PDA

View Full Version : College Football

Camel Filters
08-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Get ready for A 70-0 beatdown for the Badgers against Washington St. tomorrow.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
08-31-2007, 08:38 PM
I'll be in this thread a lot this season.

I'll start by saying the same ol'-same ol' Michigan's offense is going to tear your teams apart!

And why the hell is Michigan playing Appalachain State? A Division I-AAAAAA team?

Camel Filters
08-31-2007, 08:44 PM
And why the hell is Michigan playing Appalachain State? A Division I-AAAAAA team?

That's the Big Ten for you. every team plays against pussy opponents in the first 3 or 4 games before they start confrence play. If they lose anyone of those games, there chanches of a major bowl game is done.

Llamas
08-31-2007, 08:50 PM
That's not true... last year, the Gophers lost to I think California or something crappy, and they went to the Insight bowl.

Anyway, Mason was FIRED last year (praise the lord)... the new coach actually seems to have a positive attitude, and has some great history. Mason was a huge hack, and the "FIRE GLEN MASON" folks finally got our dream come true. This year, I think the Gophers have a shot at much more than the past couple years...

It sucks, though, because I'm living in Milwaukee... so I can't go to every Gopher game. I plan to make it up to Minneapolis for the game against Wisconsin, and make it to Iowa for the game against the Hawkeyes.

Camel Filters
08-31-2007, 09:00 PM
That's not true... last year, the Gophers lost to I think California or something crappy, and they went to the Insight bowl.

I said Major bowl game. The rose bowl, the orange bowl, the sugar bowl, and the Cotten bowl.

Theres a million different bowl games. Any team can make it to a bowl game. All they have to do is finish with a winning record.

Llamas
08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
I said Major bowl game. The rose bowl, the orange bowl, the sugar bowl, and the Cotten bowl.

Theres a million different bowl games. Any team can make it to a bowl game. All they have to do is finish with a winning record.

Oh yeah I misread your post. But that said, usually teams that get into major bowl games are undefeated in the season, or with just one loss. And if a team loses against one of those shitty teams, that's NOT going to be their only loss... I have a feeling that, if a team lost one shitty pre-season game, and then won out the big ten, they'd still have a huge chance at a major bowl.

All About Eve
08-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Go Dawgs.

Little_Miss_1565
08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
I decided to go home for the weekend to hang out with my mom and drink beer in the backyard, and it turns out that it's the first ND game of the year. Fuuuuuuuuuck. I'm pissed, because I wanted to go shopping tomorrow. AND THERE'S NO MORE BRADY QUINN WITH A NICE TIGHT BUTT TO STARE AT DURING THE GAMES.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Excuse me while I go kill myself.

momo1tx
09-01-2007, 02:20 PM
hahaha, typical michigan. I can't laugh much though, all we did was play Youngstown State. This year there are some pathetic nonconference schedules.

Camel Filters
09-01-2007, 03:57 PM

So they can start the season with a loss.

Apathy
09-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Down with Michigan.

It sucks, though, because I'm living in Milwaukee.

I was in Milwaukee today. Whereabouts do you live?

Pm me if it's too personal for some reason. Don't worry, I'm not stalkerish I'm just curiousish.

THERE'S NO MORE BRADY QUINN WITH A NICE TIGHT BUTT TO STARE AT DURING THE GAMES
He's on the Cleveland Browns now... If anything you'll be seeing more of him. Well, Maybe if the browns didn't suck you would be.

RickyCrack
09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Fucking hell yea Iowa Hawkeyes!
Our defense was solid all fucking day. Our offense was straggling at the beginning but we really picked it up. [hep hep hep] I can only see our offense becoming a lot stronger once Andy Brodel and Tony Moeaki get used to their new positions.

Llamas
09-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Haha, did Michigan actually lose today? That's rich. *I don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan* :D

Apathy, I actually live in New Berlin. It's just easier to say Milwaukee.

edit: Ricky, I think I'm coming to Iowa for the Gophawkeye game. :D That is, if everybody doesn't puss out and will actually go with me. Silly Minnesotans.

RickyCrack
09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Either make those plans or come down to ames [a really shit town.]

maek it soon, lol.

p.s. gophers are going down this year.

Llamas
09-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Ames is where Iowa State is, right? That's where my friend lives that I want to visit (she's going to ISU for grad school). So I have intentions of going to Ames, anyway. So whatevah! I do what I want!

p.s. you say that like it's some sort of newsflash :P

RickyCrack
09-01-2007, 05:24 PM
ewwwwwwww iowa state. Iowa city is much better, and contains no cow fields within the immediate downtown area.

Apathy
09-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm in New Berlin right now! I'll wave at some random houses on my drive home in case you're in them.

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2007, 05:33 PM
So the Irish just had their asses handed to them by the Yellowjackets in a most embarassing manner. Great way to start the season, guys! Zero passing yards!

opivy21
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
My Sooners are looking fantastic. I predict a high quality season.

Llamas
09-01-2007, 07:29 PM
ewwwwwwww iowa state. Iowa city is much better, and contains no cow fields within the immediate downtown area.
wtf... I thought you just told me to come to Ames... now you're telling me not to?

I'm in New Berlin right now! I'll wave at some random houses on my drive home in case you're in them.
Haha. I was just at Taco Bell. New Berlin is a happenin' city ;)

Apathy
09-01-2007, 08:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-appstate090107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"Appalachian State leaves with its most profound victory ever and a check for $400,000 that was supposed to be their pay for getting punished."

niiiiice

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Boo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3001214&sportCat=ncf

"The only thing that could make Michigan fans even begin to forgive and forget would be a Big Ten title, complete with a defeat of Ohio State along the way."

Damn straight we won't.

Thomas
09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
*sigh*

go wildcats.

:(

opivy21
09-02-2007, 08:59 AM
79-10. Hooray.

Not Ozymandias
09-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey, remember when Notre Dame was ranked #2 at the beginning of last season? XD

TBD
09-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Cal's going to crush Oregon today. It won't be nearly as close as everyone thinks it will be.

All About Eve
09-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Cal's going to crush Oregon today. It won't be nearly as close as everyone thinks it will be.
Oh yeah, gigantic defeat...:rolleyes:

Anyone else watching Auburn take Florida down? I sure hope the score stays this way.

And btw: Bulldogs (of Georgia) are coming back.

opivy21
09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Dammit. If OU has to lose, why not to Texas?

TBD
09-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh yeah, gigantic defeat...:rolleyes:

Alright, Oregon is way better than I gave them credit for, they looked really good today. But California WILL beat USC. Mark my words.

All About Eve
09-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Dammit. If OU has to lose, why not to Texas?
Both teams are overrated.

Alright, Oregon is way better than I gave them credit for, they looked really good today. But California WILL beat USC. Mark my words.
Probably/hopefully.

Mota Boy
09-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Texas is especially overrated. They've survived a scare almost every game this season.

I've never found myself hating a team so much so fast as I hate Alabama. I almost hate them more than South Carolina.

It's truly amazing that I can be disappointed with Vanderbilt at 3-1. This was/is one of our best shots in years at a bowl game, and while still feasible, I'm incredibly underwhelmed by our offense's performance thus far, especially our kicker and QB. Hopefully we'll randomly step up against enough SEC teams (while not faltering horribly against any smaller teams) to pull off a post-season.

opivy21
09-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I know that Texas is overrated, but losing to them wouldn't screw up OU's rank like losing to Colorado will.

TBD
10-07-2007, 02:52 AM
GO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARSGO GOLDEN BEARS

DESEAN JACKSON FOR HEISMAN. NATE LONGSHORE FOR OVERRATED WHITE QUARTERBACK WITH A GOOD ARM WHO WINS AND GETS DRAFTED TOO HIGH BECAUSE HIS TEAMMATES ARE GOOD!

Fuck USC sucks. LSU should have lost. Go Golden Bears, our 2007 national champs. Or 2008 cause the bowl is then.

Llamas
10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
The Gophers sure suck something awful this year. :) Instead of being average/middle of the road, we're bringing up the rear of the big ten!!! The Gophers are never consistent, though... they either start the season awesome and then lose out the last few games, or they start out shit and then win at the end. So there's a chance they'll come back.

The big ten in general is really lame this year. OSU is ranked 3 right now... who are 1 and 2 currently?

arak0r
10-07-2007, 01:44 PM
whoa boston college, at least one of my catholic schools is givin me somethin to cheer for, though notre dame did finally get a win last night. normally id cheer for the irish but bc is undefeated, they need to keep winning to stay up in the top 5. notre dame is goin nowhere this year

RickyCrack
10-07-2007, 02:03 PM
The Gophers sure suck something awful this year. :) Instead of being average/middle of the road, we're bringing up the rear of the big ten!!! The Gophers are never consistent, though... they either start the season awesome and then lose out the last few games, or they start out shit and then win at the end. So there's a chance they'll come back.

The big ten in general is really lame this year. OSU is ranked 3 right now... who are 1 and 2 currently?

This is saying a lot considering the state that Iowa is in this year.

also it's LSU and USC i believe who are 1 and 2.

All About Eve
10-07-2007, 02:59 PM
NOT AFTER STANDFORD BEAT USC.

Fuck yes. Go nerdy boys!

Not Ozymandias
10-07-2007, 06:20 PM
With BC at #4 I'm buying canned food and shotguns. The end must be fucking nigh.

All About Eve
10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
*gator chomp*

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, so Michigan is about to lose to MSU because we fucking suck. I'm depressed.

But at least when we own Ohio State, everyone will know Ohio State lost to a team that was crushed by Oregon at home, and lost to Michigan State and a I-AA team.

And ruin THEIR championship hopes.

Edit: Well, we won. Nevermind.

BustedKnuckles
11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, so Michigan is about to lose to MSU because we fucking suck. I'm depressed.

But at least when we own Ohio State, everyone will know Ohio State lost to a team that was crushed by Oregon at home, and lost to Michigan State and a I-AA team.

And ruin THEIR championship hopes.

Edit: Well, we won. Nevermind.

Haha...oh ye of little faith.

All About Eve
11-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Georgia just beat Troy.

Championship!

Knowshon Moreno has over 1k yards for the season now, as a freshman, and was sharing duties with Thomas Brown for the first half of the season as well. He's fuckin' amazing. 188 last week against Florida, and 197 today, 3 TDs both games.

If Georgia can beat Auburn and Kentucky, and if Tennessee loses at least one of its games against Arkansas (who's really getting healthy/good), Vandy, or Kentucky, then UGA can win the SEC East. Fucking yes.

Edit: Vanderbilt, the worst record in the SEC East, is 5-4; one game away from bowl eligibility. When your whole division is Bowl Eligible, you know you've got a good division. 3/6 in the SEC West are eligible, with two more at 5 wins also. SEC is unbelievable.

Camel Filters
11-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Fuck the Badgers. They can''t even beat the #1 ranked team in the nation. How Pathetic is that? They'll probebly go to a bowl game against Applachain St. and lose just like Michigan did.

Llamas
11-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Well the BADgers will lose to Michigan and beat Minnesota (lol)... Purdue will win their last two games. So Wisconsin will stay beneath Purdue... Illinois will lose to OSU and beat Northwestern... so they'll probably stay beneath Wisconsin... meaning Wisconsin will finish up number 4 in the Big Ten... probably going somewhere in Florida or Arizona... I'd make fun, but my Gophers have no chance of even being in Detroit this winter.

All About Eve
11-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Boston College lost at home to an unranked, arguably BAD Florida State team.

All order is restored.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-04-2007, 12:26 PM
I think Oregon definetely deserves to be higher than LSU. And I never thought I'd live to see the day that Kansas scares me. Kansas should definetely get higher.

All About Eve
11-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Kansas is a good team, but not a top team. Right now I'd say Oregon* deserves the title the most.

*Out of all the teams not including Georgia.

Mota Boy
11-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Edit: Vanderbilt, the worst record in the SEC East, is 5-4; one game away from bowl eligibility. When your whole division is Bowl Eligible, you know you've got a good division. 3/6 in the SEC West are eligible, with two more at 5 wins also. SEC is unbelievable.Yeah, and the unfortunate thing about that is that, with the way the season is going, six wins probably won't be enough to ensure a bowl game (though if LSU wins out and plays in the title game, it'll free up another SEC slot). Most likely Vandy will have to win seven, and for some reason I feel like we have a better chance against UT and Wake than UK. I'm still pissed that Georgia just managed to squeak by.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Well, I'm somewhat pleased with the rankings. Kansas is where they should be. Oregon should still be ahead of LSU. I have no idea why Florida is ahead of Hawaii and USC. And it sucks how no one dropped out of the top eleven, leaving Michigan at the same exact spot it was in.

All About Eve
11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, and the unfortunate thing about that is that, with the way the season is going, six wins probably won't be enough to ensure a bowl game (though if LSU wins out and plays in the title game, it'll free up another SEC slot). Most likely Vandy will have to win seven, and for some reason I feel like we have a better chance against UT and Wake than UK. I'm still pissed that Georgia just managed to squeak by.
Yeah, but the whole division being eligible is still pretty impressive either way.

I really think Vandy could upset UT. Vandy's strong point has been the defense lately, and Tennessee's been leaning pretty heavily on Foster. If they can limit Foster, they win.
---
UK is going to be a tough game. I'm not looking forward to the game two weeks from now.
---
You have to admit the irony of Georgia beating Vandy in the EXACT SAME way (kick at the last second) as the year before in the same situation (opposing team's homecoming) is pretty neat, though. And since I'm not actually in Vandy yet, I still root for Georgia.

Well, I'm somewhat pleased with the rankings. Kansas is where they should be. Oregon should still be ahead of LSU. I have no idea why Florida is ahead of Hawaii and USC. And it sucks how no one dropped out of the top eleven, leaving Michigan at the same exact spot it was in.
Florida is a better team than Hawaii and USC.

TBD
11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Florida is a better team than Hawaii and USC.

This is very true. However, I'd love to see Hawaii make a major bowl game to be able to play an elite team (if any teams even qualify as elite this year) to see how Colt Brennan holds up in that pass offense. I'd imagine a score of like 35-56 or something if Hawaii played a top 5 team with a good offense.

All About Eve
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
No way, man. 5 TDs on a quality top 5? Maybe OSU, but Oregon? Or even LSU, or any other SEC team for that matter? I doubt it.

TBD
11-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Interesting fact:

Charlie Ward won the 1993 national championship and the heisman trophy as the nation's best college football player while quarterbacking Florida State.

He wasn't picked in the NFL draft.
He was a first rounder in the NBA draft.
He was selected twice in the MLB draft.

All About Eve
11-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh Oregon, oh Oregon.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Indeed.

--
Now, this is it. THIS IS IT!
Mike Hart, Chad Henne, and Jake Long came back to win at least this one game:

AND THIS IS IT!

This is where we find out if those three deserve to be labeled as heroes in Michigan history.

TBD
11-16-2007, 11:40 PM
No way, man. 5 TDs on a quality top 5? Maybe OSU, but Oregon? Or even LSU, or any other SEC team for that matter? I doubt it.

I think Tim Rattay played Nebraska or something when he went to a college with a great run and shoot (Louisiana tech I think?) that was completely outmatched. This was when Nebraska was national championship quality. He ended up throwing for like 590 yards and 4 tds. They still lost by 30ish points but I was still impressed. If Rattay could do it, Brennan could.

Markus
11-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Well the BADgers will lose to Michigan

Illinois will lose to OSU

I hope you didnt make any bets in vegas.

In other news Michigan is getting their salad toseed right now.

arak0r
11-17-2007, 03:12 PM
http://pc.ign.com/objects/961/961242.html

is there.. really... a need for that?

Markus
11-17-2007, 04:23 PM
wtf!

whens the White version coming out?

Im dumbfounded that a game of this nature would even be considered for production.

Why cant the african americans let the race card die out?

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Fuck life.
Fucking fuck life.
Fucking fucking fuck life.
Fucking fucking fucking fuck life.
Fucking fucking fucking fucking fuck life.

Not only did Michigan LOSE, but it was a fucking boring ass game. I'm pissed and disappointed in this rivalry now. Last year was soooo amazing, and then we get THIS.

I had so many conversations with friends, we were crying together, trying to make eachother feel better.

At the same time, I was getting pissed at my few Ohio State friends who send me texts "Haha.... I'm sorry Wally".

Oh well, at least Henne is gone, the fucking worthless piece of shit. Hopefully, damn Carr will retire too.

I feel so damn bad for Jake Long and Mike Hart that they were paired up with such a stupid quarterback and below average defense.

Time to lose in a bowl game nobody cares about!

Mota Boy
11-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Thank God for time zone differences. Sleeping through games has been the only thing that's saved my sanity this season.

All About Eve
11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I can not fucking believe Vandy lost that game. Mota... it was so heartbreaking.

RickyCrack
11-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Indeed.

--
Now, this is it. THIS IS IT!
Mike Hart, Chad Henne, and Jake Long came back to win at least this one game:

AND THIS IS IT!

This is where we find out if those three deserve to be labeled as heroes in Michigan history.

Fuck life.
Fucking fuck life.
Fucking fucking fuck life.
Fucking fucking fucking fuck life.
Fucking fucking fucking fucking fuck life.

Not only did Michigan LOSE, but it was a fucking boring ass game. I'm pissed and disappointed in this rivalry now. Last year was soooo amazing, and then we get THIS.

I had so many conversations with friends, we were crying together, trying to make eachother feel better.

At the same time, I was getting pissed at my few Ohio State friends who send me texts "Haha.... I'm sorry Wally".

Oh well, at least Henne is gone, the fucking worthless piece of shit. Hopefully, damn Carr will retire too.

I feel so damn bad for Jake Long and Mike Hart that they were paired up with such a stupid quarterback and below average defense.

Time to lose in a bowl game nobody cares about!

lol, how pathetic. I liek how you support your team, but only when you win. As for Lloyd Carr -- omg another winning season better fire him.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't see how I wasn't supporting my team. I've always believed Henne sucked and our defense was below average, even in games we've won.

And what's the point of a winning season if you don't win a single game that matters?

So what if Michigan beat a bunch of other teams in the Big Ten. The Big Ten is getting weaker, and one would be silly to deny it. Lloyd Carr obviously can't prepare his team for Ohio State, bowl games, or Division I-AA games.

Llamas
11-17-2007, 10:12 PM
The Gophers went winless this season. Bottom of the big ten. You know, we've never been awesome, but come on. I saw this coming. Everyone was sooooo mad about Glen Mason, and they celebrated when he got fired last winter. Well look at where they are with a new coach. Suckiness. But I still love them, regardless. It's different for me, though, because I actually went to and loved that university. So I support them through thick and thin :) That's okay, though... I hear our basketball team is rockin'.

Mota Boy
11-18-2007, 05:27 AM
I can not fucking believe Vandy lost that game. Mota... it was so heartbreaking.Christ, the worst part about it was that we lost it for the exact same reason we lost the Georgia game - after playing tough and getting the lead, Coach Johnson decided to slow the game down. This conservative playcalling - even against Florida, when we quickly went down by two touchdowns, is killing us. It worked against South Carolina, but has lost us two games against better opponents that we should have won. It's the biggest paradox that, at this point, Bobby Johnson is both the man singularly responsible for getting the Vanderbilt football program within sight of a bowl game for the first time in two and a half decades and is also, on gameday, the biggest impediment to finally realizing that dream.

Even if we beat Wake Forest, which is possible, but far from certain, as it's at home (aside from the close lost to Georgia earlier this season, all our best games and recent victories have been away games, interestingly enough), we aren't guaranteed a bowl berth. Though I think it would be particularly Vanderbilt to win six games in the one season where it won't get us anywhere. I'd honestly be somewhat satisfied with that situation.

Fortunately (knock on wood when I say this), I'm more of a basketball fan than a football fan, and though the team is young this year and will be younger the next (right now we have zero juniors and only two sophomores), AJ Ogilvy is a beast - almost guaranteed SEC freshman of the year, if not player of the year, with tremendous upside (in his first college game ever he scored two points in the first half... and sixteen in the second), and we've got enough promising players that though both this year and the next are far from guaranteed, they could be really exciting. Especially with UT and Memphis being top ten teams and Vandy possibly being top twenty, Tennessee might be the best basketball state in the country.

All About Eve
11-18-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm really not into basketball, but that's mostly because highschool basketball is boring. I'm sure I'll go to games when I get into college.

ps.
Georgia 24, Kentucky 13. Andre LOLson.

RickyCrack
11-18-2007, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=160898

I know it's hard to lose when you're used to winning, you know, all the time. But to say Henne sucks is an overstatement. But if you have a quarterback that can complete 60% of his passes and double TD's compared to INTs it's hard to say they suck.

As for the big10, which conference wins the most bowl games every year? Which conference has the most Rose Bowl bids and wins?

Here at Iowa people are calling for Ferentz' head, but srsly is it his fault that he has to keep kicking players off his team for beating women and stealing credit cards? Teams will always have bad years, it comes with the recruiting process.

p.s. fuck you for stealing Arrington from us.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, you haven't seen him play as much as I have. He is extremely disliked here. I really like his arm, he throws harder than anyone I've ever seen, and he does have a high completetion percentage, but that's all he has going for him. He has his moments, but most of the time he comes up short in the clutch. More than half of those interceptions made a negative difference.

All About Eve
11-18-2007, 04:21 PM
which conference wins the most bowl games every year?

SEC. SEC has had more bids/wins than any conference over the past kabillion seasons.

RickyCrack
11-18-2007, 04:54 PM
the classic SEC/big10 argument. Although I'll grant that currently the SEC is a harder conference to play in.

also I don't follow Michigan too well, I just root for them as a 2ndary team because i fucking hate ohio state

All About Eve
11-19-2007, 04:01 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=46Zdkm-RAYo

Holy shit he's so good.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Anyone else completely excited for the Kansas/Missouri game? ESPN brought up a good point, how Missouri's schedule was harder and have the fourth quarter experience, whereas the Jayhawks' games were blowouts. But I've been watching Kansas all year long, and they scare me. I think they'll win today, and I want them to win because undefeated champions are always good.

My opinion may have changed if I saw a little more of Missouri earlier in the season.

--
I told y'all LSU was overrated and Kansas was better.

--
Anyone else reminded of last year? I mean, it had nothing on Michigan/Ohio State, but it's still a big time border war rivalry. The winnner goes to the championship game, especially since LSU opened up a spot as USC did last year. And West Virginia is the team that needs to win, like Florida did too.

The problem with it being just like last year: Say Kansas loses, by, say three points (lol), shouldn't they still have a shot to go to the national title game? Michigan got robbed last year, so it would likely happen again, but it's a shame it would happen AGAIN.

Another reason why it's reminding me of last season. Hawaii and last season's Boise State. Hawaii will go undefeated, go to a bowl game against a tough team (it would be hilarious if it's OU again), be picked to lose, force an upset, gain a little respect, but not nearly enough.
--
I'm pumped. Game of the year in my opinion.

All About Eve
11-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Holy shit I'm going to laugh so hard when UGA ends up in the championship game.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
11-24-2007, 09:31 PM
^ Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

This is going to be such a freaking mess.

All About Eve
11-24-2007, 10:54 PM
It's actually a GOOD thing that Tennessee won the East. That way UGA doesn't have to risk they're ranking by playing LSU.

We started today at 7th. 6th ranked ASU lost, so there's one we move up. LSU got their second loss, to unranked Arkansas, so that's probably another we move up. Kansas lost, and while they'll only have one loss, I still think they'll move back to 7th or 8th. So that's 3 places up; number four for us!

Then, when Oklahoma beats Mizzou (again) in their title game, UGA will be in 3rd.

...Ugh. Third.

All About Eve
12-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Buuuuuump.

People are saying that LSU and/or USC should jump ahead of Georgia in the BCS rankings. Bullshit. Georgia was voted ahead of LSU in the past with the fact well known that UGA wouldn't win the division/conference. As for "USC being the hottest team right now" -- what the hell? Georgia throttled Auburn, Kentucky, Florida, etc.; who has USC beaten that matches up to that tandem? And Georgia's last loss came against TENNESSE, not fucking STANDFORD or some shit like that.

edit:
#1 and #2 lose, so #3 and #4 move up.

Also, the BCS is full of shit.

Llamas
12-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Happy to see Mizzou lose, but I thought WV won... I just looked it up, and somehow I was mistaken. Sad about that... I wanted OSU and WV in the BCS bowl.

I could see why they'd want LSU ahead of Georgia, but not USC. USC was not that great this year, and OSU would stomp the crap out of them in a bowl game. Of LSU, Georgia, and USC, I'd prefer Georgia, because I think it would be the best match up.

Also, why do some teams have those last games to play? I think it's kind of unfair... I mean, had OSU and Georgia had final games, maybe they would've lost, too... it should be the same for every team.

RickyCrack
12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
It's good to see OSU at number 1. This means my team is most likely going to a decent bowl bid as only 6 teams in the big10 can go bowling and with OSU going to a BCS bowl that'd open up another bowl slot for the big10. Also OSU's only loss was to a really really good Illinois team that's going to be a bitch to play against for a few years.

GBH2
12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
osu sucks, they don't play anyone. i'm looking forward to seeing them get shellacked by whoever they play in the national champoinship.

in other news, every team i root for loses. except hawaii. and to state the obvious, this year is a perfect example of why the bcs is shit: no one has a clue who the best team is.

All About Eve
12-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Llamas: Not every conference has a championship game... so hypothetically, OSU would be in the title game without winning their conference game either. Only 5 conferences have title games, which is why it shouldn't affect it that much.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-02-2007, 03:57 PM
With the Big Ten, I know it's possible for something else to happen (like with Northwestern a couple times), but the Big Ten doesn't exactly need a conference championship game, and it shouldn't since, since Michigan and Ohio State are usually the top two fighting for it anyways, while being at the end of the season.

Please LSU, please LSU, please LSU lose. Gimmegimmegimme Les Miles.

I thought LSU wa always overrated all season long anyways, so I hope they don't go to the national championship game. And since VT has beaten more teams with winning records, I think it should be OSU vs Virginia Tech.

Sorry Georgia.

All About Eve
12-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Uh, Georgia's beaten 8 ranked teams this year, including 4ish in the top 10/15. UK, who averaged 38 points a game, scored 13. Florida was ranked #12 at home, and we beat them by 12, scoring over 40 points in total. We scored over 40 against Auburn too, beating them by 25, which you almost never see happen with their coach. Georgia's only losses were a week 3 loss to South Carolina, ranked 13th or something at the time and a Steve Spurrier team, and to Tennessee, which only lost to LSU in the championship by 7 points.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
This sucks.

Now, when Hawaii beats GA (no offense to Georgia), it won't be as big a deal if Hawaii beat LSU. AND it would have been more awesome if Georgia beat Ohio State.

Ohio State, I feel oh so bad for you. You are going to get your asses handed to.

All About Eve
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Georgia is going to beat Hawaii by 20 points or more. Brennan won't have more than two air TDs. Knowshon will get at least 120 yards on the ground, Brown will get at least 80 yards on the ground, Lumpkin may even get 40 or so, and Stafford will get at least 150 - 200 yards through the air.

Blow out game. You haven't been watching Georgia, Wally. Once you see them actually play, beyond the numbers, you'll understand.

edit: Herschel Walker got 3rd all time best player in NCAA football history. Man he was a beast.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Nc2XsimM90&feature=related

First game as a freshman. The first guy he runs over is Bill Bates, an all-american/pro bowl safety. First game as a FRESHMAN.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
You're right. I've only seen one half of a Georgia game so I shouldn't be the one to say.

Boise State of 2006 just reminds me of Hawaii soooo much. And that Fiesta Bowl was the greatest game of any sport I've ever seen in my entire life. I think this Hawaii team is even better than that Boise State team, and that Oklahoma (still shouldn't be talking, but they had Adrian Peterson), is better than this Georgia team.

I know it's not the same, but it seems so alike.

All About Eve
12-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Eh. I know there are some great players on all the teams, but I can honestly say that Georgia is probably the most balanced, with Ohio State and, believe it or not, Florida, as the other bests in terms of balance. Georgia has one of the best turnover margins in the NCAA, one of the best Rushing YPG averages, one of the best Points Per Game averages, etc etc.

I'm bitter, I know. But, I present you with this. Georgia is only graduating four seniors on defense. On offense, we have a true sophomore quarterback (128.8 ranking), redshirt freshman half back (1,273 yards while sharing the duties with Thomas Brown, another 1000 yard back), and three freshman on the offensive line. This is a team that scored forty points or more five times, thirty points or more three times, and of the remaining four games, only one score was under 20. Two of those 40+ games were against FLORIDA and AUBURN.

This is a team that also held Florida, led by heisman candidate and probably winner Tim Tebow, to thirty points. Held Auburn to 20. Held Kentucky to 13. Those three games were all in a row.

All things considered, finishing 5th in the BCS and going to the Sugar Bowl for the second time in three years is outstanding for a team this young, and you can expect great things out of them next year and the year after that.

GBH2
12-02-2007, 09:02 PM
sucks to be georgia. really sucks to be missouri.
I can't fathom why a one loss big ten team is automatically in discussion for the national championship. In my opinion, the only teams that should even be considered for the national title are georgia, lsu, and oklahoma. i personally would've liked to have seen oklahoma-lsu, though i haven't seen georgia play much at all. osu will probably get dominated. hawaii will get dominated. wvu-oklahoma should be a good game, and i don't really care about any other bcs games.

Llamas
12-02-2007, 10:47 PM
I just gotta say... just because the Big Ten was pretty bad this year, does not mean OSU sucks. We have yet to see them play against anyone tough besides Illinois, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

Mota Boy
12-03-2007, 04:53 AM
I just gotta say... just because the Big Ten was pretty bad this year, does not mean OSU sucks. We have yet to see them play against anyone tough besides Illinois, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.It doesn't mean they suck, but it doesn't mean they deserve to play for the national championship. As I recall, the last time they played a top twenty team, thirteen games ago, they lost 41-14. And, as you've mentioned, the only "tough" team they played this year - Illinois - beat them.

Georgia's only losses were a week 3 loss to South Carolina, ranked 13th or something at the time and a Steve Spurrier team, and to Tennessee, which only lost to LSU in the championship by 7 points.That's just not a game you can play in the SEC this year. Vanderbilt beat South Carolina - ranked 6th or so at the time - and only lost to Tennessee and Georgia by a field goal.

Georgia did not win their conference, much less their division. That was, essentially, college football's version of the playoffs. LSU deserves it over UGA.

I told y'all LSU was overrated and Kansas was better.I was going to comment on this back when you wrote it (when Kansas was undefeated), but forgot - I'm positively amazed that you could say that combined sentence - calling LSU overrated and Kansas a better team - in the same breath. Kansas was horribly overrated (or at least completely unproven) as they had yet to play any top teams.

Either way, the bowl series will be very interesting. All fall SEC fans have been bug-eyed at the strength and depth of the entire conference, while others have pointed to the parity as proof that the conferences power teams (and thus, the entire conference) were overrated. With... seven? SEC teams going to bowls, it'll be interesting to see whether they dominate or merely show up.

/hint: dominate

RickyCrack
12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
:( i wouldn't call Purdue, Wisconsin, and Penn State bad teams.

All About Eve
12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
:( i wouldn't call Purdue, Wisconsin, and Penn State bad teams.
Stack those up against LSU, Georgia, and Florida, though (the highest SEC teams right now).

Mota Boy, there were ten eligible SEC teams, and nine went. Vandy and Ole Miss didn't qualify, and South Carolina got left out.

Llamas
12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Stack those up against LSU, Georgia, and Florida, though (the highest SEC teams right now).

Wait, so due to the fact that the teams Rickycrack listed aren't awesome, means they're bad? We know they're not the best teams, and that they don't kick tons of ass... but he said that they're not BAD. And he's right. Minnesota is BAD... Wisconsin is GOOD... LSU is GREAT.

SaiKYoU
12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
oh c'mon... hawaii may be in a weak conference and that help to a perfect season, but theyr're so funny to watch playing!! they have merit for being where they are right bnow... and i wanna watch the sugar bowl!!!

All About Eve
12-18-2007, 06:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3159534

20+ suspended for FSU's bowl game. Holy crap.

I have a bet on this game. I have Kentucky. Yessss.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm just posting here to let you know I'm very happy.

I mean, RICH RODRIGUEZ!!!!

Carr's even going to let him call plays in our bowl game!

So many recruits are considering Michigan now, especially Terrelle Pryor, the top QB prospect in the nation.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Mallet anyway.

[/excitement]

Next year we won't be national title contendors (but that's what they said about OSU this year), but it should still be a good experiment season.

Rodriguez did disappoint me though: He actually compared the fucking WVU-Pitt rivalry to Michigan-Ohio State. Has he lost his marbles?

I wish I could find the exact quote, but it was like "I know we're big rivals with Ohio State. I'm used to it, like in West Virginia we have Pitt. This rivalry is one of the best in college sports."

Can someone tell me how it is NOT the best rivalry in college sports? Many consider it the best rivalry in American sports!

All About Eve
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
1.) Alabama - Tennessee*
2.) Any SEC team vs. any other SEC team**
3.) Any SEC team vs. their rival***

*Tennessee was responsible for Alabama getting caught and thus their years of probation.

**One year, Clemson stole the Bulldog monument out of the main entrance to UGA.

**One time, when one team was coming in from a train, the other team (I think it was Auburn/Alabama) greased the tracks and the train couldn't stop.

***Chan Gailey was fired from Tech almost exclusively because he couldn't beat Georgia. He'd led the team to a bowl game every year he's been there, and won the ACC last year. But he never beat Georgia, thus was fired.

you ain't got nothin' on us.

Camel Filters
12-20-2007, 03:57 PM
So I was thinking and I came to the conclusion that the badgers are by far the best team in the Big 10.

RickyCrack
12-21-2007, 04:24 AM
illinois and/or OSU > Wisconsin.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Georgia is officially the only SEC team I actually like. Call me a bandwagon hopper, because I didn't like them in the start, but I didn't see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7X8aoBaqDQ) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qLkHr61Z2M), and never saw them humiliate Hawaii and prove me wrong.

Here's to hoping LSU edges Ohio State, and Georgia becomes the national champion.

--
I'll admit though, that Sugar bowl was one boring-ass game.

--
That Rose Bowl was one boring-ass game.

--
That Arkansas-Mizzou game was one boring-ass game.

--
Tennessee and Wisconsin was actually a pretty good game, but the team I was rooting for lost.

--
The Capital One Bowl was a really, really good game though.

Llamas
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I wish I could find the exact quote, but it was like "I know we're big rivals with Ohio State. I'm used to it, like in West Virginia we have Pitt. This rivalry is one of the best in college sports."

Can someone tell me how it is NOT the best rivalry in college sports? Many consider it the best rivalry in American sports!

What. The. Fuck. ursorite. OSU/Michigan rivalry is way more prominent than WV/Pitt.

The Tennessee/Bama rivalry is the only one that competes. I have witnessed this wrath first hand. The other ones AAE listed are nothing special.

RickyCrack
01-03-2008, 01:12 AM
iowa/iowa state is an amazing rivalry
iowa/ minnesota rivalry is amazing
but these are only my opinion

but the michigan/ ohio state rivalry is obviously the best in the nation

also i still believe that illinois was a condendor against usc. If only they didn't fumble the ball on the 10 yard line 3 times consecutively it would've been a different game. but i'll admit that usc was still a slightly better team. But watch out for illinois in the next few years, i'm predicting a bcs championship. gg ron zook -- maybe someday, but not this year.

TBD
01-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Fuck I'm tired of these bowl games. They mean nothing. Coaches don't even give a fuck. They leave to go to other schools before they even play them.

Llamas
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
OSU is up by 7 and has possession! Fuck LSU!

bty, both bands have HIDEOUS uniforms. Holy shit. LSU's is worse, though.

Llamas
01-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh yes, now I remember why the big 10 > SEC. We don't play football like a bunch of wussy fags. SEC is all "omg u get personal fouls u play 2 ruff!" Learn to play like men, you pussies.

coke_a_holic
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
AAE
11:20
do me a favor
20:10
respond to [the college football] thread for me
20:18
noting that I lost my password
20:21
saying, "Learn to play like winners, you faggots"

Mike
oh god
20:24
do I have to?

AAE
yes
20:36
just say that I said it
21:13
plz

Mike
11:22
fiiiiine

There you have it, AAE lost his password, and thinks that the Big 10 should "learn to play like winners, faggots."

I feel so used :(

Llamas
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Like winners? Terrible comeback. LSU is full of whining babies. And the refs don't know what football is, so they call fouls on every little nothing piece of crap because omg LSU players cry :(

Mota Boy
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah, it's a little strategy us wussy fags down in the SEC have developed - whining and crying our way to at least five touchdowns on our way to demolishing Ohio State in the national championship game. It's been so successful, I see some Big Ten fans are starting to adopt it as their own.

JohnnyNemesis
01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, it's a little strategy us wussy fags down in the SEC have developed - whining and crying our way to at least five touchdowns on our way to demolishing Ohio State in the national championship game. It's been so successful, I see some Big Ten fans are starting to adopt it as their own.

I think I just splooged <3 <3 <3

arak0r
01-07-2008, 09:06 PM
it must be awesome to play at home for every bowl game

Llamas
01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
It is pretty much what happened. Most of those fouls were ridiculous. And I forgot that's always how games against the SEC go. Big ten teams never get called on nearly as many fouls as they do against SEC. And that faggotry about the punter. ugh. I'm going to bed.

RickyCrack
01-08-2008, 12:55 AM
i really getted pissed off about officiating against the big10. i remember last year when iowa got a bullshit call where the tight end caught game winning touch down pass against texas and it was called back because apparently the tightend isn't allowed to be an elligable reciever during an i-formation snap -- fucking bullshit. anyways, live up your victory sec as the big 10 is going to stomp your asses next year.

p.s. boo hoo we get hurt so much playing against the big10 -- why are their linemen so much bigger than us, it's unfair :`(````````````

Mota Boy
01-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Either way, the bowl series will be very interesting. All fall SEC fans have been bug-eyed at the strength and depth of the entire conference, while others have pointed to the parity as proof that the conferences power teams (and thus, the entire conference) were overrated. With... seven? [Editor's note - nine] SEC teams going to bowls, it'll be interesting to see whether they dominate or merely show up.

/hint: dominateUpdate: SEC teams were 7-2 in bowl games. Big Ten was... let's see, 3-5.

anyways, live up your victory sec as the big 10 is going to stomp your asses next year.

p.s. boo hoo we get hurt so much playing against the big10 -- why are their linemen so much bigger than us, it's unfair :`(````````````Oh hey, ESPN.com also gives a rundown of bowl performance by conference over the past decade. Looks like the Big Ten comes in at 21-28 in the aughts, while the SEC is currently at 32-20. Fancy that.

/We'll be sure to look out for y'all next year though

Edit: sorry, I can't help myself - smack talk and whining about referees in the face of an overwhelming defeat is, essentially, putting up a giant neon sign over your buttons that says "Push me" - anyway, I also found this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3186010&sportCat=ncf) that had some very nice things to say about the game. A lot of it's gold, but this sums it up.

If you've ever seen lions maul a water buffalo, you've seen the last two title games. You've seen a fierce pair of SEC teams -- Florida last year, LSU this year -- blow the vulnerable Buckeyes back to the Bratwurst Belt by a combined 41 points. You've seen the best of one league flex, and the best of an inferior league collapse.

"They didn't fight back like an SEC team would do," said LSU safety Harry Coleman, who filled in superbly for injured All-American Craig Steltz.

The SEC is not a humble place by any measure. But it ain't braggin' if you can back it up -- and especially if you can back-to-back it up, as Florida and LSU have done...

The Big Ten, by contrast, has been the baby's crib. Ohio State has coasted through that league 15-1 the past two seasons, only to collapse in the face of an SEC champ with a lower BCS ranking and a worse record.

Llamas
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM
wow, I hate it when people throw out a bunch of numbers without any subjective facts as well.

How about we throw out these facts:

-The only team that's won more BCS games than OSU is USC.
-OSU has played in 6 BCS games and won 4. The highest SEC team is Oklahoma, who has also played in 6 BCS games but only won 2.
-The Big 10 has sent more teams to BCS championships than the SEC.

Now onto more subjective facts.
Most of all, the SEC basically has homefield advantage during bowl games, and LSU DEFINITELY did during this game. I have a feeling just a FEW more Louisiana fans were willing and able to drive to New Orleans to see their team, than Ohio fans were willing to fly across the country. This is how it is at every bowl game I've seen. There are always WAY more fans from southern states, and a small section of fans from the northern states. Hell, I'd have gone to the BCS game if it was less than 8 hours away from me.
The weather is also a factor. These SEC teams play in warm weather year-round, having to deal with rain. This time of year, any Big 10 team is used to playing in snow. They're used to not being able to see and sliding around. It's a shocker when you suddenly have full control :P
But seriously. The final big thing is DEFINITELY REFS. Sure, sometimes I whine about a couple bad calls in a game, but I realize that there are always bad calls made in every game. With these bowl games, it's not even what I'd call "bad calls", though. The SEC has the clear advantage of having SEC refs at these games. The Big 10 plays rougher than most conferences, especially rougher than the SEC. Every bowl game I've seen between an SEC team and a Big 10 team has just had so many fouls against the Big 10 team that we would NEVER see during a season game.

Okay, that's about it for now. Big 10 rulezzzz.

Camel Filters
01-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I love the Big 10.

Mota Boy
01-08-2008, 02:13 PM
wow, I hate it when people throw out a bunch of numbers without any subjective facts as well.Bri, honey, "subjective facts" is an oxymoron. Facts, are, by definition, objective. Subjectivity is what fans inject into discussions to make excuses for facts.

How about we throw out these facts:
-The only team that's won more BCS games than OSU is USC.OSU has won the second-most BSC games, right? So we are in agreement that it's the best team in the Big Ten? The one that's 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games?

OSU is a pretty good team, don't get me wrong - but it destroys your conference, and gets housed in turn by a two-loss SEC team that also had to come back from deficits while playing three other SEC teams. So the more you prop up OSU, the worse the Big Ten looks.

-OSU has played in 6 BCS games and won 4. The highest SEC team is Oklahoma, who has also played in 6 BCS games but only won 2.It's pretty impressive that Oklahoma holds the record for most SEC BCS game trips, particularly when one considers that Oklahoma is not a member of the SEC, nor even in the geographical southeastern part of the country. You're probably thinking of LSU, which has won all four games in which it has played, rather than needing six like OSU.

-The Big 10 has sent more teams to BCS championships than the SEC.Wrong. Since the inception of the BCS championship game, the Big Ten has sent three teams. The SEC has sent four. Of those games, the SEC is 4-0, while the Big Ten is 1-2. So the SEC has won more BCS championships than the Big Ten has played for.

Now onto more subjective facts.
Most of all, the SEC basically has homefield advantage during bowl games... There are always WAY more fans from southern states, and a small section of fans from the northern states. Hell, I'd have gone to the BCS game if it was less than 8 hours away from me.You would have no problem paying $1,313 (the average price of BCS championship tickets being resold), but it was the drive that was the problem? Geographical proximity is mitigated by the fact that tickets for bowl games become so expensive that the cost of travel starts to pale in comparison. It's not as if Cletus is wandering in off the street - if you're willing to pay that much for game tickets, you should be willing to make the drive (or flight). I will agree with you, however, that the SEC has the most rabid fans out there. It's one of the reasons we're so damn good.

But seriously. The final big thing is DEFINITELY REFS.I've watched enough sports that I know two things - 1) the refs always are biased against your team and 2)especially if your team loses. I'll say this much (I couldn't watch the game, and I only see Ohio fans criticizing the refs) - if the referees were that much of a factor (three touchdowns but for a great last-minute desperation drive), then maybe OSU didn't deserve to be the national champion anyway.

Look, the Big Ten is a good conference, but the fact of the matter is that the SEC is better. Perhaps in years past this was arguable, but over the past two, some pretty big nails have been hammered into the coffin of this debate. Most people from other conferences love to claim that the SEC is overrated year in and year out, and I keep assuming that the conference's record will speak for itself. You'll notice that I largely refrained from any cross-conference smack in this thread, waiting instead to see how good our conference really was. It's that when SEC dominance is rather clearly demonstrated and fans from other conferences still refuse to accept it, instead acting as if they lost the game because, oddly enough, their players were too large and strong for the opposition, that I bother talking any smack. And, as the adage goes, it ain't bragging if it's true.

Sidewinder
01-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Still haven't received my password from the Admin and whatnot, so I had to make a new name (AAE here, btw). I support all of Mota's points/facts, obviously, and would like to add that in terms of "home field advantage", even for the UGA/Hawaii game that was in New Orleans, there was at least 1/3 the stadium full of Hawaii fans. More so, it's so fucking noisy and insane in bowl games that even if they're all your fans it's still affecting both sides the same. Basically, "Home field advantage" is a moot point in bowl games.

UGA president submitted a request for a 8 team playoff, by the way. Check espn for the articles.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Bri, honey, "subjective facts" is an oxymoron. Facts, are, by definition, objective. Subjectivity is what fans inject into discussions to make excuses for facts.
Yeah I noticed that as I posted it, but didn't care enough to edit.

OSU has won the second-most BSC games, right? So we are in agreement that it's the best team in the Big Ten?
I would say that makes it one of the best teams in the NCAA.

It's pretty impressive that Oklahoma holds the record for most SEC BCS game trips, particularly when one considers that Oklahoma is not a member of the SEC, nor even in the geographical southeastern part of the country.
I'm so terribly sorry, I didn't know Oklahoma wasn't in the SEC. And geographic location means nothing. Penn State is in the Big 10, for christ's sake.

Wrong. Since the inception of the BCS championship game, the Big Ten has sent three teams. The SEC has sent four. Of those games, the SEC is 4-0, while the Big Ten is 1-2. So the SEC has won more BCS championships than the Big Ten has played for.
I don't feel like pulling it up right now, but I was looking at some lists before, and this here is just not true.

You would have no problem paying $1,313 (the average price of BCS championship tickets being resold), but it was the drive that was the problem? Geographical proximity is mitigated by the fact that tickets for bowl games become so expensive that the cost of travel starts to pale in comparison. It's not as if Cletus is wandering in off the street - if you're willing to pay that much for game tickets, you should be willing to make the drive (or flight).
Well our University has always offered us quite discounted tickets to all the bowl games, so the tickets wouldn't be nearly that expensive for me. But that is slightly irrelevant. Regardless, I'm going off what I see at bowl games.

I will agree with you, however, that the SEC has the most rabid fans out there.
I never said this.

I've watched enough sports that I know two things - 1) the refs always are biased against your team and 2)especially if your team loses.
And I've already differentiated why this is a completely different situation than your typical "aw man the refs were so against us today :("

I'll say this much - if the referees were that much of a factor, then maybe OSU didn't deserve to be the national champion anyway.
I don't see how this is logical

I'd love to see the BCS championship game take place in Minnesota or Wisconsin, and then see how great the SEC is with Big 10 refs, cold weather, and significantly less of their own fans at the game.

JohnnyNemesis
01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd love to see the BCS championship game take place in Minnesota or Wisconsin, and then see how great the SEC is with Big 10 refs, cold weather, and significantly less of their own fans at the game.

And this would somehow be more fair?

Not raggin' on you or anything; I'm just confuzzled.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
And this would somehow be more fair?

Not raggin' on you or anything; I'm just confuzzled.

No, it would be equally biased, just from the other end. It just seems that Mota doesn't want to admit that the current conditions ARE extremely unfair and biased toward the SEC. I think if we switched it around to favor the Big 10, we'd see quite some different statistics.

"Fair" would be to somehow determine which teams will be playing the bowl, and choose a stadium somewhere either in between, or extremely far and different from either team's home. This would be nice, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I agree with the home field advantages for southern teams in the playoffs. Even in the west too. Maybe the fact that USC is right next to the Rose Bowl has something to do with all those victories. Especially compared to the winner of the Big Ten!

--
The Fiesta Bowl took place in the southwest, just a couple states away from Oklahoma. The worst reffed game I've seen all year was that one. How West Virginia won that handily with all the bad calls against them is beyond me.

--
The Big Ten truly is really weak though. Hawaii and Kansas get penalized for easy schedules, but Ohio State didn't win against ANYBODY.

--
Here's a whole conversation I had Tuesday when I approached a friend of mine, a huge Ohio State fan:

"LSU"
"Appalachain State"
"Illinois"
"Ohio State"
*I walk away*

--
By the way, he says us Michigan fans have no right to make fun of him, with App State, Oregon, and Ohio State under our belts. Unlike Ohio State, Michigan won their bowl game against the ninth-ranked Heisman-winning-Tim-Tebow-containing reigning-national-champion Florida Gators... in Florida.

JohnnyNemesis
01-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Brianna: ah, gotcha. Now I sorta understand what you're saying. I was just thrown off by:

I think if we switched it around to favor the Big 10, we'd see quite some different statistics.

'Cause it's more like...if your original point is true, then this is basically saying "Hey! Things are... unfair!!! If we switched things around to favor my conference instead of yours, then we'd see that things are...still unfair!!!" Like. Yeah.

What would help, though, is if you dug up those mysterious lists you mentioned before! I'm curious as to how you and him got such different info and which one is more accurate, because as far as those particular stats go, I'm in the dark and would like to learn more.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I would like to clarify a couple things here that came to mind upon reading Wally's post.

1) I realize that the Big 10 was a pile of crap this year as a conference.

2) I don't necessarily think OSU is a team of Gods, and I don't even think they are the best team in the Big 10. I think Illinois was better this year.

My argument was not that OSU should have won the BCS game, because they're so incredible and the Big 10 is currently the best conference. However, I think OSU was given no chance due to the severe bias in this game. I think they are a good enough team to have stood up against LSU, but they had no chance due to the conditions. I'm not even sure how this became an argument that the SEC is the superior conference, because I don't care about what conference is the best. I just care about how biased this shit is. Oh yes, I remember when this became that sort of petty argument.

Update: SEC teams were 7-2 in bowl games. Big Ten was... let's see, 3-5.

Wally, Michigan was okay this year, but not on the top of their game. And they're not looking too good in these upcoming years. But we all know I hate Michigan, right after Wisconsin, so my opinion is a bit negative. ;)

edit: ricky, I'll look it up tonight, because right now I have to get ready for work. But I'll find it later cause we don't want no confused rickeeeeez :(

edit 2: also, in case you're still somewhat unclear as to what I meant... I meant that, Mota throws out these stats about the SEC winning the BCS so many times, but he constantly ignores the bias I'm speaking of. I was just saying that, I'd like to see if he could hold up his numbers there if the situation was reversed. Not that I actually think the BCS should be played in Minnesota ;)

Sidewinder
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
You still haven't sited where you found your "facts" contradicting Mota's.

Also: what the shit, there's ALREADY a pre-season poll out. Guess who's number one?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3186264&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

Camel Filters
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Guess who's number one?

The Badgers?

Mota Boy
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm not even sure how this became an argument that the SEC is the superior conference, because I don't care about what conference is the best. I just care about how biased this shit is. Oh yes, I remember when this became that sort of petty argument.
Update: SEC teams were 7-2 in bowl games. Big Ten was... let's see, 3-5.*ahem*

Oh yes, now I remember why the big 10 > SEC. We don't play football like a bunch of wussy fags. SEC is all "omg u get personal fouls u play 2 ruff!" Learn to play like men, you pussies.

anyways, live up your victory sec as the big 10 is going to stomp your asses next year.

edit 2: also, in case you're still somewhat unclear as to what I meant... I meant that, Mota throws out these stats about the SEC winning the BCS so many times, but he constantly ignores the bias I'm speaking of.Bri, what the hell are you talking about? Did you read my last post? The one in which I specifically dealt with the "bias" claim you made? You're equating refuting your claims with ignoring them, which is ridiculous.

I would say that makes it one of the best teams in the NCAA.We are not talking about comparisons to the entire Division-1 field. We are talking about a comparison between two conferences.

I'm so terribly sorry, I didn't know Oklahoma wasn't in the SEC. And geographic location means nothing. Penn State is in the Big 10, for christ's sake.If there was a region of the United States called "The Big Ten", and Pennsylvania wasn't a part of that region, that analogy might have made sense. My point is that you're wrong, and talking smack about a conference that you seem to know very little about.

I don't feel like pulling it up right now, but I was looking at some lists before, and this here is just not true.Here ya go. (http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_Championship_Game)

Well our University has always offered us quite discounted tickets to all the bowl games, so the tickets wouldn't be nearly that expensive for me. But that is slightly irrelevant. Regardless, I'm going off what I see at bowl games.Again, you are changing the subject. You weren't talking about going to see a game by your university. You were talking about how you would have gone and seen this specific game, played by OSU, and I'm pretty sure a school with 50,000 students and, what, a million alumni? could find a way to attend the game. Again, the point I specifically laid out is that with a thousand-dollar plus ticket, the argument about homefield advantage isn't nearly as strong. The University of Hawaii managed to get 15,000 people to New Orleans, and they should be the only ones complaining about travel cost (not to mention they have a fraction of the population of Ohio and, historically, a much less dedicated fan base).

And I've already differentiated why this is a completely different situation than your typical "aw man the refs were so against us today :(" Because it's *always* the refs?

I don't see how this is logicalI'm saying that you can't blame the referees for giving up five touchdowns, for being scored on five times in six drives. For, but for a last-minute, meaningless drive, losing by three touchdowns. If could understand blaming the referees if they made a bad call in the final minutes, but you think bad reffering makes up for an ass-whooping? The game wasn't even close! Blaming the refs in this situation is just silly. Secondly, all I've read about in the game by national commentators is that Ohio State is to blame for those penalties, not the referees. You claim there is a persistant bias, or as if the Big Ten is the only conference who is ever penalized and that this is a generally-agree upon fact by the nation, but it's not. Every single sports fan, at some point or other, starts whining about bad refereeing - especially when they lose a game.

I'd love to see the BCS championship game take place in Minnesota or Wisconsin, and then see how great the SEC is with Big 10 refs, cold weather, and significantly less of their own fans at the game.First off, if you think Ohio State is harmed by warm weather, you're being ridiculous. Second off, where did you get the idea that SEC referees were officiating this game? Do you have anything to back this up? I can't find anything on Google other than complaining Ohio State fans. In fact, hilariously, check out what happens when you google BCS Championship Game "SEC refs" (http://www.google.cn/search?complete=1&hl=zh-CN&newwindow=1&q=BCS+Championship+Game+%22SEC+refs%22&meta=&aq=f) (six links down). I highly doubt that a BCS Championship Game would use refs from a specific conference.

Your main complaint is that non-affiliated referees called penalties that objective parties see as legitimate, and that games are at "home", which I've already addressed - it should not be nearly as big factor in a Championship Game, where tickets are equally available to the public and so expensive that they equalize the playing field (I've never heard a Superbowl team complain about "home field" advantage). And this watered-down idea of home field advantage does not explain away 41 points in two games. Ohio State was dominated by the opposing team at almost every position. Stop making excuses as if Ohio State even played LSU close.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 10:16 PM
-I apologize. In my comment where I jokingly said the Big 10 > SEC because SEC was fags, I really was being sarcastic and speaking in hyperbole. I thought that was obvious with my vocabulary and inflection choices, and didn't realize you took that seriously. So fine, I concede that it was nobody's intention to actually argue about which conference was better.

-How about we drop the whole "conference comparison" thing, because I never intended to argue about which was better, as I think it's an unfair assessment and neither can be proven "better" as a whole conference ever. I've already admitted that the Big 10 was not good this year, and was not serious when I said the Big 10 was better than the SEC.

If there was a region of the United States called "The Big Ten", and Pennsylvania wasn't a part of that region, that analogy might have made sense. My point is that you're wrong, and talking smack about a conference that you seem to know very little about.

-Oklahoma shares borders with states that are part of the SEC. To me, Oklahoma is one of those states that can fit into several geographic locations, and my instinct is to consider it the south or even southeast, though it pretty much is south central. Also, due to the fact that the historically accurate name of the Big Ten is the Western Conference, I would consider it an okay
analogy. Yes, it changed names a few times for some reason to denote how many teams were in it, once after Illinois and Iowa joined and again after Michigan, but as the Western Conference, Penn State doesn't even remotely fit.

Again, you are changing the subject. You weren't talking about going to see a game by your university. You were talking about how you would have gone and seen this specific game, played by OSU, and I'm pretty sure a school with 50,000 students and, what, a million alumni? could find a way to attend the game. Again, the point I specifically laid out is that with a thousand-dollar plus ticket, the argument about homefield advantage isn't nearly as strong. The University of Hawaii managed to get 15,000 people to New Orleans, and they should be the only ones complaining about travel cost (not to mention they have a fraction of the population of Ohio and, historically, a much less dedicated fan base).

-I have been and am still talking about going to see that specific game. My friends and I talked quite a long time ago about saving up to go to the BCS bowl, as members of our marching band have always been offered discounted tickets to bowl games the Big 10 is in. We talked about it, but none of us ended up being able to take off work long enough to make that drive, as it's 15 hours each way. About the same from Ohio.

First off, if you think Ohio State is harmed by warm weather, you're being ridiculous. Second off, where did you get the idea that SEC referees were officiating this game? Do you have anything to back this up? I can't find anything on Google other than complaining Ohio State fans. In fact, hilariously, check out what happens when you google BCS Championship Game "SEC refs" (http://www.google.cn/search?complete=1&hl=zh-CN&newwindow=1&q=BCS+Championship+Game+%22SEC+refs%22&meta=&aq=f) (six links down). I highly doubt that a BCS Championship Game would use refs from a specific conference.

Your main complaint is that non-affiliated referees called penalties that objective parties see as legitimate, and that games are at "home", which I've already addressed - it should not be nearly as big factor in a Championship Game, where tickets are equally available to the public and so expensive that they equalize the playing field (I've never heard a Superbowl team complain about "home field" advantage). And this watered-down idea of home field advantage does not explain away 41 points in two games. Ohio State was dominated by the opposing team at almost every position. Stop making excuses as if Ohio State even played LSU close.

-I never said OSU would've won had there not been these refs. I just said the SEC was playing like babies.

-No, OSU was not harmed by warm weather. They are used to playing in cold weather, and often in snow. You can't try to tell me that weather changes like that don't affect how one plays a sport. I know that when I play tennis in really cold weather, I'm forced to play much more aggressively than in hot weather. Personally, I am much, much better playing in cold weather. When I have to play tennis in anything about 70, I push harder and end up running farther than I mean to, and especially I compensate for cold by hitting harder, which causes my hits to go out of bounds more. The ball bounces differently, etc. I'm worse at playing in warm weather. Many people suck in cold weather. I don't see how there wouldn't be any similarities in football.

-The refs had southern accents :P Honestly, that doesn't mean for sure they were from SEC, but I didn't hear a single ref speak without one. I wish there was a list available online of the refs from the game, but I really believe that many of those refs were from the SEC.

We're running around in circles here. I honestly originally was just whining, and still do believe that the Big 10 plays rougher than most conferences, and I like that. Most conferences in the US consider more things to be penalties, and just aren't as hard hitting. I was whining about that. In the end, I don't even really care that much. The only reason I keep replying here is because I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you and being a bitch. I've actually not enjoyed this debate one bit, especially because I've been crabby as hell lately. But I didn't want to be a dick and not respond. I don't even really like OSU that much, and I really couldn't give a shit anymore about who won. I cared the night of, and was over it the next day. Not to mention, I'm not even that big of a fan of football. I care much more about basketball, hockey and tennis. And yeah I probably acted a little defensive in this argument because I've been on edge the last couple days and just fucking crabby as hell. So there you go.

Mota Boy
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Ah, so the mutual bitchfest is over, hooray! Until next year.

I'm more of a basketball fan anyway, I'm just annoyed by fans of other conferences constantly calling the SEC overrated.

Llamas
01-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Ah, so the mutual bitchfest is over, hooray! Until next year.
To be honest, I forgot the BCS bowl was even gonna be on Monday. My roommate was flipping through the channels, and I was like "Oh YEAH!" haha.

I'm more of a basketball fan anyway, I'm just annoyed by fans of other conferences constantly calling the SEC overrated.
Also more a basketball fan. How's your team doing? Minnesota has started off strong, but has only played one actually good team so far, which we lost to.

Do you mean calling the SEC overrated in football or all around? Cause I've never heard any overt bragging about SEC in any other sports.

Mota Boy
01-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Also more a basketball fan. How's your team doing? Minnesota has started off strong, but has only played one actually good team so far, which we lost to. Oh, believe you me, I know about Minnesota. UK fans still haven't stopped talking about Tubby Smith, and y'all stole one of our top recruits this year (Devoe Joseph). Y'all just played... Michigan State was it? much closer than you should have. Minnesota's gonna be a really good team in a year or two. Tubby's an incredible coach, his main problem at Kentucky was that he couldn't recruit the type of Final Four-caliber talent that Kentucky fans expect.

I'm a Vandy fan. We're doing pretty well this year. But seriously, despite beign undefeated, we've played a ton of games close, and though we've played some pretty good opponents, we haven't seen any great ones yet. Assuming we take care of Kentucky on Saturday, our game at UT next week is going to determine whether or not we live up to the hype. Either way, I'm lovin' the team, and though we'll be young next year, the future's looking bright.

Do you mean calling the SEC overrated in football or all around? Cause I've never heard any overt bragging about SEC in any other sports.In terms of football. I hear fairly constant complaining that it's overrated each year, that it's always favored, etc. I stopped by the Florida message board over the season at a couple random intervals, and there were literally dozens of Ohio State fans STILL trying to earn respect for their school and the Big Ten. I think we might also be the best baseball conference out there, but nobody cares about baseball.

Llamas
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Oh, believe you me, I know about Minnesota. UK fans still haven't stopped talking about Tubby Smith, and y'all stole one of our top recruits this year (Devoe Joseph). Y'all just played... Michigan State was it? much closer than you should have. Minnesota's gonna be a really good team in a year or two. Tubby's an incredible coach, his main problem at Kentucky was that he couldn't recruit the type of Final Four-caliber talent that Kentucky fans expect.
Ah yes, I forgot where he came from. We've loved him as a coach so far. Our student section shirts say something like "It's Tubby Time", I believe. Lame, but he's definitely got the support.

The thing is, we've always had good players as long as I've been a fan (which has only been since the 03-04 season). We've just needed the right coach. Tubby has been the right coach so far. We'll lose some key players after this year, but our young players are very hopeful.

We just played Northwestern tonight, won by around 20 points. Before that, we played MSU, lost by 6 :( MSU is second in the big 10 right now, OSU is wtf at the top. Fuck that.

I'm a Vandy fan. We're doing pretty well this year. But seriously, despite beign undefeated, we've played a ton of games close, and though we've played some pretty good opponents, we haven't seen any great ones yet. Assuming we take care of Kentucky on Saturday, our game at UT next week is going to determine whether or not we live up to the hype. Either way, I'm lovin' the team, and though we'll be young next year, the future's looking bright.
I've never followed them, but have heard good things. Now that I'll be back in MN for the season, and around my basketball friends, I'm hoping to get more involved with the season, maybe do brackets for the first time :)

In terms of football. I hear fairly constant complaining that it's overrated each year, that it's always favored, etc. I stopped by the Florida message board over the season at a couple random intervals, and there were literally dozens of Ohio State fans STILL trying to earn respect for their school and the Big Ten. I think we might also be the best baseball conference out there, but nobody cares about baseball.
I really didn't realize the SEC gets so much flac in football. Now I know why you reacted as you did about the BCS thing. OSU fans are bitches in general, to be honest. They're pretty rabid about their football team, and they're super defensive about it because the foul play/cheating rumors that circulated a few years back. They have the second worst fans in the big 10. And while I think this last BCS against LSU was a bit unfair, OSU really did play like shit against the Gators last year- and I fucking hate Florida. I'm pretty sure I got so annoyed in that bowl last year by OSU that I stopped paying attention halfway through the 3rd quarter.

I've honestly never really cared about any conference besides my own, and I don't have any real biases against any of them. I hate certain teams, but no conferences. The thing is, I love Tennessee (one of my favorite teams in football), and kinda hate OSU. But if the BCS had been those two teams, I'd have still cheered for OSU, haha.

RickyCrack
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
i've never said the SEC was overrated, i'm just a life long big 10 fan.

p.s. watch out for next year, i'm going off on a limb but i'm saying illinois is going to be a contendor for the bcs championship.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-11-2008, 06:37 AM
What exactly do you guys mean guy College Football? To me it sounds like you just watch a bunch of teenagers playing American Football? Just wondered.

Dead Kennedy
01-11-2008, 06:57 AM
What exactly do you guys mean guy College Football? To me it sounds like you just watch a bunch of teenagers playing American Football? Just wondered.

I don't care abut college football, Al Bundy was high school football star, 4 touch downs in one game! Beat that, college motherfuckas!

Llamas
01-11-2008, 10:50 AM

College in the US is what you call University. It's our top University league of football. Many people (including myself) find this football to be more entertaining than professional, especially when it's your own University.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
College in the US is what you call University. It's our top University league of football. Many people (including myself) find this football to be more entertaining than professional, especially when it's your own University.

Ahh fair enough, I couldn't imagine any English people watching Uni teams, all they would rather do is watch Footy or boring old Cricket!

Llamas
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Ahh fair enough, I couldn't imagine any English people watching Uni teams, all they would rather do is watch Footy or boring old Cricket!

Well maybe it'd be something like if your Unis had football and cricket teams, haha. But University life in the US is much different and more involved than it is in Europe, too, so it probably still wouldn't be the same.

hshduppsnt
01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
i've never said the SEC was overrated, i'm just a life long big 10 fan.

p.s. watch out for next year, i'm going off on a limb but i'm saying illinois is going to be a contendor for the bcs championship.

You're kidding right? I mean I know Illinois is going to improve but USC destroyed them and I think we can all agree that most of the Pac turned to garbage this year (yeah i'm a cal fan (and alumni)... needless to say i was a little bitter with how this season turned out)...

Man I wanted Illinois to beat USC...

nah next year's BCS is going to be SEC vs Pac-10. We're going to come back strong next year. (Again... I just hope its not USC)

RickyCrack
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Illinois could have beat USC if only they didn't let themselves get stripped at the 10 yard line 3 times in a row on touchdown drives. Add those 21 points onto the score and it would've been a completely different ballgame. Anyways, Illinois is coming back again next year with basically the same line up.

Camel Filters
01-11-2008, 04:03 PM
The Badgers could have beaten USC if they got the Chance to play them.

Llamas
01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
The BADgers sucked pretty hard this year.

Camel Filters
01-12-2008, 08:40 AM
The Badgers could beat the Dolphins.

Sidewinder
01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
In terms of football. I hear fairly constant complaining that it's overrated each year, that it's always favored, etc. I stopped by the Florida message board over the season at a couple random intervals, and there were literally dozens of Ohio State fans STILL trying to earn respect for their school and the Big Ten. I think we might also be the best baseball conference out there, but nobody cares about baseball.
We're best in swimming, also, and are definitely on the rise in basketball with Florida/Vandy etc.

hshduppsnt
01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
We're best in swimming, also, and are definitely on the rise in basketball with Florida/Vandy etc.

No there can't be any doubt that the SEC is a strong conference.

I just think the real issue people have with the SEC and why they lash out is because the SEC always seems to want to discount the other conferences like Pac/Big 10 Big 12 etc.