PDA

View Full Version : It's Andy's band!

Andy
10-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I am part of a band.
We are called the Conquistadors.
We recorded an EP in December 2006.
A laptop was then stolen containing everything but a CD with the initial recordings on, which then meant our producers only had the basic first tracks to work with.

However, ten months after recording, it is finally complete (well as complete as it could be using only a limited number of tracks) and I was handed a copy today. I'm quite happy with it.

Those of you with good memories would remember that I whored up our Myspace (www.myspace.com/conquistadorsmusic) a while back, and it had very raw and early versions of two of the songs featured on the EP. Fortunately, lots of you enjoyed them and now I'm quite proud to whore up the Conks again, complete with proper finished songs!

Of course, before you can hear it I need to find a reliable file uploading site...

coke_a_holic
10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Sendspace. Do it!

Andy
10-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Doing. Bear with me, my connection is balls.

Andy
10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Ah-ha!

Conquistadors // Out Of Experience E.P.

1 - D.C.D. http://www.sendspace.com/file/fbypuk
2 - The British Are Coming! http://www.sendspace.com/file/4c7197
3 - Avé Maria http://www.sendspace.com/file/ay7e7g
4 - Bitten In The Park http://www.sendspace.com/file/ufqaeu

Enjoy! hopefully

coke_a_holic
10-15-2007, 05:11 PM
WMA's? Mor liek WTF's amirite.

Uh, downloading, but I won't be able to listen because I'm just about to leave.

Andy
10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
WMA's? Mor liek WTF's amirite.

lol ur sorite

But yeah that's not a problem. I'm going to bed soon anyway, so I'll see the opinions tomorrow.

Jakebert
10-15-2007, 08:28 PM
So, is Andy's band full of assholes like Andy?

Because Andy is a huge asshole.

All About Eve
10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I've only listened to Ave Maria so far, which is excellent, but the file seems kind of glitchy. Might be my speakers, I don't know.

coke_a_holic
10-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I really like it! It's like some sort of horrifying mix between The Fall of Troy, Chiodos, The Mars Volta, and The Lawrence Arms. Which is a really good thing.

I don't know if I'd be able to pick a favorite song, but Ave Maria is great, The British Are Coming is unbelievably catchy, and Bitten In The Park is like a Fall of Troy song without the hardcore. Awesome.

Andy
10-16-2007, 11:20 AM
That's awesome. You've named three of our biggest influences already! (Mars Volta, Lawrence Arms, Fall of Troy)

The British Are Coming is really catchy yeah, we wanted to make a song that after a few listens will become almost impossible not to dance to. I think we've done well!

And yes Jakebert, we're all assholes. The other three weren't, but I'm such an asshole that my assholy nature envoloped them.

Meg
10-16-2007, 01:03 PM
D.C.D Is the oh-so-blatant winner for me!

jacknife737
10-16-2007, 06:29 PM
I gave the track on your myspace a listen "the British Are Coming" and I really liked it, its already been mentioned but, you guys defiantly have kind of a Lawrence Arms/None More Black vibe.

Meg
10-17-2007, 04:52 AM
I'm annoyed.... I downloaded them and now I can't find them on my windows media player library... Anyone else have that problem? Luckily D.C.D is working :D

Thomas
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Shoot. I enjoyed. I added you on myspace.

Dodongo
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Awful, but you're British, so I really wasn't expecting much.

Andy
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Can't please everyone. Still, six out of seven isn't bad.

T-6005
10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I really hate the vocalist's voice, on DCD at least. I am listening in order.

It's very... the type of sound I associate with British bands.

The second song is better, although I'm not much a fan of screaming. Still, I like the kind of fun hoppy feel this song's got to it. Almost a bass line I'd expect to hear in a ska song I'd actually enjoy at one point there. Fun.

Ave Maria's not bad - I think the voice finally fits something properly. At first, I thought the way everything sounded kind of washed out a little of the song's merit, but I changed my mind on that. It fits and gives it a little charm, too. There's definitely not enough of that nice little Ave Maria vocal hook, though.

I don't like Track four very much. The voice again.

I just don't like the voice, I guess.

Andy
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
That's fair enough, Thi*

On another note, we sent off a copy of our EP to a local e-zine type thing. It's very brief, but full of praise (which is nice).

"Conquistadors

www.myspace.com/conquistadorsmusic

Not many bands are quite as DIY as the Conquistadors (that's pronounced Kon--kwi-sta-dors if you didn't know), all working together to create sleeves for their EP 'Out Of Experience'. Having dealt with each of the four members temporarily moving when recording, having the master copy stolen and probably a few more setbacks on the way, it's finally finished. Is it worth the wait? In a word, yes.

'DCD' combines solid vocals, enjoyable guitar work and an overall confident feel that bodes well for this release, before 'The British Are Coming' shows further talent. Final track 'Bitten In The Park' is announced with a catchy dual guitar intro, before a spate of quick drums, loud vocals and continuously impressive guitars lead to an all round fantastic track. Yet the best offering here is favourite 'Avé Maria'.

Despite taking nearly two minutes to kick in, this is a fantastic track, which deserves to win praise galore. The Conks have done it. excellent EP."

(Taken from http://www.emtalentradio.co.uk/reviews/mostrecent.shtml)

*Yes, I'm considering calling you "Thi" because I'm cool.

mrconeman
11-04-2007, 01:09 PM
A little too modern British and indie for my taste. But I can't doubt that Ave Maria got my foot tapping, especially the build ups of guitar that led to the little drum fills.