PDA

View Full Version : Are you related to anyone famous?

Autonomist
09-15-2007, 04:26 AM
In Australia, my uncle's become somewhat well known after starring in this ad and several spin-offs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvlWQyvEI38

When doing a family tree for a school project years ago, I found out I was also an ancestor to Matthew Webb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Webb).

wheelchairman
09-15-2007, 05:30 AM
My mom wrote an unpopular book...twice!

Apparently it's relatively popular in Belgium. Relatively because it's been bought there in higher numbers, but not necessarily high numbers.

JoY
09-15-2007, 06:47 AM
yeah. my grandfather's cousin.. wait.. yes, I think so.. he was a famous writer (at least, here in the Netherlands & I heard they've sometimes heard of him abroad) of children's books. Jaap ter Haar. he wrote Boris & the Saskia & Jeroen series, for anyone who might recognise.

my mother's uncle is a painter in the Provence. he's not famous, although every once a while another book about him & his work comes out. the last one to come out, told the story of his life & had pretty pictures of his paintings. pretty interesting, but I think there's no one who finds it as interesting as he himself finds his own life-story. although, no wait, apparently there was someone who found it so interesting, he wrote it all down & published it. yeah.

nieh
09-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Someone in my family was apparently Secretary of State for one of the presidents (I want to say Abe Lincoln, but I know at least half my family wasn't even in America by that point and I can't remember if the other half was) and another supposedly invented the formula for Dr. Pepper. That's about it.

Andy
09-15-2007, 07:59 AM
I've had a couple of footballing uncles. Also, a great-great Catholic priest uncle who had to leave Ireland in rushed, mysterious circumstances in the late-19th Century. I'm not told why, but I believe an unfortunate Protestant landowner was involved. So, it's either he killed him or fucked his kids - can never be too sure with these Catholics.

calichix
09-15-2007, 08:15 AM
my grandpa was a really successful author way back when (he wrote The Grudge) and my dad was in a pretty successful band in the 60s called Johnny and the Inmates. they played with Santana and whatnot. and he lost his virginity to judy garland's daughter.

Andy
09-15-2007, 08:23 AM
my grandpa was a really successful author way back when (he wrote The Grudge) and my dad ... lost his virginity to judy garland's daughter.

Best claims to fame ever.

nieh
09-15-2007, 08:38 AM
You mean Liza Minelli or her less famous daughter?

calichix
09-15-2007, 09:45 AM
her less famous, lorna. she was the prettier one though.

Tired_Of_You
09-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Hm, not really, some family friends are famous (a singer and a hockey player), but no one's really related to me, besides a Amerindian Chief who is well-known in Quebec is related to my grand-father. My aunt's uncle used to be Quebec's prime minister.

JoY
09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
L.A.ura winst this thread.

Jakebert
09-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I met someone yesterday who is related to Henry Winkler.

HornyPope
09-15-2007, 10:24 AM
. My aunt's uncle used to be Quebec's prime minister.

That's already pretty special though.

My grandma was somehow related to Kaganovic (Lazar Moyeseevich), but no one is really proud of that.

wheelchairman
09-15-2007, 10:27 AM
I read that book "Wolf in the Kremlin" or whatever, by Kahan. Only to find out years later that it's full of stuff that either Kahan or Kaganovich made up. Oh well.

Hey it's better than being related to Beria.

Rag Doll
09-15-2007, 10:51 AM
great grandfather was a disney animator. worked on the donald duck nazi cartoons. snow white. fantasia. created the "howdy doody" show.....yup.

T-6005
09-15-2007, 11:43 AM
My mother's godmother (I'm not sure whether she was her aunt as well) was a singer of some sort.

Otherwise nothing.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
09-15-2007, 12:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brewster_%28Pilgrim%29

That goes way down the chain, though.

JoY
09-15-2007, 12:14 PM
yeah. my grandfather's cousin.. wait.. yes, I think so.. he was a famous writer (at least, here in the Netherlands & I heard they've sometimes heard of him abroad) of children's books. Jaap ter Haar. he wrote Boris & the Saskia & Jeroen series, for anyone who might recognise.

oh wait, here he is! it's in Dutch, though, but at least *I* found it a very interesting read. I had no idea he did that much!

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaap_ter_Haar

killer_queen
09-15-2007, 12:29 PM
My family officially sucks. My father wrote a book about economy with his friend last year but I don't think it's popular since only nerdy economy students and teachers read it.

There had been times that I wished Larry David was my uncle but unfortunately I can only dream about it.

All About Eve
09-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Some of my distant cousins are direct descendants of Thomas Jefferson, and my Grandmother's sister is fairly famous in the south... that's about all I can think of.

0r4ng3
09-15-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm descended from Simon Bolivar. It was mentioned to me once a while back.

Bazza
09-15-2007, 12:40 PM
My grandad is big on family history and he told me once that if you go far back enough one of our distant relatives married pocahontas. Other than that I haven't any famous close relatives.

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2007, 12:43 PM
One of my first girlfriends was related to Andy Richter. Or so she said.

HornyPope
09-15-2007, 12:46 PM
How many first girlfriends did you have?

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2007, 12:51 PM
What I meant is one of the first people I ever started dating. I don't remember exactly if she was my first, second, or third, but I think it was third.

She was an insane liar though, so I don't necessarily believe it.

HornyPope
09-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Ever dated white chix?

JohnnyNemesis
09-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Except for my first, I've only dated white chicks, actually.

JoY
09-15-2007, 12:54 PM
oh em gee! my grandfather was called exactly the same & came from Germany aswell!
I am TOTALLY indirectly famous on these grounds. *rolls eyes*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Ullmann

apparently there's a Fritz-Ullmann-Straße, which is so super mega cool & now I want the street sign desperately to give to my brother, who's called after my grandfather.

Bazza
09-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Ullmann reaction

I'm sure I've come across that in my studies..!

nieh
09-15-2007, 01:00 PM
One of my first girlfriends was related to Andy Richter. Or so she said.

My first girlfriend was cousins with Tom Guiry (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0347509/) who played the lead kid from the Sandlot and has since been in U-571 and Black Hawk Down and other things I've never seen.

JoY
09-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Bazza: oh rly? I tend to have that on people all the time. ;p

bighead384
03-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Stephen Crane, author of the Red Badge of Courage (great book!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Badge_of_Courage

Great Great Great Grandfather, from my mother's side of my family.

Jojan
03-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Famous... no. But my brother has been interviewed on TV a couple of times and in a newspaper. My father has been on radio interviews and in newspapers.

I am not sure, but I think a distant relative on my mothers side was one of the founder of St Andrews golf course in Scotland.

mspunk13
03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
My great great (not sure about the third "great") grandfather from my mother's side of family invented the kerosene lamp. He also built the first oil refinery in the world.
His name was Ignacy Łukasiewicz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignacy_%C5%81ukasiewicz

jacknife737
03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
My maternal grandmother claimed to be a relative of W.B. Yeats, though nobody in the family can confirm it: at some point, i'm going to do some research: i've become fairly interested in my family tree as of late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Butler_Yeats

RobQuinn
03-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Colin Quinn is a distant cousin of mine. And my father was well known in the martial arts community as well as the Philippines.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
My uncle's not exactly famous, but his job title is "The Geographer" of the United States. It actually says "The" on his business card. That's cooler than being famous. Apparently I'm somehow related to King Richard the Lionhearted. And also I have a great-great-great-great grandmother who was a real live Iroquois Indian!!

Alison
03-30-2011, 02:59 AM
I don't think I'm related to anyone famous, but my great grand uncle on my moms side (or something like that) was well known for being an eccentric who was a strict vegetarian, would only wear white linen and would only allow white cattle and white horses on his land.

Everyone on my dad's side just seemed to be in the IRA

Offspring-Junkie
03-30-2011, 03:40 AM
I don't have any famous relatives at all.

wheelchairman
03-30-2011, 03:55 AM
I read that book "Wolf in the Kremlin" or whatever, by Kahan. Only to find out years later that it's full of stuff that either Kahan or Kaganovich made up. Oh well.

I just found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazar_Kaganovich#.22The_Wolf_of_the_Kremlin.22) out recently again. I wonder how I forgot that. But yeah, the book is so obviously fraudulent it has several "facts" that other historians have never corroborated.

Lord Phidias
03-30-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm related to Carmen Campuzano (http://listing-index.ebay.com/actors/Carmen_Campuzano.html), a mexican ex-super-model who fucked her life up because of drugs, tabloids love her, she used to walk nude on the street at night when she was high, she got supposedly kidnapped by some guys in a cab and she jumped off it and broke all her bones, her nose is all fucked up (just like MJ's) because of cocaine, oh yea, she has a sex tape also... she recently lived in my house and ate my cheese because she's my mom's half sister and my mother is a saint... I hate this bitch (my half aunt, not my mother...), I don't know why am I actually sharing this with you, bunch of strangers, this woman makes me object of mocking and jokes amongst my friends, but meh, I never contribute to this bbs...

http://www.google.com.mx/images?um=1&hl=es&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US&rlz=1I7SKPB_en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=carmen+campuzano&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Offspring-Junkie
03-30-2011, 06:43 AM
^ You should be proud of your mom and feel pity for your half-aunt. Although it is your aunts fault, it's not just her fault. She's a victim too. I'm just generalizing, I don't know the full story, but it's always like that.

wheelchairman
03-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah but at some point you're an adult, and as such are responsible for your own actions. Especially when you're a drain on your family.

Offspring-Junkie
03-31-2011, 02:09 AM
I totally agree, I just don't want him to hate his half-aunt.

Lord Phidias
03-31-2011, 05:05 AM
I totally agree, I just don't want him to hate his half-aunt.

Well, I guess I kinda exaggerated a bit, maybe I don't hate hate her, I just get pissed off because she is kind of a burden for my mom and her real brothers and sisters, everyone is sick of her and they tell her to fuck off, except my mom... same story with my junkie not famous uncle... gosh my family is fucked up...

mrconeman
03-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Famous, no, but I've got that beaten. My great grandfather was a soldier in WWII, and earned himself some kind of bravery medal (which my Grandfather still has) for being a part of the Normandy beach landings, and clearing a machine gun bunker with a grenade. Fuckin' A.

Retard
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
by marraige i'm related to a couple of pro athletes in america. nothing too exciting. I don't think either of them play anymore either.

dexter12296566
04-01-2011, 04:55 AM
My cousin was in a somewhat known band, Cocked 'N Loaded. And his brother's girlfriend's father is Richard Stoltzman and she was on Sesame Street with him.