PDA

View Full Version : Offspring vs. AFI...

MOTO13
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Which band do you CURRENTLY like better? I know this is a loaded question here on the Offspring site, but AFI has put out some incredible albums in the past 5 years. I find myself listening to AFI far more than the Offspring. Something 5 years ago I would never have believed. Just looking for opinions.

Jojan
10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
The Offspring.

Close thread now, please!

ruroken
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
A Fire Inside ftw

MOTO13
10-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Sorry Mods. If you can switch this over the the Other Bands section, that would be great.

Enix Belmont
10-08-2007, 11:29 AM
AFI is one of my favorite bands, probably in my top 3, but offspring is MUCH better. AFI is still amazing, though, but half of december underground was absolutely terrible.

Blackball_
10-08-2007, 02:21 PM
afi released 5 good, though differant, albums. the last two have been utter utter wank.

WTF happened to them? really?

they are still awesome live, even newer songs which are unlistenable on cd have some sort of energy and epicness live, but still... wtf :(

DeAtHsTaR
10-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Black Sails in the Sunset, The Art of Drowning, and Sing the Sorrow form the holy trinity of AFI albums. The first three were good, but only in a "Generic hardcore punk" way, and Decemberunderground sucked ass for the most part.

nameless
10-08-2007, 02:58 PM
i prefer the offspring! decemberunderground wasnt that good, i dont blame the label change as sing the sorrow was really good, i just dont like the new direction they seem to be heading in!

0r4ng3
10-08-2007, 03:24 PM
afi released 5 good, though differant, albums. the last two have been utter utter wank.
Woah, what? Sing the Sorrow is their best. Being on a major label shouldn't change that.

Blackball_
10-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Woah, what? Sing the Sorrow is their best. Being on a major label shouldn't change that.sing the sorrow is good after youve listened to decemberunderground, but compared to art of drowning, etc.. it is utterly turd.

okay, the first two, are good for what they are. not the best example of whatever genre, but they were good 10 years ago and theyre still good now. shut your mouth.. was differant, but good. black sails in..art of drowning..and the EPs released around those albums were all perfect... when sing the sorrow came out, it was as if it was a differant band.

being on a major label has nothing to do with me not liking those albums. the offspring are on a major and obviously i like them. social distortions best albums, for me, were all when they were on epic.

WebDudette
10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Afi are far better than The Offspring.

JohnnyNemesis
10-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Black Sails in the Sunset, The Art of Drowning, and Sing the Sorrow form the holy trinity of AFI albums. The first three were good, but only in a "Generic hardcore punk" way, and Decemberunderground sucked ass for the most part.

I completely agree with everything in this post, except I don't think of SYMAOYE as generic, just hardcore.

Llamas
10-08-2007, 04:45 PM

I fully agree with this post.

I'd say that I like the Offspring more, but both bands have their own strong points. I think the Offspring is often lyrically superior, and I enjoy their "punk" numbers more than AFI's. However, I think AFI has better song writing skills and more musical creativity. I disliked Decemberunderground, but it was more creative than anything the Offspring has ever released.

Davey is a better singer than Dexter, also. However, I like Dexter's voice more. I also like that the Offspring is more fun. AFI is serious allllll the time... the Offspring can make me smile once in a while.

Endymion
10-08-2007, 05:58 PM
this is simultaneously the best and worst thread ever.

WebDudette
10-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Afi have some incredibly fun songs:

I Wanna Get a Mowhawk (But Mom Won't Let Me Get One)
Key Lime Pie
Mini-Trucks Suck
High School Football Hero
This Secret Ninja

To name a few.

0r4ng3
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
That 30-second one is a fun one too, if you don't take it seriously.

Llamas
10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Afi have some incredibly fun songs:

I Wanna Get a Mowhawk (But Mom Won't Let Me Get One)
Key Lime Pie
Mini-Trucks Suck
High School Football Hero
This Secret Ninja

To name a few.

Yeah... the only ones of those that make me smile are I wanna get a mohawk and highschool football hero... but I guess what I should've said is that the offspring is more consistently light/funny. The only albums with nothing light on them were the first two. Hmm, kinda the opposite with AFI.

All About Eve
10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Now that that's all taken care of...

Offspring vs. AFI... with LIGHT SABERS OVER A PIT OF LAVA!

Little_Miss_1565
10-08-2007, 08:48 PM
The question is, who has better misheard lyrics? Clearly YouTube is more epicly bent in the AFI direction, but let's let amiright decide:

AFI: http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/afi.shtml

Offspring: http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/offspring.shtml

As for me, well...a vagina song they sang! Let's be honest, AFI wins for the misheard lyrics to "Girl's Not Grey" alone.

EDIT: Why are all the AFI mondegreens about p33n? Mondep33ns?

Llamas
10-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I think that the real question is actually which band has the better slash.

Little_Miss_1565
10-08-2007, 08:58 PM
I think that the real question is actually which band has the better slash.

Javey is clearly the superior pairing because they can be not only 18th century Parisian vampires but also 15 year old skater kids. Versatility, dude, come on.

Also when I google "Offspring slash" all i get is shit about the Offspring and Guns 'N Roses or Slash's Snakepit.

GOD DAMN IT, I'm faced, it's no fair.

WebDudette
10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Afi have far better slash. Versatility like 1565 mentioned. But also because Davey & Friends are far sexier then Dexter & man boobs.

ThunderPX
10-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Well, Davey is ugly, has a stupid haircut and sounds like Elmo, but apart from that I think AFI are really good.

I still like The Offspring better though.

MOTO13
10-09-2007, 09:14 AM
The Ofspring have very simplistic songs for the most part. This is their montra and they are awsome at it. AFI lyrically is much deeper and to me more polished. Jade is a superior guitar player compared to Noodles. But Noodles style and riffs are awsome. Jade seems to have the ability to change tempos better than Noodles. Maybe that is more the style of music rather than ability. AFI IMO has not put out a weak album to date. That being said, the next Offspring album looks to be a great one.

rlplaymaker
10-09-2007, 10:14 AM
i prefer the offspring! decemberunderground wasnt that good, i dont blame the label change as sing the sorrow was really good, i just dont like the new direction they seem to be heading in!

December Underground was freakin' terrible. They used to be alright.

ruroken
10-10-2007, 08:40 AM
sing the sorrow is good after youve listened to decemberunderground, but compared to art of drowning, etc.. it is utterly turd.

Um... what? Sing the Sorrow's quality far surpasses Art of Drowning. Art of Drowning is like... a less punk Ignition. Sing the Sorrow has more energy, complexity, and is unlike anything else a punk band has ever done. Fucking techno midway through Death of Seasons, yo. Crazy shit. There's far more creativity in Sing the Sorrow.

I completely agree with everything in this post, except I don't think of SYMAOYE as generic, just hardcore.
Hardcore suck.

Marco
10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
THE OFFSPRING!
I'm not really into AFI...

bouncingcoles
10-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I dont listen to AFI as much as i did many years ago. offspring will always be better in my opinion. december underground sucks.

IAmARevenant
10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Offspring, but AFI is still one of my favorite bands.

Which brings me to the fact that I'm probably the only person here that really liked decemberunderground. Seriously, it's extremely underrated, and doesn't deserve alot of the hate it got. It's really a great album if you give it a chance.

WebDudette
10-10-2007, 08:45 PM
I think there are actually several people here who like DU. I myself like it, not as much as any of the others except maybe Answer That.

IAmARevenant
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I remember there were a few here back when it came out, but those soon went away and were replaced with those who bash it.

I don't care anymore, really. It's still my favorite AFI album, no matter how many people hate it.
(and yes, I have every recording they've made)

Llamas
10-10-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't hate the album, but I also don't like it. There are a few songs on it that I enjoy, but I don't enjoy the album as a whole. I like the three albums before it much better.

0r4ng3
10-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I happen to like Decemberunderground. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for it, but I feel that I can listen to it the whole way through.

German Andres
10-11-2007, 08:02 AM
No question, I can`t compare The Offspring with AFI. I just really love The Offspring, and in spite of the fact that I enjoy a few AFI songs (by a few, I mean 2 or 3), I don`t really like the band. I hate Havok in fact. So, I pick The Offspring

Jakebert
10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Davey Havock was born in bd007h's house.

and girls ~gno it!

Little_Miss_1565
10-11-2007, 08:28 AM
People like to bash AFI because Davey is fabulous. But that's why I've continued to love them. As I have embraced the drag queen inside me, so has Davey. I can't outgrow AFI because they keep growing with me.

Decemberunderground was a great record. But it was not a punk record, and that's what a lot of people who bash them wanted it to be. Let go of expectations and appreciate it for what it is!

But that's not to say I like AFI better. I'm just more entertained by AFI because I <3 drag queens for serious.

Jakebert
10-11-2007, 08:32 AM
People like to bash AFI because Davey is fabulous. But that's why I've continued to love them. As I have embraced the drag queen inside me, so has Davey. I can't outgrow AFI because they keep growing with me.

I can't understand this. I thought drag queens are gay. So why are they inside you?

Little_Miss_1565
10-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I can't understand this. I thought drag queens are gay. So why are they inside you?

Not in my vagina. In here ---> <3

0r4ng3
10-11-2007, 09:10 AM
In the butt?

Jakebert
10-11-2007, 09:13 AM
That's much worse.

Little_Miss_1565
10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Neither in my vagina nor in my butt! In my glitter-adorned heart.

IAmARevenant
10-11-2007, 07:48 PM

Decemberunderground was a great record. But it was not a punk record, and that's what a lot of people who bash them wanted it to be. Let go of expectations and appreciate it for what it is!

But that's not to say I like AFI better. I'm just more entertained by AFI because I <3 drag queens for serious.
I actually respect men that get in touch with their feminine side and don't try to just act all manly all the time.
And if you like the fabulous Davey Havok, you should check out these Blaqk Audio videos
http://youtube.com/user/locustfurnace
he's like a metrosexual Glenn Danzig (with a shirt on)

Little_Miss_1565
10-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I actually respect men that get in touch with their feminine side and don't try to just act all manly all the time.
And if you like the fabulous Davey Havok, you should check out these Blaqk Audio videos
http://youtube.com/user/locustfurnace
he's like a metrosexual Glenn Danzig (with a shirt on)

I don't need YouTube videos, I saw that shit LIIIIIVE!

WebDudette
10-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Interviewer: You must have a big package if she could feel it.
Davey: You assume it was a girl.

For some reason I felt the need to post this.

Little_Miss_1565
10-12-2007, 06:02 AM
LOL, need to see the original interview. NOW.

Kitten
10-12-2007, 07:43 AM
The Ofspring have very simplistic songs for the most part. This is their montra and they are awsome at it. AFI lyrically is much deeper and to me more polished. Jade is a superior guitar player compared to Noodles. But Noodles style and riffs are awsome. Jade seems to have the ability to change tempos better than Noodles. Maybe that is more the style of music rather than ability. AFI IMO has not put out a weak album to date. That being said, the next Offspring album looks to be a great one.

Can't really say what the next Offspring album will be like. As for the AFI vs The Offspring debate, I would have to go with The Offspring. AFI doesn't do it for me.
Honestly, at this point more into A Wilhelm Scream than either.
Mind you, I do like AFI's despair faction.

Smash punker
02-18-2008, 05:26 AM
AFI sucks, The Offspring rocks:D

WebDudette
02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
I'd like to point out that I have a super gay/fabulous picture of Davey Havok on my school binder. He has light green nail polish and his knuckles say 'Ciao Baby'. One of my best friends has another picture from the same article, I think we might be gay.

Oh, and 1565 if you still want that interview, http://youtube.com/watch?v=k64Z2qQZsKA.
Haha, a little late, but the whole thing is funny.

Superdope
02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh, and 1565 if you still want that interview, http://youtube.com/watch?v=k64Z2qQZsKA.
Haha, a little late, but the whole thing is funny.

I never heard of Nardwuar before, but some of the interviews are actually really funny. especially the AFI and GWAR ones.

leo3375
02-18-2008, 12:43 PM
AFI and the Offspring really can't be compared. Yes, the Offspring helped AFI get to where they are now, but they're very different bands altogether.

As for the fanfiction issue, the homoerotic stuff is really creepy. It was extremely rampant in the AFI circles a few years ago. I've never, ever seen homoerotic Offspring fanfiction (Thank God). AFI has been known to attract some real freaks in years past. And I'm sure they still get the letters written in blood and annoying-ass questions about Davey's… uhh… preferences.

By the way, I find the AFI guys to be absolutely adorable, personality-wise. They're very funny and can take the criticisms very well. And I especially find Davey's handling of the "lifestyle" issue to be very amusing.

Short_Attention_Span
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
As for the fanfiction issue, the homoerotic stuff is really creepy. It was extremely rampant in the AFI circles a few years ago. I've never, ever seen homoerotic Offspring fanfiction (Thank God).

You should be so lucky... I've stumbled across it. *shudders* :eek:
________
Cl450 (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CL450)

Dead Kennedy
02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
offspring
afi sucks,and it sucked even before decemberundergrond and that
only my opinion
i don't want to be beaten

Cock Joke
02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Offspring 18430290234845 times better than AFI. But AFI's still good.

Llamas
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
AFI and the Offspring really can't be compared. Yes, the Offspring helped AFI get to where they are now, but they're very different bands altogether.

I hate it when people say certain bands/musicians/artists can't be compared. Of course they can be! No, they're not really similar types of music, but why can't they be compared? I compare classical music to jazz all the time... or rap to punk. I think music can be and should be compared.

And I was gonna give my opinion, but I see I've previously given it in this thread.

nameless
02-19-2008, 03:10 PM
afi have really gone downhill in my opinion with their last album. they lost the raw sound they had going for them!

JohnnyNemesis
02-19-2008, 03:20 PM
If they lost their "raw sound", I think it happened well before Decemberunderground.

Vera
02-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Right now? I can honestly say The Offspring, though in general AFI is a more 'current' favourite than The Offspring. But I really want this new album, whereas I'm not too psyched about whatever AFI's coming up with next. DU was not really my thing.

Smash punker
02-20-2008, 04:51 AM
I hate it when people say certain bands/musicians/artists can't be compared. Of course they can be! No, they're not really similar types of music, but why can't they be compared? I compare classical music to jazz all the time... or rap to punk. I think music can be and should be compared.

And I was gonna give my opinion, but I see I've previously given it in this thread.

You should compare only bands that play the similiar style of music!
You just canīt go and say that Offspring are better than Britney or Christina:D
Because you just donīt listen to them. I love Offspring and donīt like those chicks, but I canīt just say they suck, because I donīt listen to this genre. Offspring rulez!:D

holland25
02-20-2008, 05:13 AM

Errm, why not? Give me one good reason.

Smash punker
02-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Errm, why not? Give me one good reason.

Of course theyīre bitches.:D But didnīt want to insult fans of Britney and Christina:D Offspring rocks

Alex101
02-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Nah. Fuck AFI.
The Offspring is the best!

Llamas
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
You should compare only bands that play the similiar style of music!
Because you just donīt listen to them. I love Offspring and donīt like those chicks, but I canīt just say they suck, because I donīt listen to this genre. Offspring rulez!:D

That's just stupid. You can compare things to things you don't like. Why couldn't you? Plus, I find some Britney songs catchy, and think Christina has a good voice. I think Christina has more singing talent than Dexter and Davey combined, but I like both bands more than I like her.

JohnnyNemesis
02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Well, he's being ridiculous. But I think comparing things you like to things you don't like often ultimately proves fruitless because there's obvious and inherent bias. But beyond that, I think it's more about knowing what you're talking about. You're more likely to know more about something you like and not delve into the deeper qualities (or subtleties or what have you) of something you don't like, and as a result, you prolly wouldn't know as much or enough about them to compare.

But yeah.

I think comparing across genres is fine, but there comes a point where you're talking about two completely different worlds where it really doesn't make sense or accomplishes anything when you make comparisons.

iPunk247
02-21-2008, 12:49 AM
THE 0FFSPRING.

Vera
02-21-2008, 01:32 AM
With music the comparisons quite often just don't add up to anything but arguments about how different the other group is, so you can't compare, or how special their music is or whatever from people who really like them. I remember reading a review for a band I loved and the author compared them to Coldplay and proceeded to fap about how aweeeesoooomeeee Coldplay is and how wannabe-Coldplay the band they were reviewing was. I wanted to kill something after reading, because not only do I not get any kind of Coldplay-association from the band (they're maybe vaguely the same genre & British), COLDPLAY FUCKING BLOWS.

The good comparisons would be between the band's own discography and maaaaybe - as a clarifying comparison - between groups that have common members (like to establish Audioslave doesn't sound like Rage, or how it sounds like Rage, or whatever).

With movies comparisons are much more useful, I find.

iPunk247
03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
THE 0FFSPRING.

God. you shall have my virginal sex.

IAmARevenant
03-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I gotta choose The Offspring, but by a slim margin. They are truly 2 of my all time favorite bands.

clocks_R_slow
03-29-2008, 10:59 AM
FTW! how dare you!? AFI is wonderful.. DecUn blew chuncks everywhere but still a great band..... BUT THE OFFSPRING FOREVER AND EVER AND JUST A BIT AFTER FOREVER :) :cool:

IAmARevenant
03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I see someone's a fan.

cool 2 hate 681
03-29-2008, 03:54 PM
i say offspring

afi are not as good as they used to be :(

Blitzkrieg Bop
03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
i say offspring

afi are not as good as they used to be :(

I whole heartedly agree !!!! The Offspring all the way :p

dff_punk
03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Decemberunderground might be their worst album ever... a few good tunes, but the rest.. booring..

SweetTatyana
12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Decemberunderground might be their worst album ever... a few good tunes, but the rest.. booring..

Yeah definitely, I am sorry to whoever made this thread but that new AFI stuff I cannot stand. Sing the Sorrow I didnt mind, it definitely had playtime in my cd player but their older stuff was pretty good. Either way, nobody in my books beats Offspring.

MAXTER
12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
1 - The Offspring (My dream Band)
2 - Afi (My 2 Favorite band):D

iPunk247
12-10-2008, 11:56 PM
:Dthe offspring:D

:cool:hands down!!!:cool:

Smash_Returns
12-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Sing The Sorrow was the best AFI album. (The only one I really even like)

The Offspring all the way.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
12-12-2008, 08:26 AM
The Offspring, no doubt. I don't like AFI nowadays, they look like another of those gay popular bands...

findout5
12-15-2008, 04:57 AM
I started liking the Offspring way back in 1994, and every record they made since has been pretty good (except Splinter - some nice songs, but still kind of a let down!). AFI only became great after Jade joined, Black Sails In The Sunset is the 1st record that won me over.

However, I think AFI is a much more interesting band musically, and they are ambitious as hell -I really like that! Their last 2 records (Sing The Sorrow + Decemberunderground) are a lot better than CO1 and Splinter. And, seeing they are working with Botrill on the new record, I'm sure it'll be better than RAFRAG. So I have to say, RIGHT NOW they are a better band (with gayish haircuts though!).

This thread isn't fair - if you go to the AFI boards, I'm sure everyone will say AFI's better than The Offspring. Just like in here, the reverse happens!

WebDudette
12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
A lot of people there haven't even heard of The Offspring is my guess.

Did Dexter do this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z1hYhrGdOc.

Afi are the better band.

cool 2 hate 681
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
i guess in 2008 they are the better band in terms of popularity and live shows 7 years ago it would have been offspring we will have to wait until offspring and afi disband until we find out who is the better band overall

0r4ng3
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Does this really have to be a competition? I mean god forbid we like two different bands.

Static_Martyr
12-15-2008, 09:01 PM
(1) Why the Decemberunderground hate? That's one of my favorite albums by AFI....is it because it's poppier?

(2) I noticed the word "gay" keeps coming up in reference to Davey Havok....I always wonder what exactly that's supposed to imply. I mean, is it wrong for someone to "look gay?" I wouldn't dress like that myself, but I don't really see a problem with it....

iPunk247
12-20-2008, 07:13 PM
The Offspring.

Close thread now, please!

Thank You. =^.^=

Szandi
12-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Offspring.
I don't like AFI.

Ninty Man
12-21-2008, 05:16 PM
(1) Why the Decemberunderground hate? That's one of my favorite albums by AFI....is it because it's poppier?

(2) I noticed the word "gay" keeps coming up in reference to Davey Havok....I always wonder what exactly that's supposed to imply. I mean, is it wrong for someone to "look gay?" I wouldn't dress like that myself, but I don't really see a problem with it....

1-. I don't give a damn is poppier -sing the sorrow is poppier, but is good as fuck-. December is just... well... not good enough.
2-. I don't care

SK8rocka
12-21-2008, 05:39 PM
(seriously why post this on an offspring forum)\

Might as well go to the britney spears forum and start a thread "Britney vs. SLIPKNOT"

MODS!

~|Vredina|~
12-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Offspring of course!

pointless thread

IAmARevenant
12-24-2008, 12:02 PM
AFI

Partly because AFI started off as a completely irrelevant band with no real reason for being there and became a band that made music that really connected with me that I loved.
With the Offspring, that cycle was reversed.

cool 2 hate 681
12-24-2008, 02:23 PM
im really beginning to think afi are overrated

0r4ng3
12-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Are they even "rated" anymore? I haven't heard much about them since shortly after Decemberunderground came out 2 and a half years ago. I mean, yeah, I listen to them a lot, but they're not all over the news or anything.

Static_Martyr
12-24-2008, 04:36 PM
1-. I don't give a damn is poppier -sing the sorrow is poppier, but is good as fuck-. December is just... well... not good enough.
2-. I don't care

(1) I was just curious as to why the hate? I always just get random angry sentiments like this when I ask that question; I was hoping someone could give me a considerable response....

(2) I suppose that's just fine, then 0_0

WerGee
01-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Which band do you CURRENTLY like better? I know this is a loaded question here on the Offspring site, but AFI has put out some incredible albums in the past 5 years. I find myself listening to AFI far more than the Offspring. Something 5 years ago I would never have believed. Just looking for opinions.
forever The Offspring...

Rooster
01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Well, considering which forum we are on, it should be completely obvious what should be the answer to this question.

AFI are better. period. Why the hell do you think we joined the forum for The Offspring fans? Just to tell that AFI are better.

I know they are better, even though i don't like them much.

RageAndLov
01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
That is hard. I've liked Offspring longer than I've liked AFI, and Offspring hasn't any really crappy albums that AFI unfortunatley has produced sometimes. They have both changed their sound when they both went on to thier major labels. While Offspring made different but just a great music, AFI made different but much less good music compared to their earlier work.

So I guess the conclusion is that Offspring is the one I like best, even though AFI was very good before.

findout5
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I love The Offspring with all my heart, but AFI are better musicians who challenge themselves a lot and keep pushing forward, whereas The Offspring try to deliver what they think fans want to hear.

And to anyone that seems to citicize AFI's recent records, should immediately click here:
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/507.html

RageAndLov
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
And to anyone that seems to citicize AFI's recent records, should immediately click here:

Hahahahahahahahaha!! That made me laugh so hard! :p

RonWelty
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I love The Offspring with all my heart, but AFI are better musicians who challenge themselves a lot and keep pushing forward, whereas The Offspring try to deliver what they think fans want to hear.

Come on! With this you just got so low in my own "user ranking". AFI is good ,I know. They can be better musicians than Offspring and do more ellaborated stuff. But HEY! Mozart and Beenthoven were better musicians too and I don't like them a lot.

What really cares is what they do with the skills they have and make something you will like. And THE OFFSPRING do it like no one else.
That's what make them great! We don't need some fuckin odd music full of hard stuff to play if they left no emotion in you. Got it? :)

findout5
01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
I get your point.
I'm not into classical, even though they play the fuck out of their instruments. And I'm not much into metal either, where for instance a band like Dream Theather are fenomenal players, yet they make boring music with little to no emotion - sounding like a soundtrack to an elevator.
However, AFI understand dynamics better, and their songs are more long-lasting, because they add more parts or curveballs, thus making the music more interesting and less reliable on formulas (intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-introx2-chorusx2).
And AFI are extremely emotional, more so than The Offspring. If you look at the songwriting process, you'll see just that. Dexter writes music first and lyrics later. With AFI it's all at the same time, thus more emotional, more from the heart if you will and less from the brain.

Like I said, I love The Offspring and they are the ones that got me into music so deeply as I am, but I can see beyond that. STS walks all over CO1, Decemberunderground walks all over Splinter and I'm sure the new one being recorded will walk all over RAFRAG.

Rooster
01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
To me AFI sound just like any other modern "rock" (punk/emo/alternative rock or whatever you may call these bands lately) band. Nothing special in their music. Too generic for my liking.

Also too much makeup (although this has nothing to do with music, it still annoys me).

RageAndLov
01-22-2009, 06:56 AM
I guess the music taste is like the ass.

Ninty Man
01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I guess the music taste is like the ass.

I like big butts XD

RonWelty
01-22-2009, 10:05 AM
I get your point.
I'm not into classical, even though they play the fuck out of their instruments. And I'm not much into metal either, where for instance a band like Dream Theather are fenomenal players, yet they make boring music with little to no emotion - sounding like a soundtrack to an elevator.
However, AFI understand dynamics better, and their songs are more long-lasting, because they add more parts or curveballs, thus making the music more interesting and less reliable on formulas (intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-introx2-chorusx2).
And AFI are extremely emotional, more so than The Offspring. If you look at the songwriting process, you'll see just that. Dexter writes music first and lyrics later. With AFI it's all at the same time, thus more emotional, more from the heart if you will and less from the brain.

Like I said, I love The Offspring and they are the ones that got me into music so deeply as I am, but I can see beyond that. STS walks all over CO1, Decemberunderground walks all over Splinter and I'm sure the new one being recorded will walk all over RAFRAG.

P.S. -> Can you upload pls Black sails in the sunset? I only have in cd. I want mp3. Thanks

Dude, I LOVE NITRO's AFI album and STS. I love their emotional stuff: Clove smoke catharsis, Morning Star, Silver and cold etc. Offspring have them too : Dirty Magic, Self Esteem, Gone Away, Amazed... And, I think I'm not being a jackass if I say that DM, SE and GA beats all that AFI's songs I posted.

I agree with you with that idea that " AFI have more raw skills than OFfspring". Yes It's true. But it's true either that The Offspring do songs that all kind of PEOPLE could like and relate. AFI have a more restricted target.

STS beats CO1- yes!
DECEMBERUNDERGROUND beats Splinter? I don't like both
But if you believe that AFI's new album will beat RaFRaG, Bruno, You're in the wrong band's forum... google this :the despair faction.

Abraįo

findout5
01-22-2009, 01:23 PM
P.S. -> Can you upload pls Black sails in the sunset? I only have in cd. I want mp3. Thanks

Dude, I LOVE NITRO's AFI album and STS. I love their emotional stuff: Clove smoke catharsis, Morning Star, Silver and cold etc. Offspring have them too : Dirty Magic, Self Esteem, Gone Away, Amazed... And, I think I'm not being a jackass if I say that DM, SE and GA beats all that AFI's songs I posted.

I agree with you with that idea that " AFI have more raw skills than OFfspring". Yes It's true. But it's true either that The Offspring do songs that all kind of PEOPLE could like and relate. AFI have a more restricted target.

STS beats CO1- yes!
DECEMBERUNDERGROUND beats Splinter? I don't like both
But if you believe that AFI's new album will beat RaFRaG, Bruno, You're in the wrong band's forum... google this :the despair faction.

Abraįo

I don't really view music as a either/or thing. I like The Offspring and I like AFI. I got the feeling AFI were going to grow A LOT ever since The Art Of Drowning. And I got the feel The Offspring were going to stagnate ever since I heard CO1. Despite me viewing RAFRAG as a step forward in their career...I see more "fire"/passion, whatever you wanna call it on AFI! And there's other bands that probably I like even more!

I'll PM you BSITS with a few added bonus tracks ;)

Abraįo e até já :p

RageAndLov
01-24-2009, 05:00 AM

Can't you just put the CD in your CD-ROM and rip the music? :p