PDA

View Full Version : Music in commercials.

Jakebert
10-09-2007, 06:35 PM
How do you feel about having bands you like sell their songs to advertisers to put in commericals?

I'm watching TV right now, and a few seconds ago a car commercial came on, You know the type, the sappy, cheesy commercials that show how nostalgic a car ride can be. Then, over top of the cliched commercial, I hear one of my favorite songs. "Cabezon" by the Red House Painters. I felt an almost sad, disappointed feeling in my gut.

I don't like the idea of a song I love, a song that means a lot to me, being used to sell cars. Now, when people hear it, they won't think "oh, that's an amazing song", they think "hey, I heard it in a car commercial!!!"

Your thoughts?

GUSH7
10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, I just saw a preview for the movie American Gangster, and it had "Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)" by Jay-Z. At first, it is a suprising feeling, because I never expected that song to be that well known. It made me kind of happy, actually, to see a musical artist I liked being recognized like that. It depends on the popularity of the song that will determine my reaction, but I was too young to be around when Jay-Z was popular, thus fueling my excitement.

mrconeman
10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
You know, I've actually considered making this thread a couple of times.
I'm very very due for some sleep, so I'll make it short.

But I think bands have to be extremely stupid to put their songs into advertisements for like anti drunk driving, but like hear me out. There's drunk driving campaigns here that are like real graphic, crushed cars, people dead, crying, blood, screaming, families ruined, all depicted, right there with your little song being forever related with that thereafter. I guess people have their reasons, or they could get payed alot, or they may not have a say in it at all, but still, it surely bothers me.

But overall, if a song is used well in an advert I don't mind, and actually of late there's been alot of mobile phone adverts shown here that have had these cool little acoustic numbers, which I'd never heard before, and googled the lyrics to find a few of them, so I'd be a hypocrite to criticize using bands/artists in adverts instead of just session musicians or something.

0r4ng3
10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
I remember that like 4 seconds of "Coolidge" by the Descendents was in a commercial once. It was pretty cool to hear.

The commercial was mostly forgotten, so I think I get back those "omgpunx" points.

Autonomist
10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
I think it's a relatively double-ended sword. There's the obvious disadvantage of having your song played to death, to the point where everyone becomes sick of it. On the other hand, there are many songs I love today that I've heard in commercials that I definitely wouldn't have heard otherwise anywhere else.

jacknife737
10-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a tru punx here or anything, but if i say heard an Against Me!, or a Lawrence Arms track in like a Gap commercial or something, i'd be pretty upset. I get really attached to most of the music/bands that I listen to, so like Jakebert said I’d feel sad/ disappointed if I heard music that I really cared about being used to try and sell something like a car or jeans.

Tijs
10-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Personally I wouldn't car, at all. In fact I think it's pretty cool. At leats that's what I thought when I heard The Noose and Diamons and Guns (Transplants) in two seperate commercials.

opivy21
10-10-2007, 04:42 AM
I think it depends. Mike Watt let Love Dance be used in a car commercial and he gave all the money he got from it to D. Boon's dad who was not medically well. So it's not always bad, but in most cases I agree with Jakebert.

Little_Miss_1565
10-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Anyone who doesn't want a band's music in car commercials, TV shows, etc. is basically saying they don't want a band or artist to make any money and thereby support themselves to make more amazing music. "Syncs" are basically the only guaranteed way to make any cash in the music business right now, other than touring. And talk to me about being able to tour your ass off when you have to work a day job because your music career makes zero dollars (or, in many cases, negative dollars). And, as it's been said, there are looooads of people who hear about new music because of commercials and shows like Grey's Anatomy and House. I heard a cover Placebo did of "Running up that Hill" by Kate Bush over the end of CSI recently and it was fucking rad. I never would have found out about that otherwise.

Music is about art and expression and being awesome, but at the end of the day, what makes it happen as a career is money. Period.

RickyCrack
10-10-2007, 08:55 AM
If i had a band, i would sell out in a second. Srsly, I'd write one hit song and live comfortably for the rest of my life in my sweet house and car and just play wow and eat bagel bites every day for the rest of my life. perhaps i'd do the occasional VH1 special about one hit wonders, where i'd tell the world nationally that I made insane amounts of coin [money that I used to buy moar drugs. and a boat. and a house for my mom] for one song.

BREAK
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Anyone who honestly gives a fuck what an artist decides to do with their OWN MUSIC needs to realize how much more important shit goes on in this planet. Personally, the people who make my favorite sounds can starve to death for all I care, but when I hear like a Spoon song in the trailer for some dumbass movie, my reaction is less "ZOMG GHEY SELLOUT FAGZ!" and more "Hey, that's a Spoon song! And a good one! Ah, such a change of pace from hearing shitty classic rock and other retard music in these movies."

BustedKnuckles
10-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree with you ^^. I heard a Fratelli's song on a movie commercial/trailer and was pleased to hear it!

mrconeman
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
They fall under "other retard music" though.

0r4ng3
10-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't mind if a band I like has a song in a commercial. What does bug me are those people that fill up their iPods with those songs, and nothing else. They don't know anything about the band, just "that one song from that commercial". I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit "trupunx" right now, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

Rag Doll
10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I heard a cover Placebo did of "Running up that Hill" by Kate Bush over the end of CSI recently and it was fucking rad. I never would have found out about that otherwise.

i was just listening to that. placebo is so fucking...mmmm. ahem. anyways.

it normally doesn't bother me too much. the only one that bothers me is the Outback commercial using Of Montreal's *wraith pinned...*. And that's mainly because if I play the actual song somewhere now, people say "hey, those aren't the words! it's about Outback!". o_O

Little_Miss_1565
10-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't mind if a band I like has a song in a commercial. What does bug me are those people that fill up their iPods with those songs, and nothing else. They don't know anything about the band, just "that one song from that commercial". I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit "trupunx" right now, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

People are dumb sheep, the album as a format is on life support, and pretty soon most everyone will be buying their music (what they still buy, that is) one single at a time on iTunes, or--gasp--as a ringtone. You're about to get a whole lot more peeved unless you can find a way to get over it, y'know?

Mannen som blev en gris
10-10-2007, 02:49 PM
People are dumb sheep, the album as a format is on life support, and pretty soon most everyone will be buying their music (what they still buy, that is) one single at a time on iTunes

I really hope you're wrong. And you hopefully are. Remember when people used to buy singles? On CD? Yeah, it's the same thing, it's just that now you can get it for free, or almost free. Those who buy music like that are generally just not interested in it enough to bother with complete albums (since that would include a bunch of songs they've never heard before and maybe some songs they wouldn't like). So in the 90s they bought singles because then you'd get the song you wanted and it'd be a lot cheaper than getting the entire album. Now, you just download that song instead of downloading the entire album, which would take longer.

But I thought people stopped doing this when they turned 12, so I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. If I am, then fuck people.

On topic: I don't know how I'd react. I can't remember if it's ever happened for me. But since I'm an elitist bastard I'd probably hate it because I want my music for myself and no one else. NO ONE ELSE. Which is why I try to listen to more crap.

nieh
10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Remember when people used to buy singles? On CD?

No, I don't. For decades the market has been more focused on albums than singles. People might only listen to the radio and hear only the band's singles (maybe even go through the effort of recording the song off the radio if they like it enough) but if they actually spent money on the band's music, they would normally buy the whole album, not just the single. The last time it was the other way around was before cds existed.

It's really disappointing that people have no attention span when it comes to music anymore. Hopefully there's still a core of people that will be buying full albums (I remember pointing out at some point that sales on major labels have plumetted since downloading has become so popular while sales on indie labels have skyrocketed, but that was as of a few years ago and I'd be surprised if they haven't started dropping too since then) but I don't know if that will be enough to keep it afloat.

Little_Miss_1565
10-10-2007, 03:07 PM
I really hope you're wrong. And you hopefully are. Remember when people used to buy singles? On CD? Yeah, it's the same thing, it's just that now you can get it for free, or almost free. Those who buy music like that are generally just not interested in it enough to bother with complete albums (since that would include a bunch of songs they've never heard before and maybe some songs they wouldn't like). So in the 90s they bought singles because then you'd get the song you wanted and it'd be a lot cheaper than getting the entire album. Now, you just download that song instead of downloading the entire album, which would take longer.

Not quite. I am, unfortunately, quite correct. People will continue to buy full albums digitally and physically, but probably never again in the same numbers they're buying individual songs online. Singles in the 90's were driven by radio play and snapped up by fans who wanted b-sides. Now, they buy the digital single, which is now any song from an album and not just what the label has selected as a single, and get the b-sides for free on Soulseek, or with an iTunes exclusive for the album.

The longer anyone tries to fight what is coming, the less prepared anyone will be when it arrives.

Most labels and artists make a shitton of money on ringtone sales, with the numbers far overshadowing sales on the album. Probably because you can't (yet) p2p ringtones.

Mannen som blev en gris
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
No, I don't. For decades the market has been more focused on albums than singles. People might only listen to the radio and hear only the band's singles (maybe even go through the effort of recording the song off the radio if they like it enough) but if they actually spent money on the band's music, they would normally buy the whole album, not just the single. The last time it was the other way around was before cds existed.

Well I do. It might have to do with me being like 10 years younger than you though.

Most labels and artists make a shitton of money on ringtone sales, with the numbers far overshadowing sales on the album. Probably because you can't (yet) p2p ringtones.

This is just because people are idiots and don't realize that all you need is a USB cable to transfer ringtones to your phone (which most phones these days come with). p2p'd ringtones.

nieh
10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
As Sarah said, the only time people normally pick up singles is if they want the b-sides which is normally fans of the band that already have (or will get) the full album and are getting it for the sort of completion/rarity aspect of it.

Mannen som blev en gris
10-10-2007, 03:28 PM
No. :(

When I was 7, 8, 9, maybe 10 too, we bought singles. Not because we wanted some rare b-side but because we liked the song and didn't have much money. Everyone bought singles. A few also bought full albums, but far from everyone.

But like I said, maybe I just thought people stopped being this stupid and buying individual songs when they grew up. Apparently they don't though, and now they just download it instead.

Fuck people.

Little_Miss_1565
10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
This is just because people are idiots and don't realize that all you need is a USB cable to transfer ringtones to your phone (which most phones these days come with). p2p'd ringtones.

That's only some phones and some services. The vast majority love their exclusive digital-rights-management so much they know you can do that and fix it so you can't without a lot of hacking.

And you're right in what you said just above this post. But it's really no reason to despair in music--it's time to accept what the business is evolving into and do something to catch up.

Autonomist
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Just for fun, the following is a list of songs I've grown to like through exposure in shows or commercials;

Asia - Heat of the Moment (South Park)
Audioslave - Be Yourself (Scrubs)
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (Futurama)
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper (The Simpsons)
Bob Dylan - I Want You (An ad)
Bodyjar - Lights Out (An ad)
Boston - More Than a Feeling (An ad)
The Killers - All These Things That I've Done (Can't remember)
Martin Sexton - Diner (Scrubs)
Paul Stanley - Live to Win (South Park)
Sammy Davis Jr - The Candy Man (Malcolm in the Middle)
Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (The Simpsons)
The Turtles - Happy Together (Fucking everywhere)
Van Halen - Dreams (An ad)

And those are just the ones I found going through my misc folder. List would've been longer, but I omitted some shame.

Edit: Perhaps the most obvious one I left off was Delta Goodrem - In This Life, a song I liked enough from hearing it in an ad that I drunkenly made a thread about it not so long ago.

Mannen som blev en gris
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
And you're right in what you said just above this post. But it's really no reason to despair in music--it's time to accept what the business is evolving into and do something to catch up.

... but it's also time for people to realize that it's a lot more fun and personal to listen to an entire album and judge it for yourself, instead of getting the songs everyone else loves.

Little_Miss_1565
10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
... but it's also time for people to realize that it's a lot more fun and personal to listen to an entire album and judge it for yourself, instead of getting the songs everyone else loves.

Good luck with that.

The people who feel that way already know. Not everyone is going to get it.

BREAK
10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Cold truth is, most people don't give enough a fuck to the wall about music to sit through an entire collection of songs by a given artist on a regular basis. Even I hardly ever feel that need myself. And with good reason; most musicians can't put together a full album of songs worth listening to in the first place. If everybody in the music industry was bursting with obvious talent and their music touched everyone who heard it in the exact same way, it'd be different. The death of the album has been a long time coming and people have actually been predicting it for, literally, decades. None of this means that good music will suddenly stop being made.

Mannen som blev en gris
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not saying all albums are worth listening to in their entirety - I'm just saying that an artist's best songs aren't their most well known. Everyone has different taste. So I think people should take the time to see which songs THEY personally think are the best. You don't have to download an artist's entire discography, but at least get an album instead of a few songs here and there.

But what you're saying is still true: most people simply don't care about it enough/aren't interested enough. And that's fine I guess, but still.

edit: wait, I think I missed something. Uh, yeah. Sorry, you were saying that albums were dying out, which I guess might be true... I don't know.

BREAK
10-11-2007, 12:31 PM
But then there's all these bands for whom the best-known song IS their best song. You'll hear different wherever you go, but a general consensus always seems to exist somewhere. When it comes to music, people tend to trust the taste of their friends or their radio stations, and if they LIKE all of that stuff, why shouldn't they? The lack of desire to collect full albums isn't so much a disdain towards the album as a concept as it is a product of simple human laziness. It takes EFFORT to become familiar enough with an artist to pinpoint their best songs and it's easier to assume most artists aren't worth the time.

I don't pretend to understand the psychology behind it, but oftentimes even if the average person connects with a particular song enough, they will seek out more by the artist on their own. But even with true hardcore music fans (omg, I sound like that "hardcore gamers" kid) this does not happen with every single song they happen to like. Anyone who's ever been disappointed by the quality of an album not living up to the hit single will know cautiousness pays off.

I'm surprised the album isn't long dead by now, actually.