PDA

View Full Version : Are you racist?

Mota Boy
09-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Take this test (https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/selectatest.html) to find out!

Personally, my results surprised the hell out of me. I got "little to no preference" when I was sure that I would have at least a moderate preference for white people (I grew up in the rural South, for cryin' out loud). It could be that I got so many wrong, however. I'll have to take it again, and I won't be satisfied until it tells me just how racist I am. Anyway, check it out yourself (it's about eight down), as well as any other that are amusing. I'm about to find out how much I hate fat people.

HornyPope
09-05-2007, 06:21 AM
I stopped at the first question. Might do it later, when i'm high... I love me some chocolate.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2007, 06:51 AM
I hate racists, and niggers.

HeadAroundU
09-05-2007, 08:10 AM
*cough*Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.*cough*

DexterWannabe
09-05-2007, 08:23 AM
BOF is a racist

KyleW
09-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Your data suggests a slight automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.

sKratch
09-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I took the fat test. Here's my problem with the test:
The first association grouped "fat" and "bad" with one hand and "thin" and "good" with the other hand. When they switched it to "fat" and "good" and "thin" and "bad" my response time got fucked up because I was so used to doing it the other way. I bet if it were switched around my results would not have been the same.
PS I hate fat people.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
My fingers were too fat, so I hit the wrong key.:(

HeadAroundU
09-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I totally "didn't get" that test (I felt like I'm doing a literacy test) and I found it very amusing. Lol, black people - bad, white people - good!

T-6005
09-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I took the one about Gay people. Apparently I have little to no preference one way or the other.

To be honest, reading this thread first made me prepare myself in advance for the switch - maybe that had something to do with the result and I'm just a big fluffy homophobe.

BREAK
09-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Strangely, every single time the word "Peace" came up, I got it wrong. Most of the others I caught onto pretty quick, but that one kept screwing me up for some reason. I must really hate that fucking word. I also think I screwed up my own results by starting off doing it with one hand, then switching to two hands later on.

But yeah, moderately racist right here.

Andy
09-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I spent most of the test in anticipation of something jumping up from the screen to take advantage of my concentration. I have no faith in the internet.

I do, however, have faith in a multicultural society.

wheelchairman
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Like Break I got:

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Unicultural compared to Multicultural.

I don't particularly agree. I find living in a unicultural society (Denmark) to be boring and that I prefer to create my own niche.

JohnnyNemesis
09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
My "Are you racist?" test consists of one question:

"Are you white?"

(Yes = RACIST. No = KILL WHITEY!!!)

KyleW
09-05-2007, 01:36 PM

"Are you white?"

Dammit, im racist!

Sunny
09-05-2007, 07:05 PM

"Are you white?"

Fucking fool-proof.

-Vera

All About Eve
09-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Where do you go to take the test?:(

I just aced the "are you stupid" test.

Mota Boy
09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
The first association grouped "fat" and "bad" with one hand and "thin" and "good" with the other hand. When they switched it to "fat" and "good" and "thin" and "bad" my response time got fucked up because I was so used to doing it the other way. I bet if it were switched around my results would not have been the same.
PS I hate fat people.
Turns out I do too.

There's actually a section of the FAQ that addresses that issue:

Could the result be a function of the order in which I did the two parts? I had to group one category together with pleasant words first. I then found it difficult when I later had to group the other category with pleasant words.

Answer: The order in which tests are administered does make a difference to the overall result in some tests. However, the difference is small and recent changes to the test have sharply reduced the influence of order. Because of this order effect, the orders used for IATs presented on this website are assigned at random. For any data we present, we are careful to be sure that half the test-takers got the A then B order and the other half got the B then A order. With the revised task design, the order has only a minimal influence on task performance. If you want to check whether the order made a difference for you, you can take the test again and complete it if you get assigned to the reverse order. If you do take the test twice in different orders and get different outcomes, the best estimate of your result is intermediate between the two. For more information about the order effect, see this paper (http://www.projectimplicit.net/articles.php#1) (Nosek, Greenwald, & Banaji, in press).

"Are you white?"
Yours ain't the only one. (http://www.nathanielturner.com/whiteantiracistsopenletter.htm)

Mota Boy
09-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Where do you go to take the test?Follow the link in the original post, then scroll down until you see the "Race IAT" blue box. Click on it.

All About Eve
09-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Funny, it wasn't sending me to that page before.

Llamas
09-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Follow the link in the first post, click on "Demonstration", "Go to demonstration tests", "I wish to proceed". Then it's about 8 down.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2007, 08:20 PM
This is exactly like that stupid quiz that was on an episode of King of the Hill.

Jakebert
09-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Why do I get the feeling Dain got told he was incredibly racist.

Apathy
09-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Mine said I have no prefrence either way. Which is a good thing I suppose.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Why do I get the feeling Dain got told he was incredibly racist.

Actually I haven't taken the test. Haha. But judging by people's results, it's the same ridiculously stupid test that was on King of the Hill. It just tries to confuse you, right?

Okay, I just took the test. It says I have a slight preference to European Americans.

It's still a load of shit. It's more about confusing you than anything. Especially when it switches it up halfway through.

- -Lauren- -
09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
"Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People."

Mota Boy
09-05-2007, 10:31 PM
It's still a load of shit. It's more about confusing you than anything. Especially when it switches it up halfway through.I've already posted why the second part of that is false. As for the first part... of COURSE it's supposed to be confusing. The entire point is that it's testing you on a subconscious level - subconsciously, you find it much easier to associate black people with negative words than white people, or vice-versa. If the test was "Are you racist? Check yes or no." then there'd be no way to gauge an accurate response.

Likewise, if the test was merely about confusing the participants then there would be an equal distribution across the spectrum, when what you find instead is a bias against negatively stereotyped groups. That is exactly the result you would expect in a society with a predominantly negative portrayal of blacks. Even the majority of blacks who take the test end up finding out they have a preference for whites. Also, taking the test repeatedly does not change your score - you can't "learn" to get specific results, as it's all about subconscious reaction times (though, actually, there is one way to "game" the test that does effect your scores, but it likewise operates at a subconscious level - I'll get around to that later).

And sorry about the link - the site is a bit wonky, and apparently only takes you to the testing page if you've already been there once before. Likewise, the order of the IATs seems to appear at random.

DeAtHsTaR
09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
It's still a load of shit. I, among many other people I am sure, tend to tap the same key twice in a row, no matter what the answer is.

In fact, it's basically like one of those things where it has the name of a color in a different color font, and you have to say the color of the font.

black
White
Brown
Yellow

Jakebert
09-06-2007, 06:29 AM
So either you're racist or you have the keyboard skills of a retard.

I din't even think you read Mota Boy's post at all, seeing as all you did was repeat yourself there without adding anything new.

HeadAroundU
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Well, I'll add him one or two arguments. All I wanted was to finish that test as soon as possible because I didn't understand what was going on. I was kind of bored with it, but at least it was amusing. I find this test totally irrelevant.

Also, your subconsious mind it's not the whole you, at least for me. If you know what I mean.

Also, I love racist jokes. And I totally made my own jokes for Rickito. So my subconscious mind is used to it.

I'll repeat the test. And I'll try to make it like I'm not a racist.

I like all kind of tests. But I have very mixed feelings about this test.
H8!

HeadAroundU
09-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Lololololol, I love some nigga'!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/HeadAroundU/loliloveniggas.jpg

I haven't made a single mistake.