PDA

View Full Version : Rove and Gonzalez resign

leo3375
08-28-2007, 07:38 PM
So what do you think? Is this a case of rats leaving the sinking ship, or did they feel that they had accomplished what they came to do?

Jakebert
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
It's easily the rats leaving the sinking ship. They know how bad they looked when they lied, and this is their only option because people are finally waking up.

BREAK
08-30-2007, 09:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/J_Rock/gywo.jpg

wheelchairman
08-30-2007, 10:32 AM
I haven't really paid attention or read about this issue so I can't really give an opinion. I just wonder why you guys came to the conclusion that it's rats leaving a sinking ship? Let's be analytical about it.

Two men resign.
Did they resign voluntarily?
Do we know if they resigned voluntarily?
What can we assume with what we know and what the administration has done before? (and what previous administrations have done before.)
What benefits are to be gained for the current administration by their resignation?
How has the media portrayed the resignation?
What was the big bad news about the administration before their resignation, and how much space is being given to the "big bad news" now?
Does anything seem odd about the resignation? (who what when where why?)
What kinds of gains/losses can the opposition make from their resignation?
Have they lost ammo? Or is their ammo less effective? (talking about rhetoric.)

I could go on but this would be the gist of what I would think about if I had to talk about this article.

Jakebert
08-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Both Gonzalez and Rove were digging themselves into huge holes in the last few months. Gonzalez especially was trying the noose around his own neck by being one of the worst liars I've ever seen.

And now, in the midst of all of this, they both resign. Seems odd to me.

nieh
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
True, but "rats leaving the sinking ship" is not really the best analogy. That would imply that they're trying to distance themselves from a 'sinking' administration so that they don't lose their careers by being associated with it. In actuality, I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite is true where the administration probably put pressure on them to resign so all their lies don't reflect poorly on the administration as a whole.

Jakebert
08-31-2007, 12:40 PM
That's true. I guess I kind of mis-interpreted it then.

Tony Snow just resigned too, but it's because of his cancer.