PDA

View Full Version : Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

XYlophonetreeZ
09-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm really surprised this thread hasn't been made yet. Have people heard it yet? What do you think?

Personally, I think that for the most part the songs are better-crafted than on either of the previous two albums (except for some of the acoustic disc of IYH), but I realized something when I listened to it: the Foo Fighters have completely stopped writing fun songs. This album has some nice songs, but not a single one is any fun. This is troubling especially considering I saw them live back in the year 2000 after TINLTL came out, and was really impressed by Dave's, and the rest of the band's, sense of just having fun up there on stage.

Best songs? "Let it Die" is great up to a point. But dude. Dave. Never ever ever scream like you do at the end of that song ever again, kthxbye.

I really liked "Statues." "Summer's End" was good. "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" is an interesting instrumental departure.

That's my impression after 2 listens through.

Jakebert
09-28-2007, 03:18 PM
The only song that stands out to me at all is "Summer's End". Everything else seems very bland and forgettable. One song reminds me of a very mainstreamized version of Bossanova-era Pixies, but that's not a good thing.

I was pretty disappointed with it overall. The acoustic half of the last album gave me hope that they were capable of putting something good out. But I think with this one they were trying to re-do "The Colour and the Shape" by putting out another big, anthem style record.

Even the acoustic stuff seems really weak. It's just not a good record.

All About Eve
10-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm bumping this. I agree with Xylo on the fun point; "Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace" goes with a completely different mood than, say, "The Shape and the Color" does. But I really like the cd; definitely better than their last one.

"The Pretender" and "Let it Die" are my favorites on the album, but I also really like "Stranger Things Have Happened" and "Summer's End". This is definitely one of those CDs that grows on you over time, because individually that's what the songs did for me as well.

Edit: forgot "Statues". I don't always get to it because it's near the end, but it's pretty good.

Marco
10-21-2007, 03:03 AM
I don't like "The Pretender", I find it boring, I expected a better single.
"Stranger Things Have Happened", "Let It Die", "Statues" and "Long Road to Ruin" are beautiful, helped from the fact that they finally decided to stop using only power chords :rolleyes:
Overall, a good album.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-21-2007, 03:23 AM
I liked The Pretender. I thought on the whole it was a much, much stronger lead single than "Best of You." I've never understood why everyone seems to love that song so much.

I'm extremely disappointed that "Long Road to Ruin" is going to be the next single. It's boring. I think "Summer's End" is such an obvious choice.

I'm now thinking the album is decent except for tracks 3-6. "Let it Die" is awesome except for that horrible, horrible, fucking HORRIBLE scream at the end, and the latter half of the album is all pretty good.

Mushroom
10-21-2007, 06:38 AM
I wrote a review of this for my blog:

Foo Fighters- Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

First things first, I'll answer the questions all Foo Fighters fan will automatically ask about this album. Is it better than "The Colour And The Shape"? Is it as good as "The Colour And The Shape"?

For those who don't know, "The Colour And The Shape" is widely regarded as the best Foo Fighters album and, unfortunately, the answer to both of these questions is no. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good album. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace builds on what was started in the Foo Fighters' double disc album "In Your Honour", condenses it, and in some ways improves it. That album had one disc of full on Rock power, contrasting completely with another of Acoustic contemplation.

“Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace” takes that formula and squeezes it down onto one disk. What this doesn't mean is that you get mismatch of the two styles, in fact, in some ways it's pleasing to hear songs go back to the classic Foo Fighters formula of "Soft Verse, Loud Chorus", but with a new folksy, acoustic twist on the soft verses. Let me explain by going through the songs individually:

The album opens with the first single of the album, The Pretender. This is pure Foo Fighters. A soft guitar riff plays under Dave Grohl's hypnotising vocals, before building to a stomp along intro to the rest of the song. The chords drive through like a sledgehammer, and then they dive into a stadium rock chorus that deserves a screaming crowd singing along. This is the Foo Fighters doing what they do best, and is a perfect opening to suck you into “Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace”.

Following this is Let It Die. This starts of like something from the acoustic disk of "In You Honour". It starts with just an acoustic guitar and Dave's vocals, but it slowly builds towards something greater. Half way through the song, everything changes. An electric Guitar stomps through, changing the mood of the song completely. After the powerful bridge, the song starts to flipflop between it's acoustic opening and it's pounding middle, then the two styles merge into a powerful, melodic ending. This is one of the best songs on the album.

Next comes Erase/Replace. This is a full on, driving, scream your lungs out Foo Fighters song. Unfortunately, it's not much of a singalong. It's powerful and energetic, but it's not very memorable.The main part of the chorus is the repetition of the title, and I can't imagine myself singing Erase/Replace along with the band.

The song most likely to be the second single from the album is Long Road To Ruin, if only because it's mentioned with The Pretender on the sticker on the album's box. In complete contrast with the previous song, even the verses of this song are really singable. It also carries the first guitar solo of the album, and like many other songs, this deserves to be played live.

Come Alive is a song that wouldn't seem out of place at all on the second disc "In Your Honour". This is one of the pure acoustic songs of the album, well half of it anyway. Like all good Foo Fighters songs it builds to a powerful climax, and the second half uses electric guitar to make this build all the more powerful. By the end, the song blows the listener away like a freight train.

Stranger Things Have Happened starts with the sound of a Metronome being wound, and then it ticks away throughout the song. The song seems to have been recorded recorded live with just Dave Grohl, an acoustic guitar, and the ticking metronome. It's a simple song, but this simplicity is its biggest asset. It has that raw, live energy that can only come from, well, a live recording. The odd thing is, it isn't hard to imagine this being transposed over to a storming stadium rock song, and belted out to a screaming audience.

The next song, Cheer Up Boys (Your Makeup Is Running), is a formulaic Foo Fighters song. What I mean is this song is probably the closest to the "Soft Verse, Loud Chorus" idea that Dave Grohl has known since his days in Nirvana. It's nothing special, but it does what it sets out to do well.

A bluesy riff kicks off Summer's End, which then goes onto a very melodic verse and chorus. I could imagine this as another single, but it is nowhere near as likely as Long Road to ruin. This song also has the second guitar solo of the album, and a singable chorus. It's a great example of the style of "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace" as a whole.

A muffled count in opens Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners, an folsky instrumental piece. It's a fun song, and it's great to hear the Foo Fighters doing something different. It has echoes of the famous "Dueling Banjos", and the squeak of the guitars lets you know this is another song that was recorded as a whole, live in the studio.

Statues is a beautiful song. It's simple, but features a wide range of instruments from a squealing electric guitar to an accordion. The lyrics are also rather simple, and this seems like a "lighters in the air" sort of song to sway to and sing along with.

But, Honestly is a lot like Come Alive and Let It Die, in the the way that it starts of mainly with acoustic guitar, and then builds to a driving electric climax. The first half of the song isn't actually that interesting, but when it gets to the middle, and begins to build, it improves very quickly. It starts to sound epic, and you get that "hell yeah, this is gonna be good" feeling as it builds. Yet another song that need to be played live to be at its best.

The final song of "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace", Home, bothers me a little, but I'll get to that later. It's a soft, emotional song that features Piano heavily. The thing that bothers me is the chorus. When it starts, I can't help but have the feeling that I've heard it before. Not that they've ripped off another band, I jut feel that they've ripped off themselves. I still can't work out what song it reminds me of, but there's a definite link to a previous Foo Fighters album in the chorus. Other than that, the song is a good, chilled ending to the album.

There is also a bonus track called Once & For All [Demo]. This sounds like a classic Foo Fighters song, like something off, yes, "The Colour And The Shape". I'd like to hear more of this, maybe it will end up as a B-side to one of the singles.

In conclusion, this album needs to be played to a stadium full of screaming fans in order for it to be at it's best. A few songs wouldn't fit in to that format, but I'd love to see them try.

All About Eve
10-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm extremely disappointed that "Long Road to Ruin" is going to be the next single. It's boring. I think "Summer's End" is such an obvious choice.

Ugh, it is? I would have thought "Summer's End" as well, or MAYBE "Let it Die". But not "Long Road to Ruin."

Yatesy
10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
It isn't their best album as their first album is and always will be but it's definitely my 2nd favourite. Best song off the album is probably Come Alive or Erase/Replace. I thought Long Road To Ruin isn't a bad song but not the best though.

All About Eve
12-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm listening to "The Color and the Shape", and I don't know why, but "Hey, Johnny Park!" and "Stranger Things Have Happened" both remind me strongly of each other, though I can't say why. Anyone else sort of see a resemblance?