PDA

View Full Version : Bass.

Lodat225
08-31-2007, 07:13 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

drex878
08-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey man. I know exactly how you feel. I picked up the bass just at the beggining of june...and its come really easy to me.

I tried played regular guitar for a while...but I couldn't get it down. Thats why I started playing the bass. I started out with a $200 basic Ibanez and a simple Behringer Amp. I play the 4-string (which I recommend), the tabs are easy to read, and the first day I had Bad Habit and Seven Nation Army down.

I now have my own band and upgraded equipment, in fact i just got myself a $800 Laguna Ocean TB75 4-String Neck-Thru Electric Bass.

May the Bass be with you dude.

Little_Miss_1565
08-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't say it's easier or harder than guitar, it's just...different. Both guitar and bass are ridiculously easy to play when it comes to simple stuff, but if you want to get into crazy bouncy stuff like ska basslines, or slap and pop funk lines, or disco shit, it's fucking hard. I was always able to play and sing better when I was playing guitar and singing, but when I switched to bass about a year and a half ago, I had to completely relearn how to be able to sing and play at the same time. I'm thinking about kick drums instead of finding whatever beat I feel like finding on guitar.

I'm happiest as a bass player.

mrconeman
09-01-2007, 03:55 AM
What she said. Neither are hardest, and difficulty isn't really a totally definable thing when it comes to an instrument.

Which should you start on?
the cheapest. Seriously, when you begin theres no point shelling out for some awesome bass (or any instrument really) because you don't know if you're going to stick at it. Try a few really cheap ones, and see which shape you like best, if you stick at it for about a year, then you can worry about moving on to something more expensive. For a first time guitar I'd never spend anything more than 150, probably a little different for bass, and dollars, but I'll let you or someone else work that out.

coke_a_holic
09-01-2007, 11:41 AM
The one piece of advice I give to bass players: It is much more fun to play bass than it is to be a bass player unless your band is a trio or something.

In my band, we're mostly vocals and brass-based, which completely drowns out the bass part, and makes me sadz because I love playing complex basslines and I hate not being heard.

On gear: get a Squier bass; I prefer the J-Bass, but I guess a P-bass is more practical for most types of music that teenagers play; they cost less than $200 and don't sound like ass, so it's okay. Go to a guitar shop and tell the guy you want a practice bass amp that's small enough to be cheap but big enough to practice with a drummer and a guitarist. He should be able to get you something.

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
In my band, we're mostly vocals and brass-based, which completely drowns out the bass part, and makes me sadz because I love playing complex basslines and I hate not being heard.

There are 10 people in my band and only one bass player (me), and no one ever has a problem hearing me. You can even hear the bass very clearly in Oingo Boingo. What are you playing through? Me, I've got a 300 watt Hartke head through a 2 x 15 Hartke cab. And J-bass all the way. Fuck Squier, though. Fender.

Apathy
09-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I like Ibanez Basses. But for the first one just get whatever is the cheapest, which will probably be a Squier.

coke_a_holic
09-01-2007, 10:40 PM
There are 10 people in my band and only one bass player (me), and no one ever has a problem hearing me. You can even hear the bass very clearly in Oingo Boingo. What are you playing through? Me, I've got a 300 watt Hartke head through a 2 x 15 Hartke cab. And J-bass all the way. Fuck Squier, though. Fender.

There are only seven people in my band; you win. I picked up bass last year because every band already has a guitarist (except for my school jazz band, which I'm now the guitarist of :cool: :cool: :cool:), which is why I just picked up the cheapest J-Bass I could find in my area. I play through my 200 watt guitar amp, so the problem is very obvious that the sound is just too trebly for... anything.

But still, unless you're in a bass heavy band (which not many young bands are), the bass is neglected for the guitar.

Little_Miss_1565
09-02-2007, 10:09 AM
But still, unless you're in a bass heavy band (which not many young bands are), the bass is neglected for the guitar.

Get some proper equipment and there will be no neglecting your part. My band isn't particularly bass-heavy. And yeah, playing through a guitar amp? Your problem is obvious. :)

T-6005
09-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Playing guitar through a bass amp can sound quite nice, but I shudder to think of the other way around.

mrconeman
09-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I was just going to say that. Playing guitar through a bass amp can get some seriously nice clean tones. When the guitar amps in our school all died I played through bass amps for awhile, they sounded great clean, and pretty alright with a distortion pedal.

coke_a_holic
09-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Geddy Lee uses a guitar amp.

I learned that six months after I started playing the bass through my guitar amp, when I heard that you can seriously damage amps with the way I've been using mine.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
09-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Start with some easy songs like Around The World by Red Hot Chili Peppers and work your way up. I suggest buying a Fender for your first bass.

(p.s. for all the idiots who don't understand sarcasm... that's what this post is)

German Andres
09-04-2007, 05:42 AM
Maybe you could start with a basic bass, just for the beggining. Then you could upgrade your equipment. Before getting into songs, I`d reccomend you to work a lot with fingering exercices, using you fingers as well as the pick. I know that its boring, but trust me, It worth it.
And maybe the most important thing, don`t get stuck in only one genre, try to play and learn all the generes even if you don`l like them.
It`ll surprise you the fact that your music tastes will increase greatly. As your music tastes grow, the more skillful you will become, you will have a lot of stuff to improvise and create. Hope this help!

RobinoZombie
09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Start with some easy songs like Around The World by Red Hot Chili Peppers and work your way up. I suggest buying a Fender for your first bass.

(p.s. for all the idiots who don't understand sarcasm... that's what this post is)

not too be a smartass, but that song aint too hard and you can get fenders cheap;);)

German Andres
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
not too be a smartass, but that song aint too hard and you can get fenders cheap;);)

Mmmmmm I think it`s a difficult song to start with. Very difficult now that I come to it. Maybe Red Hot Chilli Peppers is not the best choice for bass begginers....

Marco
09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Mmmmmm I think it`s a difficult song to start with. Very difficult now that I come to it. Maybe Red Hot Chilli Peppers is not the best choice for bass begginers....
But he could always try Hump de Bump :D

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
im thinking about picking up the bass myself. people have told me it seems pretty easy since there are only four strings, but of course it cant be that easy

coke_a_holic
09-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Duh, of course it's easier. Also, the trombone is even EASIER, it has NO STRINGS.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 03:53 PM
thats not what i was saying. first of all i stated that someone else told me that, and second it was not a comparison between any two instruments

mrconeman
09-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Well yeah. But the point he made can't be ignored, you can't judge how difficult an instrument is (or to be more accurate, how good you will be at it) by the amount of strings/keys/buttons/holes/whatever it has.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 04:07 PM
yeah, but if you put a bass and guitar side by side, and the bass had less strings, wouldnt that make the abss easier?

mrconeman
09-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Physically, you could argue, maybe. But musically definitely not. I'm of the belief that you just can't compare instruments in terms of difficulty, it just doesn't work like that. There's too much different technique involved, it's like, anyone can say the bass is easier than guitar if they wanna play the bass badly (unfortunatly there is alot of bad bass playing out there, which causes this belief that it's somehow inherently inferior to the guitar), but playing a bass well takes just as much skill as learning to play the guitar well. And this is coming from a guitarist, who has no real interest in playing the bass (though I do dabble).

It works in reverse too. I mean, I don't even think the electric guitar and acoustic guitar should be compared too heavily, and you play them exactly the same. And then theres a nylon string classical etc etc. It's all just like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm tired, and I think I've said this all before on this forum a few times, so I didn't really get my point across very well.

nieh
09-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Geddy Lee uses a guitar amp.

I learned that six months after I started playing the bass through my guitar amp, when I heard that you can seriously damage amps with the way I've been using mine.

I've heard that the bass player from the Mars Volta plays through a guitar amp while Omar plays through a bass amp.

Little_Miss_1565
09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
On my band's album we ran the guitar player's amp through my 2 x 15 bass cab for one song and it sounded siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Hot.

Anyway, I'll say it again, the basics on both guitar and bass are both stupidly easy. But because the bass' frets are so much farther apart and the strings are bigger, they play completely differently and have a completely different level of difficulty. When I go back and dick around on someone's guitar, it feels incredibly easy to me. I'm also fucking rad at guitar, so :P haha

BREAK
09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I hold a hell of a lot more respect for people who can play the bass well than for those who can play guitar well. It's just such a...fuckin...not overrated, but overglamorized instrument that, in truth, most people approach the exact same way. Get a bunch of beginning/new guitarists together, they all want to sound like their heroes. With the bass, there aren't as many obvious people to emulate, so there's more possibility for developing your own style. But then maybe playing guitar has always come naturally for me while bass never has. Writing basslines is fun, playing them is a bitch and I've always been bad at reading notes in the bass clef.:( For some reason, it seems to me like people who choose to pick up the bass are more likely to be interested in music as an art form...not the SHITTY bassists, of course, but the ones who really try to bring something to the bands they're in. Because you KNOW you're going to be ignored unless you try to come up with something that might catch people's attention. Depending on what kind of music you're playing, of course. Whatever. I just really admire good bass players. Plug em in.

ruroken
09-27-2007, 10:44 AM
off-subject but something I've been really curious about;
Can anyone play the bassline in the Chrono Trigger Battle theme flawlessly?

mrconeman
09-27-2007, 10:53 AM
A dude from this forum called Homer covered it. I'm not sure if it's him or his bands bassist playing the bass, but it was pretty awesome.

It's in this thread:

http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30242

Homer
09-29-2007, 05:59 PM
A dude from this forum called Homer

Who?

But yeah, I played it. Though I must confess that I real-life Dain'd some parts a bit to cover up some small hiccups.