PDA

View Full Version : Making fun of 9/11, funny?

mrconeman
09-12-2007, 08:34 AM
I was half expecting a thread to be made yesterday, but there never was. Did people forget (NEVAR 4GET), or is it just not funny anymore?
I mean I recall having a hearty lol at the Prnk n U(SA)'s and the NEVAR 4GET's of old.
Plus this:
http://www.911wasfunny.com/main.php?g2_itemId=62

funny/notfunny

Sunny
09-12-2007, 08:43 AM
aw. well. it's a tough one. i know people who lost relatives in 911, so in that sense, ya, not funny. v.sad in fact. but i did lol at prnk on u(sa) and the "i'm falling for you" valentine's day card. so.

it's like, i'd make holocaust/lollercaust jokes with people on this board, but i wouldn't say them around my grandma, and i don't think it's funny that she was in a work camp... yknow?

mrconeman
09-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Oh, dear. I of course meant to make the distinction of it being funny on the internets, IRL is a different story, especially for people over there. I do think the internets adds that little wall were really it just seems like words put together in a funny form no matter what the situation. I can't really put together what I'm trying to say properly, but I assume most people will understand me.

I was more just asking is the internet trend of making fun of it still alive and well, and how come no one made a "NEVAR 4GET" thread.

RickyCrack
09-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Ninths was dying yesterday from the deadly cold virus, and without him the holiday just loses it's meaning. We will, however, post a picture of the super sweet mural that we drew on his wall. Yes it's a mural.

HornyPope
09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I just didn't have time for it, honestly. I was out all day celebrating.

Not Ozymandias
09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Not funny.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2677/11760935427671c37b3d2ta9.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9783/911fg8.jpg

BREAK
09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
The only ones I honestly ever lol'd at are the Hulk Hogan set and the pictures of ninth dancing around in front of the wreckage going "born2die!" There's nothing intrisnically funny about the tragedy itself.

Sinister
09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Funny. Most likely because I'm not American.

Lodat225
09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
As long as it didn't happen to me / relatives... I don't care.

Jakebert
09-12-2007, 01:00 PM
It really depends on the specific joke. I think any topic can be funny if the joke is good enough.

SeanZombie
09-12-2007, 02:32 PM
And I think it's funny about how like I forgot 3000 people died and yet 20 of my friends that had reletives that died in 9/11 when I live in California.

And yeah 9/11 is funny.

Endymion
09-12-2007, 02:49 PM
i sent my dear friend ninth a text of appreciation on 9/11.

JohnnyNemesis
09-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Kill the President! Unify that single line!

Jakebert
09-12-2007, 03:04 PM
i sent my dear friend ninth a text of appreciation on 9/11.

Haha, awesome.

Kill the President! Unify that single line!

In a wurld w/o ledars, who'd start all teh warz?

Andy
09-12-2007, 04:14 PM
It's too easy to poke fun at tragedy.

All About Eve
09-12-2007, 09:13 PM
In a wurld w/o ledars, who'd start all teh warz?The fucking Muslim terrorists:mad:

Endymion
09-12-2007, 09:48 PM
elsewhere:
http://4chanarchive.org/images/39101047/1189486979604.jpg

MyNameIsMud
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/vivalaresisty/neverforget.jpg

Endymion
09-13-2007, 02:42 AM
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/londontowers.jpg

Mota Boy
09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
What answer can there be other than "It depends." I mean, for a while afterwards, there was a time when it was indisputably "too soon". Laughing in the days immediately afterwards would've been laughing not only at the tragedy, but all the people who felt strongly about it and come across as exceedingly juvenile. A friend of mine tried to joke about it the day of the event, and he was only met with silence (especially since people in my school were scrambling to make contact with relatives, and in one case had actually reached one just before...). My friend's own immaturity was highlighted that night when he learned that his dad regularly took one of the flights out of Logan that was hijacked, and the tragedy suddenly became real.

In the days, weeks and even months after 9/11, it was definitely off limits, largely because the tragedy remained so real to so many people, it was impossible to make fun of it without also making fun of them for actually caring about it, and nobody likes to be on the outside, or the implicit target of, a joke. What, you actually care about that?

And yet, after a while, it slowly became funny. Well, back that up.

Even from the first moments, there were funny things surrounding 9/11. Take the first edition of The Onion to come out after the attacks. People wanted it, people were desperate to find some sort of levity in the situation. I still remember the first random internet 9/11 joke I actually laughed at:

http://www.mopo.ca/uploaded_images/cannabis-legal-newyork-739385.jpg

The thing is, the humor I'm guess you're talking about is that special brand of humor that flourishes with the anonymity of the internet - shock humor. As Andy said, it's very easy to take a tragedy and turn it into a joke. But again, it depends on the context. Sometimes, even the worst jokes can make you laugh. But if you're gonna be daring, you'd better fucking be funny, because shock for shock's value just makes you look like a douchebag.

To me, there's a catch-22 of shock humor - the less it's actually designed to offend, the funnier it becomes. No matter how funny it intrinsically is, the more you claim it isn't, the funnier it becomes, and the more you insist it's funny, the less funny it becomes. In my opinion, making a site called "911wasfunny" automatically undermines any humor of it. Once you set out specifically to shock or offend people, and insist that what you're doing is funny, you've destroyed humor in favor of shock value.

Secondly, the more abstract the thing you're making fun of, the more leniency you have. It's easier to make fun of the crying eagle and other symbolism surrounding the day than it is to make fun of the actual images than it is to make fun of the individuals effected. That's why, personally, I almost without exception do not find it funny to make fun of people that air personal tragedies online. It just comes across too much as "Hey, look at how shocking I'm being!" for me to see any humor involved.

By example - the Borat movie. Offensive as hell. And yet, Sasha Baren Cohen's character never set out to offend. Borat offended the hell out of people, but he did it with a genuine, internally-consistent, naivetee. The humor was precisely in the enormous gulf between what his character thought was offensive and what all those around him did. Had Borat known too, the movie would've lost all its punch. The key was the Sasha Baren Cohen could inhabit the character thoroughly enough that it didn't come across as some douchebag running around intentionally pissing people off...

I suppose there's also that offensive humor involves highlighting line between pointing out the gap between how people feel about an issue and how they should feel. If someone prizes, say, a car above a human being, we'd find it rather hilarious to see that car get destroyed, because in a sense it's righting the universe, whereas there's a much smaller gap when it comes to caring about three thousand people dying. You may not know them directly, and in a way it is worth pointing out that we all care immensely more about, say, the three thousand people that died on 9/11 than we do about, say, the tens of thousands that have died in our ensuing occupation of that country, but the gap becomes much, much more tenuous when we talk about actual human beings. Who's to say exactly how much someone should care about another human being? Some cases are ridiculous, like that dude crying for Britney that's sparking up the web, but laughing at someone for losing their father? At that point, you're attempting to enforce a ridiculous idea of manliness to the point where you're just an asshole.

I really should spend more time on that thought from the last paragraph rather than just running stream of conscious scatter-shot splatter of ideas, but it's too late and I've done enough pontificatin' for the moment.

Oh, and lastly - 9/11 jokes become significantly less funny when foreigners make 'em, 'specially ones I don't know.

zacsta
09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
my birthday is on 9/11 :D

DeAtHsTaR
09-13-2007, 10:30 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/rugsntoilets/LOLOLOL.jpg

WebDudette
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I remember the first time I seen that posted on this website. I was like 'wtf i don't get it', thankfully I am not so ignorant now. I laughed.