PDA

View Full Version : Strangest/Most Screwed Up Bands Ever.

Jakebert
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
This could either be in the negative way or the positive, depending on what you like.

My vote goes for Xiu Xiu. Aside from how odd and strange the music itself is, the lyrics are some of the most fucked up things ever written. In the good way, of course. If you want a clue as to how strange they are, one of their album covers features a naked Vietnamese prostitute. It is uncensored in certain countries.

coke_a_holic
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
In before Endy ruins your sense in music forever.

My votes: Naked City (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xkrfVZGmLL8)
Foxy Shazam!
Captain Beefheart

Jakebert
09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
This is perfect timing as I'm in the process of downloading a Captain Beefheart album as we speak.

All About Eve
09-11-2007, 10:42 PM
An Cafe.

I mean seriously.

Their MALE singer:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/angies_piccies/jrock/an%20cafe/bou/bou101.jpg

coke_a_holic
09-11-2007, 11:08 PM
This is perfect timing as I'm in the process of downloading a Captain Beefheart album as we speak.

Good luck, it's unlistenable.

I have Trout Mask Replica and I just don't get it.

Endymion
09-12-2007, 02:58 AM
this could go a lot of different ways...

in a lot of ways Neon Hunk... or Pretty Thigh. maybe Les Georges Leningrad. Holy Molar's latest EP is pretty damn weird. Hentai Cum Dungeon is definitely up there. as is Arab on Radar.

MyNameIsMud
09-12-2007, 03:05 AM
Mr. Bungle - positively, and The Mars Volta - negatively.

BREAK
09-12-2007, 09:01 AM
The Residents. Thread over.

Sun Ra also deserves a mention, though probably more for his personal worldview than his actual music.

Little_Miss_1565
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Residents for sure, but let's not forget Captain Ahab.

nieh
09-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I have Trout Mask Replica and I just don't get it.
I agree completely but from what I understand it's their weirdest one. My biggest complaint is that there doesn't seem to be any point to it, it's just weird for the sake of weird (I know I've said that about some other bands and came around on it, but never have for this). And I know they planned every note ahead of time and had to practice for months to get it 'perfect', but it doesn't change the fact that I've heard local punk bands come up with stuff that sounded exactly the same at the drop of a hat while jokingly being 'artsy' and having everyone play something completely different.

The Residents.
Truth.

Jakebert
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm listening to Trout Mask Replica as we speak. I like it.

MyNameIsKip
09-19-2007, 01:34 AM
An Cafe.

I mean seriously.

Their MALE singer:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i299/angies_piccies/jrock/an%20cafe/bou/bou101.jpg

She's hot.

Endymion
09-19-2007, 02:18 AM
I agree completely but from what I understand it's their weirdest one. My biggest complaint is that there doesn't seem to be any point to it, it's just weird for the sake of weird (I know I've said that about some other bands and came around on it, but never have for this). And I know they planned every note ahead of time and had to practice for months to get it 'perfect', but it doesn't change the fact that I've heard local punk bands come up with stuff that sounded exactly the same at the drop of a hat while jokingly being 'artsy' and having everyone play something completely different.

are you also of the opinion that jackson pollock's work could have been done by a five year old?

nieh
09-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm not really familiar with him, but judging based off the couple pictures in wikipedia I'd say no. I just don't get anything from the music on that album, it sounds like the only thing they had in mind was to be weird and quirky with no clear effect to it. It's not like the Residents which is weird and quirky and who are generally kind of eerie sounding while their Third Reich N Roll album is a commentary on pop/rock music as a whole. It's not like early Devo which had a similar concept as the Residents in regards to pop music but also had the added bonus of trying to be so obnoxious and awkward sounding live that it would piss hippies off so they would start going out and protesting again after the Kent State shootings scared them into being quiet. It's not even like the Shaggs Philosophy of the World which was just so innocently weird and quirky that it's actually kind of fun to listen to occasionally. I can't write it off completely though because without that album I know there'd be no late-era Tom Waits, no Primus, no Man Man, etc, it just doesn't appeal to me at all. Maybe I'll give it another try again sometime (I think I still have it at home) but I don't expect it to be any different. I remember actually liking about 1/4 of the songs to some extent, but everything else just didn't click even after a few tries.

ruroken
09-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Foxy Shazam!

I fucking love "NO! Don't Shoot". Especially when he's talking about the soap and then the wedding and whatever the fuck those sounds he makes after that are supposed to be 'the three words she said'. It's kinda creepy.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
theres a band called anal cunt...

Endymion
09-23-2007, 11:10 AM
theres a band called anal cunt...

who play almost completely generic grind. get a life already.

Jakebert
09-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I hate people who think Anal Cunt is so offensive and original or whatever. So many bands are way more offensive, seeing as Anal Cunt try way too fucking hard.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 01:08 PM
ive never heard there music, just saying i heard their name and i thougght it was messed up

BREAK
09-24-2007, 09:01 AM
I hate people who think Anal Cunt is so offensive and original or whatever. So many bands are way more offensive, seeing as Anal Cunt try way too fucking hard.

Add to that the fact that they're not even as offensive as they could be, since they purposely sing their lyrics indecipherably. Pussies. Did you hear about how Seth Putnam OD'd and was in a coma? I liked that.

Also, what the fuck with these not being mentioned:

Syd Barrett
Roky Erickson
Daniel Johnston

Actual, mentally ill musicians? How can the normal compete?

Little_Miss_1565
09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Did you hear about how Seth Putnam OD'd and was in a coma? I liked that.

Even better was that while he was still recovering from the drug-induced stroke, he did an AC show from a wheelchair. "Hi, we're Anal Cunt" (audience cheers) "I had a stroke, so I'm still relearning how to walk and stuff. So this next song is called 'If You Listen To Dismemberment Plan, You're a FAGGOT!"

XYlophonetreeZ
09-24-2007, 10:16 AM
'If You Listen To Dismemberment Plan, You're a FAGGOT!"
I'm sort of ashamed to know this, but I think you're confusing Dismemberment Plan with Dillinger Escape Plan.

Endymion
09-24-2007, 04:08 PM

eg the late, great wesley willis?

Jakebert
09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Add to that the fact that they're not even as offensive as they could be, since they purposely sing their lyrics indecipherably. Pussies. Did you hear about how Seth Putnam OD'd and was in a coma? I liked that.

Also, what the fuck with these not being mentioned:

Syd Barrett
Roky Erickson
Daniel Johnston

Barrett wasn't actually that strange, or at least I never really thought so. Some of the lyrics were weird, but the music was never too much different than the other stuff around at that time. It was better than the other stuff at the time, but not overly different.

opivy21
09-24-2007, 04:34 PM
And Tiny Tim? He's not too strange, but I've heard him grouped with Daniel Johnston and Wesley Willis.

BREAK
09-24-2007, 06:23 PM

I declined to mention him because his music is so formulaic and unvarying, but yeah. The man was a genius of the pop song form.

Barrett wasn't actually that strange, or at least I never really thought so. Some of the lyrics were weird, but the music was never too much different than the other stuff around at that time. It was better than the other stuff at the time, but not overly different.

But surely as a person he was a weird motherfucker. You don't have to be groundbreaking or experimental to be considered "weird". Plus if there's a well-known precedent to his guitar solo style, I'd like to hear it.

I'm sort of ashamed to know this, but I think you're confusing Dismemberment Plan with Dillinger Escape Plan.

The actual title is "Anybody Who Listens to the Dillinger Escape Plan is a Faggot." But I'll allow that the singer himself was still brain-damaged and screwed it up. :cool:

Post: I think I contradicted myself by saying that Wesley Willis couldn't be the most screwed-up band/guy ever because his music isn't wild or "out there", then saying that Syd Barrett must be considered weird even if some of his stuff is relatively tame. This is bullshit. Let it be said that I find Willis more "unique" than "weird", and that some of my reasons for finding Barrett "weird" are non-musical.

IAmARevenant
09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Ritalin Overdose (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=99390249)

Endymion
09-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Ritalin Overdose (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=99390249)

yes, because generic lowfi screamo is strange and screwed up.

Little_Miss_1565
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM

The actual title is "Anybody Who Listens to the Dillinger Escape Plan is a Faggot." But I'll allow that the singer himself was still brain-damaged and screwed it up. :cool:

LOL. I confuse my D-Plan bands. Thought I would have thought that Dismemberment Plan would be considered more 'faggoty' than Dillinger. Facts aside, the spirit of that intro remains. Dude was unapologetic even to the point of nearly destroying himself.

IAmARevenant
09-25-2007, 08:33 PM
yes, because generic lowfi screamo is strange and screwed up.
jeez, no reason to be hard.

ruroken
09-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Gabby La Ba.

DeAtHsTaR
09-26-2007, 03:39 PM
www.myspace.com/dtoxrockers

Endymion
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
www.myspace.com/dtoxrockers

i appreciate this post.

nieh
09-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Gabby La Ba.

No. If Tom Waits was a cute little fairy instead of a drunken grizzly bear, he would sound almost exactly like Gabby La La. Except he'd probably do it better. I'm still kind of pissed at Les Claypool for hyping her album so much.

ruroken
09-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I think its gayly addictive