PDA

View Full Version : Obscure but good file sharing sites.

Jakebert
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
So, here's the deal: I want to download music. But the university has blocked all of the better-known p2p sites from being used on it's internet. So what I was wondering is if anyone knows and obscure, spyware free ones that the campus might not know about?

nieh
09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Exactly which ones are 'better-known'? The only one I use anymore is Soulseek, but I'm assuming that ones pretty well-known.

Amiralanal
09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Dc++ ?

Jakebert
09-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Exactly which ones are 'better-known'? The only one I use anymore is Soulseek, but I'm assuming that ones pretty well-known.

Soulseek.
Kazaa
Limewire.

The only one I've ever liked is Soulseek, and sadly, it does not work here.

nieh
09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Dc++ ?

If that means "direct connect" then it's probably the best bet. If I'm not mistaken, it was specifically designed for use on networks like colleges.

Jakebert
09-19-2007, 02:48 PM
I do not know what that is. Could you please explain it to me?

nieh
09-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I've never used it myself so I might be a little off, but as I had it described to me from my friends that actually went to college, it basically connects to everyone else that has direct connect on your network without actually connecting to the internet (although it can do that too). The problem is that you have to hope someone else on your campus has the music you're looking for.

Endymion
09-19-2007, 02:51 PM
WASTE, but that one can be hard to get in to. do they block torrents? if not, http://oink.cd/ is great if you can get an invite (i don't have one).

personally, i'd just figure some way around the block. a proxy or tunnel of some sort. then just use soulseek.

Jakebert
09-19-2007, 02:53 PM
I've never used it myself so I might be a little off, but as I had it described to me from my friends that actually went to college, it basically connects to everyone else that has direct connect on your network without actually connecting to the internet (although it can do that too). The problem is that you have to hope someone else on your campus has the music you're looking for.

Hmm...I'm sure someone will at least have the majority of what I'm looking for. I have a great site that has uploads of obscure stuff, it's just that they don't have mainstream stuff on there so I can't find stuff like Weezer or Nirvana.

WASTE, but that one can be hard to get in to. do they block torrents? if not, http://oink.cd/ is great if you can get an invite (i don't have one).

personally, i'd just figure some way around the block. a proxy or tunnel of some sort. then just use soulseek.

I dunno if they block all torrents or not. I know bittorrent doesn't work, but that could just be because I wasn't using it right. I was doing it wrong, but haven't tried it.

I'd go around the block if I had any knowledge of computers, but I'm horrible with them.

Endymion
09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
set your bittorrent client to use full encryption and a random port and it's fairly likely you'll get through any torrent blocking. i know utorrent will do it for you, but i don't know about other clients.

MyNameIsMud
09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
they don't have mainstream stuff on there so I can't find stuff like Weezer...

What kind of Weezer stuff are you looking for?

Jakebert
09-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Nothing really, I just picked an example at random

Oromis
09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Suggest bittorrent if you can get it working. Azureus is my preferred client for that. (if you get that, dont get the 3.0... its like a whole different style then the old ones) I hear a lot about Java disadvantages from Azureus, but nothing else gives as good speed. (for me at least and im no computer expert)

But bittorrent isnt that useful for checkin out like one or two songs. Its meant for larger file transfers.

MyNameIsMud
09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Nothing really, I just picked an example at random

Will AIM to AIM Transfers work?

MyNameIsMud
09-19-2007, 08:02 PM

How do you get an invite, anyway?

Forgive the double-post.

coke_a_holic
09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
You beg people who have it.

I don't, and I generally don't need it; I can usually find what I'm looking for somewhere, or if not, I know people who can.

If you want to find mainstream stuff, google is the way to go. There was a youtube video about this, which is how I learned about it:

Type
intitle:"index.of" (mp3) name.of.band.or.song.separated.by.periods -html -htm -asp -cf -jsp into google and it'll give you a whole bunch of directories to people who have uploaded music to their website. I get a lot of music off of it, but it's only got mainstream stuff for the most part.

Jakebert
09-19-2007, 08:31 PM
I tried that, but every site I could find was just an endless barrage of things to sign up for.

Amiralanal
09-20-2007, 12:10 AM
DC++ is filesharing in its purest form. It is free and there is no adware och advertisment in it what so ever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC%2B%2B
It is more advanced than the filesharing you are used to, but once you learn it, it is superior.

Endymion
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
It is free and there is no adware och advertisment in it what so ever.

you realize that applies to most clients for any protocol, right?

MrJoe
09-20-2007, 02:55 AM
At my mate's Uni, the only P2P thing he could connect to was Ares, but its shocking, you get naff speeds.

Like others have said, if you can get torrents to work, go for it. I personally find uTorrent the fastest torrent client, not to mention it uses hardly any system resources, unlike Azureus perhaps (which was my previous favourite used client for torrents)

sKratch
09-20-2007, 07:09 AM
The problem with using DC++ is your school's network has to have DC hub set up on it. My campus has one, and we have a pretty good community going with it.

I know that at least for us, almost every port is closed and torrents get throttled like crazy. Encryption on port 8800 (shttp i think) works alright once in a while though. Running proxys or tunneling will severely decrease your download speeds as far as I know.

Bazza
09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
From my first year at uni; we used dc++ and that relied purely on people being good at sharing and downloading new things either at home or by tunneling. I think they use apex dc (an advance on dc) now, but again it relies on a hub and at our uni they attempted to discover who was running the hub/server by monitoring bandwith.

Endymion
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Encryption on port 8800 (shttp i think) works alright once in a while though. Running proxys or tunneling will severely decrease your download speeds as far as I know.

i think you mean 8080, which is http/alt. https is 443. and yeah, proxies will totally fuck over your speed, but something is generally better than nothing.

sKratch
09-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Yes I did mean 8080.
</public service announcement>

Killboy
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Emule works pretty good for me. Have you tried it yet??

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 09:05 AM
how bout just buying music legally? it seems like no one does that anymore, hwo do bands make money?

Endymion
09-23-2007, 11:08 AM
how bout just buying music legally? it seems like no one does that anymore, hwo do bands make money?

generally, from people going to their shows. and the reason people go to their shows is from people enjoying their music. and the way for small bands to get people to hear their music is almost entirely word of mouth + free availability. oh, and being total whore assfucks on myspace.

JohnnyNemesis
09-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Any good suggestions for programs/sites I can use on a campus network with my iBook? I'm on OS X 10.4.10

Jakebert
09-23-2007, 12:40 PM

I would love to buy music, but the problem is that right now I'm a college student who happens to be unemployed. So my money is saved for things that are absolutely essential, like food and alcohol.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 01:51 PM
you could always try http://www.albumbase.com/ its off the internet, its free but you have to register first, which is also free. try it out.

mrconeman
09-23-2007, 02:03 PM

I still buy music when I happen to have the spare cash, or when it's a particular band/artist. When I end up in some kind of stable life situation I actually plan on buying all the stuff I have downloaded. Well, what's available to buy anyway.

Offspringfan67
09-23-2007, 02:52 PM
i can respect your honesty, but i cant imagine buying all the stuff i previoulsy downloaded, having twice of every song on my computer, i dont know it would kinda feel like a waste to me

but know that i know downloading doesnt really hurt a band, i may give downloading a shot

Jakebert
09-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Okay, so I've been told that Morpheus works here. But I've heard it's one of the ones with Spyware and things that fuck your computer up. The site says that it doesn't, but I don't trust it.

Anyone know if it does or not?

DexterWannabe
09-25-2007, 01:10 PM
www.tankafett.com
www.demonoid.com
www.piratebay.org
www.divxstation.com
www.omglol.tk

ruroken
09-25-2007, 01:13 PM
utorrent > bittorrent

isohunt ftw

JohnnyNemesis
09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Azureus winz.

ps. Jakebert, are you on Mac OS X? I just started using Acqlite and I love it.

Endymion
09-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Okay, so I've been told that Morpheus works here. But I've heard it's one of the ones with Spyware and things that fuck your computer up. The site says that it doesn't, but I don't trust it.

Anyone know if it does or not?

technically no, but it still blows. why don't you try http://www.shareaza.com/ which connects to the same protocols/servers (plus ed2k and bittorrent), but is open source and more customizable.

Jakebert
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
All right, I've give it a shot. Thanks.

Jakebert
09-25-2007, 05:45 PM
DOUBLEPOST!

"Shareaza was unable to set up port forwarding on your NAT router or firewall.

Please configure your network to forward TCP and UDP ports 6346 to your local PC"

Yeah, dunno what this means. Someone who's smarter than me explain.