PDA

View Full Version : A vinyl thread

BREAK
10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
This is for the pplz who listen to records. How much should a good turntable cost? Should I buy one of those fancy new ones, or an older vintage model? Who actually listens to records round here? What are some good places (online and off) to buy some?

BREAK
10-04-2007, 09:33 AM
You mean to tell me that no one here spins the black circle?

Endymion
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
i have a few. mostly stuff that just wasn't on cd so i bought the vinyl and then used my grandfather's turntable to rip to mp3.

BREAK
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
You can rip it to mp3? Explain how.

Little_Miss_1565
10-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I still have a boner for vinyl.

nieh
10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
I think I only own two albums on vinyl, and they're for collection purposes more than listening since I don't have a record player. I have Man Man's Six Demon Bag and Horse the Band's Pizza EP with the pizza box. I also have both on CD for when I want to actually listen to them. My brother and I kind of inherited a bunch of records from my dad when he moved into the nursing home, but they're all at my brother's place and I think he's planning on selling most on ebay.

Endymion
10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
You can rip it to mp3? Explain how.

send the audio out from the turntable to the audio in on your computer, record, convert to mp3.

H1T_That
10-04-2007, 02:35 PM
The only records i have are for collection purposes. Sorry.

Bazza
10-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Old turntables really shouldn't be too difficult to come across, most people will throw them out or sell at car boot sales. I don't think many companies manufacture them anymore though. Your best bet is to ask a lot of old people, they might have an old stack style stereo system with the turntable on the top.

As for vinyls? I have a couple, but like most people they are for collection purposes only.

Lars
10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
I've heard good stuff about Project turntables, never used one myself. I picked up an old Bang and Olufsen which sounds alright, except there's really no way I'm going to get a new cartridge for it, they cost way too much, a new turntable will be cheaper.

If you want easy ripping, numark make a turntable with a usb port, and I've just looked up and found out so do Project.

BREAK
10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I am a happy, happy boy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/J_Rock/turntab.jpg

$25 and it bumps. Choke on that, causality.
Does anyone know if playing your records at the wrong speed will damage them? I've heard nothing about this, but I do find it hilarious.