PDA

View Full Version : Ash

T-6005
08-27-2007, 09:55 AM
I tried searching for a thread about Ash - somehow I feel that there might be one, but I searched Ash and the search option told me my criteria word was too short. So that's just great.

In any case, I feel like discussing this band, which has actually been one of the few that I haven't stopped listening to in recent years. I got the Meltdown album a few years back, and I still love listening to it every so often. I also recently got Twilight of the Innocents, and although it's not quite as flashy as Meltdown, I think given some time it could also grow to be one of my favorite albums.

Ash also happens to be one of my favorite bands due to the undeniable guitar talent of Tim Wheeler - and by that I don't mean that he's the greatest guitarist I've ever heard, because he's not. But I enjoy every single solo I've ever heard in an Ash song (minus the ones off Nu-clear sounds, there was just something wrong with that album in general), and they all seem fresh and original compared with any other band's guitar work.

So, what do you all think of this band, and why?

mrconeman
08-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I <3 Ash. I think AAE here likes them too, there was a thread, but that was ages ago. I seen them live a couple years back, I like that there is a genuinely talented Irish band still going.

You may or may not be giving Tim a bit too much credit for the guitar work on Meltdown. I agree with everything you said about it, the album has great guitar work, but they had two guitarists at the time, the other being Charlotte Hatherly, who was a good player, before she left.

Oh, and I haven't heard the new album yet, in general it gets a recommendation then?

Piedude
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Clones is a damn good song

T-6005
08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
I never cared all that much for Clones, to be honest. My favorite Ash songs would have to be Vampire Love, Evil Eye, Detonator and Out of the Blue. Since I got this new album, though, I've found myself listening a lot to Twilight of the Innocents and End of the World.

Bazza
08-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I really like their song Girl From Mars and a couple of others, but other than that I've never really got into them.

T-6005
10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I bought 1977 a little while back and started listening to it, but it really didn't grow on me. I liked the very first track, Lose Control (still do), and got pumped for a great album. These hopes were shattered from the 2nd track onwards.