PDA

View Full Version : Is APEC worth the hassle?

Alleviate
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't know if you guys have been following the APEC events or know anything about it, but basically every year the leaders from 21 of the most powerful nations on Earth meet in a different location hosted by the nation of one of the leaders. Together these leaders represent around 40% of the worlds total population.

This year the meeting is being held in Sydney, Australia, and started a few days ago. President Bush arrived in our city on Tuesday night, and since then the city has been going through the biggest security lockdown in Australia's history.

I must admit I am excited to have the president staying a mere 20km from my house, and showing off our city to some of the most powerful people in the world, but does it have to come at the expense of inconveniencing everyone who works in the city? The situation currently is a nightmare for Sydneysiders who need to go into the city. Concrete walls have been put all over the city effectively making 5km of our city's biggest streets a ghost town. All parking spaces starting from 10km out of the city and continuing right through the CBD have all been declared clearways making driving to work almost impossible. Our transport minister asked people to catch the bus, but then complained to many people had caught it when there was a massive bankup, and buses arrived at there destinations very late.

Snipers are on almost every roof possible in the inner city near where Bush is staying, as well as a 24 hour police operation which has taken police from all over the rest of the city to watch for any trouble. I watched the news last night to see that even when Bush took a ferry into the harbor a man fishing was taken by police and forced to go home, because no-one was allowed anyone near Sydney harbor when Bush was on the Harbor. Even though the man was over a kilometer away from where Bush was going to eventually pass, not to mention the man was standing on land so there was no way he could have reached Bush to begin with.

Protestors have been told they will be arrested even for peaceful protests if they go to the inner city suburb of Martin Place where the President is staying, and even residents of the area are not permitted back into there homes without photo ID.

I just cant believe what we are going through to show good hospitality to a man who cant even spell the name of our city (He spealt it Sidney in his press release). No other leaders including the Chinese President who looks after a Billion people, nor the Russian President have needed any such measures to be taken in our city. Many people in Sydney like myself are failing to see why all this is necessary. Sure George Bush is a terrorist threat, but why invite him to Sydney knowing he is going to inconvenience hundreds of thousands of people who need to use the city for work everyday, and who happen to live there? Why couldn't they hold this meeting in Canberra which is the not very populated Capital of Australia?

All as Bush has done so far is inconvenience many of us living in Sydney. He is already extremely unpopular here along with our Prime Minister, and he is doing nothing to curb the opinion of many that the Iraq war should never have happened.

What I want to ask though, particularly to other people who might live in Sydney or Australia in general what they think of Bush needing so much security priviledge, to the point he inconveniences everyone while he is here?
I'd also be interested to hear if other countries have gone through so much security lockdown when Bush has visitied their countries, and if you know anything about Apec and if anything worthwhile actually comes from these meetings?

wheelchairman
09-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Yeah Bush has turned Sydney into a real Baghdad...

Autonomist
09-06-2007, 06:37 AM
The Chasers got arrested for dressing up like terrorists and prancing around outside Bush's hotel. That made it worth it.

the_GoDdEsS
09-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Oh my God, they did? Lolz. Did it get aired?

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 06:44 AM
George Bush is such an inconvenience. :mad:

Autonomist
09-06-2007, 06:45 AM
It'd better get aired, they went to a lot of trouble and even got past two security zones.

Furthermore, the extra APEC security is fantastic. There wasn't a single "adlay" to be seen anywhere on the streets tonight, resulting in me having a great time.

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 06:49 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/06/woz106.xml

How many Canadian diplomats have the same fashion sense as Osama bin Ladin?

Alleviate
09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
It'd better get aired, they went to a lot of trouble and even got past two security zones.

Furthermore, the extra APEC security is fantastic. There wasn't a single "adlay" to be seen anywhere on the streets tonight, resulting in me having a great time.I love the Chaser. And to top it all off they have proven today that all the millions tax payers have spent on Apec Security is useless without common sense. The Chaser guys got through two security checkpoints pretending to be Canadians, and even wrote "Insecurity" instead of "Security" on their fake passes to try and tip the police off early. I don't think they thought they would get anywhere near as far in as they did.

Alleviate
09-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Have a look at the pass that was used by a chaser team member to get through the security:

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200709/r174626_662005.jpg

Good security ay?

F@ BANKZ
09-08-2007, 02:51 AM
A simiar incident occured in Britain several years back. If I recall corrctly this guy got right up to the members of the royal family and had short conversations with many of them including the queen. I think that all he did was hop over an unguarded wall.