PDA

View Full Version : label

Fall-children
01-03-2005, 08:59 PM
in wich label is supposed to came the new cd?? not the GH butb the new NEW cd?? sony but they finished the contact or they will do it again??
mayeb they are returnig to eoitaph or will go into nitro yay!!

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:00 PM
im pretty sure epitaph pretty much just died out.. i bet they'll stick w/ columbia.

Tired_Of_You
01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
They have another CD to do with Columbia so it's definitely this label.

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:04 PM
thought so

Fall-children
01-03-2005, 09:05 PM
dammit..........

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:07 PM
hey, none of their columbia records have been bad.. even though smash was the SHIT. i doubt they'll ever go back to an independent label though.

leo3375
01-03-2005, 09:08 PM
They're too big for almost all indie labels. That was one reason why they had to leave Epitaph. It's also one of the reasons they won't officially sign to Nitro even though Dexter owns it.

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:09 PM
wasn't epitaph dying out anyways though?

leo3375
01-03-2005, 09:18 PM
wasn't epitaph dying out anyways though?

In 1994, Epitaph's value jumped from $5 million to over $60 million, thanks to a little album called Smash by a little band called the Offspring. Around this time, Epitaph owner Brett Gurewitz and his wife were going through a pretty nasty divorce, and since they didn't have a prenuptual agreement (or prenup), she was entitled to half of the company. It didn't help matters that Mr. Brett started using herion and was an addict until mid-1996, when he finally sought help for his addiction. Because of all of this, he wanted to sell at least part of Epitaph to a major label to save on assets (and not worry too much about having to buy the rest of the company back from his ex-wife-to-be). The Offspring, fearing that they would inevitably be part of the deal, realized that they really had no choice but to be on a major label, and decided that if that's the case, then they should choose the major label they want to be on.

To complicate matters, Mr. Brett denies ever putting Epitaph on the market. However, the label was indeed up for sale in 1996. Likewise, the Offspring weren't too happy with a contract offer Epitaph made, which included a life-insurance policy that would protect Epitaph financially if Offspring frontman Bryan "Dexter" Holland were to meet a premature and unfortunate death.

In the 10 years since Smash blew up, Epitaph is still the largest of the independent punk labels. Even though success nearly tore it apart in the mid-1990s it's bounced back quite nicely.

dirtybird
01-03-2005, 09:20 PM
oh.. oops. well i was only 4 when it was released so whatever.

(there's no chance of me not looking like a retard now, is there)

by the way.. i hope you copy and pasted alot of that..

leo3375
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Nope. It's my own words.

bouncingcoles
01-04-2005, 10:40 AM
in wich label is supposed to came the new cd?? not the GH butb the new NEW cd?? sony but they finished the contact or they will do it again??
mayeb they are returnig to eoitaph or will go into nitro yay!!

they probobly already renewed there contract with sony.