PDA

View Full Version : CDs that were mediocre when you bought them but suddenly loved years later

wheelchairman
09-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Sorry for the long title, I really couldn't figure out a way to summarize the point of this topic in a shorter manner.

This thread, as the title explains, are the cds which you bought and at first you didn't really like but then years later you hear again and instantly love. Of course you always liked the album, it just wasn't that great, it had little replay value and you'd only hear it on a random playlist or something.

But suddenly years later the album just turns out to be brilliant. This might be in a spout of drunk listening or simply due to recent personal experiences, or it might just suddenly click, but suddenly you love this album much more than you used to. And you are thankful, finally, after all these years, that you bought it.

I have two such albums.
The first I bought 3 years ago. Winterheart's Guild, by Sonata Arctica. I bought it in Minsk because someone recommended it to me, saying it's reminiscent of Nightwish (who I was interested in at the time.) The album was alright, it wasn't great. But when I hear it now, and this is a recent change, I just love it. It's really really good. The lyrics are great.

The other album was Love and Theft by Bob Dylan. It was two discs, the second disc with a re-recording of The Times They Are A-Changing, and I Was Young When I Left Home was always great. But it's only recently where I've enjoyed the first disc. Particularly the songs Mississippi and Floater (Too Much To Ask) are particularly enjoyable.

Also Future by Leonard Cohen wasn't my thing the first time I heard it, like Bob Dylan I was used to his younger voice, but it grew on me.

So anyone else relate to this?

Mannen som blev en gris
09-07-2007, 08:45 AM
The albums I really like have usually taken a few plays for me to like. Never years though, because usually if I buy a CD, and don't like it straight away, I listen to it until I do. Or at least try to.

One exception though, I guess, is Bloodhound Gang's Hooray for Boobies. I liked it when I first bought it, but I was like 8 at the time. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I decided to listen to it again and suddenly really liked it.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Throwing Copper by Live would definitely be one of them. Actually it's the only one I can think of. But I still love that album today.

I have two such albums.
The first I bought 3 years ago. Winterheart's Guild, by Sonata Arctica. I bought it in Minsk because someone recommended it to me, saying it's reminiscent of Nightwish (who I was interested in at the time.) The album was alright, it wasn't great. But when I hear it now, and this is a recent change, I just love it. It's really really good. The lyrics are great.
Yeah, that was definitely my least favorite SA album at first. And it might still be, but I don't think it's bad anymore. It's one of those rare albums that starts out a little weak and then gets really good by the tracks at the end.

opivy21
09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I've borrowed a lot of my parents' music that I heard growing up. I never disliked their music, but I didn't particularly care for it either, and now I've gone back and am starting to get into some of it.

Jakebert
09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
This is a great thread. I may have to make a vice-verse sequel sometime.

Against Me!- Searching For a Former Clarity.

I don't know why I didn't like it at first, but I didn't. Now it's one of my favorite albums.

R.E.M.- Fables of the Reconstruction.

It was the first IRS-era R.E.M. album I got, and I was really surprised by how moody it was. In fact, it's probably the most moody R.E.M. album ever, so starting there was probably a bad idea. But after I got into R.E.M. some more, I really grew to love it.

The Clash- London Calling.

I got it at the height of my punk phase, so I didn't appreciate how brilliant it truely is. Now, it's the only Clash album I still listen to.

Sonic Youth- Dirty.

I still somewhat dislike early 90's era Sonic Youth, but I do enjoy this album more than I did when I first got it.

Saves the Day- In Reverie.

I loved Stay What You Are, and was really disappointed by how different this album sounds. Now, I prefer it to SWYA because it's so different. Those are still the only Saves the Day albums I like.

Andy
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Motion City Soundtrack - I am the Movie

Saw these at Manchester when they supported on Blink 182's diabolical farewell tour. Never really paid much attention to then (MCS) when they played but remember one or two songs being pretty catchy. Well, my mate bought the album I Am The Movie that night and I copied it onto my iPod. 2 years later and when I had the aforementioned iPod on shuffle the song "The Future Freaks Me Out" came on, and I fell in love. Since then, I Am The Movie has become one of my favourite CD's of the 2000's. And The Future Freaks Me Out is undoubtedly one of my favourite songs of all time - one of those songs that truly sums up how you feel about the world, granted at a superficial perspective.

opivy21
09-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I was pretty disappointed when I got In On The Kill Taker by Fugazi because I hadn't heard much by them and I guess I expected the songs to all be like Waiting Room. Most of them, of course, were not. I've pulled it out a couple times since then, and the last time I listened, I was able to go through it without skipping any songs.

BREAK
09-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Zombies - Odessey & Oracle
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Mogwai - Young Team
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Vandals - Live Fast, Diarrhea (even though I still only like about 5 songs on it)
XTC - Drums & Wires
Brian Eno - Before & After Science

Still waiting for the day where I can fully appreciate these:

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Any AC/DC album

All About Eve
09-08-2007, 03:02 PM
The past week I've listened to "Deadwing" by Porcupine Tree a whole lot, and hardly ever have in the year + I've had it otherwise. I really like my James cd, "Laid", a whole lot more than I did when I bought it as well.

JohnnyNemesis
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Radiohead - Amnesiac

I agree. Some songs are awesome immediately, but as a whole it's really hard to get into.

Kid A, on the other hand, was immediately brilliant for me.

coke_a_holic
09-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante

Any AC/DC album
1. What's not to love about it?

2. What's there to love about them?

nieh
09-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Kid A, on the other hand, was immediately brilliant for me.

Actually, aside from the opening track on Kid A (I heard a different version of the song first and was disappointed with how the keys sound on the album version), I liked it a lot the first time and progressively less every other time I listen to it. The best are amazing, but it feels like a lot of it is incredibly underwritten atmospheric filler. Amnesiac only has like one, maybe two songs that don't do anything for me, but I agree that it's a bit difficult when you first listen. Dollars & Cents is one of my favorite songs they've ever done and no one ever talks about how awesome it is. It sounds like a bad dream in the best way possible.

KyleW
09-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Every Offspring album has done this to me but only over a short period of time. When I first put self titled, ignition, smash, americana, conspiracy of one or even splinter in for the first time I always thought well... this is The Offsprings worst album by far. Then as I listened to them more and more I though actually this isn't too bad. Then i though, Actually this is quite good. And finally, this is fucking brilliant!

Ixnay was the only exception. I loved this album from the moment I first heard it and its the reason that its my favourite album. There are also a few individual songs that did that (hit that, vultures, living in chaos etc.)

Apart from that I dont think there has ever been an incident like this. I guess i should dig out some old CD's and have a listen.

coke_a_holic
09-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Not really over years, but BTMI!'s Album Minus Band and Against Me!'s as The Eternal Cowboy took about 6 months before I decided that they were fantastic.

Directly after the Against Me! settling in, I downloaded the rest of their cds and listened to them nonstop and they became one of my favorite bands. It was weird because I didn't really like them that much beforehand.

Llamas
09-09-2007, 06:08 AM
I've had some Ani DiFranco albums for years... and I have JUST started listening to them. It's kind of ridiculous. But she's fucking amazing. I now have a need to get some more of her stuff...

Autonomist
09-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Any AC/DC album

You may have to wait a while on that one.

When I got Dirt by Alice In Chains I didn't think it was anything particularly special. They're one of my favourite bands now.

jacknife737
09-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Directly after the Against Me! settling in, I downloaded the rest of their cds and listened to them nonstop and they became one of my favorite bands. It was weird because I didn't really like them that much beforehand.

I was the same, i had heard about them but didn't think that they were anything special. That was, until Warren Kinsella posted on his blog that people should check out Searching, so i downloaded it, and now it's definitey in my top five albums of all time, and Against Me! are now one of my favorite bands.

Wouli
09-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Cool thread ...

So :

Every Nightwish albums ... (Just for Tarja's voice, .. I hated it but now I like it ...)
Spheric Universe Experience - Mental Torments (At first, the music was for me really ... common and awful but now I'm in love with this album ...)
The Offspring - Self Titled
Rancid - Indestructible

Now, I'm waiting for the day where I will appreciate Labrie's voice ... (Dream Theater singer ...)

MyNameIsMud
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I re-bought a copy of Tool's Aenemia today. I really forgot how much the holographics add to the experience of listening to the album. When it first came out, I remember how neat I thought it looked. Years go by, and it's more amazing than ever. Ah, the power of Tool.

.:SMASH:.
09-10-2007, 01:38 AM
let's see here

Sum 41 - Chuck
This one was just too much of a change for Sum 41 for me..I was really dissapointed at first but at first but later I realised all the stuff on it was pretty good.

Ignition/Smash - The Offspring
I was a young kid at the time and I never really appreciated this sort of music, and when I listened to it again when I was a more h4rDCOr3 offspring fan, I thought it was great.

Crisis - Alexisonfire
I truly cannot understand why I never liked this album at first, but I despised it...It's a good fucking album though

From Here to Infirmary - Alkaline Trio
I used to think these guys were boring. Over time I enjoyed their music. That simple.

City Of Evil - Avenged Sevenfold
I refused to like these guys because of the kornyness and the fucking vocals but syn's solos eventually seduced me =p

Futures - Jimmy Eat World
No idea....Good shit right there

One X - Three Days Grace
I used to think Three days Grace sucked balls and when I first listened to this album I told myself I hated them so much I was convinced. A year later, I listen to them. realise they changed big time and fell in love

And Every Rage Against the Machine Album

coke_a_holic
09-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Oh, and:

The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger

Reason I hated it: too many screams.
Reason I love it: overload of fucking awesome.

Easily in my top 10 favorite albums ever.

BREAK
09-10-2007, 09:56 AM
1. What's not to love about it?

2. What's there to love about them?

1. Every song on it pretty much kills, it's just not the type of thing I feel like sitting through very often.

2. I really love their singles and "Girls Got Rhythm", but so far their image seems a whole lot cooler than their actual music.

MyNameIsMud
09-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Futures - Jimmy Eat World
No idea....Good shit right there

And Every Rage Against the Machine Album

It's weird, but I agreee with the Jimmy selection. I don't even like JEW (heh). How'd this happen?

But, Rage. Hells yeah. Did you go to Coachella?

batfish
09-11-2007, 04:53 AM
It took me a few months of on/off listening to appreciate Weezer - Make Believe.

Also I'm suddenly getting into the cheesy 90s pop that I despised when I was about 8, but am recently finding endearingly catchy...

Andy
09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger

I'm still anxiously waiting to fall in love with that CD. Apparently The Fall Of Troy are big influences of the guitar/songwiting of Conquistadors songs, so I think I better like them.

What I do know about Fall of Troy is that I love Laces Out, Dan.

Men-Ow! Men-En-En-Ow!

coke_a_holic
09-11-2007, 02:49 PM
LOOK AT MY EEEYYYYYEEEE
DO YOU THINK THAT I WAS JOKIIING?!?!
are you really.... THAT UNPREPARED?!

Laces Out, Dan! is one fucking kickass song.

Stranger With Candy
09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Pearl Jam - Ten. I used to be a TRU PUNX!!! and for some odd reson i thought tha Pearl Jam was a punk band. In my defence, i was around 9-10 years old.

Meg
09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
never really had this problem. But i've had plenty of Cd's i loved at the time, then hated then sort of re-discovered again. One such example would be Fallen by Evanescence. Haven't listened to it in ages though.

IAmARevenant
09-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Insomniac - Green Day
...And Out Come the Wolves - Rancid

MyNameIsMud
09-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Razorblade Suitcase - Bush