PDA

View Full Version : Should I get braces again?

Kasavin
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I first got braces in fifth grade. Three years later, in 8th grade, I got them taken off. However, another ortho says I need them for two more years (im in 9th now). My teeth don't look perfectly straight, but they are straight. he says i need them to fix my "jaw". Is it worth to get them on again?

HornyPope
09-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Depends, do you think you'll be missing out on some pussy (due to your ugly looks)? Your doctor doesn't think so, and who am I to question him?

wheelchairman
09-06-2007, 03:56 AM
No. Absolutely not.

Braces are another aborration of the American dental system. Why are they so fucking necessary? And then why are they so fucking expensive? Fuck it, ask a doctor to get one of your teeth pulled. That's what I did, and it's never been a problem for me. Except I have one tooth on the bottom row that's slightly ahead of the others, I call him chopper*.

*simpsons joke that I dain'd.

Llamas
09-06-2007, 04:01 AM
I had braces and I'm very glad I did. My teeth were very messed up, like to the point where I couldn't properly close my mouth naturally cause of the top row, and my bottom teeth were so crowded that one tooth was being jammed behind the others so you couldn't see it, which was very uncomfortable. Pulling a tooth would've left a gap on the bottom, and would've made the problem worse on the top. But except for rather drastic things like that, I think braces are overdone. Perfectly straight teeth aren't necessary... but it is very unattractive to me when a guy has pretty messed up teeth.

wheelchairman
09-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Yes but in this instance his teeth are straight....

Llamas
09-06-2007, 04:20 AM
I know, I was trying to say that unless you have a pretty extreme situation, braces are stupid. They are overdone... every parent thinks his/her kid needs braces. It's ridiculous.

Sin Studly
09-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Real men do their own dentistry.

ZagmenO
09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Braces should be outlawed, for real. They got this stuff called Invisalign that's been out for a few years, I think. It's clear, removable, and comfortable. Take 'em out to eat and brush your teeth. You wear 'em and nobody knows you're wearing them.

I had braces from 2001 to 2005. Gay! I asked my Ortho if I could get Invisalign instead of having to wear the braces. I forget the reason why I couldn't.

Sunny
09-06-2007, 10:22 AM
eh. well. the people i know who had braces were glad that they got them, and a lot of people who didn't get them want to get their teeth fixed. so. hm.

i didn't have braces when i was little, so i ended up with two gaps in my teeth. it sucked, so i got them fixed, which hurt/was expensive. :|

if you're a-ok with the way your teeth look, leave them alone, but if you feel there's room for improvement, give braces a go.

KyleW
09-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I've never had braces and im still a child, my dentist says i shoul get them, i only have a very small gap between my front two upper teeth and to be honest its never been a problem. I'm happy with the way my teeth look and it has never stopped my from getting a girlfriend so if you feel confident about your teeth as they are then why fork out the cash for braces that wont help much.

Kasavin
09-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm just worried, because I don't really want them in high school, when most people get their's off. And if I go dating, I don't really want braces. I don't want to kiss someone with braces (neither would she). It hurts, I've heard. And they're just ugly and kinda make your face look bigger. I don't want to ruin my highschool years. And just the fact I've already had them on for my middle school entirety bugs me that I'll have to get them for half my high school years, too.

My teeth may slightly stick out, but you wouldn't notive it unless you looked up close for a while. I hear a clicking noise in my jaw when I move it, I think that's what he wants to fix, and my slightly out of place teeth that don't really aling, but I don't know if it's worth it.

dexandnoodles
09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
i'm glad i got braces...i mean they go really fast actually (for me at least..) because i got mine in july, and it's september and my teeth are perfectly straight..so you might only have to keep them on for maybe a couple months or something... but i'm not sure

T-6005
09-06-2007, 02:52 PM
If they're straight enough, then they're straight enough.

Homer
09-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I think the reason he'd need to get braces again is because of his jaw, not his teeth. So, why would teeth be a part of the equation? If you want your jaw fixed, then do it.

One of the main reasons I had braces was because I had a slight overbite, and my teeth were a little fucked up too.

Jakebert
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
There was this girl who sat with my table at lunch during high school who wore braces and was a huge slut. So we'd always pretend to check her braces for pubic hair.

We weren't very funny, but we had fun.

Homer
09-06-2007, 08:40 PM
There was this girl who sat with my table at lunch during high school who wore braces and was a huge slut. So we'd always pretend to check her braces for pubic hair.

We weren't very funny, but we had fun.

You just Dain'd yourself.

All About Eve
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I was told I have an overbite, but that the braces were unnecessary, because it would never hurt me. Some overbites can cause gum infections where the teeth rub the gums themselves. That's all I have to add.

Kasavin
09-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I was told I have an overbite, but that the braces were unnecessary, because it would never hurt me. Some overbites can cause gum infections where the teeth rub the gums themselves. That's all I have to add.

Do you ever notice clicking noises in your jaw? I'm so hung up on what to do...

Homer
09-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, if you're worried about having the braces be noticeable on your teeth, then ask your orthodontist about a new type of braces that are clear and are only put in the spots where they're needed. I think that's what they are. I don't know if you can use this type for situation, but hey, you never know. I personally didn't have those type, but I saw them on a pamphlet.

Betty
09-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Is there another orthodontist? Can you get a second opinion? If it's a serious problem to your mouth/jaw/teeth functioning properly in the future, then you should get them.

Dr.evil
09-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Real men do their own dentistry.

yeah, there called bar fights

F@ BANKZ
09-08-2007, 10:19 AM
I got mine out about 4/5 months back (And the National Health Service Paid for them!!!). I figure if your teeth are straight enough they are not seriously aggravating you & there isn't a serious risk of them getting all messed again leave it, two years is a pretty long time.

Thomas
09-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Braces should be outlawed, for real. They got this stuff called Invisalign that's been out for a few years, I think. It's clear, removable, and comfortable. Take 'em out to eat and brush your teeth. You wear 'em and nobody knows you're wearing them.

I had braces from 2001 to 2005. Gay! I asked my Ortho if I could get Invisalign instead of having to wear the braces. I forget the reason why I couldn't.

The problem with Invisalign is that if you don't have enough of an overbite, then your teeth will bite down on the plastic and ruin it. I had braces for middle school and got them off before high school. Now I'm a senior and my bottom teeth shifted, so I have braces on my bottom teeth. It sucks, yeah, but I think in my future, I won't regret it, even though I'll be wearing them for a few years in college.

btw, some girls think braces are cute, so you can use them to your advantage.

All About Eve
09-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Do you ever notice clicking noises in your jaw? I'm so hung up on what to do...

Yes, but I've been told that my jaw is just a little worn down because I grind my teeth while I sleep, so it doesn't sit properly. Braces can't really fix that.

batfish
09-08-2007, 02:47 PM
It probably depends on how much more growing you have to do. What is a minor problem now might look a lot worse when your face shape has changed.

But then again, if your old ortho thought it was OK, your new one's probably just out for the money. You don't need perfectly straight teeth to have a nice smile.

Kasavin
10-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Please, I need help. I can't close my mouth naturally. When I'm standing normall, my mouth is slightly open, not closed like it's supposed to be? Is that a turn off and should I fix it.

wheelchairman
10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I heard that can kill you.

And it's a definite turn-off, you don't want women thinking you're some kind of slack-jawed yokel.

coke_a_holic
10-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Life is awesome.

Kasavin
10-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Please, I'm serious its not like wid open just a tiny bit

khaaaaan
10-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Last Friday I met a girl at a bar who told me that all she wanted as a kid was to have braces. She grew up on some little island in the middle of nowhere and all the cool kids on this island wore braces. But her dentist wouldn't give her any:( Poor girl.

Jakebert
10-15-2007, 05:39 AM
No. Absolutely not.

Braces are another aborration of the American dental system. Why are they so fucking necessary? And then why are they so fucking expensive? Fuck it, ask a doctor to get one of your teeth pulled. That's what I did, and it's never been a problem for me. Except I have one tooth on the bottom row that's slightly ahead of the others, I call him chopper*.

*simpsons joke that I dain'd.

Dental plan.

Lisa needs braces.

Dental plan.

Lisa needs braces.

Autonomist
10-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Bullseye! .