PDA

View Full Version : Jobs are for suckers!

Llamas
09-04-2007, 02:51 PM
So last week, I started a job at Walgreens (lolol), and I kind of didn't like it right away. They weren't really training me, and I could just tell it would be pretty boring. Well, this weekend I got sick, and screwed up hardcore; didn't go into work two days in a row, and was so passed out/out of it that I didn't call in the first day, and called in late the second day. Well, I called today to apologize to the main boss (I just talked to an assistant on Saturday) and ask when I work next, he was like "OH LOL NO JOB 4 U!" I was like "What? Really?" and I explained that I'd been really sick and was passed out for pretty much an entire day. He was like "U NO HAS JOB NEMOR OMG SRY".

So like, I've had jobs before where people no call/no showed left and right... and never got fired. And come on, it's Walgreens... and I didn't even actually have a schedule yet. He just kind of threw out times he wanted me to come in. And the first two days, I was there 8 hours each day and just stood around... I like didn't learn anything and was extremely bored.

The plus side is that working there made me realize that that kind of job is way beneath me. I haven't worked in a retail setting in years, and I already didn't like it after two days. I was bored and annoyed. So now I'm on to applying for real jobs. :)

So, I've never been fired before... has anyone else ever been fired? Why? Anything as stupid as this? Or much stupider? Tell me your stories! Unless I'm the only person here who's ever been fired!

mrconeman
09-04-2007, 02:58 PM
So like, I totally predicted this.

killer_queen
What's Walgreens?

JohnnyNemesis
No offense, but I think the fact that you thought you could keep working for them after that is pretty stupid. Actually, really stupid. I mean, you weren't working there long enough to get that kind of leeway, were you?

Good luck finding your next job though, because you ARE above that Walgreens type shit. You done graduated from college! What kind of work do you think you'll look into next?

Llamas
09-04-2007, 03:08 PM
So like, I totally predicted this.
lololol you soooo did.

What's Walgreens?
It's a big pharmacy chain that is like... pharmacy, convenience store/health and beauty, and a photo lab all combined.

No offense, but I think the fact that you thought you could keep working for them after that is pretty stupid. Actually, really stupid. I mean, you weren't working there long enough to get that kind of leeway, were you?
Well, I called on Saturday to call in sick, and the assistant manager was like "Okay, that's fine" and then told me to call back on Tuesday when the manager was in next to "find out when I should come in next". I guess I was misled?

Good luck finding your next job though, because you ARE above that Walgreens type shit. You done graduated from college! What kind of work do you think you'll look into next?
Ya thanks! I'm looking at teaching jobs. You know, the kinds that are part time or not really professional so that you don't have to have a teaching degree? :) I'm currently working on my resume... I don't have a copy of mine anymore, so I have to re-write it. I don't know what made me forget that the last few jobs I've had required resumes, and instead apply for crap jobs.

I also hear that at MATC (technical colleges in Wisconsin) you can be a teacher if you have a 4 year degree... don't have to be a licensed teacher. But I don't know how true that is. We'll see!

wheelchairman
09-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah I wouldn't pull that kind of stunt immediately either. But I've never been that sick either (and I'll pretty much call in sick for the slightest reason.)

nieh
09-04-2007, 03:21 PM

I agree, but at the same time I'm constantly surprised by how many people do worse than that after just a couple days and still keep their jobs.

Llamas
09-04-2007, 03:26 PM
I agree, but at the same time I'm constantly surprised by how many people do worse than that after just a couple days and still keep their jobs.

I knew a guy who would disappear for an hour or two while on his shift and clocked in... like we didn't know where he'd go. He was pretty new (couple weeks? still being trained in)... and then they offered him a management position. ??????????

wheelchairman
09-04-2007, 03:33 PM
There was a guy at my workplace who got fired because he was caught smoking during regular work hours (loser.) He was weird, he was like 28 and had a japanese mustache. And he had a mullet. I couldn't really talk to him.

Llamas
09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
My first job was so ghetto that people were actually allowed to smoke in the store on the clock. And the managers used to do coke in the bathroom. And the manager got fired for asking one of the guys who worked there to go in the cooler with him and suck his dick. Was really a job of class.

wheelchairman
09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a friend who works at a Netto (Danish Aldi) like that. Except he loves drugs so he's stoned all the time.

Kasavin
09-04-2007, 03:56 PM
^How did you get an animated avatar? When I tried it, it says animated images aren't accepted.

wheelchairman
09-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm a mod. I mean God.

nieh
09-04-2007, 04:04 PM
I saw two people smoking pot in their car in the parking lot the other day. Seriously, Mount Laurel, NJ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Laurel) is going to become the next Paptown.

JohnnyNemesis
09-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Word.

Ya thanks! I'm looking at teaching jobs. You know, the kinds that are part time or not really professional so that you don't have to have a teaching degree? :) I'm currently working on my resume... I don't have a copy of mine anymore, so I have to re-write it. I don't know what made me forget that the last few jobs I've had required resumes, and instead apply for crap jobs.

Ah, so you're in a very common position. Best of luck, 'cause I know I'm gonna go through something similar, haha.

Oh, and has anyone else added "blow" to the beginning of this thread's title, then looked at "suckers", then giggled?

Rag Doll
09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
i've never been fired. but i have fired people for doing what you did. and i have fired people for calling out so quickly after starting. being a supervisor is nice.

as for what people do at work...ha. my store is ridiculous. k in the bathroom at the holidays. managers smoking pot in their cars and drinking beer on breaks. sex in the basement/wine storage room. lines of coke in the back room (managers and employees) every day. dealing painkillers to employees. drinking bottle after bottle of wine on the clock. vodka "tasting" by doing shots in the office. yup.

Llamas
09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Ah, so you're in a very common position. Best of luck, 'cause I know I'm gonna go through something similar, haha.

haha yeah... it's crazy. I just applied for a job that requires a college degree, having worked with/taught children before, and some knowledge of science. I win. :) And they pay pretty well ($20-30/hr). Sounds much better than Walgreens.

Oh, and has anyone else added "blow" to the beginning of this thread's title, then looked at "suckers", then giggled?
I hadn't but now I wish I'd selected my thread title better.

Reminds me of Russell Peters... "Have you ever been called a blowjob before? Do you realize that if someone calls you a blowjob, there's not one good comeback. There's nothing you can say that'll sound cool."

edit: haha, it's funny that people get fired for not coming to work, but not for doing all kinds of illegal stuff while there... I'm not sure if "funny" is the right word...

JohnnyNemesis
09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
How do you fire people, Sam? Like, what's your choice of words?

Bazza
09-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Damn, my store sounds boring compared to all yours. Although my management can be ridiculously strict, ie giving out written warnings for being a couple of minutes late.

My manager is an asshole, he tried to give me a disciplinary for doing something incorrectly on two separate occasions, yet I was never told what I had done wrong in the first instance, so how the fuck was I meant to get it right next time!?

Rag Doll
09-04-2007, 06:15 PM
it depends on what they did. like, if they have a habit of not coming in....i just wont put them on the schedule. or tell them when they come in that we really don't need them that day, they can go home and not bother coming back.

TBD
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Holy shit, a college graduate applying at a drug store? It would suck being the smartest person in the entire store at an entry level position.

DeAtHsTaR
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
zomg guys, I actually GOT a job at Fred Meyer.

Betty
09-05-2007, 12:40 AM
I also agree regarding the deserving being fired thing. And the people not getting fired when they deserve to thing.

I think the only lower level type job I'd wanna do right now would be bartend. I still think that would be super fun.

Or I guess like, secretary-type work or banking work or something would be okay. When I worked in the cash office of a grocery store in high school, besides having to deal with a LOT of idiots, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, since it was so fast-paced and somewhat challenging. It was probably vaguely like Sam's job now... perhaps a little less supervising, a little more money counting.

Rag Doll
09-05-2007, 03:17 AM
It was probably vaguely like Sam's job now... perhaps a little less supervising, a little more money counting.

prolly the same amount of money counting. i count every register and every bank deposit. yay for being a tiny little division of accounts payable.

BREAK
09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
My first job they used to tell us we couldn't smoke cigarettes out in the field, but everybody did anyway and as far as I know nobody ever got in trouble for it. They just told us to keep our butts out of sight. The head supervisor used to get us high if he had any weed. The owners were this fucked-up sunglasses-wearing couple who had the longest dreadlocks I've ever seen (especially on a white woman). This one motherfucker used to fall asleep in the shade all the time, and one of the toothless dudes who lived with him would tell me how much he liked smoking meth. I don't know why I ever quit.

Llamas
09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
So, I've already applied at a few places that seem perfect for me... one involves teaching science at a learning center. :) I'm also thinking about becoming a substitute teacher. Has anyone ever done that? I'm looking for advice... not sure if it's worth it or not. I see that Jewish Beginnings Preschool is looking for subs... I figure that I could just play that Adam Sandler song during the interview? I think I'd be a shoo-in. But seriously. I also think you can teach at technical colleges with just a bachelor's, but you have to teach in your field of study. So now I have to find out if any of the tech schools around here have German programs...? haha. But yeah. I think I'll find something better than Walgreens.... fuck that shit!

calichix
09-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I work in an auto shop. I'm hoping I'll get a car out of it some day. riding a bike is mildly embarrassing.

batfish
09-06-2007, 06:20 AM
I got fired from my weekend job at a newsagents because i was coming up to my 18th birthday, so they'd have had to raise my wages.

My friend used to work in a turkey farm, plucking the carcasses. He was fired before an inspection or something, because he was only 14 and therefore working illegally.

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 07:04 AM
So, I've never been fired before... has anyone else ever been fired? Why? Anything as stupid as this? Or much stupider? Tell me your stories!

I showed up at work two hours late, drunk on Bombay gin and stoned on weed and dexamphetamine. I had weed and some low-quality dope in my pocket. I took an early lunch break (about an hour early) and spent about three hours getting even drunker at the pub, eating sushi with my fingers, and losing $80 on dogracing. I picked up a 10-pack of syringes from the needle exhange on my way back to work. I clocked in, sat around for about thirty minutes, then went downstairs and smoked a reefer in the work car park. Then I went back upstairs and injected the dope in the toilets. Then I spent about an hour puking and stumbled off home. I wasn't welcome back.

It's a lame story until I mention that I was working in the motherfucking state police headquarters. My getting-fired story beats yours so fucking hard.

Great Mike
09-06-2007, 09:54 AM
It's a lame story until I mention that I was working in the motherfucking state police headquarters. My getting-fired story beats yours so fucking hard.

But what was your job? I don't want to be offensive but if you were doing anything more important than cleaning, I would be a little scared.

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I was an ASO1, which is a lot more important than cleaning (but probably not much better-paying). I had access to the entire police database and had to go through two security clearances on my way to the office each day, with like, James Bond electrico-magnetic door locks and keycards at both of them and an armed guard on the first one.

Whiplash
09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
So what do you do now? Work? ,stay at home?

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Actually, I just applied for a job with the police again. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Whiplash
09-06-2007, 10:08 AM
You becoming a copper? Or some deskjob?

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Deskjob, obviously. I'm unfit and cowardly.

Whiplash
09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
So what if you're not one of Adaliade's finest, I don't think they'd let you be a copper after that last minor mistake at your last job.

Great Mike
09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
It sounds good. Did you have access to your criminal sheet?

Endymion
09-06-2007, 03:35 PM
I work in an auto shop. I'm hoping I'll get a car out of it some day. riding a bike is mildly embarrassing.

psh. move to davis and you'll be the belle of the ball.

Linda
09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
prolly the same amount of money counting. i count every register and every bank deposit. yay for being a tiny little division of accounts payable.

That would be accounts receivable. Accounts payable is paying bills.

Rag Doll
09-06-2007, 07:50 PM
That would be accounts receivable. Accounts payable is paying bills.

i do all of the invoicing/paying the bills also. i do just about everything financial except payroll.

wheelchairman
09-07-2007, 03:42 AM
You should start putting more and more things into the sundries account, and that should go to your bank account.

hhoooooyeah accounting jokes!

JoY
09-07-2007, 03:56 AM
I once had a job in the diner of a mall. total suckage, fucking hated it. I kind of pulled the same stuff you did & after three months they decided to let me go aswell. it was my own fault, I really couldn't blame them. they can't help it I found the job too damn crappy to show up for when it wasn't convenient for me.

& yes, jobs suck. just today I had a long talk with the head of my department. he made me travel two hours in total for a shitty talk about me being chaotic. so what else is new?

Linda
09-07-2007, 06:39 AM
i do all of the invoicing/paying the bills also. i do just about everything financial except payroll.

That's great! So you're more like an accounting manager. Good for you!

Whiplash
09-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I once had a job in the diner of a mall. total suckage, fucking hated it. I kind of pulled the same stuff you did & after three months they decided to let me go aswell. it was my own fault, I really couldn't blame them. they can't help it I found the job too damn crappy to show up for when it wasn't convenient for me.

& yes, jobs suck. just today I had a long talk with the head of my department. he made me travel two hours in total for a shitty talk about me being chaotic. so what else is new?

HEMA right? I had the same job for about 2 years.

And jobs don't suck, you just need to find one you love. Like me, Construction/carpentry is my kinda thing.;p

Llamas
09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I just felt like announcing that I got a job as a part-time teacher. :) I start training on Saturday. This is soooo much better than retail. haha.

wheelchairman
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Oh teaching sucks, trust me. It just sucks less.

Llamas
09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Haha, I've taught before. And I've loved it. So whatever, Mr. Pessimist! :P

the_GoDdEsS
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
What will you be teaching and who?

Llamas
09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Science, children. It's a program that sends out teachers to do after-school courses and things like that. Basically I'll go to different schools around the area during the week and teach an after-school course to children under the age of 12. The goal is to get kids excited about science. I think it's going to be a blast. Everyone I've ever heard who works there thinks so. :) It's not exactly high-level, but it's a good start. And it pays pretty well.

Endymion
09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
i'll be teaching discussion groups starting in.... seventeen days. hopefully after a year of that i'll have gotten a research position.

HeadAroundU
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I'll be teaching anti-abortion grandmoms the sexual education very very soon.

-Dr.HAU

the_GoDdEsS
09-10-2007, 01:08 PM
u r tv brainwash.

Man, everyone's a teacher.

HeadAroundU
09-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I is TV brainwash? :( :(