PDA

View Full Version : New Song (Not yet complete)

mrconeman
10-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi. As some of you might know I do music in school, and part of the course is to compose, annotate, record and write out in sheet music, a piece of our own. I've had this song written since around summer, and want to use it for a cool Randy Rhoads tribute CD project being organised at another forum as well, if I can get it decently recorded before the deadline.

The teachers in school have asked for early versions of our songs so they can help out with putting it into sheet music, and to let the rest of the class hear what everyone is doing ect. So this is just an early version, with only guitar.
I wrote this on a summer day kind of inspired by two songs "Yellow Ledbetter" by Pearl Jam, and "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix, they just have this awesome, summery, free flowing feel, and I really wanted to see if I could pull it off, but without sounding like them.

I also really felt the need to write something summery, I had a great summer last...summer. I tried to get a more...'expressive' solo I guess than what I would usually try.

Anyway, remember, this is an early version, and I'll hoooopefully get a good one done, with bass and drums in time for the RR CD project, if not for then I'll definitely get a good one up eventually, because we have to have a fully finished and recorded version sometime in 08, but I entirely suck at recording and programming drums, so I'll wait until I can actually record the drummer from school.

Any crits and praise is welcome, let me know what you guys think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=262777
A Road Less Travelled.

T-6005
10-10-2007, 04:05 PM
I have to be honest and say that I found it a tiny little bit boring at parts. I really enjoyed the guitar solo - wish I could play like you do - but overall, I wasn't totally impressed.

It might be because I associate the summery guitar idea with a little of slap-muting on acoustics. I mean, a lot, and then not really strumming so hard and whatnot, you know?

I still enjoyed listening to it, I'll admit (especially the solo), but it's not going to be racked up in my summery feel good ditties. Did you use any sort of echo on the main guitar? That could also be the reason for it - it makes it sound a bit faded, whereas what I expect from a summery acoustic idea is the full bass part of the guitar sounding woody and strong. My lack of technical guitar terms might be confusing, but I hope you get what I mean.

mrconeman
10-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I have to be honest and say that I found it a tiny little bit boring at parts. I really enjoyed the guitar solo - wish I could play like you do - but overall, I wasn't totally impressed.
I appreciate the honesty. Really I do, it's alot more productive than tip toeing around your real opinion. Thanks for listening. I actually agree with you, it is a little, sort of empty at the minute, I do think that the rest of the instrumentation wrote for it, especially the drums, adds quite a bit to it, I've jammed to it with a drummer and bassist a couple times now and I have a blast playing it everytime. I hope you'll like the finished version a little better when I eventually get it done, I'll probably add a few changes myself to the guitar too.

I still enjoyed listening to it, I'll admit (especially the solo), but it's not going to be racked up in my summery feel good ditties. Did you use any sort of echo on the main guitar? That could also be the reason for it - it makes it sound a bit faded, whereas what I expect from a summery acoustic idea is the full bass part of the guitar sounding woody and strong. My lack of technical guitar terms might be confusing, but I hope you get what I mean.
I'm rather glad you liked the solo, I was trying quite hard not to just fiddle and widdle all over it, and hopefully actually work it into suiting the rest of the song, I know that's your favourite kind of solo, so yeah, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I understand what you meant about the summery acoustic tune, but this was played on clean electric, theres a little bit of a reverb/echo I dialled in to my amp.

I guess I was kind of going for a chilled out sound...I might add I recorded this kinda stoned (that's not an excuse or anything, I don't play it any better sober, it's just the state of mind I was in probably contributed to the tone and...tempo.). I'm all the more looking forward to getting the bass and drums recorded somehow someway now, I do think it livens it up a tad.
Cheers again.

Valve
10-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Well. The guitar is good. But I was waiting for the vocals to come in. But they didn't. That's probably because you don't have a singer. Well. Start a band and come back to me for some critique. Sorry mate. ;)

mrconeman
10-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Well again, this is a bare version. But I doubt it will have vocals any time soon.
Cheers for listening.

Offspringfan67
10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
if its not complete then why did you put it up?????

0r4ng3
10-12-2007, 08:58 PM
It's explained, at great length, in the first post.

mrconeman
10-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Some people are just really fucking stupid.
I mean I could put that more eloquently, but why the fuck bother, my God, some people are really fucking stupid.

The Talking Pie
10-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Nice song. I agree that it sounds bare and a tad boring, but I don't really know what one could expect from a single guitar with nothing else, so I'm really looking forward to the completed version to see how it all comes together.

That said, some parts seemed a bit 'reliable'. Namely the lick at 1:56 that you use a few times and how you keep settling back on the same note after each run (but that's just a matter of taste... not all solos have to race around the fretboard and shoot off in a new direction every barre... that's just the Kirk in me, likely). I only say that because it seems like the kind of 'tried-and-tested-and-good-to-do-to-death' thing that I would use, and I hate my soloing when it comes to what I can compose myself (and that's honestly the root of my criticism; that it sounds like something I'd use, and I think I'm shit at writing).

However, what I do like about the solo is how it reminds me of Metallica's cover of 'Tuesday's Gone'. Not so much that it sounds similar, but that it just has that feel... and I fucking love that song, so it works well for me.

Perhaps some of the twiddly bits in the clean sections at the beginning could be toned down, but I don't know; they might compliment the song when other instruments are brought into the mix. I'm a bit reluctant to give any in-depth feedback when all we're talking about is a rough demo, you know.

But, overall, I liked it (especially the lead into the solo), and wish I could write something like that.