself with the great solos he wrote.

The Talking Pie
01-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Marty Friedman has some of the best solos I've ever heard. It shows also, in that Megadeth only got that kind of commercial recognition while he was in the band.

wheelchairman
01-04-2005, 01:16 PM
From what I've heard of Megadeth, they are rather terrible.

And you are right, of course some Heavy Metal solos are good, it was just a general rule of thumb that metal bands generally don't do good solos.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Well Ive read it all listened to it all and thanks for the opinions

Jojan
01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I hate most solos I hear. They're destroying the song.

xComexOutxAndxPlay
01-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Solos are great, i can agree, but i don't think that every one of them has to be a guitar...why not a bass or drum?

extraordinarygoodgrocer
01-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Solos in punk should be quite short (10-30 seconds isn't too bad) as many of the songs are quite short often under 3 minutes. Bad Religion are good at this. 'Cease' is a good example, as are most of the songs on 'The Gray race'

Solos in metal should also reflect the length of the song. If the song is an epic, long solos are fine, just so long as the solos are well written and not repetitive. (Usually it's better not to extend them far beyond a couple of minutes)

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Solos are great, i can agree, but i don't think that every one of them has to be a guitar...why not a bass or drum?
I think drum solos get the person listening to it pumped up idk why but I do. Bass solos are kinda boring I think

jerkec
01-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Bass solo's are not the best, but i think it will hear good in hard rock and that cine of music.

intothevalleyofdeath
01-18-2005, 05:44 AM
some bass solos are sweet...but only if theyre like fleas or that guy from primus

Jebus
01-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Solos in punk should be quite short (10-30 seconds isn't too bad) as many of the songs are quite short often under 3 minutes. Bad Religion are good at this. 'Cease' is a good example, as are most of the songs on 'The Gray race'

Solos in metal should also reflect the length of the song. If the song is an epic, long solos are fine, just so long as the solos are well written and not repetitive. (Usually it's better not to extend them far beyond a couple of minutes)
I completly agree with this word by word. This should be the new rule of thumb for every punk and metal song.

Dexter_Holland
02-02-2005, 01:15 AM
i don't think in every song, but like the solo in the kids arent allright is cool. like these metallica solo's and stuff, i dont want that in every song. i play the guitar, but a bass solo is cool :D

Billy Joe(Thomas)
02-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Of course not , but depends of the kind of music u r playing, a good reef is enough but not so easy like blink 182

Panzerfaust92
02-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I like songs where the guitar solo is a real punch