PDA

View Full Version : Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead

Llamas
10-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I personally am rather excited for his album that's coming in a couple weeks. Has anyone heard any of the new songs?

I think this is a breath of fresh air, after Mezmerize/Hypnotize from SOAD... glad to hear Serj's work again, rather than Daron's. I wonder if the band will ever reunite, but if Serj's solo work is all as good as the three songs on his myspace, I won't be terribly torn up to just hear him and not the band in the future.

The Unthinking Majority isn't lyrically very good... kind of a typical political SOAD song... but I like the music of it. I think Empty Walls is quite good, and Saving Us is really awesome.

nameless
10-12-2007, 09:32 PM
only heard one song but it sounds pretty good!

Llamas
10-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Which song did you hear?

Little_Miss_1565
10-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I haven't heard it yet but every time I've heard a snippet of something he's done on his own, I fucking loved it.

WebDudette
10-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I listened to a song on the way home about 5 minutes ago. I don't like it. It was Empty Walls.

Thomas
10-14-2007, 04:00 PM
It sounds a ot like old SOAD, which is good, but there is a severe lack of John Dolmoyan, which is bad.

Llamas
10-14-2007, 05:09 PM
It sounds a ot like old SOAD, which is good, but there is a severe lack of John Dolmoyan, which is bad.

I think that The Unthinking Majority sounds the most like old SOAD... but the other two songs kind of do, yet still are very different to anything of the past. John is an excellent drummer... Serj played all the instruments himself for this album, though, which gives him huge props, but I wasn't shocked to hear less impressive drumming and guitaring.

1565, I agree with loving everything I've heard that he's done himself. I'd suggest checking out his myspace to hear the new songs www.myspace.com/serjtankian

Thomas
10-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh shit, HE did the drumming for that? I didn't know he was capable. It's not bad drumming, it's just not John Dolmoyan.

nameless
10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Which song did you hear?

it was the one on kerrang tv, was a bit like system of a down though!

Llamas
10-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Oh shit, HE did the drumming for that? I didn't know he was capable. It's not bad drumming, it's just not John Dolmoyan.

Yeah... that's exactly what I think. It's good for a non-drummer. :)

it was the one on kerrang tv, was a bit like system of a down though!

hmm, then I bet it was Unthinking Majority.

I've heard more songs now... I might just not be in the right state of mind to listen right now, but right now I'm afraid that he picked the best three for his myspace... but I'll have to give the songs a real listen later. He definitely used some really interesting melodies, instrumentations, and sounds. I think that the three songs he released before were the most SOAD like, so the other songs are not what I expected. I think I could end up loving this after some real listening, though.

nameless
10-18-2007, 03:32 PM
by the sound things, the album has been leaked onto the internet! i will probably buy it anyway though!

Llamas
10-19-2007, 12:18 AM
I admit it, I downloaded a leak. I WILL, in fact, buy the album when it comes out.

I wasn't so huge on it after the first couple listens... but it's really starting to grow on me. The songs that are less SOAD sounding took a while to get used to... SOAD is already a jarring band to listen to, so it's hard to listen to something is jarring in some similar ways, and yet different even further. There's a lot of piano here, and some really cool harmonies. It sounds like it has a lot of eastern classical influence. I haven't gotten around to listening to lyrics yet... will do that once I have the disc- hopefully he has the lyrics in the booklet (though he's a lyrical guy, I think he will). Seems like a LOT of political stuff, which isn't surprising. But I think he's developing as a lyricist, and is getting better at conveying his thoughts without sounding cheesy or generic.

Anyway, I really like it, and I recommend it to anyone who's a fan of SOAD or Serj's voice, or anyone who's interested in something very different.

EMehl6
10-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Just listened to the leak, and it's a pretty solid album. I'll definately be buying it. The only song I didn't like was "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition". That song pretty much just sucked cock. No flow at all.

Llamas
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
It took a long time for that song to grow on me. Now I like it more than Honking Antelope and Beethoven's Cunt. But Praise the Lord is definitely a weird and jarring song that I hated at first.

EMehl6
10-24-2007, 03:03 PM
It took a long time for that song to grow on me. Now I like it more than Honking Antelope and Beethoven's Cunt. But Praise the Lord is definitely a weird and jarring song that I hated at first.

Meh, maybe it will grow on me. I've only listen to the album once so far. My favorite off it as of now is "The Unthinking Majority".

Llamas
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Really? I think that song is kinda blah... I really love "Lie Lie Lie" followed by "Sky is Over".

EMehl6
10-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Really? I think that song is kinda blah... I really love "Lie Lie Lie" followed by "Sky is Over".

Haha, I like the guitar work and tempo changes in the song, and it flows real well to me. The video for the song is also real cool.

adombomb222
11-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Actually, I believe John did help with the drumming on this album. But it’s true that it was all recorded at Serj’s home studio.

I got the deluxe limited edition, the acoustic versions of “Empty Walls” and “Feed Us” are really good, maybe better then the original on “Feed Us”. It also included “Blue” and “Falling Stars”, which is a very good song. The booklet included 12 poems by Serj and full colored artwork by Sako Shahinian who also did the illustrations for Cool Gardens, a poetry book by Serj.

I really like “Honking Antelope”, “Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition”, “Sky Is Over”, “Money” and “Lie Lie Lie”.

What do you think the name “Nlelith” in the song “Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition” means? I’ve searched for it everywhere and cannot find an answer. Here’s the lines it is used in:

“Nlelith is a prophet
From the prophet came the king
From the king came the pauper
From the pauper came the swing
From the swing came creation
From creation came love
You don’t know what this love is all about.”

Llamas
11-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I was wrong. Serj played all the instruments on the album except drums and strings. John did play drums.

I think Nlelith is an Armenian prophet or something. I dunno.

But yeah, Lie Lie Lie and Sky is Over are just fantastic songs.

H1T_That
11-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Bumpeth.

I put off listening to this album, as i feared it would be nothing more than watered down SOAD. I was wrong, it's rather brilliant. Sky is over, followed by Money are my favourites.

darea
11-25-2007, 12:02 PM
I just went to see him in concert at London, astoria this thursday.
It was awesome!! it was a small room, so we could see him really well from wherever we were, and he sung his whole album, plus 3 SOAD songs, and one Beatles song (that surprised me). But anyway it was great, for all those who haven't been, I'd recommend it!!
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v158/105/123/511282085/n511282085_199302_8977.jpg

Meg
11-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I just went to see him in concert at London, astoria this thursday.
It was awesome!! it was a small room, so we could see him really well from wherever we were, and he sung his whole album, plus 3 SOAD songs, and one Beatles song (that surprised me). But anyway it was great, for all those who haven't been, I'd recommend it!!
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v158/105/123/511282085/n511282085_199302_8977.jpg

:O Seriously jealous!!!!

*slap slap slap!*

darea
11-25-2007, 12:07 PM
lol it's the first time I go to a concert (well I've been to see big reggae bands but that's not the same), this was like my first real big and great concert!!! so you can slap me as much as you want!! lol For once, I'm not the one being jealous!!!

my fave songs are "saving us" , "feed us", "money" and "unthinking majority" (love the drum beat)

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v152/105/123/511282085/n511282085_199292_8375.jpg

Meg
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
"Saving us" is a brilliant song, but I still prefer "empty walls" I didn't like "the unthinking majority" at first, but it's definitely grown on me, I must say.

So far, concert wise, i've only ever been to Greenday [Milton keynes] and Steps when I was about 9!

Sham
11-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't like the album very much. The best song is Feeding us, Saving us is good too but othre than that pretty bland and boring.

Meg
11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I still haven't got the album, which is a bitch, but i'm going to get it as soon as I have some cash. Is it much like the singles? Or is the rest quite different?

darea
11-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I really liked the whole thing, the music is all really good, really nice melodies. I don't think the album is boring at all, I thought it was really nice, a lot calmer than SOAD songs, and some of it closer to the older SOAD albums (which is good cause those are what I really liked best). Err I'd say there are a few songs like the unthinking majority... (Praise the lord and pass the ammunition), some calmer songs..funny songs like "Lie, lie lie"
I'm not good at saying what an album is like, they're not all the same and they all have a certain quality, I don't think its a waste of money buying the album (and there are the lyrics in the album too). If you liked the songs you've heard so far, I guess you'd like it.

The only other big concerts I'd been to were Diams (a female french rapper, not all that good but it was cheap and close to where I lived) and Placebo... I don't like there music, so just being in the mosh pit made it really fun.

SO serj was my first really good concert, and I can't wait to see the offspring and other bands that I really like!!

Sham
11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I think you should download it instead of buying it. A lot of the songs are repetivitve, and they mostly use the same patterns. I definetly would not spend money on it.

Meg
11-25-2007, 12:53 PM
i much prefer to buy the CD's personally. I'm not on the computer much, and I like to have a physical copy of what i'm listening to. I also like to have the lyrics and album artwork [if there is any]

Sham
11-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Even so, you don't want to waste 20$ on something you don't want...you might want to at least sample it

darea
11-25-2007, 01:16 PM
well I bought it for about 6 pounds on amazon, which is cheap. So if like me you like to have the real album itself, well you could always get it cheap on amazon!! or ebay or whatever!!

Llamas
11-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I don't see how it's repetitive at all. Plus Sham's opinion doesn't count because all he likes lately is rap :P

And the three singles are the most SOAD like, especially Unthinking Majority. The rest of the album is much more diverse and doesn't sound like SOAD to me. There's a lot of piano, and the songs are less thrashy metal, and more melodic rock. There are some really lovely songs (sky is over, lie lie lie), some really crazy songs (praise the lord and pass the ammunition), some strange songs (money, honking antelope), and some more typical/soad sounding songs (feed us, baby). I like it because it's very diverse. The only song I don't like a lot is "Beethoven's Cunt". I'd say that, if you really like the three singles, you'll like the album.

Sham
11-25-2007, 03:54 PM
When I said repetivitve, I meant that he does this thing where he goes slow, then goes fast and uproars, then goes back down slow again, then does this for many of the songs. A good tactic, but for every song? It just got tedious to me.

nieh
11-25-2007, 05:02 PM
I got the album today and there's not a single song on there that couldn't pass for a SOAD track, even if it might not have been 'typical' SOAD every time. The only thing that didn't sound quite like them was the guitarwork. The core riffs were pretty much the same, but I'm guessing the guitarist from SOAD is better than Serj is because he would normally add a little bit of flair to them.

Llamas
11-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I got the album today and there's not a single song on there that couldn't pass for a SOAD track, even if it might not have been 'typical' SOAD every time. The only thing that didn't sound quite like them was the guitarwork. The core riffs were pretty much the same, but I'm guessing the guitarist from SOAD is better than Serj is because he would normally add a little bit of flair to them.

To be fair, the most definitive aspect of SOAD was Serj's voice and vocal style, plus he wrote all the songs on the first two albums, and all the songs he sang lead on on newer albums. If I'd heard his new songs not knowing it was solo work, yeah I would've thought SOAD had just taken a huge twist. But, these songs are something you would never have heard from SOAD. There is so much experimentation and instrumental diversity that SOAD would have never touched. Plus it's not nearly as heavy.

As for him going from screaming to singing and such all the time, he barely does that on this album. There is very little screaming, and he mostly just worked with his melody/harmony contrasts. And as far as fast/slow... "Baby" does that, and "Money". The rest all have pretty consistent tempos.

adombomb222
12-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Daron wrote a majority of the songs on the last two alums and he also sung a lot more, which is probably why the last two albums are as good as the first three.

As Serj said on a Fuse TV interview he has over 400 songs written, however most of them are written with a piano and acoustic guitar, including some of the songs on the album. It wasn't till he went to put drums ad other instruments to the song that it became heavy and more orientated to rock.

On another note, have you seen the video for "Parse The Lord?" my opinion:
It’s horrible. I mean come on its a great song you think they could have made a much better video. I understand the symbolism that’s in the video, and in that aspect its ok. But with the song it doesn’t make the best mixture... you'd think the director would have gone more with political video about war.

I like what Serj did giving twelve different directors a different song and tell them to produce the video on a budget and not show him a treatment or the video till it was finished. I think this will allow for a very diverse artistic few into the songs for many different people, which I find interesting. Some of them came out well, “Empty Walls”, “Saving Us” and “Honking Antelope.” As others like, “Parse The Lord” came out badly but ones like “Lie Lie Lie” can out unique and very different.

Llamas
12-08-2007, 02:47 AM
I've seen Empty Walls, Unthinking Majority, Saving us, and Praise the Lord. Saving us and Empty Walls have amazing videos. I didn't like Praise the Lord's, and Unthinking Majority's is alright.

adombomb222
01-14-2009, 11:32 PM
(Taken from Myspace bulletin)
Date: Jan 14, 2009 5:07 PM
Subject: A letter for the New Year
Body: Hello Everyone,

First and foremost I hope everyone had a great holiday season and a great new year. I am writing this to you from my residence in New Zealand. I felt it was appropriate to write this from here because I have HUGE news for ALL of my fans (especially for those of you in Australia and New Zealand).

As many of you know I am playing Big Day Out this year, plus some solo shows with special shows w/ very special guests Fantomas. But the reason I am writing this letter is to tell you that I am doing a ONCE IN A LIFETIME show with the Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra.

On Monday, March 16, 2009 at the Auckland Town Hall I will be collaborating with Auckland’s most loved orchestra. I will be playing songs from Elect The Dead and some unreleased extras. All the songs will be reinterpreted to fit with the orchestra, as the F.C.C. will not be playing this show with me. It’s just the orchestra and I; the arrangements for the orchestra were made by respected New Zealand composer John Psathas.

I'm elated to have the opportunity to arrange my songs from Elect the Dead for a full orchestra with the APO. The arrangements will be quite different than those on the record including bonus tracks never played live, and John Psathas will be helping me outfit my string arrangements for the full orchestra. We'll also be taping the performance for a worldwide DVD release later in the year. Yes for real, we will be putting this out on DVD.

adombomb222
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
^ I'm excited for the DVD. And if I could go to that show I would, that would be the ultimate Tankian experience.