PDA

View Full Version : Albums everyone hates, but you love.

Jakebert
09-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Yesterday, I downloaded Sonic Youth's "NYC Ghosts and Flowers", an album that is fairly hated by critics and gets a somewhat lukewarm reaction from the fanbase. I was nervouse about it, but listening to it, I really like it and think it could potentially be one of their best albums.

Has anyone ever been in that situation? PLZ TELL.

BREAK
09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Fables of the Reconstruction is my first choice, but it seems that around here people actually like that one...apparently it's right up there with New Adventures in Hi-fi (?) So whatever.

The Jesus Lizard's Shot.

Jakebert
09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, Fables is pretty well-liked by most of the R.E.M. fans I know.

BREAK
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
The band themselves said they hate it.

ruroken
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Island of Lost Minds by Buckethead

Stranger With Candy
09-27-2007, 10:39 AM
One by One by Foo Fighters. I dont realy know why its so hated. The only song i dont like on it are Tired of You.

JohnnyNemesis
09-27-2007, 11:04 AM
The two examples that immediately come to mind follow:

Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame. The band says it's easily their worst album, and all their fans agree, but it's one of my favorites from them.

The other one is U2 - Pop, but I've been ranting for ten years about how unjustly the album has been received, so I'm too tired to go through that again in this thread.

Jakebert
09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
The band themselves said they hate it.

Actually, Stipe really likes it. The rest of the band don't, though.

All About Eve
09-27-2007, 02:23 PM
R.E.M. - "Around the Sun" for me. I love it, but I've never really found another person that rates it above "having a few good songs".

Also, I guess with Sonata Arctica my favorite album ("Reckoning Night") isn't generally a favorite, but I wouldn't say that a lot of fans DON'T like it.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I like Fables quite a lot as well. I knew that the album reflected a period of general misery for the band, but I never knew they hated it.

Actually one of the first albums that comes to mind for me is Conspiracy of One. Although Ixnay is the only Offspring album that I can put on and truly think "OK, this shit is actually really GOOD. I wasn't so dumb as a 15-year old," Conspiracy is listenable even now. It's about as solid a pop-punk album as I could really hope to find.

Also, Reveal is slowly becoming one of my favorite R.E.M. albums. I think it creates a more powerful mood than any other R.E.M. album since the previously mentioned Fables, but in addition to that you've got some really well-crafted songs. I've always thought "Saturn Return" was a masterpiece and "Imitation of Life" was a delightful pop song, but I'm even beginning to love songs I didn't like at first like "Disappear" and "Beachball." I love this album. People should give it another chance.

All About Eve
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I still listen to the occasional Co1 song and I like Reveal quite fine, it's just not way up on my list.

JohnnyNemesis
09-27-2007, 03:26 PM
IActually one of the first albums that comes to mind for me is Conspiracy of One.

Both this and Splinter make my list.

See, with every Offspring album that comes out since I've become a fan, I go through a brief period (anywhere from 12-72 hours) where I'm convined that it's the greatest album ever recorded. It's silly, I know, but it happens. The only time that "Offspring effect" hasn't occured was when Americana came out in '98, but I felt it with Ixnay on the Hombre, Conspiracy of One, AND Splinter...and with Conspiracy of One, that effect lasted even longer!

0r4ng3
09-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Americana doesn't seem to get enough credit here. It does have Staring at The Sun, you know!

Other than that and maybe 2 other songs, yeah, it's not that great.

I can't think of albums that really fit the thread topic. I guess Green Day's Insomniac. Kind of. I don't know if people dislike it or not, but it's generally ignored by fans. And it's my favorite Green Day album.

Jakebert
09-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Insomniac was probably the most popular album among the people at the old Green Day board, but I dunno how it's viewed now.

0r4ng3
09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
See that's the thing, I don't know what Green Day fans think of it. But when people talk about Green Day, Insomniac is usually the least mentioned of the albums. I think.

WebDudette
09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Afi - Art of Drowning lolololol.

I really can't think of any, I guess I generally like the popular albums.

Jakebert
09-27-2007, 04:48 PM
See that's the thing, I don't know what Green Day fans think of it. But when people talk about Green Day, Insomniac is usually the least mentioned of the albums. I think.

For casual fans, it's easily the least mentioned. But I remember before American Idiot came out, the entire Green Day board was saying that they wanted it to sound like Insomniac.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Most people I know like Art of Drowning.

Llamas
09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I think that Make Believe by Weezer is terribly underrated and overly ridiculed. I also feel that way about Maladroit.

Collective Soul's Disciplined Breakdown, also.

Static X's "Shadow Zone" got the lowest ratings of all their albums... all the fans dislike that album, but I sometimes think it's my favorite of theirs.

In general, though, I just like a lot of artists that nobody else likes.

Autonomist
09-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I've always thought One Hot Minute > Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

jacknife737
09-27-2007, 08:12 PM
The last Unwritten Law cd - Here's To The Mourning, granted its not groundbreaking, and i'm only a casual Unwritten Law fan, but it seemed to get an unnecessary amount of hate, itís a better then average pop-punk disk.

IAmARevenant
09-27-2007, 08:26 PM
too much to list.

All About Eve
09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Most people I know like Art of Drowning.
I think the "lololololol" indicated sarcasm.

coke_a_holic
09-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Against Me! - Everything but Reinventing Axl Rose, which is still punx enough for their other fans

Total selloutz.

Also, Bomb The Music Industry! - Goodbye Cool World

ruroken
09-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame. The band says it's easily their worst album, and all their fans agree, but it's one of my favorites from them.

I was going to mention it... but I disagree. Everyone I know that listens to Depeche Mode LOVES A Broken Frame. It also happens to be what Pleasurecraft uses as inspiration/reference and they're almost always said to be much like Depeche Mode. So its more like a love-or-hate kinda of thing. I haven't heard anyone say its only 'okay' yet. I also fail to see how someone could be a Depeche Mode fan and not like it. It seems the most like what Depeche Mode is (to me).

Mannen som blev en gris
09-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Easy: The X Factor and Virtual XI, both by Iron Maiden. Really good albums.